• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

bede-x

I'm about to start Dead Space 3 in co-op with a friend. Bought the game digitally on the XO marketplace and when I enter the game and try to do co-op, it asks for an online pass code. Where do I find that when the game is bought on the XO store?

93xfan

Banned
Hard Core Uprising and Geometry Wars 2 in the same week?!?!

Been waiting for these two for forever. I'm so happy right now.

I didn't even know that the Bullet Soul games existed! Is there any reason to have both or is Infinite Burst a "Director's Cut"-type upgrade?

CRZYSPZ

I didn't even know that the Bullet Soul games existed! Is there any reason to have both or is Infinite Burst a "Director's Cut"-type upgrade?

From my understanding the Infinite Burst version is more like a "Director's/Extended Cut" or "Complete Edition" with all the DLC content. At least, that's what people on reddit are saying.

EvB

I'm about to start Dead Space 3 in co-op with a friend. Bought the game digitally on the XO marketplace and when I enter the game and try to do co-op, it asks for an online pass code. Where do I find that when the game is bought on the XO store?

If you go to manage game, there may be some DLC you need to install under "ready to install"

Justinh

I've been wanting Hard Corps Uprising too, but I've been waiting for a sale...it's gone on sale on PSN over and over again. Does it ever go on sale on Xbox?

According to XBLDB (which seems like they haven't updated in months) it's been on sale a few times, but it hasn't been on sale for a good while now.
mDFhTdD.jpg

I'm very happy Hard Corps was added. I bought it a while ago hoping it would get added. I'm not sure why I took that gamble, but I'm glad I did.

Never heard of Bullet Soul. I'm going to need to investigate, it appears...

bede-x

If you go to manage game, there may be some DLC you need to install under "ready to install"

We found it, but it was actually a little more complicated. It isn't under manage game to begin with. First you have to download it at the title screen in-game under DLC content and after doing that it appears under manage game, where it has to be downloaded again. I wonder how it's done if the online pass isn't free like with DS3, because the only way would be to buy it..

But thanks for the reply.

DS3 seems to run very well (mostly 30fps) and it's also pretty good. Expected the worst since it doesn't have the best reputation, but it works very well as an action game and the production values are quite high.

Justinh

We found it, but it was actually a little more complicated. It isn't under manage game to begin with. First you have to download it at the title screen in-game under DLC content and after doing that it appears under manage game, where it has to be downloaded again. I wonder how it's done if the online pass isn't free like with DS3, because the only way would be to buy it..

But thanks for the reply.

DS3 seems to run very well (mostly 30fps) and it's also pretty good. Expected the worst since it doesn't have the best reputation, but it works very well as an action game and the production values are quite high.

Glad you figured out a way to get it working. Dammit that crap is soo tedious though. I had to do that in order to download all the cars for Forza Horizon which took forever because there's always like... a pause when dealing with the in-game shop stuff. Gears 2 and 3 too, but that stuff was less irritating because there was a lot less to "prime" for downloading.

bede-x

Glad you figured out a way to get it working. Dammit that crap is soo tedious though. I had to do that in order to download all the cars for Forza Horizon which took forever because there's always like... a pause when dealing with the in-game shop stuff. Gears 2 and 3 too, but that stuff was less irritating because there was a lot less to "prime" for downloading.

Yeah, it takes a little while to learn where everything is located, but it's just such a marvel having all these games on XO. I keep being impressed that it works at all, considering it's two different systems only a generation apart.

And I'm so happy I chose to buy 99% of my multiplatform games on 360 last generation.

Does it piss off anyone else that MS is almost certainly holding back Crackdown so they can have a cheap win at E3?

"And we're pleased to announce that Crackdown and Crackdown 2 are backwards compatible on the Xbox One right now!"

Yeah great, assholes, but how about you just make them backwards compatible now, or better yet six months ago, instead of withholding them until they give maximum PR value?

bede-x

Does it piss off anyone else that MS is almost certainly holding back Crackdown so they can have a cheap win at E3?

Nah. I understand completely if they want to use them as pre-order bonuses for Crackdown 3 or as a way to create a little awareness around the franchise. I'm ready to pre-order if the old games are part of the deal.

poodaddy

I'd be so happy if the following from my library gets BC treatment someday.

Anarchy Reigns
Asura's Wrath
El Shaddai
Hard Corps: Uprising
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Max Payne 3
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
OutRun Online Arcade
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Soul Calibur V
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition
Street Fighter X Tekken
Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix
Super Street Fighter IV
Tales of Vesperia
The King of Fighters XIII
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Damn....outside of the anime avatar and the Tales game our gaming interests are identical lol.

Jawmuncher

If this Resident Evil Code Veronica for PS4 is a PS2 to PS4 classic, than the game will probably be hitting Backwards Compatibility next week. Only reason I can see capcom going such a route on that console.

Dabanton

Still waiting for Max Payne 3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist.

And it's an impossible longshot as it was removed, but Outrun would be very much appreciated.

As long as they make Crackdown 1+2 release a decent amount of time before 3 comes out I'm ok with it.

Hate getting that sorta stuff on the same day... it's like, I wanna play the new one now not the old one, why didn't you give me this in the lead-up to make the wait easier? :|

EmiPrime

Fable Anniversary was a mess on 360. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason it's not BC yet is because it's hard to get working, crash and bug free.

Chitown B

Fable Anniversary was a mess on 360. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason it's not BC yet is because it's hard to get working, crash and bug free.

it was running on top of the original game. So, three layers may be rough.

Side note: Why is Deadly Premonition not BC?

CRZYSPZ

it was running on top of the original game. So, three layers may be rough.

Side note: Why is Deadly Premonition not BC?

I do remember on Facebook the development team saying the game wouldn't be backward compatible. Not sure if they were blabbering nonsense they actually had no idea about, or legitimately meant they weren't going to allow it (assuming that they have the authority to do so, not sure who owns the IP).

Hawk269

With all these 360 games getting the BC treatment it makes even more excited to see how much improvement we will see when Scorpio lands. The fact that almost every game runs better in BC on the Xbox One is a marvel.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
What are the odds of stuff like Strangkehokd or The Club?

Highly unlikely given they don't even have digital versions? Let alone what I assume are licensing nightmares?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
There really is no excuse for all first-party Microsoft games to not be on the service at this point, in my opinion.

Not true. I'm desperate for them to do PGR3 and 4, but I don't think that will ever happen due to car and music licensing.

They said all first party titles would be coming to BC, but I guess the get-out on that is that Bizarre wasn't first party...

EmiPrime

Highly unlikely given they don't even have digital versions? Let alone what I assume are licensing nightmares?

The Club is on Steam and it's a Sega game so it should make it. Don't know about Stranglehold.

I think it was Spencer who said that for games that don't have digital versions that they like to sort that out at the same time as making them BC. Sometimes that doesn't work out but the will from MS is there and most third parties are happy to oblige.

Naked Lunch

Vanilla Bullet Soul crashes as soon as you complete the true final boss on the second loop in B mode. It doesnt get past the end level score tally - goes to white screen and dashboards. You lose your level save for practice mode and no way to save your score.

They probably didnt have any testers crazy enough to 1cc the game. I tried it twice and I can confirm it - the first time I attempted to record a clip once I finished - and I thought the game dvr thing made it crash - the second time I didnt record anything and still the same crash. I hope they address this - but I can see something this obscure going by the wayside.

EmiPrime

Vanilla Bullet Soul crashes as soon as you complete the true final boss on the second loop in B mode. It doesnt get past the end level score tally - goes to white screen and dashboards. You lose your level save for practice mode and no way to save your score.

They probably didnt have any testers crazy enough to 1cc the game. I tried it twice and I can confirm it - the first time I attempted to record a clip once I finished - and I thought the game dvr thing made it crash - the second time I didnt record anything and still the same crash. I hope they address this - but I can see something this obscure going by the wayside.

I think this is one of the threads people at MS keep an eye on. You can try tweeting @wcstillwell if you have Twitter too.

Zeta Oni

Stranglehold?

Lol you cant even download the available patch for the game anymore even though it prompts you every time you start it, I highly doubt it will ever see the light of day outside of generation 7.

dLMN8R

"And we're pleased to announce that Crackdown and Crackdown 2 are backwards compatible on the Xbox One right now!"

Yeah great, assholes, but how about you just make them backwards compatible now, or better yet six months ago, instead of withholding them until they give maximum PR value?

You should spend more time in your life being happier and more content with what you have, instead of manufacturing arbitrary hypothetical scenarios to get pissed off at.

Last week I was browsing Netflix and saw Riddick, which remind me, I still have my copy of Dark Athena waiting to be played. It would be a good time to be added.

I hope the three saints row games go BC since they're like $2.50 this week.

Once again, there is very little correlation between the weekly sales and that weeks backwards compatibility announcements. By now it should be absolutely clear that publishers raise the price of backwards compatibility games and get additional sales. At this point in time I'd say the opposite was true for titles heavily discounted.

I wonder if it's technically possible for DOA4 to be BC : it had untransferrable save files, and as a consequence couldn't support cloud saves.

Oh! Did not know this. I guess I was finished playing it by the time cloud saves arrived on the 360. That could really hamper it being BC yes, it would almost require a patch for the game that'll never happen from Tecmo's side.

FyreWulff

unless they implemented per-console encryption or something I believe they just used the built in system to flag a save file untransferable, so MS could just update the 360 OS to ignore it.

Top Bottom