• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One blocks used games. Offline Pass confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celegus

I just hope this news hits the mainstream and people don't buy this turd without realizing it won't played used games, and then support it anyway.

I don't mind though, Microsoft just made my purchasing decision way way easier. Heck, the WiiU sounds way better than this thing.

beje

Banned
Completely explains the outcome of the "unprecedented partnership" with Nintendo: they didn't want EA to fuck their customers over and EA in exchange cut support.

Seronei

After more than 600 replies I still don't get what that have to do with a so-called confirmation of MS blocking used games.

It would make more sense if every game was automatically tied to your account if you wanted to play it without having to insert the disc after you installed it. And then you could still take the game to your friend's house, install it and play the game with the disc in the tray. And if your friend wanted to keep playing the game after you took the disc home with you, he would have to pay a fee to do so.

That wouldn't make any sense at all since it would mean more used games sales. Everyone who bought new games would just sell their copy after activating it, people who doesn't care about not needing the disc will have an easier time finding used copies > lower used games prices.

BrunoM

I honestly was sad by these press the only thing they may have going for them is that the did show the system and even then I find the system blaaaa lol

But now to important stuff https://mobile.twitter.com/undefined/status/336919770769272832 the system will not play used games and the price for the used game to be played will be set at 9.99

And as we all know the system won't play xbox360 games !!

I was sad 1 hour and not one live gameplay demo wtf ???

I agree with this but I get the impression that you'll be able to play used games that have been installed without paying a fee as long as you keep the disc in the drive.

This is my take on it.

Compulsory install does NOT mean that they cannot allow the game to play if the disc is in the drive.

Only problem with my theory is that allows two people to play a game for $60. Then again Sony already does this.

Fox Mulder

Its been fun MS, but I guess you've moved on. I will never buy a console that does this shit.

It'll be interesting to see if the industry is in for a sales shock when used games are blocked.

pulga

Banned
Fuck off, Microsoft. Never buying your shit excuse of a console thanks to this nplease dont follow suit, Sony.

Is this serious? How do we know it's not just like an installed game on the current 360, where you just need to have the disc in the drive for verification?

Because it's been confirmed over and over by multiple sources who already knew this.

You stick a disc in.
It checks if it's been installed before.
If not, it installs it. Disc is now worthless.
If so, it checks online for the current price of the game on the market, and then asks you to pay that before it works.

Games do not run off of the disc. All games have to be installed. Period. The disc is only to install.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
this

It's not like MS is doing this just for themselves. If third parties can get a chunk of the used fee change then it's not beyond reason that we could see more third party exclusives preferring an XBO/PC future.

Then I guess we all better hope XBO turns out to be a big failure in sales so that those publishers have no opportunity to do that.

It feels weird hoping for something to be a financial failure, but in this case it's totally justified.

Robso

Hey, remember seven years ago when people guaranteed that Sony would also charge a fee to play online just like XBL Gold?

Just because MS is making a butthole-y, anti consumer decision, it doesn't mean Sony will too.

That wasn't upto the developers though. I really hope you're right, I really do. I just can't see developers gaining extra cash from one system, and then losing out on the next and basically losing those gained profits they make from MS.

EA also dropping online passes seems fishy as well.

Tuck

Need to know more information. I don't buy used games often but I don't really want to support such lousy business practices.

Never been much of an Xbox guy though so it probably wont matter. I'll stick with the PS4 and Wii U.

I am currently borrowing Arkham City from a friend. With the Xbox One, I would've had to have paid MS to do that? Retarded.

Yeah, this is what pisses me off. It's not just used games. You can't rent games. You can't borrow games. It's fucking ridiculous how Microsoft (and game publishers) are trying to push their weight around.

Iorv3th

Multiple gamers in my house and multiple systems so we can both be playing at the same time (different games obviously).

Fuck you microsoft I'm not buying this and having to pay twice for me and my wife to play a single player game on different consoles/accounts.

george_us

To everyone saying PS4 is going to do this: What evidence do you have that leads you to this conclusion? No one, not even EDGE, has reported Sony would be blocking used games AND we have Yoshida saying that the PS4 wouldn't have any kind of system in place.

This is my take on it.

Compulsory install does NOT mean that they cannot allow the game to play if the disc is in the drive.

Things we know...

Compulsory installs. This means you have to install the game to be able to play the game. This has been confirmed.

For any additional accounts you must pay to install the game. Once installed, the second account "owns" the game and can then play it without the disc. This has also been confirmed.

There isn't any real room for discussion here knowing these two facts.

Barakov

Gold Member
Bad move Microsoft. This will just make me even more choosy about which games I buy. IF Sony goes down the same road then I will most likely wait for price drops on most games.

Chake

Banned
So it's the same as an online pass. But for the whole game?

Also, it is a good time to buy a 360 since X1 doesn't have BC?

As shitty as this is, I don't buy used games or sell my games. I usually buy new games at discounted prices or if I really want it I'll pay full price.

And? So what about people who might have two Xbox One's. I have 3 Xbox 360's; one for me, and one for my kid rooms. So you mean to tell me that if my daughter wants to play a game that we already own, she has (well I have to) to pay for play it on her system?

No dice.

ultrazilla

Define "fee."

(Like, an additional $60?)

I'd sure as hell bet on it.

Look, they didn't put this feature into the box to only charge 20-30 for a used game activation fee.

They'll charge a full $60 fee which will effectively kill the second hand game market(for their system).

I wonder how much this re-activation fee is going to be:

1. something akin to 10-15, but it deactivates the original system.
2. something akin 50-55... but only microsoft and the publisher(maybe) get a cut. Basically getting Gamestop out of the equation of the used game market.

Shaneus

Because it's been confirmed over and over by multiple sources who already knew this.

You stick a disc in.
It checks if it's been installed before.
If not, it installs it. Disc is now worthless.
If so, it checks online for the current price of the game on the market, and then asks you to pay that before it works.

Games do not run off of the disc. All games have to be installed. Period. The disc is only to install.
Jesus fuck, lay off dude. There was nothing in the OP that indicated this.

Loudninja

To everyone saying PS4 is going to do this: What evidence do you have that leads you to this conclusion? No one, not even EDGE, has reported Sony would be blocking used games AND we have Yoshida saying that the PS4 wouldn't have any kind of system in place.
Yeah I think that is the big difference here.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
From google cache, the removed Q&A

Editor’s Note: Today is an exciting day for Xbox. This morning we shared our vision for a new generation of games, TV and entertainment. We wanted to address some top questions we’ve seen from our fans, so here we go.

Q: Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?
A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.

Q: How do consumers benefit by being connected to the cloud?
A: The cloud makes every experience better and more accessible. Because Xbox One is powered by the cloud:

Your games have more power available to create new gameplay, persistent worlds, and deeper experiences.
Your system and games can update automatically, so you shouldn’t have to wait for downloads or updates.
Your games and entertainment are stored and saved in the cloud, so you can access them anytime, from any Xbox One.*
Start a game, movie, or TV show on one console and finish exactly where you left off on another.
You can play multiplayer games with your friends, stream movies or TV shows right away, and enjoy the community and social features of Xbox Live.
Xbox One can recognize you, log you in and tailor your home screen just for you.

You can discover what your friends are playing, watching and listening to if they choose to share.
These are just a few examples of how customers benefit from our platform being connected to the Internet. It brings the future of TV and games to our consumers—and it’s designed for today and the decade ahead.

* Subject to content geographical restrictions.

Q: When will Xbox One launch and in what markets?
A: Xbox One will launch in markets around the world later this year. We’ll have more to share later.

Q: Can I use my current gamertag on Xbox One and will my Gamerscore and Achievements transfer?
A: Yes. Your current Xbox Live Gamertag will stay with you on Xbox One if you choose to keep it, and your hard-earned Gamerscore and Achievements will indeed carry over from Xbox 360.

Q: Will Xbox One be backward compatible with my existing games?
A: Xbox One hardware is not compatible with Xbox 360 games. We designed Xbox One to play an entirely new generation of games—games that are architected to take full advantage of state-of-the-art processors and the infinite power of the cloud. We care very much about the investment you have made in Xbox 360 and will continue to support it with a pipeline of new games and new apps well into the future.

Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?
A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later.

Q: Will my current Xbox Live Gold membership work with Xbox One or will I have to buy a new one?
A: You do not need to buy a new Xbox Live Gold membership. Your current membership will work on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Q: Why require Kinect with every Xbox One?
A: The all new Kinect is now an essential and integrated part of the platform. By having it as a consistent part of every Xbox One, game and entertainment creators can build experiences that assume the availability of voice, gesture and natural sensing, leading to unrivaled ease of use, premium experiences and interactivity for you.

Q: Do I need to have a specific cable or satellite TV provider to watch live TV on Xbox?
A: Our goal is to enable live TV through Xbox One in every way that it is delivered throughout the world, whether that’s television service providers, over the air or over the Internet, or HDMI-in via a set top box (as is the case with many providers in the US). The delivery of TV is complex and we are working through the many technologies and policies around the world to make live TV available where Xbox One is available.

Q: Xbox One is a more powerful product compared to Xbox 360, but does it also use more power?
A: No. By providing multiple power states in Xbox One, we’ve balanced energy efficiency with functionality. We’ve taken a completely different approach to how Xbox One consumes power. It only uses the power it needs at that particular moment for the task at hand.

Not really. It just means Microsoft isn't entirely destroying the used game ecosystem. They don't destroy the disc after you install. You can still sell it, but now someone else will have to pay Microsoft and/or the publisher to actually make the disc work.

Which means on release day, a few hours after release, there will be a flood of "used" games for any given title. It doesn't make sense. The only way it makes sense is if MS charges near full-price for this "fee".

That wouldn't make any sense at all since it would mean more used games sales. Everyone who bought new games would just sell their copy after activating it, people who doesn't care about not needing the disc will have an easier time finding used copies > lower used games prices.

The activation fee price would remain static. MS, publishers, etc don't care about how much the game costs in the used market, they only care about getting a price of that very lucrative pie and this allows them to do this.

CronoShot

LikeABoss-41-nope.gif

What happens if you want to play games 20 years from now on your Xbox One and the activation servers no longer exist? Will they just not work?

RetroStu

Banned
Yeah, this is what pisses me off. It's not just used games. You can't rent games. You can't borrow games. It's fucking ridiculous how Microsoft (and game publishers) are trying to push their weight around.

Its so wrong imo, there should be laws stopping stuff like this, why should i be told what i can and can't do with something i have paid good money for?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom