• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One has no ads on the home screen (still has content promotion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushae

Banned
So recommendations aren't ads now?

No they're not. So something like McDonalds or Cola will never appear on the home screen. I think recommendation is more like similar items to the stuff you do regularly like suggesting a game in the same genre you enjoy playing, same could go for movies or music. Semi-advert? *shrug*

Ryuuga

Banned
No they're not. So something like McDonalds or Cola will never appear on the home screen. I think recommendation is more like similar items to the stuff you do regularly like suggesting a game in the same genre you enjoy playing, same could go for movies or music. Semi-advert? *shrug*

So it's suggesting things that I may like that I should buy.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

360 didn't have ads at launch, neither.

Isn't MS adding that to Windows 8.1? At least while searching for something.

Edit: Yup, found the article:

Microsoft To Add Bing Ads To Windows 8.1 Search

Fucking bravo MS, brav-fucking-o.
That only adds adverts to web searches via 8.1. The same way you get ads in Google or Bing now.

It's not as if it throws up ads when you search for a file/folder/program etc.

Not that the current 360 ads bother me, but I think suggestions are more palatable than ads. That said, they amount to the same thing. The only difference is that the suggestions are in some way tailored to you. It's still trying to peddle something all the same. Something that the end user might not have no interest in.

Oppo

Yes, they are ads. And you are making a pretty huge assumption considering we've seen them advertise all sorts of products on the 360 dash already. Why would they stop now? This machine is made for this.

If you find yourself using terminology like "recommendations" for targeted advertising then you have already drunk the KookAid. Targeted ads are more palatable but it's still advertising, don't fool yourself.

McSpidey

I wonder if Microsoft's distinction of an ad is something they charge third parties (advertisers) for, vs a free content recommendation/algorithm match item they do for free.

Under this definition Netflix doesn't have ads, they're suggesting other content you might like on their service. The line might blur even more if videos/music are subscription based instead of purchase based on XBL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom