• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One and Samsung 40in 1080p Smart HDTV for $500 (Best Buy 8/9)

Personaj

Neo Member
How are both of the new TVs? Me and my roommate were considering hopping on this bundle and selling the xbone but now we're just thinking of buying a TV to avoid the hassle of selling.

They're switching over the bumpers to ones that apparently behave more like the 360 bumpers. I know the Elite controller will already have them since it doesn't ship until late October but I wasn't sure when the regular controllers would switch over.

I had no idea, thanks! It would be nice to have the updated controller but I already have two and dont need any more.

The white controller that came with my white xbone has a faulty button, though. That little back/two squares button on left center. Not a big deal but annoying. I contacted microsoft to get it replaced but they told me that they would be sending me back a black controller so I said nevermind. I wanna hold on to the white.

Fushin

How are both of the new TVs? Me and my roommate were considering hopping on this bundle and selling the xbone but now we're just thinking of buying a TV to avoid the hassle of selling.

If you want a barebones 40" 1080p the Insignia isn't bad. Certainly not the same value as the Samsung was.

If you want a barebones 40" 1080p the Insignia isn't bad. Certainly not the same value as the Samsung was.

I actually prefer my 3-4 year old 39in Insignia to this bundle's Toshiba TV, at least when using it with my PC plugged in. The blacks look nicer on the new one, but I just couldn't get the colors to look right, especially on highlighted text. My Insignia even has an extra HDMI port over this Toshiba.

Mihos

Gold Member
For those getting their first xbox one please take some time in your first couple weeks of ownership to appreciate how quiet the console is and how amazing the controller feels with the rumble triggers. Also Forza Horizon 2 is an absolute must have, even if you don't like racing games, because it's just that good.

Ugh, my XBone is the loudest of the 3 systems, and I have them all side by side. Only my x51 gets louder.

This is a great deal, I would jump on it in a second if I could invent a need for another one.

Dynasty8

Ugh, my XBone is the loudest of the 3 systems, and I have them all side by side. Only my x51 gets louder.

This is a great deal, I would jump on it in a second if I could invent a need for another one.

I had the same issue. Contacted Microsoft and they helped me with it...now my X1 is very silent.

I sent my launch XB1 in 1 week after getting it becasue of the loud fan issue-and they sent a replacement at no charge- been quiet ever since

DJ88

I actually prefer my 3-4 year old 39in Insignia to this bundle's Toshiba TV, at least when using it with my PC plugged in. The blacks look nicer on the new one, but I just couldn't get the colors to look right, especially on highlighted text. My Insignia even has an extra HDMI port over this Toshiba.

Are you sure you changed the color space to RGB Full? Pretty sure that's the setting you use when hooking up a PC.

dci260

There must be something wrong with yours because that is not even remotely true. I have had a PS4 since launch, and while it is my "main" console, after getting the Xbox One it's only that much more apparent how truly loud the PS4 gets...

Pejo

there are best buy employees on the reddit forum I am apart of
this deal is also other bundles
they sold 12000 the first day

http://imgur.com/cduu1Vy

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3gjulu/best_buys_xbox_one40_inch_tv_deal_continues/

Well shit. I talked to my gf, and she wants a new TV, and I need to eventually play Scalebound.....but I still think this Christmas there will be better deals. That said, now that I see the deal is legit and they're expanding it to other TVs has got me thinking about it....what to do....

SheHateMe

Me and my coworker are working out a deal and if he can score this deal, we're going 60/40. I want the X1, he wants the TV.

$200 for an X1? I'll take that.

Only advice I can think of is to go for insurance on that shipment and make sure to package it with a shitload of cushioning. Otherwise if anything were to happen to it during shipment you'd be shit out of luck. When declaring the value for the insurance, put $380 (normal price plus tax) rather than the sale price.

And it may be too late but it would be a good idea to repeat in your listing that it is sold as-is with no returns just to cover your bases.

Dont forget that eBay and paypal both take large chunks out of your profit. Man that was a bad surprise for me when I sold something high dollar on ebay.

I just sold mine local for 300 flat. No tax no shipping no fees. End result I get the TV for $217 and they get a bone for $80 off.

jrDev

Only advice I can think of is to go for insurance on that shipment and make sure to package it with a shitload of cushioning. Otherwise if anything were to happen to it during shipment you'd be shit out of luck. When declaring the value for the insurance, put $380 (normal price plus tax) rather than the sale price.

And it may be too late but it would be a good idea to repeat in your listing that it is sold as-is with no returns just to cover your bases.

Dont forget that eBay and paypal both take large chunks out of your profit. Man that was a bad surprise for me when I sold something high dollar on ebay.

I just sold mine local for 300 flat. No tax no shipping no fees. End result I get the TV for $217 and they get a bone for $80 off.
Jesus, I forgot about eBays cuts...man, I want to sell local but I would rather not meet people...

Geneijin

That's not guaranteed. You'd be surprised how often and how quickly eBay sides with the buyer if he raises a dispute about the item not being "as described." You can force a return, even if you explicitly say no.

That's not guaranteed. You'd be surprised how often and how quickly eBay sides with the buyer if he raises a dispute about the item not being "as described." You can force a return, even if you explicitly say so.

You are correct but it doesnt hurt to put it there. Some people will see that and not try anything, others will fight (and probably win) anyway.

Lnkn52

The TV just died on me. It won't turn on. Anybody having issues with the Samsung TV?

Update: TV finally turned on. The power light button would continously blink with no picture on screen. Seemed like it was in some sort of sleep state.

Koppai

No rainchecks though guys. We had some lady come down and try to get in a managers face after she was told no on the phone and claimed a manager spoke to her rudely. I was right there when the manager was speaking to her and she was never once rude to the lady.

SMH.

I had no idea, thanks! It would be nice to have the updated controller but I already have two and dont need any more.

The white controller that came with my white xbone has a faulty button, though. That little back/two squares button on left center. Not a big deal but annoying. I contacted microsoft to get it replaced but they told me that they would be sending me back a black controller so I said nevermind. I wanna hold on to the white.

You would have been able to keep it, same deal with my day one controller that has a floating analog stick.

Aroll

It probably has less to do with NPD and more to do with clearing out stock before the holidays

Or, because Microsoft is rich as hell and can afford to eat the cost loss, they are really doing this to get more people to own their system, figuring long term they make that money back and then some through people investing in the Xbox ecosystem. How many of those sales translate to Xbox Live subs? How many of those people end up buying games on the xbox one (they make royalties, etc)?

Eating close to $280 per sale is interesting on its own, but they probably figure they will profit overall from the gained consumers long haul - and because Microsoft has so much money, they can make that bet. Sony definitely can't (especially now that they no longer make TV's - at least then, they could cut manufacturing costs and not really "lose anything" and make it look like a deal. Not anymore), and while Nintendo COULD probably do this should they really want to (they have almost recouped all of their lost cash assets and value), it wouldn't make a big enough difference.

You would have been able to keep it, same deal with my day one controller that has a floating analog stick.

Damn then I must have just gotten the wrong CSR that day. Told me it was up to me whether I wanted to send it in and get a black back, or keep the white. Maybe I should try again, am I still under warranty? How long have I even had this thing?

Hmm, well since a little before the MCC came out so less than a year.

BriGuy

The TV just died on me. It won't turn on. Anybody having issues with the Samsung TV?

Update: TV finally turned on. The power light button would continously blink with no picture on screen. Seemed like it was in some sort of sleep state.
I hope that's the extent of it. My first HDTV (a Samsung circa 2006) started doing something similar, and the blinking became progressively longer before it just outright refused to turn on altogether.

Hawk269

Is there a good place to get gaming calibration settings for the Samsung?

Someone posted settings a few pages back. I have a friend that is a profession calibrator and I am requesting him provide settings he is doing on his son's set. He has not said if he would as the pro calibrators usually don't allow it, but he may due to it being a lower end TV.

For the mean time, using the built in calibrating tool built into the Xbox One is a good start on setting it up for use with the Xbox One.

Hawk269

Que the 1TB being the standard sku!

You know man, I have a feeling it will and come the holidays the 1tb Sku will be $349.99 with the MCC games. I don't see them not having a $349.99 system because it gives them a price differential between them and the PS4. So I think you are onto something. All the special bundles, Forza 6, Halo 5, Madden are all 1TB Sku's.

nib95

Banned
I wonder if this could push sales of the Xbox One high enough to win this month's NPD? Have any other retailers chimed in with similarly competitive promotions, or is this still a BestBuy only show?

blakep267

I wonder if this could push sales of the Xbox One high enough to win this month's NPD? Have any other retailers chimed in with similarly competitive promotions, or is this still a BestBuy only show?
I think the madden bundle and gears bundle would have more of an effect

Hawk269

Best Buy only, which makes me think that this could be something Best Buy themselves are pushing. Not saying they are not getting any price protection from MS, but usually when MS does deals, they do it pretty much across the board. But it could be that next another major retailer will have a deal and the following week another retailer will.

A poster above was suggesting MS is footing the bill and eating $280 per bundle that is sold which is ludicrous in itself. Those TV sets were probably bought in bulk at a severe discount and the Xbox One's as I said may of got some price protection from MS. Standard retailers make only about $15-$20 per console sold, so I doubt best buy is eating all the loss without someone (MS) helping out a little.

NolbertoS

If the TV offer happens on Black Friday with the 1TB console, gonna finally complete owning all consoles this gen for the 4th straight gen. Rareplay and some other Ms games have peaked my interest.

Top Bottom