• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: live TV available in US only at launch, requires separate device

I don't know how MS could single-handedly fix this problem though. The cable box (especially if a DVR) just carries too much useful functionality to control through a dumb overlay. The only truly unified way to do this would require every cable provider to work with MS and build in an interface for the Xbox in their software.

Does Europe not use HDMI? Just because the guide overlay won't be compatible, you can still watch through the Xbox. Plus, MS said they want to roll out globally in the future.

Why would you even bother with that? Its not worth it. Couple it with the fact no one really cares about NFL anywhere other than America. We are left with a machine that doesn't function to full extent of its capabilities.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Why would you even bother with that? Its not worth it. Couple it with the fact no one really cares about NFL anywhere other than America. We are left with a machine that doesn't function to full extent of its capabilities.
you can watch more than just the nfl...

Mindwipe

Does Europe not use HDMI? Just because the guide overlay won't be compatible, you can still watch through the Xbox. Plus, MS said they want to roll out globally in the future.

If you don't do the guide overlay, the supposedly lead feature of this multiple hundred dollar set top box is that it includes a glorified two way adaptor cable.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Due to how competitive the licensing is for Football, Cricket, Tennis etc. I doubt MS can pull it off or will even try to.
That nfl feed was just coming from the tv provider, xbox is using hdmi in to bring the signal to the xbox. There are no partnerships involved. If you want extra features like companion apps then sure but a tv feed just requires hdmi in and a compatible tv box.

If you don't do the guide overlay, the supposedly lead feature of this multiple hundred dollar set top box is that it includes a glorified two way adaptor cable.

I'd love to not have to switch TV inputs. If I can switch and split screen tv with Xbox stuff, why wouldn't I want that?

Duster

The Verge has an interesting piece comparing the One to the failing Google TV project.
It faces the exact same problems.

"Want to watch a show recorded on your DVR? There's no way for the Xbox One to know about it, so you have to use the DVR interface. Found a great show using the One's search and discovery tools and want to record the season? Time to switch to the DVR interface again. "

The Verge

Wow that would be major annoyance to anybody in the UK who uses Sky+.

Although I can't even change between Sky channels as fast that guy could switch between everything so that was to be expected.

Cuburt

Good to see that Pachter was completely wrong about the built in TV tuner and selling Xbox consoles at cable service providers.

All is right with the world.

d0Wew1i.gif
this is great

Although I can't even change between Sky channels as fast that guy could switch between everything so that was to be expected.

When I use my Sky box though being too slow isn't even a problem with it. It works fine. Mind this doesn't effect me because I game on my PC its just a lot of what you pay for you can't use and I don't agree with it.

So they spent all that time talking about TV functionality that is not even included out the box?

No words. I keep thinking it can't get any worse, and then it somehow does.

It seems highly unlikely that Sky will allow the XB1 to access their platform and add an overlay. This idea that MS and Sky will team up to offer some super duper experience in the UK is a fantasy. If they had a deal then they would have announced it last night.

So it isn't actually a receiver device?

So they want people to buy this enormous box and camera for I don't know $400? To plug in their receiver devices bought separately, to control it through XBO?

And only in the US?

Is this supposed to be a major selling point?

Okay...

pubba

It's pretty obvious the TV stuff during the reveal was fake. Didn't anyone notice the terror flickering over his face as he gave each command? '

"Oh god.. I hope I memorised this perfectly"..

So it isn't actually a receiver device?

So they want people to buy this enormous box and camera for I don't know $400? To plug in their receiver devices bought separately, to control it through XBO?

And only in the US?

Is this supposed to be a major selling point?

Okay...

I think we'll have a $599 moment at E3 when they announce the price of the bundle which includes this receiver box.

Kibbles

Why can't it be like my 360 where I have a ATT Uverse app and it just uses the Ethernet cord to connect to the ATT router?

PaulLFC

So let's see how their announcements affect me in the UK:

TV - not being released outside the US at launch (yet took up the majority of a supposed worldwide reveal)
ESPN - won't be in the UK as channels are different and "ESPN UK" is owned by BT
NFL - probably won't be here as Sky have the rights
TV series - will probably arrive here but it doesn't convince me to get a console I want to play games on
Games - there were some games! Need to wait until E3 to see more.

I'm honestly quite surprised they're going this US-focussed with it, or at least that they'd make that so blatently clear at a reveal watched round the world. Are they just not bothered about selling the thing anywhere else now?

I just read this again and realized that there are still new people who thought Xbox One would have four different kinds of television tuners in it, three of them extremely secure and encrypted. And that their crazy scenario would leave the IPTV crowd out of the market.

And I shake my head until I feel dizzy.

Why is it that when I hear about this extra crap the XBone requires to run at full capacity, I'm reminded of the Sega 32X CD?

At least this time we get a wifi receiver built in, right?

netBuff

I just read this again and realized that there are still new people who thought Xbox One would have four different kinds of television tuners in it, three of them extremely secure and encrypted. And that their crazy scenario would leave the IPTV crowd out of the market.

People probably expected Microsoft to have a smart IPTV solution that doesn't require any tuners. Instead we get the same HDMI CEC and IR Blaster nightmare we've been used to all along.

bomma_man

I'm pretty sure you stream stream Foxtel (ie cable) through the 360 in Australia. You can't do that in the US? Wouldn't that make more sense/be more useful?

MasLegio

Banned
It's pretty obvious the TV stuff during the reveal was fake. Didn't anyone notice the terror flickering over his face as he gave each command? '

"Oh god.. I hope I memorised this perfectly"..

I noticed how they never switched channels

JDSN

Banned
I only learned about this, a separate device for the feature that took and significant chunk of the conference? Fuck off.

kitch9

Banned

People were maybe hoping they wouldn't have to face the same old shit that's been tried dozens of times before but never worked.

Why can't it be like my 360 where I have a ATT Uverse app and it just uses the Ethernet cord to connect to the ATT router?

Because that would be a much bigger task to tackle in getting every television provider to have an online streaming source for all their content and an app that works on the Xbox 360. This approach makes it much easier to work with practically any television provider.

avaya

What sort of shit sky box do you have?

I can switch fast using my remote, using my iphone or using my ipad.

GameSeeker

Microsoft didn't reveal the real reason they are so laser focused on TV and not gaming: advertising dollars. XBOX One should really be called TVBOX One, because Microsoft wants to tap into the TV advertising stream.

When you watch TV using TVBOX One, the Kinect sensor is fully on and recording everything you and your family do. It will track how many people are watching TV, whether you watch commercials or use the bathroom instead, are you bored or excited (by tracking heartrate & body position), are you using a Smart Glass device, etc. All this information will be collected and transmitted to the Microsoft servers so Microsoft can then feed you advertising. (If you don't believe me, please read the 10+ page fine print in the TVBOX One Terms of Service (TOS) contract. You will see that Microsoft reserves the right to collect any and all data about you and your family using Kinect. It's also why you can't disable Kinect.)

Microsoft wants to take the advertising to even greater heights in the future. They want to pioneer two-way interactive television with customer focused advertising. This is why they are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on Steven Spielberg and a Halo TV series. They can do things like make interactive commercials where they ask you to wave at the Kinect in order to get a chance to win a bag of Doritos chips, or whatever gimmick they come up with.

As many analysts have said, Microsoft is no longer competing against Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft is competing against Apple & Samsung for ownership of the Entertainment living room. It may turn out to be a brilliant strategy, only time will tell.

Mindwipe

The good news is that the Sky box doesn't support HDMI-CEC in the first place, so it wouldn't work regardless.

3N16MA

Banned
MSFT made their console to compete with Apple and Google as much as Sony. They need to roll out the TV features WW before Apple takes their hobby more seriously.

Haunted

This is the sound of Europe giving Microsoft the collective middle finger.

This is going to be a non-starter in the big four (Germany, Italy, France, Spain) and certainly the rest of Europe sans UK.

ciridesu

Honestly, good luck to MS with Europe - They can't even advertise these capabilities in the EU/UK, due to all the restrictions on misleading advertisements and such. Thus, yeah... thanks Obama

balohna

>title says US only
>content says North America

As a Canadian, I'm confused. Because usually, we don't get this type of shit right away. So I would expect it to be US only.

RobbieH

This is the sound of Europe giving Microsoft the collective middle finger.

This is going to be a non-starter in the big four (Germany, Italy, France, Spain) and certainly the rest of Europe sans UK.

As it stands it won't work with Sky or Virgin, so the UK is kinda fucked, too.

Alchemy

As many analysts have said, Microsoft is no longer competing against Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft is competing against Apple & Samsung for ownership of the Entertainment living room. It may turn out to be a brilliant strategy, only time will tell.

Its funny because this isn't even a thing anymore. Smart phones, tablets, netbooks, and the increased penetration of televisions in the household have basically killed the "family gets together in the living room" idea. Cable television is shrinking and being replaced with streaming services that are available to the individual, the family doesn't have to agree on what they're consuming when they can all consume their own media individually.

Apple is only half-heartedly competing in the living room with the Apple TV, it never gets the stage to itself like the iPhone or iPad. Samsung doesn't even compete in the space outside of just the television itself.

There certainly is a business for television media services, but it isn't gangbusters huge. Roku does well, but they're not rolling around in billions. What the XOne is doing is basically shoving Google TV inside of the Xbox, and Google TV is a failure.

This is a pretty big misstep for Microsoft.

bndadm

Love the support for Europe

To quote a former Microsoft Create Director: "Why would anyone live there?"

The basic inability to utilize all that hard drive and multi-os systems to allow DVR processing functions nearly renders the whole feature set obsolete right off the bat.

Wait, are people really that fucking stupid as to think that the Xbox One would replace EVERY single possible combination of cable box/carrier/dish/satellite TV setup in the US and (by the posts in this thread), the world?

Hahaha! Holy shit, it's like a whole new level of stupidity.

Top Bottom