• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One blocks used games. Offline Pass confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So are they going to sell new copies of every game forever?

No one is willing to pay full price for everything. Even if you don't get is used you can wait for a price drop. If there are effectively no used games then the price will stay higher longer and if long enough goes by what do you do? Do you try to find a copy online from someone for free + shipping so you can pay the price to install it?

This would never stand in the movie industry. If Junior's DVD only worked on the first DVD player he inserted it there would be a special session of congress called to undo that shit pronto. It's only because the games industry is still seen as the domain of kiddies that no one in legislature really cares.

Agreed

Wait, people are seriously comparing Steam to Xbox One used games money extortion scheme? The fuck? That's like the complete opposite positions on the scale of user friendliness.

Explain how they're different.

You buy a CD Key in retail stores for Xbox One games. You get an install disc. It's just like PC.

mrgone

Exactly.

Remember, Steam used to suck ass when it first launched. The service was shitty and it basically was a bad DRM. While Xbox Marketplace prices are currently high, maybe that will change because of the elimination of the used games market. In other words, they will offer sales more often and open the markets to indie and big publishers. Of course at this point we don't know yet.

I think it is too early to jump to conclusions right now. I also think that it is extremely hypocrite to cry, "WAHAH NO USED GAMES!!!1!" and then log into your Steam account to play some games. Using Steam, you basically have no rights and you can't sell/own shit. It is all owned by the service.

Until they ditch the Gold membership requirement for most of their sales and services they probably shouldn't be directly compared to Steam. If they're doing that, fair play, but the way they made a point of mentioning Gold membership leads me to assume they won't.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Odd..now he's confirming there is no fee:

@danhufc Oops, yup - typo. You will not have to pay a *fee*. I can confirm that those reports are wrong. ^BA
Then later on down after the Kotaku article is linked, Xbox Support says: "We're still gathering details on the specifics, we'll have clarification soon. ^AR"

Sounds like they really don't know what's going on or trying to damage control but were caught with pants down.

sixghost

Exactly.

Remember, Steam used to suck ass when it first launched. The service was shitty and it basically was a bad DRM. While Xbox Marketplace prices are currently high, maybe that will change because of the elimination of the used games market. In other words, they will offer sales more often and open the markets to indie and big publishers. Of course at this point we don't know yet

So reduced price competition will result in lower prices? Explain how this works.

starmud

waiiit. this sounds too amazing to be true.

if im a publisher...

i can manage shipments better to avoid bargain binning, markdowns and typical second hand nonsense, while still fulfilling my product on retail shelves versus going digital only...

while all the disc copies that will end up being "resold/repurposed" require a second purchase, giving me a built in second hand market at retail price. a good discs life hypothetically never ends and always produces a price of my liking.

it even helps me alleviate back end requirements on my end, such as marketplace access and users downloading huge files (especially at launch) from me as the disc is just a purveyor/physical marketing tool of what you could have.

thats awesomely efficient if you ask me. you could never exist in both physical and digital homes like this with any other form of entertainment.

Alec

GameStop already prints promo codes on the bottom of their receipts...maybe they'll print a code for a "used game" when you buy one, except when you redeem the code it will allow you to pay a discounted cost to XBL to activate the game.

So reduced price competition will result in lower prices? Explain how this works.

Because a large segment of the XBox population will never pay more than $20 for a game. If they don't have the used market - they'll just buy their yearly Madden/CoD, three or so months of Gold, then keep the console off for the rest of the year.

Microsoft stands to gain more (from Live fees) by keeping those customers happy with discount downloadable offers.

Lingitiz

Wait so would you be able to play a used game on a friend's console if you signed into the account in which you have the game activated?

lingiii

Banned
guys we live in the future now; why would you even buy a game on disk? this is exactly Steam, but with weird vestigial disk drives for installs.

I suppose it's more convenient to install from disk than Internet for bandwidth, but you should take the disk as an analog bit-delivery system. The "game" is the thing associated with your account, just like Steam.

waiiit. this sounds too amazing to be true.

if im a publisher...

i can manage shipments better to avoid bargain binning, markdowns and typical second hand nonsense, while still fulfilling my product on retail shelves versus going digital only...

while all the disc copies that will end up being "resold/repurposed" require a second purchase, giving me a built in second hand market at retail price. a good discs life hypothetically never ends and always produces a price of my liking.

it even helps me alleviate back end requirements on my end, such as marketplace access and users downloading huge files (especially at launch) from me as the disc is just a purveyor/physical marketing tool of what you could have.

thats awesomely efficient if you ask me. you could never exist in both physical and digital homes like this with any other form of entertainment.

I don't see a single benefit in purchasing a physical disc over going completely digital if I'm the consumer. That's scary to me.

guys we live in the future now; why would you even buy a game on disk? this is exactly Steam, but with weird vestigial disk drives for installs.

I suppose it's more convenient to install from disk than Internet for bandwidth, but you should take the disk as an analog bit-delivery system. The "game" is the thing associated with your account, just like Steam.

There are lots of consoles that aren't even online. To hell with them, right?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Except we don't get amazing steam sales where we can buy awesome games for under $20. So it's basically steam but without everything that makes steam awesome.

Fandangox

I imagine there is a CEO from Gamestop reading this at his desk at home while eating a sandwich. When he gets to Phil's statements he softly places his sandwich on it's plate, picks up the phone, waits calmly for someone to answer. When they do he says just three words, "Burn them all."

Coming soon to theaters.

Alec

Except we don't get amazing steam sales where we can buy awesome games for under $20. So it's basically steam but without everything that makes steam awesome.

Exactly. I would flat out not be using Steam if I wasn't getting amazing deals on games. The amazing deals are what makes me feel better about it being digital only, nothing else.

Who says you aren't?

And the sales don't make Steam awesome. Steam is awesome because it completely changed the way we purchase PC games for the better.

I loved MS in the beginning. They were all about the gamer

Microsoft has never been about the consumer.

This would never stand in the movie industry.

Yes the movie industry would totally do something like this. Hell I'm surprised they haven't already.

If Junior's DVD only worked on the first DVD player

What do you think Region locking is? Outside of NTSC/PAL, there's no reason for Region locking to exist.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Explain how they're different.

You buy a CD Key in retail stores for Xbox One games. You get an install disc. It's just like PC.
It's not really different at all, but you have to realize that there's a reason people don't want console games to become like Steam libraries, right? I know you prefer the convenience, but there's a lot you're giving up with console games that you weren't necessarily giving up when PC games went the Steam route...

Alec

lol wat! http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

"Xbox One Does Require Internet Connection, Can't Play Offline Forever"

Holy shit, Kotaku is killing it!

And here's the bombshell:

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

It's not really different at all, but you have to realize that there's a reason people don't want console games to become like Steam libraries, right? I know you prefer the convenience, but there's a lot you're giving up with console games that you weren't necessarily giving up when PC games went the Steam route...

Like trade ins and "lending games"?

I mean that's the only real difference. I've seen so many people on GAF say they're going digital only with fucking Nintendo systems of all things, and yet now people are acting so outraged. I just don't really get it. I'm not even saying people are wrong, I just don't see the issue.

Huddy

I believe the key is in EA removing online passes from future titles. If Sony were not planning on offering something similar to what Microsoft have chosen to implement, then EA would never have taken this step in the first place, as they along with Developers and Publishers have made it clear they don't want the second hand gaming market to exist.

I believe the key is in EA removing online passes from future titles. If Sony were not planning on offering something similar to what Microsoft have chosen to implement, then EA would never have taken this step in the first place, as they along with Developers and Publishers have made it clear they don't want the second hand gaming market to exist.

ding ding ding. i'll see you all at the future sony announcement implosion thread.

KjYVMfT.png

antitrop

Bingo. I thought this as well.

Used games are dead.

Jigolo

Question guys do we even know the situation of how PS4 will handle used games yet? Has there been any info on that?

Brashnir

It's entirely possible (likely?) that Sony will allow publishers to do this on PS4, while not making it a strict platform policy.

If so, EA will definitely be on board, and probably Activision. This could be the death of the western game market.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Like trade ins and "lending games"?

I mean that's the only real difference. I've seen so many people on GAF say they're going digital only with fucking Nintendo systems of all things, and yet now people are acting so outraged. I just don't really get it. I'm not even saying people are wrong, I just don't see the issue.
I guess in reference to the Nintendo thing, its all about having a choice. In fact, that's the great thing about console games, you have a lot of versatility and choice. Rent it, loan it, sell it, find it cheap for collecting, don't worry about one cart/disc not working in a separate system...

I'll be sure to monitor news coming out of sony then. Man, I just hope it's not like this.

Shai-Tan

Banned
By eliminating the used market through the methods Microsoft is trying to do they will likely cut down on some piracy and they will guarantee all profits go to them and the developer, but they will be MASSIVELY shrinking the size of their markets as most cannot afford to reside exclusively in the new game market's price point level.

first, they didn't say they are eliminating the used market, they suggested they are replacing it with a platform controlled trade in market.

second, you're assuming price points will stay the same. current price points are highly dependent on the costs of retail.

third, retail pricing already responds to demand through price drops within weeks of release - the difference is it's difficult for the publishers to make money after significant price drops compared to games sold at the same lower price point on digital. luckily retail will be irrelevant eventually

vg260

http://majornelson.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-and-used-games/
We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed today. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios.

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

ciridesu

Exactly.

Remember, Steam used to suck ass when it first launched. The service was shitty and it basically was a bad DRM. While Xbox Marketplace prices are currently high, maybe that will change because of the elimination of the used games market. In other words, they will offer sales more often and open the markets to indie and big publishers. Of course at this point we don't know yet.

I think it is too early to jump to conclusions right now. I also think that it is extremely hypocrite to cry, "WAHAH NO USED GAMES!!!1!" and then log into your Steam account to play some games. Using Steam, you basically have no rights and you can't sell/own shit. It is all owned by the service.

Prices will go down, as competition is taken down? Think about that for a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom