• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One blocks used games. Offline Pass confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone needs to stop jumping the gun with their Sony praise. There's a good chance the PS4 could use this system too since EA cancelled their whole Online Pass system.

The difference is Microsoft HAS announced they're doing it, and Sony has given no indication they're doing it. People can say all they want about what Sony might do but we know FOR SURE that Microsoft is doing it. So I'm definitely dumping XBox.

Einbroch

Banned
So you don't need the disk once you install it?

I can imagine groups getting together to "buy" a single game, pass it around, pay whatever the cost is, and save massively on games.

College campuses could be a breeding ground for this.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yoshida already confirmed Sony isn't doing this.

He confirmed they wouldn't block used games. Which is exactly what MS will say. Used games work just fine. You just have to pay a fee.

It's bullshit and the same system will hit the PS4.

XBox One is going to bomb harder than the WiiU. What the fuck is this shit?

On a hypothetical, if PS4 follows suit, this would help to explain EA's decision to abandon the WiiU.

The industry deserves to fucking crash.

So what's the actual word on this? Used games are out completely Or is it just a $5 fee like with EA's online passes? If its a $5 fee no fucks given.

They didn't announce any of the details about the pricing.

This seems like it follows the model of Steam, but for consoles. When you buy a Steam game at retail, you get an activation code, and the disc is only used for installation. I can't give my friend my copy of Portal 2 for Steam and expect it to work for him. This gives you the benefit that all of your games are available to you no matter which console you're on.

MS just released this quote to The Verge too: "We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games"

Doesn't sound like they are blocking used games. It just won't be as simple as giving someone a disc.

Ponn

Banned
I agree with this. There's nothing stopping you from selling the game you purchased, but they've completely destroyed the market for used games. If the activation fee is $30-40, the going price for the actual disc itself will be virtually nothing. You are practically selling an install disc.

BINGO! ding ding ding, we have a winner!

mr stroke

Welcome to PC gaming, guys.

yep

They started this-

Us7lYm3.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
Nintendo and Sony got next gen in the bag.

You know, while I am only dead-set on getting a PS4 right now, I still may pick up a Wii-U down the road. This huge slab of concrete all-in-one Xbox is simply awful in every regard. Hell, I am actually rooting for Nintendo to get it together now.

starmud

my head hurts,

i fear only nintey can save us now, and they can't even save themselves.

debating on if to support or not to support certain publishers on ps4 will be hard ;____; sony at least confirmed they believe an open market for first party titles?

EA is completely out of my vocab when it comes to consoles.

Everyone needs to stop jumping the gun with their Sony praise. There's a good chance the PS4 could use this system too since EA cancelled their whole Online Pass system.

While that very well could be true, until Sony actually says it/annouces it, Microsoft deserves the bashing it's getting right now for the "Fee to activate on second system" bullshit.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I'm still in, just means I'll buy less games for it. Not going to pay full price for something I can't resell.

Only way this really works is if they pull steam like sales.

eXcelon7574

Neo Member
Here's a question. The Xbox One comes with a 500GB hard drive. These blu-ray disc games are pretty large so if I install all my games and play without a disc and eventually run out of space, do I need to keep the disc's to re-install the games I delete? or can I just download them off of Xbox Live since I have the game registered with my account?

Kusagari

If Sony does it, it will likely be up to the publisher instead of mandated like MS's.

Which means EA, Ubi and Acti are certainly going to do it on PS4 too. Why wouldn't they?

Ushae

Banned
How is this different to Steam? There are no specifics on this just yet, it's a means of cutting all the ubisoft/EA BS online passes.

Could it reflect in the retail prices of games? Cheaper games?

ultrazilla

Ah that explains EA ditching the online pass. With one time activation codes, there's no need for that.

I called it as well as a few others in the EA ditches online pass thread.

No need to use it when the system will block used games.

Thanks MS for doing this and saving me money.

PS4, WiiU and PC will do my just fine.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How is this different to Steam? There are no specifics on this just yet, it's a means of cutting all the ubisoft/EA BS online passes.

If they had sales similar to Steam sales, I'd be all over this.

MechaX

I'm starting to think that the activation fee might even be higher than $30. If it was only half price, that highly incentives one guy to buy the game, and then pass it along to friends for half-price (which is actually better than the current Gamestop regime around a game's launch by selling a used game for $54-50 and slowly working downward). Since that scenario is such an obvious exploit, I have to wonder how expensive the fee actually will be. I mean, yeah, $30 to the publishers is better than the current system where they get nothing, but if there is a way to nickle-and-dime players more...

Clunker

If the fee is low this would actually be a cheap way to buy new games. I'm going to wait to see the implementation of this before getting angry.
Serious question to all of the people espousing this possible theory of "gaming the system to get games for cheap" - do you honestly think that Microsoft and all of the publishers involved in the decision haven't already thought of this scenario? Like, somehow they got all the way through to this conference, and then they start reading forum threads and they slap their hands to their foreheads and say "Oh man, that's a loophole we hadn't even considered! Dave, you're fired!"

If Sony has any brains at all, they'll do away with any similar plans they may have had, if they had any at all. The decision between having to deal with this used game fee bullshit and not dealing with it is a very easy one for most i'd think.

He confirmed they wouldn't block used games. Which is exactly what MS will say. Used games work just fine. You just have to pay a fee.

It's bullshit and the same system will hit the PS4.

He said that he believes gamers should have the same value in a physical copy of a game, new or used no matter where they choose to play it. Kind of hard to have the same value if you have to pay to activate on your friend's console wouldn't you say?

Cat

I'm willing to give some time to see how this further develops. It does not bode well, but sometimes things get said/worded in a way that people jump to conclusions. It may be as bad as it seems, it may not; time will tell. From the info given so far, it does sound bad.

Marcel

Steam sales. And no, greed wins.

The whole conference was a fucking farce. From the horrible screaming in the audience (either pre-recorded or some fake idiots) to the presentation itself. Also very disappointed in no Alan Wake 2.
It was hilarius seeing the cheerleaders in the first seat row celebrating even Fifa ultimate team like it was FFVII remake.Embarrasing.
Funny also the 5 billion transistors thing.With the ESRAM they probably win Sony in this...

So is it true that if I have an account for the children and an account for us, I have to pay an extra fee for the family to play the same game?

*sigh*

Hey, remember seven years ago when people guaranteed that Sony would also charge a fee to play online just like XBL Gold?

Just because MS is making a butthole-y, anti consumer decision, it doesn't mean Sony will too.

Goldmund

Here's a question. The Xbox One comes with a 500GB hard drive. These blu-ray disc games are pretty large so if I install all my games and play without a disc and eventually run out of space, do I need to keep the disc's to re-install the games I delete? or can I just download them off of Xbox Live since I have the game registered with my account?
Maybe the incentive to keep the discs and not sell them is part of the design.

snap0212

If Sony has any brains at all, they'll do away with any similar plans they may have had, if they had any at all. The decision between having to deal with this used game fee bullshit and not dealing with it is a very easy one for most i'd think.
Sony probably has good intentions but they're a terrible company when it comes to just making up rules publishers then have to follow. Whatever it is that publishers want, it'll be on PS4 as well. If this offline pass is exactly what they want then it'll be on Sony's system, no doubt.

foxdvd

Serious question to all of the people espousing this possible theory of "gaming the system to get games for cheap" - do you honestly think that Microsoft and all of the publishers involved in the decision haven't already thought of this scenario? Like, somehow they got all the way through to this conference, and then they start reading forum threads and they slap their hands to their foreheads and say "Oh man, that's a loophole we hadn't even considered! Dave, you're fired!"

if the "fee" for activation is 30-40 bucks...they probably don't care if people pass it around.

MIMIC

Banned
Da fuq?

Not being able to loan my games to a friend is bad enough, but if I'm reading this right, the same system with 2 different accounts has the same outcome?

As someone who has a dummy account on my PS3 to stop people shitting up my own saves thanks to most if not all games having autosave, this is a big fucking deal and I pray to the gaming gods Sony doesn't follow suit.

LOL, I didn't even think about this. I have a dummy account on my Xbox 360 that I let my brother use (so he doesn't unlock any achievements for games on my personal account). He would have to PAY to use a game on the dummy account on the same system?

LULZ.

Struct09

Sounds like there's more to the story: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-may-require-game-installs-close-out-used-game-market/

Update: In a post answering "top questions" about the Xbox One, the official Microsoft page notes the system "does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet." Additionally Microsoft notes that in the case of pre-owned software, the Xbox one is designed "to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We'll have more details to share later." The Q&A makes no mention of the fees confirmed by Microsoft to Wired.

bj00rn_

Banned
Stephen Totilo
@stephentotilo
As we reported, discs must be installed. Games run off hard-drive. Have to be registered. We'll find out more.

After more than 600 replies I still don't get what that have to do with a so-called confirmation of MS blocking used games.

It would make more sense if every game was automatically tied to your account if you wanted to play it without having to insert the disc after you installed it. And then you could still take the game to your friend's house, install it and play the game with the disc in the tray. And if your friend wanted to keep playing the game after you took the disc home with you, he would have to pay a fee to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom