• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

Soup Bar

After doing a little digging, I can't believe there isn't a tennis game on PS4 or Xbox One. I was hoping the Virtua Tennis games or Top Spin would be on the list but no such luck. I some how got my wish with Daytona. So maybe some day with some if not all of the tennis games for 360.

Once again, there is very little correlation between the weekly sales and that weeks backwards compatibility announcements. By now it should be absolutely clear that publishers raise the price of backwards compatibility games and get additional sales. At this point in time I'd say the opposite was true for titles heavily discounted.

I almost agree with you. The truth is that publishers raise the price of BC games once they reach the BC program. I can give you several examples:

Bioshock 1 and Bioshock 2 were often dirty cheap (4.99) but since the day they became BC in December, the lowest they have been discounted is 9.99. Bioshock Infinite was 4.99 and 9.99 in the past, since December: 14.99 or 19.00.

On the other hand, you have mixed cases, like Red Dead Redemption, which was on sale the same week if became BC (in July) but it has not been as discounted ever since.

I don't know if this is happening for ALL BC games, but at least for a huge bunch of them.

My advice? Ifyou have 2.5 to spare, buy the Saint Row games, just in case

After doing a little digging, I can't believe there isn't a tennis game on PS4 or Xbox One. I was hoping the Virtua Tennis games or Top Spin would be on the list but no such luck. I some how got my wish with Daytona. So maybe some day with some if not all of the tennis games for 360.

I'd definitely love Top Spin 4, it's probably the most complete tennis game that has ever been done, problem is includes a good amount of licenses (all Grand Slams except Wimbledon, a good amount of Masters and the players). Besides, I guess the game did not sell very well if no new entry has been announced.

amdb00mer

I wonder if it's technically possible for DOA4 to be BC : it had untransferrable save files, and as a consequence couldn't support cloud saves.

Other games had this issue, but a title update allowed the game save to be transferred to the cloud. You just could not copy it. It had to be a total transfer to the cloud.

amdb00mer

I want one as well. I'd settle for EA's Grand Slam Tennis. It's possible, just have to re-license all the player's and venues. Impossible? No. Likely? Probably not.
On a side note, Rory McIlroy was not that great. It was ok, but Tiger Woods '14 was great. I would love for the license for it to be renewed (I think Augusta is the only one they had issues with, that's why it was never added to Rory McIlroy).

I almost agree with you. The truth is that publishers raise the price of BC games once they reach the BC program. I can give you several examples:

Bioshock 1 and Bioshock 2 were often dirty cheap (4.99) but since the day they became BC in December, the lowest they have been discounted is 9.99. Bioshock Infinite was 4.99 and 9.99 in the past, since December: 14.99 or 19.00.

On the other hand, you have mixed cases, like Red Dead Redemption, which was on sale the same week if became BC (in July) but it has not been as discounted ever since.

I don't know if this is happening for ALL BC games, but at least for a huge bunch of them.

Bought SR2 just for this reason. It may not come this week or next but if it does come at any point I would have only payed 2.5 for a pretty awesome game. And you can almost bet it won't be that cheap again after that, at least not for a long while.

What's the consensus on SR1? I never played that one and wonder if I should even bother getting it.

Bought SR2 just for this reason. It may not come this week or next but if it does come at any point I would have only payed 2.5 for a pretty awesome game. And you can almost bet it won't be that cheap again after that, at least not for a long while.

What's the consensus on SR1? I never played that one and wonder if I should even bother getting it.

Im hoping for saints row this week! its only a matter time since 4 is BC.

DarkCloud

I wonder if it's technically possible for DOA4 to be BC : it had untransferrable save files, and as a consequence couldn't support cloud saves.

I was just able to transfer both doa4 and xvb2's saves to the cloud. If this was an issue before, they've updated the OS so it's no longer an issue now.

I grabbed it last time it was on sale because you can't buy it digitally on PC anymore. It'll be a bonus if it goes BC

I would dare say saints row 4 is better than gta4. if was almost a launch title and did almost everything better. I remember playing a lot of sr1 and then got siked for gta4 and was pretty let down.

m23

This is probably the wrong thread to ask but I'll ask anyway. I played Walking Dead Season 1 on 360, is there any way to transfer my save to Walking Dead Season 2 on Xbox one?

Dominator

I bought Prey when it was on sale some point last year hoping it would become BC someday. I'm still waiting but I think it'll come eventually. That's one of my favorite 360 games.

I also really want Stranglehold, I love that game.

CRAIG667

Super Street Fighter 4 (not ultra)
and HD Remix today.

...Well not really, but I actually dreamt they were today's BC releases last night.
Would be happy if they were though.

playXray

Super Street Fighter 4 (not ultra)
and HD Remix today.

...Well not really, but I actually dreamt they were today's BC releases last night.
Would be happy if they were though.

I really want HD remix but with Ultra Street Fighter II likely coming to PS4 and hopefully XB1 at some stage, I'd say Capcom will do what they can to keep HD Remix off the BC program :(.

Oh, and where the FUCK is Fable Anniversary? I can't believe it skipped XB1 and hasn't even shown up on BC yet. Maybe the top dogs at MS simply can't believe that it ever missed XB1 and so keep forgetting to add it to BC.

Backlogger

I ended up grabbing SR2 even though I have it on PC

Sounds like the PC version runs terrible plus they never released the DLC on Steam. So seems owning it on console is the way to go.

Zeta Oni

Just take all those Capcom titles that were on sale and make them BC today, please.

It's not like I bought all of them or anything.....

Oh, and where the FUCK is Fable Anniversary?

I'd bet money its technical reasons keeping the game off BC, it's a very buggy game.

Moofers

Man, I keep coming in here looking for Cave shmups (Deathsmiles, etc) and I'm somehow surprised that they never come up. I guess I figured since 360 was like the only console a few of them came out on, they'd get the treatment sooner or later.

amdb00mer

I kind of hope we get the original Prey added to BC today. I wouldn't mind playing through it again.

Anybody here play Timeshift on BC yet? I never finished it. The game starts out making great use of the Timeshift abilities, but slowly devolves into only using the slow time feature as bullet time mechanic. If performance is good I might try to complete it.

Zeta Oni

Man, I keep coming in here looking for Cave shmups (Deathsmiles, etc) and I'm somehow surprised that they never come up. I guess I figured since 360 was like the only console a few of them came out on, they'd get the treatment sooner or later.

There's a post, can't remember if it's this thread or not, that talks about a game breaking glitch found in one of the more recently released shmups on BC.

It mentions that the glitch occurred after a 1cc run, so there's a good chance MS didn't have a tester good enough at the game to test something like that.

I would imagine that's probably holding alot of the shmup style games back, because if the game has to be tested front to back in order to see if there's any issues with the emulator, shmups are some of the hardest games to get into, especially with no prior experience.

I would imagine a lot of RPG's are held back for similar reasons, there's a lot to test.

I kind of hope we get the original Prey added to BC today. I wouldn't mind playing through it again.

Anybody here play Timeshift on BC yet? I never finished it. The game starts out making great use of the Timeshift abilities, but slowly devolves into only using the slow time feature as bullet time mechanic. If performance is good I might try to complete it.

I'm up to mission 4 or 5 I think, and the framerate is rock solid now. It's like playing a different game honestly, cause the performance on 360 was like playing a slide-show at times.

Moofers

There's a post, can't remember if it's this thread or not, that talks about a game breaking glitch found in one of the more recently released shmups on BC.

It mentions that the glitch occurred after a 1cc run, so there's a good chance MS didn't have a tester good enough at the game to test something like that.

I would imagine that's probably holding alot of the shmup style games back, because if the game has to be tested front to back in order to see if there's any issues with the emulator, shmups are some of the hardest games to get into, especially with no prior experience.

I would imagine a lot of RPG's are held back for similar reasons, there's a lot to test.
Interesting. I had no idea the games had to be fully tested.

Chris1

Interesting. I had no idea the games had to be fully tested.

Yep they play every game to 100% completion

Not quite sure what they mean by 100% though. Whether it's all unlocks etc or just all quests/missions.

Then if they run into any bugs or anything they need to go back and fix them. Luckily the emulator is in a much better state these days than it was at launch, so they run into less bugs and thus can put out games faster.

when nothing drops and u sad af :/

giphy.gif

rezn0r

This is probably the wrong thread to ask but I'll ask anyway. I played Walking Dead Season 1 on 360, is there any way to transfer my save to Walking Dead Season 2 on Xbox one?

I am in no way an expert but I don't think you can do it across platforms for season 1 to season 2, but season 2 to 3 could through the Telltale account option.

Susurrus

Trying to buy the first one using the website since I have the rest on other platforms anyway, but keep getting "Your purchase cannot be completed at this time. Please try again."

Oh well, I guess.

Top Bottom