• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One did not lose the gen because of the internet policies.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I get your point about bad reviews but The Order 1886 had very little gameplay, Quantum Break on the other hand had a lot of gameplay, combat, and a bit of platforming. Along with a cinematic story.

Did you play both games? Gameplay was lacking in both.. Both were short games.

BANGS

Banned
wait what online policies? pretty sure everyone blames the Xbox One's loss this gen to its steep launch price, weaker hardware, and lack of any exclusives.
Pretty much this. The anti-DRM idiots don't really understand what it is they're complaining about and were pretty much a non factor...

Bolivar687

Banned
I agree that the price and lack of markets probably played the primary role, in addition to the popular conception that the PS4 was the more powerful machine (random UPS guy told me for sure Madden looks better on PS4). I also think when PlayStation and Xbox are on equal footing, Sony will always win because they just have a larger segment of the population that grew up on Crash, Cloud, and Spyro, solely by virtue of having been around longer.

That said, I think there has to be some incalculable variable, through which the DRM fiasco indeed had an impact. It drove the enthusiasts in the know insane and they must have had some impact on their immediate networks of friends looking to get into the next console generation.

Similar to random UPS guy above, I had some random guy walk up to me at Wal Mart, while I was looking at an Xbox One, and tell me not to get it because of all the online restrictions that it has. This was months after launch and well after Microsoft had already course-corrected. The damage was done and it was real.

As far as whether Microsoft is really back on track, I'm not so sure. People seem happier with the brand but from a sales perspective, there must always be some floor above which a console marketed by Microsoft will always sell in the modern day with the biggest multiplatform games on everything. Is the Xbox really selling well enough above that floor to consider it a success? With Red Dead taking a lot of the sunlight away from other titles, I think we're about to enter a late-generation slump like we did last gen, where big titles with great reviews might not sell as well as analysts would expect, and there will be talk again about the viability of dedicated consoles. The manufacturers need to be careful about how they manage this time, as well as what they deliver on the other side of it to shake off the malaise and jumpstart the next generation.

Last edited:

DonF

Come on, are we still doing post mortems of the xbox one? The thing launched underpowered, over priced and with an obligatory add-on that nobody wanted.
Its that easy. Also, the software was lacking. Launch games at 720p res...wtf.

The value just wasn't there. The ps4 checked more boxes for less money. It's that easy.

Thiagosc777

Everyone talks as if there is a massive difference between the two. The only difference is the COD crowd, people who is only interested in playing a handful of games and buy consoles primarily because of COD, Fifa, Madden and rarely play anything else.

That crowd was on the 360 and then moved to the PS4 because of the initial higher price. It's that simple.

Not sure why people are creating convoluted theories about it.

Before anyone post comments about "attach rate", it is meaningless. I have over 300 games on the X1 alone. A small group of hardcore gamers would skew that average to a degree.

"Every person owns 20 games on average". No. One collector owns 500 games and hundreds of others are playing 2 or 3 games, and they only stop playing those when the next COD and Fifa come out.

With Red Dead taking a lot of the sunlight away from other titles, I think we're about to enter a late-generation slump like we did last gen, where big titles with great reviews might not sell as well as analysts would expect, and there will be talk again about the viability of dedicated consoles. The manufacturers need to be careful about how they manage this time, as well as what they deliver on the other side of it to shake off the malaise and jumpstart the next generation.

Well that last few weeks proved this wrong.

OP got a lot right. IMO here is a very basic list (in no particular order) of why the X1 didn't sell as many consoles as the PS4:

Price - More expensive for less power
Release - Late release in other countries
Marketing - Sony nailed the marketing. PS4 was the "gamer's" console.
Mob mentality - Very early on the online hate train and mob mentality said Microsoft bad Sony good.
"journalists" - Gaming "journalists" and influencer types noticed the ps4 was gaining mind share online so they jumped on the Sony train. More clicks, more views, more money etc. etc.
Games - Sony started off with a great indie lineup and then started pumping out great first party titles.

Top Bottom