• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

TheWatcher

Banned
You know what makes me happy? To see so many people in this thread joyous that their favorite games are being added to the list.

Humdinger

I picked up an Xbox One X in part because I wanted to play BC titles. After playing some BC titles, I realize I don't really want to play BC titles that much. Jade Empire was a nice dose of nostalgia, but I don't want to go through the game again. It's nice to see how they improved Oblivion and Morrowind, but I'm not going to spend 100-200 hours going through those epics again. I picked up some other titles (e.g., Kotor), but I don't feel like playing them. Turns out, I'd rather play a new game than an old one.

I picked up an Xbox One X in part because I wanted to play BC titles. After playing some BC titles, I realize I don't really want to play BC titles that much. Jade Empire was a nice dose of nostalgia, but I don't want to go through the game again. It's nice to see how they improved Oblivion and Morrowind, but I'm not going to spend 100-200 hours going through those epics again. I picked up some other titles (e.g., Kotor), but I don't feel like playing them. Turns out, I'd rather play a new game than an old one.

*looks at avatar*

flS7xgG.gif

I'm sure that you have an imaginary Xbox One X and that your mum really respects the fact that you're unemployed and have $20 in Bitcoins saved up.

Move your console war elsewhere, peasant. The rest of us (genuine gamers) are busy playing games (on all platforms), irrespective of their release date. Pro-tip: You're not welcome in these parts.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

I have 100% so many BC games. Like Mass Effect 2 and 3, Bayonetta, Dead Space 1 and 2, and finished many more. I am finishing Splinter Cell Double Agent now (had played on the PC back in the day) and will start Splinter Cell Conviction next (never played it).

cireza

I'd rather play Panzer Dragoon Orta in glorious HD than the newest open world game with fetch quests and tedious gameplay.

I’ve been going hog wild on BC titles. Best feature this Gen for me.

I just finished Dead Space 3 last night. I know lots of people hated it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, enough that it was my second time through (beat it on PS3 years back). I actually just started a new game plus mode today, just to see what it does (not much).

Ulysses 31

I’ve been going hog wild on BC titles. Best feature this Gen for me.

I just finished Dead Space 3 last night. I know lots of people hated it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, enough that it was my second time through (beat it on PS3 years back). I actually just started a new game plus mode today, just to see what it does (not much).
Skipping the Severed DLC? =((((

*looks at avatar*

flS7xgG.gif

I'm sure that you have an imaginary Xbox One X and that your mum really respects the fact that you're unemployed and have $20 in Bitcoins saved up.

Move your console war elsewhere, peasant. The rest of us (genuine gamers) are busy playing games (on all platforms), irrespective of their release date. Pro-tip: You're not welcome in these parts.

Unless you've got other evidence, isn't this a tad presumptive on your part? I would say I'm 100% platform agnostic at this point. I have all the major consoles, most of which for a single franchise or even game (PC for Destiny 2).

I bought an X for the Master Chief Collection in 4k and am still waiting on that one. Since then, I've scoured high and low for some backwards compatible enhanced games to make use of and aside from SSX3, I've yet to find any that are truly captivating.

A lot of these games are in genres that have been iterated on so heavily that there are just so many that are straight antiquated at this point. That's not to say the value proposition isn't there. Trips down memory lane can be very satisfying. Expensive and brief. But satisfying.

Naked Lunch

So many amazing Japanese games on BC. EDF2025 is a real gem. Complete with 4 player online co-op and quite a few lobbies running it when I played last night. Ive been tinkering with Guwange, Guardian Heroes, Virtua On, Jet Set Radio, and Radiant Silvergun. Its crazy how xb1 basically runs Dreamcast's (and some of Saturn's) greatests hits - its an HD retro sega machine.

We still need a couple major BC games though. My main omissions:
Armored Core (For Answer and Verdict Day in particular)
Ace Combat 6
Bangai-O
Bionic Commando Rearmed 1
DeathSmiles
Lost Planet 2

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Why am I just finding out splinter cell blacklist is BC. Need to get some folks to do some classic Spies Vs Mercs. They announced conviction, but not this....that's just wrong.

Humdinger

*looks at avatar*

lol, defensive. Projection, too. Two fer.

Unless you've got other evidence, isn't this a tad presumptive on your part?

Yes it is. Thank you. But it's fine, I'm used to console warriors and their stupid, knee-jerk responses.

Actually I've spent most of my gaming life as an Xbox guy (OG, 360), and that was part of why I was excited to relive the glory days of yesteryear. Turns out, I was kidding myself. Sometimes things seem better in my imagination than they are in reality. Oh well, lesson learned (again).

I bought an X for the Master Chief Collection in 4k and am still waiting on that one.

Yeah, that's the one game left on my list that I think I'd enjoy replaying.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
*looks at avatar*

flS7xgG.gif

Xbox gamers are fake gamers now.

rmatheso

With Dante's Inferno, we need more 3rd person hack and slash games:

Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3/Razors Edge
Conan
Beowulf
Clash of the Titans
Ninja Blade
Castlevania LOS 1 and 2
X-Men: Origins Wolverine

RAIDEN1

Lost Planet 2 was a shadow of a great game that was the first entry in the series...shame there hasn't been anymore...

Thiagosc777

360: plenty of frame drops to low 20s and sometimes lower (like 15 fps), and screen tearing
X1: stable 30 most of the time with occasional drops to mid 20s
X1X: locked 30 most of the time

Last edited:
Nice myspace journal entry👍, It would've been better if you posted it there because guess what? NOBODY gives a shit if you got bored talking to Smiling Mountain in Jade Empire and fell asleep. It also makes you look like a little bitch posting about how bored you get with b/c games in a b/c thread.

I picked up an Xbox One X in part because I wanted to play BC titles

If you want to play "BC titles" then stop selling your old games and consoles. It's pretty darn easy.

It also makes you look like a little bitch posting about how bored you get with b/c games in a b/c thread.

Pretty awful response given that this entire board is people posting about not liking things in threads about that thing. This is kind of how message boards work, bud.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Nice myspace journal entry👍, It would've been better if you posted it there because guess what? NOBODY gives a shit if you got bored talking to Smiling Mountain in Jade Empire and fell asleep. It also makes you look like a little bitch posting about how bored you get with b/c games in a b/c thread.

You seem very angry at my opinion. Maybe grow up?

TheWatcher

Banned
I am hoping Codemasters gives the BC permission to release Rise of the Argonauts, a very underrated action RPG.

I am also totally on board with the dude that mentioned more hack and slash titles. Still have yet to finish Conan.

Thiagosc777

I have finished Splinter Cell Double Agent, it was pretty good. Now I am playing Conviction. I am shocked at what a giant shitshow this game is. It's so bad. It's not only that they changed it into an action game, a third person game with bad controls, but they added stupid stuff like showing texts on walls.

At one point it said "Anger" on one of those wall texts. It's like the developers believe the player is too dumb to even understand what is going on and need to be told how to feel.

I'm also playing through Conviction (finished it previously on Steam) and loving it. My views on games seem to be at odds with many users on here. Loved Rage, Dead Space 3, Conviction - 3 games that a lot of gaffers seem to loathe.

thisisneogaf.gif

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm also playing through Conviction (finished it previously on Steam) and loving it. My views on games seem to be at odds with many users on here. Loved Rage, Dead Space 3, Conviction - 3 games that a lot of gaffers seem to loathe.

thisisneogaf.gif
I loved how different Conviction felt. It put in the role of the predator, which was a different flavor. Made me feel like Jack Bauer.

I loved how different Conviction felt. It put in the role of the predator, which was a different flavor. Made me feel like Jack Bauer.

Yep. I guess that I just enjoy a game for what it is, not necessarily what people are expecting from it - either based on prior entries in a series, or prior games from a publisher. Dead Space 3 was a different beast than 1 and 2, for sure, and I'm cool with that.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Yep. I guess that I just enjoy a game for what it is, not necessarily what people are expecting from it - either based on prior entries in a series, or prior games from a publisher. Dead Space 3 was a different beast than 1 and 2, for sure, and I'm cool with that.
I still need to play that one. Do you suggest Co op or solo for a first playthrough?

Oemenia

Banned

360: plenty of frame drops to low 20s and sometimes lower (like 15 fps), and screen tearing
X1: stable 30 most of the time with occasional drops to mid 20s
X1X: locked 30 most of the time
I remember playing the demo of that game and thinking that this must be one early build. Then the real game came out and it was just as bad.

Thiagosc777

Because sneaking and waiting for the right time to snap someone's neck isn't a predator behavior? Instead fighting waves of enemies while hiding behind cover is?

Even as an action game, it is bad. The execution mechanic is just silly. What is the point of that? Rewarding a melee takedowns by giving you free kills? The texts on walls were just lazy. It seems they didn't even want to think how to design levels and missions that were intuitive or interesting. They just dump instructions on the walls.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Because sneaking and waiting for the right time to snap someone's neck isn't a predator behavior? Instead fighting waves of enemies while hiding behind cover is?

Even as an action game, it is bad. The execution mechanic is just silly. What is the point of that? Rewarding a melee takedowns by giving you free kills? The texts on walls were just lazy. It seems they didn't even want to think how to design levels and missions that were intuitive or interesting. They just dump instructions on the walls.
To each their own, I played the previous SC games as stealthy as possible and didn't engage in any combat unless necessary, thus I felt more like a predator rather than a ghost in Conviction. Don't see why you felt the need to jump down my throat simply because I have a differing opinion, but whatever.

Last edited:

Artistic

Been playing through Blacklist since I was found out it was available through XB1's BC program...been itching to play it since I never completed it during its first release. SP on Realistic has a satisfying difficulty curve I'm enjoying so far with the only nitpick possibly being the customization of Sam Fisher(don't mind it so much in MP).

Put a good amount of time in Spies vs. Mercs years ago, only played one match so far and enjoyed it. Going to need to play more and also purchased Double Agent as well to see which Splinter Cell MP experience I would prefer.

pawel86ck

Banned
You seem very angry at my opinion. Maybe grow up?
There are many xbox fanboys here unfortunately. When I have also posted my honest opinion in regards to Xbox X and BC (basically saying it's a mixed bag) I have seen the same funny responses from the same guys LOL. "You dont know what you are talking about" (alhough I have provided evidence), "you dont have Xbox X" (although I have provided many screenshots from Xbox X games).

I also think BC is very great feature but some xbox fanboys are really extreme and you basically cant say ANYTHING bad in regards to xbox.

cireza

but some xbox fanboys are really extreme and you basically cant say ANYTHING bad in regards to xbox.
This applies only to Xbox for sure.

And concerning what someone else said earlier, keeping your 360 or Xbox OG does not offer the same experience as playing games on Xbox One as they have many improvements. Stable frame rates, short loading times. Not even talking about those that are 4k enhanced. My Xbox OG certainly doesn't play Panzer Dragoon Orta like my X does.

Last edited:

Humdinger

There are many xbox fanboys here unfortunately. When I have also posted my honest opinion in regards to Xbox X and BC (basically saying it's a mixed bag) I have seen the same funny responses from the same guys LOL. "You dont know what you are talking about" (alhough I have provided evidence), "you dont have Xbox X" (although I have provided many screenshots from Xbox X games).

I also think BC is very great feature but some xbox fanboys are really extreme and you basically cant say ANYTHING bad in regards to xbox.

Thanks, appreciate it.

I was a little surprised, because I was just talking about my own experience, not making a criticism of Xbox. I actually think the BC program is great. I mean, the programming team was able to accomplish some serious wizardry, bringing OG games up to 16 x what their native resolution was. That is f*cking impressive. I was just saying that for me, the experience of actually playing the old games didn't live up to my hopes or imagination. That happens. No big deal.

I'm glad others are enjoying it. It's a real value proposition for people who love re-visiting the old games.

Top Bottom