• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Install Times are laughably horrible.

Holy shit how is this a thing. I mean they've always been slower than PS4 but the degree to which they are is INSANE. I'm sitting here for the last 30 minutes waiting on MCC to install and its still not done. This has been the case with most other games too, Ryse took like an hour. This isn't even for full install, its just for partial to get it to start.

And then you have PS4 where no install of any game takes more than 10-20 seconds at the most. I mean its not even like PS4 takes 10 minutes and Xbox takes 20. The XB1 literally takes almost 100 times longer to install than PS4. Why is this?

Is it also downloading the 15 gb day one patch that you need to play? Because that counts as part of the install when you do it the first time.

THEF3AR

I am having nothing but issues installing games and especially preloading them. It's come to the point where I'm almost sure I won't even be able to play the game when it unlocks because it still has to install or it has to redownload.

Wereroku

Holy shit how is this a thing. I mean they've always been slower than PS4 but the degree to which they are is INSANE. I'm sitting here for the last 30 minutes waiting on MCC to install and its still not done. This has been the case with most other games too, Ryse took like an hour.

And then you have PS4 where no install of any game takes more than 10-20 seconds at the most. I mean its not even like PS4 takes 10 minutes and Xbox takes 20. The XB1 literally takes almost 100 times longer to install than PS4. Why is this?

A lot of the differences are that the PS4 downloads the updates separate from the installations while the XBO does it at the same time. This can add a lot of time to the installation.

pr0cs

Is it also downloading the 15 gb day one patch that you need to play? Because that counts as part of the install when you do it the first time.

yeah, I believe the general consensus is to not update with the install, but install first then apply the update. With MCC though you're probably stuck waiting since you won't be able to do MP without all the patches.

Marvel

could never
Isn't there a fix coming in a future update to fix this? I'm sure I read that recently.

Yes it's slow.

Gamezone

Gold Member

About that. The day one patches on the Xbox One is horrible big compared to the PS4 as well. I bet this has something to do with their always online as well.

RobRSG

I believe that the PS4 process data faster due to having additional hardware for downloading stuff. That ARM processor and additional 256MB RAM comes in handy after all.

Does this happen with digital games only, or both digital and physical? A big reason why I don't ever want to go digital is because of downloading and installation times.

You are gonna be there for two hours, Loaf. Make a sandwich.

I even tried doing it offline, and it still took hours.

It was crawling, I fucked up and clicked ready to play. Only to be told I had to get another update. I rebooted offline then, and it started everything over.

MS botched this so bad.

pr0cs

It's like they switched places this gen, last gen PS3 installs were fucking painful and now this gen the XBO ones are.
Either way Microsoft needs to put this very high up on the list of stuff to fix starting in January.

CSX

The worst is when sometimes it freezes on disc installations so you gotta pause and resume it. Halo MCC was stuck at 3% for the longest time T_T

SerTapTap

Does the Xbox One not let you launch the game while it's still installing? Like you said for the most part upon inserting the disk in the PS4 it's like 10-30 seconds before you can play, it's one of my favorite features of the console actually.

I thought the Xbox was supposed to have basically the same "play when it's ready" feature.

Does this happen with digital games only, or both digital and physical? A big reason why I don't ever want to go digital is because of downloading and installation times.

It happens with physical. I don't use digital. The times I'm describing is just to get a physical disc playable.

Does the Xbox One not let you launch the game while it's still installing? Like you said for the most part upon inserting the disk in the PS4 it's like 10-30 seconds before you can play, it's one of my favorite features of the console actually.

I thought the Xbox was supposed to have basically the same "play when it's ready" feature.

It does but as i said these times are literally just to get to a playable state i.e. ~20%

Holy shit how is this a thing. I mean they've always been slower than PS4 but the degree to which they are is INSANE. I'm sitting here for the last 30 minutes waiting on MCC to install and its still not done. This has been the case with most other games too, Ryse took like an hour. This isn't even for full install, its just for partial to get it to start.

I've done a bunch of support stuff on this in the past. If you are going to install from a disc, either disconnect your ethernet or go to Settings/Network/Disconnect Wireless. Then start the install. It will go MUCH faster. There is some issue where the console keeps checking the data on the disc or something when it is connected online.

If you already started an installation, pause the install and uninstall it. Then take the console fully offline, do a power cycle and reinstall.

I remember going over to a friend's house a couple of months ago. When we went to play Dead Rising 3, it had to install. That was at around midnight, and when I had left his house at noon the next day, it still wasn't finished. Of course, a lot of that time was probably downloading and applying that big update it had, but it was still ridiculous.

Gamezone

Gold Member
It's like a day one patch on the Xbox One almost replaces the entire game, while it's still a patch on PS4.

I think the day one update for Sniper Elite 3 was like 15-17 GB on Xbox One, but 500 MB on PS4. What's up with that?

Bring back cartridges

lol

I agree with the OP, it's annoying, giving your kids a bunch of games to play on Xmas day and they have to wait and wait to play them.

Invis

It's bad, but disconnect from the internet when you're launching a game for the first time. Halo MCC was only at 2% after 30 minutes when I first put it in, and it only took about 20 minutes once I disabled the internet. You still need to download the patch if you want to play online of course.

Noobcraft

It does. It still takes a long time though. COD AW takes 8mins and 30 seconds to get to the "Ready to play!" Status. (25% installed for that particular game.) Dragon Age Inquisition is ready to play at like 13% which should only take a minute or two.

It happens with physical. I don't use digital. The times I'm describing is just to get a physical disc playable.

Oh wow. Well, hopefully they can fix this through the power of the cloud/internet. I'm looking to purchase an Xbox One very soon but if the install times are indeed that bad, I dunno. Sounds like a problem that demands the immediate attention of Microsoft.

It's hard to tell if this is an issue with digital or if it even matters.

Download and installation of digital games happen as a single process. I get great download speeds from Live, and it's never seemed that installation was holding that back.

Even small games (like Pure Pool, which I bought yesterday) download and install just as fast as my connection will allow.

Hammer24

Banned
It does but as i said these times are literally just to get to a playable state i.e. ~20%

The XB1 will ALWAYS download patches first, before it even begins installing. In case of MCC, with 15GB patch, that's very very long.
Easiest workaround: disconnect from the internet before you insert the game disc, and let the installation begin offline.

Honestly the xbox one install times are the smartest way microsoft has got me to be a online only gamer. I cannot imagine putting a disc in and waiting 2 hours to play. There are PS3 games I refuse to play even now because of install times.

Yeah installs on Xbox One suck big time !

Wanted to show Ryse to a friend, but after puting the disc in, we waited around 30 minutes then said fuck that and stopped everything.

The XB1 is very slow !

Gamezone

Gold Member
Bring back cartridges

lol

I agree with the OP, it's annoying, giving your kids a bunch of games to play on Xmas day and they have to wait and wait to play them.

That's why I didn't buy my kids the Xbox One bundle. I don't want my kids to wait for a digital game to download after opening their brand new console. Microsoft doesn't get that, and bundles their consoles with digital games, while Sony bundles physical games. I wonder how many sales Microsoft will lose because of that.

A lot of the differences are that the PS4 downloads the updates separate from the installations while the XBO does it at the same time. This can add a lot of time to the installation.

I put MCC in the disk tray at 3:30 pm on a thursday, the game wasn't installed fully untill after 10:30 am the next day.

Its inexcusable and completley cripples the console that has been out for a year.

mdubs

Banned
There's a secret to this:

1. Put in disc and start installing.
2. Turn off console and go do something else.
3. Come back and viola, all done!

With a little planning it really isn't a big deal at all. Hopefully they work on making this less of an issue though.

OP is correct. Install and download times are absurd on the bone.

Chalk it up to them having to switch how the system works or that installs favor letting you get into the game earlier. I'd rather they let us decide if we want to wait for 100% install and maybe allow us to install faster.

Even if the install time counts downloading a 15 gb patch.. it seems to take far longer to download 15gb on the bone than it does on Steam. Don't know for sure because I don't have the means to measure download speed.

Yup, so much so that it actively puts me off from buying multiplats on it. On the PS4, I pop the disc in and within 3 minutes max I'm already playing.

Going digital helps a lot in this regard but I just dislike not having a box too much

I have to agree and its one thing that was sorely noticed when I first got my xbox one. I have also noticed some parts of the interface for xbox one getting stuck when playing a game. For instance, multiple times when I played advanced warfare I receive a pop up notification that the game is ready even though I am already playing. Another thing that happened was my xbox one would not register that I had a headset plugged into the controller and I have to hard reboot just to get it working again which is definitely weird. Overall, I definitely trust my PS4 more and will only get xbox exclusives on xbox one.

jelly

Can't quite believe Microsoft of all companies would botch something like that and to this day, is still a problem. Hardware headache again ?

Cavalier

Banned
Depends on the games. It took me about a few minutes for Ass Creed Unity to install on my X1. Dead Rising 3? Hours upon hours due to Day 1 patch it has to download.

Gamezone

Gold Member

With a little planning it really isn't a big deal at all. Hopefully they work on making this less of an issue though.

Secret? It's still slow compared to the PS4, even if you do that.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Krakn3Dfx

Add this to the list of reasons I would almost never buy a multiplat on the XB1, and will likely buy any XB1 exclusives I want as digital only. MS created a 100% digital reality on their platform for me by making the physical media option complete crap.

I've done a bunch of support stuff on this in the past. If you are going to install from a disc, either disconnect your ethernet or go to Settings/Network/Disconnect Wireless. Then start the install. It will go MUCH faster. There is some issue where the console keeps checking the data on the disc or something when it is connected online.

If you already started an installation, pause the install and uninstall it. Then take the console fully offline, do a power cycle and reinstall.

Quoting myself for good measure. Do this with all physical games not just MCC.

All of my games are digital so I haven't really noticed it, because it's bundled in with the download. I usually queue up a game to download when I'm at work and it's ready to play when I get home.

kyser73

Can't quite believe Microsoft of all companies would botch something like that and to this day, is still a problem. Hardware headache again ?

They managed to botch copy/cut & paste in Vista and didn't fix it until W7, so I can absolutely believe it.

ShapeGSX

Forza Horizon was ready to play after installing 9%.

Two Words

Yeah, the disparity is kind of ridiculous. I do wish the PS4 would start downloading the update right away though. I always end up doing the fast install portion on PS4, start the game up to activate the update download, close the game, wait for the update to download and install, then start the game to play.

Top Bottom