• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One did not lose the gen because of the internet policies.

you keep saying xbox sold great for months, yet it only sold well compared to supply constrained consoles. .

This doesn't work when the Xbox One was not too far off the PS4 for almost all of 2014 either, also winning the end of the year. This is also ignoring the fact the Xbox one only released in 13 countries for months. The supply constrained myth doesn't really work here.

Also your other point doesn't work because July of 2013 was months before launch and one month after E3 which was the same month they only recently just reversed their policies.

You don't sell as well as the Xbox One for several months and tracking ahead by a SIGNIFICANT amount as your predecessor while being in only 13 countries if the online policies had a significant impact. .

phil_t98

#SonyToo
one thing everybody seems to forget with the exclusives matter is that a the beginning of this gen xbox had the exclusives and PS4 didn't have that many games

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I remember that. It's funny how some will stick to certain things while ignoring Sony's stance on console crossplay. It's very ironic now looking back how it stayed with Microsoft even though they didn't follow through with it to Sony blocking crossplay and being very arrogant about it but most just shrugged it off.
Nobody pushed for crossplay until Fortnite. That was how many years of Sony dominating and becoming full of themselves? Irrelevant, MS wanted to lock discs and the stigma stuck around and that is history.

Jasoncaves

Neo Member
It was the DRM, Kinect, the higher price, and how it wasn’t outputting 1080p in some games like ps4 was. This left a bad taste in people’s mouths. Also I feel people wanted PlayStation again. Ps4 has more exclusives. It’s the domino effect. People will buy what their friends have to play online with. The thing is now today Xbox one x is the more powerful console and the idea of DRM is starting to look good.

Last edited:
Street Fighter used to be a Nintendo title and in the arcades yet somehow Sony saw an opportunity to take it away. Permanently.

Let's not go revising history. Street Fighter II: Champion Edition was released on the PC Engine & Megadrive/Genesis in 1993 and the series has appeared prominently on Sega and Sony consoles ever since. How was it a Nintendo title? It was an arcade title, first and foremost. Nintendo got it first with everything else following close behind. I hope you don't think that Sony swooped in in the past couple of years and stole it away. Ultra SF2 was released on switch recently too. What permanently are you talking about?

Mugatu

I can’t speak for everyone but that is what really turned me off from it initially. The One X is awesome but it can’t overcome Sony’s lead now.

Elfstar

That's just hindsight with all the mistakes made in 2013. If no mistakes were made, it would have better global appeal by now.
Actually, even during their most successful X360 days they were still being outsold by the funky Ps3 in almost all regions outside the UK and the US.

WaterAstro

one thing everybody seems to forget with the exclusives matter is that a the beginning of this gen xbox had the exclusives and PS4 didn't have that many games
Wut? lol PS4 creamed the Xbox lineup. It's not just about released games, but what was coming, PS4 showed a lot more, especially on the indie side.

Actually, even during their most successful X360 days they were still being outsold by the funky Ps3 in almost all regions outside the UK and the US.

Outside 2010 and 2007. Also it sold more in Central and South America, Africa, and Easter Europe.

But the PS3 sold more in the largest markets of Europe and Japan which was over 60% of the asian market at the time. Also India and Oceania was also PS3 land.

When you look at the sales of consoles in all the regions, those larger European markets the PS3 won alone was over 50% of the sales of all the other regions the 360 won. They wouldn't have even near tied with the 360 slightly ahead if they didn't sell around double the PS3 in the US, which is admittedly THE reason why the 360 wasn't 15+ million behind.

Quite a fascinating gen that was.

Let's not go revising history. Street Fighter II: Champion Edition was released on the PC Engine & Megadrive/Genesis in 1993 and the series has appeared prominently on Sega and Sony consoles ever since. How was it a Nintendo title? It was an arcade title, first and foremost. Nintendo got it first with everything else following close behind. I hope you don't think that Sony swooped in in the past couple of years and stole it away. Ultra SF2 was released on switch recently too. What permanently are you talking about?

To be fair to him, Street Fighter sold much more on Nintendo consoles, and the series kind of fell into a slump until SFIV after SFIII came out. So I understand WHY people associate SFII(all versions) with Nintendo due to that's where the height of SF's success was, But you're right it was released on many other platforms. Along with the Alpha series.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Wut? lol PS4 creamed the Xbox lineup. It's not just about released games, but what was coming, PS4 showed a lot more, especially on the indie side.

I think you are miss remembering early in this gen, xbox deffo had more games to start with, PS4 killed it towards the end of this gen though.

when games like Halo and Titanfall came out there was a lack of exclusives at the time on PS4

Calibos

Should change the title to:

(in fanboy land) Xbox didn't lose this gen because of it's internet policies.

Because that's the only place that "losing the gen" is happening...Sony is selling more boxes, but Xbox and MS are making money hand over fist so where is the loss? This line of thought is at the core of what is wrong with all of us.

TeamGhobad

Banned
It failed:

1. Focus on TV
2. No good launch exclusives except for Titanfall
3. Underpowered
4. More expensive
5. Kinect

sainraja

I think you are miss remembering early in this gen, xbox deffo had more games to start with, PS4 killed it towards the end of this gen though.

when games like Halo and Titanfall came out there was a lack of exclusives at the time on PS4

PS4 wasn't lacking exclusives, perhaps lacking ones you were interested in. E.g. Infamous Second Son, Killzone Shadowfall, Bloodborne, etc etc.

They lost because the PS4 was simply a better console and was priced correctly for consumers. They had established a reputation of good first party support in the years leading up to the PS4. The PS4 focused on being a games console, which is important when selling to video game consumers.

It also doesn’t hurt Sony that the PlayStation brand is bigger world wide.

Says did I say they were better then continues to suggest Sony take it a step further. Is Dead Rising 3 available on other platforms? No? OK then. Is Bayonetta 2 available on anything but Nintendo when the first started on 360/PS3? OK then. I'm not even going to entertain this silly tangent of yours.

Of course you're not because you know Sony wants to gain ip rights to keep games away forever from other consoles. They are by far the most aggressive this gen, just look at their crossplay stance. Xbox was the worst in this area last gen. See, you are unable to view each company as being the same.

Creamed the lineup with Knack and Killzone? You really are delusional. You still have no counter to why Nintendo failed twice and far worse than Xbox One even though they have exclusives that match Sony's. You think exclusives matter most but they don't.

Last edited:

Three

Of course you're not because you know Sony wants to gain ip rights to keep games away forever from other consoles. They are by far the most aggressive this gen, just look at their crossplay stance. Xbox was the worst in this area last gen. See, you are unable to view each company as being the same.

What? What you said doesn't make any sense to the discussion we were having. Crossplay is your new tangent to bitch about? Cool, have fun.

What? What you said doesn't make any sense to the discussion we were having. Crossplay is your new tangent to bitch about? Cool, have fun.
Haha, you're so sensitive to even talk about Sony being just as bad as Microsoft.

It was to illustrate how competitive each company is at different times. You're the one who was talking about exclusive deals with third party. Now crossplay is taboo because Sony is the villain now? It's all related bud. Third party content was and is constantly used to divide consumers and crossplay is no different.

NickFire

Should change the title to:

(in fanboy land) Xbox didn't lose this gen because of it's internet policies.

Because that's the only place that "losing the gen" is happening...Sony is selling more boxes, but Xbox and MS are making money hand over fist so where is the loss? This line of thought is at the core of what is wrong with all of us.
It's not a fantasy that they lost the generation in the context of market share. That absolutely happened in the real world, and they most certainly intended the opposite pre-launch. There's certainly an argument to be made that they have still been successful, which I wouldn't deny at all. So calling it a complete loss would be incorrect like you said. But denying that they lost the generation is the epitome of living in fanboy land, because that actually happened unless before the next generation launches Sony sells zero ps4's and MS sells something like 50 million.

petran79

Banned
To be fair to him, Street Fighter sold much more on Nintendo consoles, and the series kind of fell into a slump until SFIV after SFIII came out. So I understand WHY people associate SFII(all versions) with Nintendo due to that's where the height of SF's success was, But you're right it was released on many other platforms. Along with the Alpha series.

And the irony is that the best SF2T port was the 3DO version. While SF4 was promoted mainly thanks to 360 as tournament standard and Xbox Live. It even helped PC fighting games because many good Xbox players also played on PC.

EDMIX

I mean if it wasn't for the policies people likely would have went over sony more for only showing the control at their reveal and they would not have gotten away (partially) with sneaking the online multiplayer charge.

Also uh, Halo didn't even come out on Xbox One, a real one until 2015. No one was talking about Halo/gears/Forza until around then either, at least commonly. I mean you may not have liked them but MS released a lot of titles in its first few years. Also most flopped, but they were there.

huh? LOL

XONE launched with Forza 5, next year Halo MCC, next year Halo 5, next year Gears 4, next year Forza 7, this year Forza Horizon 4.

Soooo this whole no one is talking about a "Halo/gears/Forza" combo is basically impossible. My issue is if I didn't like 360, I won't suddenly LOVE those IPs next time around. They need to allow those teams to take a break and make something new and they'll have my attention.

"I mean you may not have liked them" I didn't....thats the point. I hated them last gen, sooooooo several more won't make me change my mind. They should have had something prepared in terms of new IP by those teams in term of actual AAA content vs more of the same. Its very clear the majority of their budget was spent on the same established IPs.

huh? LOL

XONE launched with Forza 5, next year Halo MCC, next year Halo 5, next year Gears 4, next year Forza 7, this year Forza Horizon 4.

Soooo this whole no one is talking about a "Halo/gears/Forza" combo is basically impossible. My issue is if I didn't like 360, I won't suddenly LOVE those IPs next time around. They need to allow those teams to take a break and make something new and they'll have my attention.

"I mean you may not have liked them" I didn't....thats the point. I hated them last gen, sooooooo several more won't make me change my mind. They should have had something prepared in terms of new IP by those teams in term of actual AAA content vs more of the same. Its very clear the majority of their budget was spent on the same established IPs.

Youre really going to lie and say MS didn't have new ips the first few years of this gen?

Again you may not have liked them, but they were there.

And the irony is that the best SF2T port was the 3DO version. While SF4 was promoted mainly thanks to 360 as tournament standard and Xbox Live. It even helped PC fighting games because many good Xbox players also played on PC.

Effectively SF2 killed Street fighter for years until SFIV came out and targetted nostalgia for SFII players.

And almost all the EX games, and spinoffs were not on Nintendo consoles outside GBA ports of the alpha games and I think GC got the PS2 collection.

EDMIX

Youre really going to lie and say MS didn't have new ips the first few years of this gen?

Again you may not have liked them, but they were there.

Of the AAA variety and by their main teams? Sooooo no one said none, what was stated was "They should have had something prepared in terms of new IP by those teams in term of actual AAA content"

THOSE teams ie the ones mentioned, ie 343 didn't make a new ip, BLACK TUSK team was MAKING a new IP, put it aside to make GEARS, Forza and so forth. where did you read I say "MS didn't have new IPs"? lol you are forming a strawman to an argument not being made to fit a convenient narrative.

Of the AAA variety and by their main teams? Sooooo no one said none, what was stated was "They should have had something prepared in terms of new IP by those teams in term of actual AAA content"

THOSE teams ie the ones mentioned, ie 343 didn't make a new ip, BLACK TUSK team was MAKING a new IP, put it aside to make GEARS, Forza and so forth. where did you read I say "MS didn't have new IPs"? lol you are forming a strawman to an argument not being made to fit a convenient narrative.

And now you're spinning.

There were other high profile ips released by MS. You may not have liked them, but they were there.

Also you not liking HGF doesn't mean they should stop being made. They sell well and make money. People buy consoles just for them. But MS also provided games outside those franchises.

Again you may not have liked them but they were there.

EDMIX

And now you're spinning.

There were other high profile ips released by MS. You may not have liked them, but they were there.

Also you not liking HGF doesn't mean they should stop being made. They sell well and make money. People buy consoles just for them. But MS also provided games outside those franchises.

"There were other high profile ips released by MS. You may not have liked them, but they were there"

smh.

Man, you legit need to read post and understand what is being stated. Again, not saying they made no new IPs, I actually NEVER stated that.

Again bud, here it is in clear English.

"THOSE teams ie the ones mentioned, ie 343 didn't make a new ip, BLACK TUSK team was MAKING a new IP, put it aside to make GEARS, Forza and so forth"

What was stated was a fact, its not a debate. THOSE TEAMS FOR A FACT DID NOT MAKE NEW IP. That was the issue I had, that is a factual thing. So...we are going to have to put you in the ignore corner as its pretty clear you only want to hear what you want.

EDMIX

And now you're spinning.

"Also you not liking HGF doesn't mean they should stop being made. " Stop being made? WOW, soooooo where on earth did you even read thats what I stated?

GG made Killzone and Horizon
Sucker Punch made Infamous and Ghost
Insomniac made Ratchet and Spiderman
We got GT AND Driveclub.

Soooooo no where am I saying to STOP making them, I'm saying let the damn teams make a new IP, new IP doesn't not = STOP MAKING OTHER IP.

Again, you are trying to bend a narrative to fit some agenda with stuff not even being stated instead of just reading exactly what is being said.

"There were other high profile ips released by MS. You may not have liked them, but they were there"

smh.

Man, you legit need to read post and understand what is being stated. Again, not saying they made no new IPs, I actually NEVER stated that.

Again bud, here it is in clear English.

"THOSE teams ie the ones mentioned, ie 343 didn't make a new ip, BLACK TUSK team was MAKING a new IP, put it aside to make GEARS, Forza and so forth"

What was stated was a fact, its not a debate. THOSE TEAMS FOR A FACT DID NOT MAKE NEW IP. That was the issue I had, that is a factual thing. So...we are going to have to put you in the ignore corner as its pretty clear you only want to hear what you want.

I like how you ignored the second half of my post tackling your team studio nonsense as well.

You also ignored your own post about "AAA ips"

But feel free to post more in all caps. You'll eventually find away out.

Of the AAA variety and by their main teams?

Three

Haha, you're so sensitive to even talk about Sony being just as bad as Microsoft.

It excewas to illustrate how competitive each company is at different times. You're the one who was talking about exclusive deals with third party. Now crossplay is taboo because Sony is the villain now? It's all related bud. Third party content was and is constantly used to divide consumers and crossplay is no different.

except it's not 'bud' it just your stupid tangent which has no real train of thought. How about we try again? The OP said

4. Microsoft even before things became bad, was not pushing for as many timed exclusives as it did early in the 360's life. But the PS4 did, getting the rights to big games for extended periods of time. Why this was still doesn't make much sense since this was before Xbox fell way behind, but it gave the PS4 a lot of the "few games brought a year" audience. Same with timed DLC.

What I then said was If you look at the launch window before xbox fell well behind the xbox had the timed exclusives with publishers. It had Plants vs Zombies, Peggle 2, Fifa UT, CoD DLC, The Division Dlc. Sony had what? Sony had better indie support I said. Sony only started to win those deals when it sold well.

Then your crazy brain thought this mere fact that I was pointing out was an attack on xbox so you want on your sony is a villian tangent as always bringing up SF5 which didn't even happen during this period but whatever. You said they take away games on other platforms. Then I said what about Dead Rising 3 if you want to go on a stupid tangent about complete exclusives rather than the on topic timed exclusives mentioned in the OP. Then your crazy thought train somehow ignored all the points made and went on another tangent about crossplay. Want to know the only consistency in the dumb converstaion I've had with you? Your hell bent crusade to suggest that Sony is worse or a villian. Nothing to do with what I even initially said.

Stick to the facts:

What did sony have in terms of timed excusives before Xbox fell behind? Now have you somehow contradicted what I said?

You can't even stick to the topic to have a debate

Last edited:
except it's not 'bud' it just your stupid tangent which has no real train of thought. How about we try again? The OP said

What I then said was If you look at the launch window before xbox fell well behind the xbox had the timed exclusives with publishers. It had Plants vs Zombies, Peggle 2, Fifa UT, CoD DLC, The Division Dlc. Sony had what? Sony had better indie support I said. Sony only started to win those deals when it sold well.

Then your crazy brain thought this mere fact that I was pointing out was an attack on xbox so you want on your sony is a villian tangent as always bringing up SF5 which didn't even happen during this period but whatever. You said they take away games on other platforms. Then I said what about Dead Rising 3 if you want to go on a stupid tangent about complete exclusives rather than the on topic timed exclusives mentioned in the OP. Then your crazy thought train somehow ignored all the points made and went on another tangent about crossplay. Want to know the only consistency in the dumb converstaion I've had with you? Your hell bent crusade to suggest that Sony is worse or a villian. Nothing to do with what I even initially said.

Stick to the facts:

What did sony have in terms of timed excusives before Xbox fell behind? Now have you somehow contradicted what I said?

You can't even stick to the topic to have a debate

Destinys deal was made during production and that game came out in 2014. That deal happened well before PS4 was selling so well as you put it. Dead Island 2 came out a month early on PS4. No Man's Sky exclusive deal. All of these were done the first year.

When you admit Sony is just as bad as Microsoft then we will talk. Only then I will know you're here to have civil discussions.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
PS4 wasn't lacking exclusives, perhaps lacking ones you were interested in. E.g. Infamous Second Son, Killzone Shadowfall, Bloodborne, etc etc.

it was compared to xbox early this gen, Forza 5 ,gears 5 , quantum break, Forza horizon, halo 5 the first 2 years of PS4 holiday season had a lack of games compared to xbox. its a fact and I there was lots of trolling about it. yes it changed the other way around later in this gen with Sony releasing more exclusives

Three

Destinys deal was made during production and that game came out in 2014. That deal happened well before PS4 was selling so well as you put it. Dead Island 2 came out a month early on PS4. No Man's Sky exclusive deal. All of these were done the first year.

When you admit Sony is just as bad as Microsoft then we will talk. Only then I will know you're here to have civil discussions.

Dead island 2? Are you being serious? You do know that game is not out right? Also you do know No Mans Sky is an indie game?

Just admit you can't contradict what was said. You are still trying to say this is about 'who is bad'. we will only talk when you drop that stupid console warring mentality of yours then show me how in the early days of the PS4/xbox one life 'before xbox fell well behind' as the OP put there was an abundance of PS4 timed exclusives and a lack of xbox one ones. You still can't get it through your head.

onlyoneno1

No body blame just the online policies, it was a combination of that along with mandatory kinect, increased price, weaker hardware, they stopped going after timed exclusives and the all round negative sentiment the announcement had created. Even years later some kids were on forums saying Xbox doesn't play used games. So it was a culmination of all of these things.

Dead island 2? Are you being serious? You do know that game is not out right? Also you do know No Mans Sky is an indie game?

Just admit you can't contradict what was said. You are still trying to say this is about 'who is bad'. we will only talk when you drop that stupid console warring mentality of yours then show me how in the early days of the PS4/xbox one life 'before xbox fell well behind' as the OP put there was an abundance of PS4 timed exclusives and a lack of xbox one ones. You still can't get it through your head.

Oh, so now indie games that are $60 don't count. You just don't want to go there do you?

Like I said when your are on even ground and admit Sony is just as bad as Microsoft then and only then I know you are not going to keep picking sides. No point in debating with someone who is biased to the bone.

Three

Oh, so now indie games that are $60 don't count. You just don't want to go there do you?

Like I said when your are on even ground and admit Sony is just as bad as Microsoft then and only then I know you are not going to keep picking sides. No point in debating with someone who is biased to the bone.

Want to go where? I already mentioned they had indie support so you are only showing a game where they did and reaffirming my point. The price is irrelevant and just another tangent of yours. Also if you want to know WHY they had better indie support you might want to look at what your favourite company in the world was doing at the time. They couldn't self publish and therefore indies couldn't really exist on Xbox one:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-22-microsoft-wont-let-indies-self-publish-on-xbox-one

Want to go where? I already mentioned they had indie support so you are only showing a game where they did and reaffirming my point. The price is irrelevant and just another tangent of yours. Also if you want to know WHY they had better indie support you might want to look at what your favourite company in the world was doing at the time. They couldn't self publish and therefore indies couldn't really exist on Xbox one:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-22-microsoft-wont-let-indies-self-publish-on-xbox-one

Lol, still trying to make Microsoft look worse yet I'm labeled the Sony hater. No Man's Sky got just a much attention on stage as a AAA game. Stop moving the goalposts. Sony has and always will leverage third party to exclude others. They are just evil as Microsoft and neither care about you more than the other.

Come back when you agree both companies are just as bad. Otherwise stop wasting everyone's time you are here to debate anything. You won't remove your bias therefore no need for anyone else and nothing moves forward. Round and round we go.

Nester99

One of the biggest pieces of misinformation spreading on the internet is that the online policies where the biggest factor in the Xbox Ones failure to be competitive worldwide in the market against the PS4.

One of the biggest pieces of misinformation spread on the internet is about xbox sales ?

That is obviously not the truth.

Why would you put so much time into an argument no one cares about and start with a ridiculous hyperbole which is actually a bold face lie?

Just wasting time on a friday night?

Xbox One launched worldwide. PS4 launched only in America. The 1 million statistic wasn't impressive since it launched in more countries.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I chose ps4 over Xbox one mainly because of power difference. Focus on kinect was another reason.

This reason together with DRM was the reasons why people ran from Xbox to PlayStation.

“ But graphics don’t matter anymore now that X is out, only [insert another excusion from a fanboy]. “

I just find this so hilarious so couldn’t resist, sorry. I remember we still got plenty of graphic comparisons even when the Pro came out. But after the release of X it died down a little.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
SonyGAF never cease to amaze. Seems like this is a counter thread to all the positive threads about Xbox One lately.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

What positive threads?

Edit
Found one
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/play...onference-or-appear-at-e3-2019.1468157/unread

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
SonyGAF never cease to amaze. Seems like this is a counter thread to all the positive threads about Xbox One lately.

Yet, you're on this forum making negative comments whenever you can regarding PS news all the time.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
it was compared to xbox early this gen, Forza 5 ,gears 5 , quantum break, Forza horizon, halo 5 the first 2 years of PS4 holiday season had a lack of games compared to xbox. its a fact and I there was lots of trolling about it. yes it changed the other way around later in this gen with Sony releasing more exclusives

No, PS had games. Often people discredited PS4 games on the list because either their reviews were not up to par to their standards, they were on mutliple platforms (FF14 on PC\PS4) or games they were not familiar with.

What's interesting is that many people who support Xbox says reviews don't matter, but whenever someone bring up games like The Order 1886, some will discredit it because of its reviews.

onlyoneno1

What's interesting is that many people who support Xbox says reviews don't matter, but whenever someone bring up games like The Order 1886, some will discredit it because of its reviews.

Actually that game was barely a demo, an on-rails sort of experience. The story might be exciting but there was little to no gameplay to speak of.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Actually that game was barely a demo, an on-rails sort of experience. The story might be exciting but there was little to no gameplay to speak of.

There is gameplay, little less than Quantum Break, which is a narrative heavy game with long cut-scenes. But you just totally ignored my point.

onlyoneno1

There is gameplay, little less than Quantum Break, which is a narrative heavy game with long cut-scenes. But you just totally ignored my point.
I get your point about bad reviews but The Order 1886 had very little gameplay, Quantum Break on the other hand had a lot of gameplay, combat, and a bit of platforming. Along with a cinematic story.

Top Bottom