• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One practically unusable without day one update

I see a lot of returns happening if true.

Why is that? Who is buying an Xbox One at launch without use of the internet? Parents buying the console for their kids are likely the Live audience we all know and love so one imagines they know how to update as they've done so before.

Still a shame, wonder what the size will be. Wii U was around a GB or so which was a decent amount, especially given how their servers were performing.

PKrockin

Not at launch you shouldn't.

Because people are expected to have an internet connection in 2013, much like people are expected to have running electricity or water. It's considered a very basic utility.
Well if it's so basic, necessary, and literally everyone who could buy a game console has perfectly reliable high speed internet connections at all times then why not require a constant connection to play games? Oh wait.

Sorry dude, it's one thing for certain secondary functions to not be available at launch without a patch, it's another to ship a completely nonfunctional console and promise to fix it in a 1gb patch. It's stupid no matter how you spin it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Will fun times for plenty of Australians.

Shivin

Neo Member
If I didn't have internet. I wouldn't buy a next gen console. Even if both consoles didn't have a day one patch I still wouldn't buy one. So many features in the new consoles are tied into the internet in some way shape or form. Heck, even the games are leveraging the internet more and more. Why would you buy either console if you didn't have internet? I wouldn't pay that kind of money just to have a box that was basically neutered.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If I didn't have internet. I wouldn't buy a next gen console. Even if both consoles didn't have a day one patch I still wouldn't buy one. So many features in the new consoles are tied into the internet in some way shape or form. Heck, even the games are leveraging the internet more and more. Why would you buy either console if you didn't have internet? I wouldn't pay that kind of money just to have a box that was basically neutered.

What in the living hell? Maybe because people enjoy single player games?

I just need to get out of this thread, this trend towards telling people what they should and should not buy pisses me off.

PKrockin

I eagerly await the next Elder Scrolls game. I hear the disc won't load past the title screen but that's okay because they'll fix it with a 14gb patch containing the rest of the game.

Mung

I see that the same pre-DRM reversal arguments are returning.

Best Buy is loving this. I can just picture the contests they're going to be running for staff who can sucker people into paying them for this update.

Until revision x is out this would definitely be the case with the Geeksquad. Free $99 to $200 for Best Buy in this scheme.

Oppo

What in the living hell? Maybe because people enjoy single player games?

I just need to get out of this thread, this trend towards telling people what they should and should not buy pisses me off.

You're best waiting a little while before you buy to see if there are any issues, for lots of reasons, this perhaps being one of them.

I had a big problem with the always online requirement but a one-time thing that only applies or the first month or two of the console's life... dunno. Just feels like the new "batteries not included".

Pillville

So many features in the new consoles are tied into the internet in some way shape or form.

That's the problem.

We've enjoyed gaming for decades without internet, and there are still physical, single player games being sold. Why force internet connections on us?

Not everyone has it,
it's not always stable,
it's not always fast,
not all parents allow their kids to use it,
companies can turn off their servers at anytime,
it's allowing devs to release unfinished products,
it's allowing devs to release partial games so they can sell us the rest later.

Internet should enhance things, not limit.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I had a big problem with the always online requirement but a one-time thing that only applies or the first month or two of the console's life... dunno. Just feels like the new "batteries not included".

Not really. People are acting like everyone buying the XBO at launch are die-hards that follow the news and know for a fact they need to connect the box to the internet to even work. I don't think this is true at all for around 1/2 of the people buying the console at launch or in the next month(s).

-MB-

Maybe being a B tier nation according to MS is an advantage this time, since there might be a chance systems shipped for that launch already comes with said update :D

Shivin

Neo Member
I see that the same pre-DRM reversal arguments are returning.

Nope, it's not about the drm. It's just about buying a piece of hardware that has a good portion of it's feature set tied into the internet in some way shape or form. This is true for both the PS4 and the XBone. Sure you can play a single player game....but that's pretty much all you can do. If I pay the dollars for a console I want to use all the features. That's all I'm saying. A good portion of games nowadays sacrifice a portion of an rich single player experience in order to ad some form of multiplayer component. I'm not bagging on the folks without good internet. I'm just saying I'd not want to spend $400 on a piece of hardware where I could only play a very limited selection of games.

Tonezorz

As soon as a "stable" or "acceptable" patch is finalized new hardware production will start to include the patch. Why is this an issue? People are arguing that "in the future this could be a big issue" when in a month's time it won't exist.

You don't buy an xbox 360 today with the blades, do you?

Because.

Think of other countries as well where many live features and services are not available, on top of variable internet availability.

I just don't think those are the people buying a console at launch. Suppose it might be an issue for importers though. Are there any reports on how it affected Wii U buyers? Nintendo had the lowest percentage of connected people going by that list and has the family image so one would imagine their base would be the one most likely be disgruntled by the 1 GB day one patch.

In any case Microsoft should really offer a USB option for those who have poor internet or just want to get it done as quickly as possible. Have they mentioned the size at all?

Oppo

Not really. People are acting like everyone buying the XBO at launch are die-hards that follow the news and know for a fact they need to connect the box to the internet to even work. I don't think this is true at all for around 1/2 of the people buying the console at launch or in the next month(s).

I can practically guarantee you that it will say "internet connection required" on the box. It will be small but it will be there.

We always advise people on GAF to do research before buying multi-hundred dollar consumer electronics, and yeah that applies to harried parents too.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member

Did you start gaming five years ago? What the fuck is this? I hope you never enjoyed the likes of a NES/SNES/Genesis/N64/PS1.

Caayn

Because.

Think of other countries as well where many live features and services are not available, on top of variable internet availability.
The update isn't tied to a XBL Xbox One region. Otherwise us importers in a Tier 2 country wouldn't be able to get the console running. Microsoft has confirmed this.

pizza dog

Banned
Thing's coming in hot. They thought the console would be always-online, so went into production assuming they could deliver the actual OS over the Internet in the first place. Having OS in shippable state before manufacturing would have meant the console certainly wouldn't be releasing when it is, could easily have slipped to December or next year.

Also, day-one patch probably won't be required on machines manufactured after release, they'll just put it on the consoles as they make 'em.

Shivin

Neo Member
Did you start gaming five years ago? What the fuck is this? I hope you never enjoyed the likes of a NES/SNES/Genesis/N64/PS1.

No...I believe the the first console I played was PONG but it's an apples and oranges discussion...those consoles that you mentioned you could play EVERY game and EVERY feature of EVERY game without the internet. Nowdays you just can't I'm not advocating it I'm just saying that's the way things have evolved.

Caayn

Thing's coming in hot. They thought the console would be always-online, so went into production assuming they could deliver the actual OS over the Internet in the first place. Having OS in shippable state before manufacturing would have meant the console certainly wouldn't be releasing when it is, could easily have slipped to December or next year.

Also, day-one patch probably won't be required on machines manufactured after release, they'll just put it on the consoles as they make 'em.
Partly true. The decision to remove the DRM was made public before the hardware was final, let alone that Microsoft started the mass-production at that point.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If I pay the dollars for a console I want to use all the features. That's all I'm saying.
Funny, that's the same argument other's are making about not having a day 1 patch that otherwise leaves the console feature-less unless it's installed.

ClearData

I hope both companies have their update servers at peak performance because they are gong to get slammed.

I'm grabbing the PS4 update as soon as they release it onto a flash drive and updating from storage media out of the box. No server errors for me.

Why is that? Who is buying an Xbox One at launch without use of the internet? Parents buying the console for their kids are likely the Live audience we all know and love so one imagines they know how to update as they've done so before.

Still a shame, wonder what the size will be. Wii U was around a GB or so which was a decent amount, especially given how their servers were performing.

That is a lot of assumptions being made...

I will start with one...first time buyers.

pizza dog

Banned
Partly true. The decision to remove the DRM was made public before the hardware was final, let alone that Microsoft started the mass-production at that point.

Yeah but the plans and dev budgeting and all that were long since set by the time the DRM got removed. Can't go to a team and say "uh yeah well turns out your deadline isn't end of November but more like two months earlier GOGOGO."

I dunno, if you think the 180 was a victory, having a day one patch for first run of consoles feels like a pretty reasonable price to pay.

Bsigg12

I'm sure that this initial push of systems will be the only ones that will require this. Once they update the software that is installed initially on all the newly built systems, they could make it so you can play games and what not but still need to update the system when you can.

Unless they want every system to connect regardless at first startup for whatever reason.

This was known since the summer, but inexplicably it flew under the radar. I guess after the near riot that happened from the original DRM this seemed insignificant by comparison.

Looking at it again after a few months, though, it's really not good at all. It requires an internet connection to start the console, which IIRC still doesn't address one of the biggest problems of the original online-only functionality of the console (soldiers overseas with no access to the internet). Not to mention plenty of rural areas with little/no internet that will make first-time setup a giant hassle.

Easiest way to solve this would be to include this day-one update in every launch retail disc. If you're doing digital-only you'll need to use the internet anyway.

Caayn

Yeah but the plans and dev budgeting and all that were long since set by the time the DRM got removed. Can't go to a team and say "uh yeah well turns out your deadline isn't end of November but more like two months earlier GOGOGO."

I dunno, if you think the 180 was a victory, having a day one patch for first run of consoles feels like a pretty reasonable price to pay.
For myself I don't see it as a victory, but I can understand why others would see it as one. And I think that the people who were fighting the DRM got a reasonable response imo. They got what they wanted, no more 24/7 check-ins, in return for a single forced update. What else did they expect Microsoft to do? Delay the console and give Sony an even bigger head start?

That is a lot of assumptions being made...

I will start with one...first time buyers.

So people who have never bought a console before are going to waltz into a store, randomly put down 500 dollars, and get back to a house with no internet? Now don't get me wrong, I think microsoft should have allowed either games to be played offline or put up a patch beforehand on the internet like Sony is doing, but my comment above was specifically replying to a comment about people without internet.

Akainu

Double standards, wow.

The PS4 can't do much out of the box either without an update. But far fewer people were complaining about that in that respective thread. The PS4 can't even play a bluray without the update!!!

And people saying, yes but the PS4 can play games out of the box. Well so you're telling me that you won't be updating your PS4 immediately? You'll play all the games first? Sure, if the games you're playing don't require an update before playing!

Mountain out of a molehill indeed

Seriously. This thread is ridiculous when you buy your video game console the most important thing is to be able to download a update not play videogames on it. The people in this thread are just looking for problems.

So people who have never bought a console before are going to waltz into a store, randomly put down 500 dollars, and get back to a house with no internet? Now don't get me wrong, I think microsoft should have allowed either games to be played offline or put up a patch beforehand on the internet like Sony is doing, but my comment above was specifically replying to a comment about people without internet.

You are trying to hard.

I am talking about the kids that have decided Nintendo is not enough....or well I can come up with a million scenarios...but if you want to believe that the xbox one will not attract new audiences...

That would be quite sad.

It does depend on the population you study... If you are looking at middle class to upper class, then no, you really can't tell where someone is on that spectrum based on their internet accessibility once you add people who are on the poorer end of the spectrum, there is a definite statistical significance. (stats minor here and used internet accessibility as a variable in a study of voter trends)

Is there a study publicly available? That is interesting and I'd love to look at the data a little closer.

You are trying to hard.

I am talking about the kids that have decided Nintendo is not enough....or well I can come up with a million scenarios...but if you want to believe that the xbox one will not attract new audiences...

That would be quite sad.

What am I trying too hard at exactly? And I really don't think you're reading my comments fully. I have no doubt it will attract new audiences but the comment you replied to was specifically about people with no internet. As in completely disconnected. I find it hard to believe that people with no internet are buying a gaming console at launch. People with terrible internet sure, but not people with none at all.

Vashetti

Banned
Seriously. This thread is ridiculous when you buy your video game console the most important thing is to be able to download a update not play videogames on it. The people in this thread are just looking for problems.

What? Your statement is contradictory.

You cannot play games, you cannot do anything with your Xbox One until it has updated.

I can turn on my PS4 and play a game whilst the update does its business in the background.

Top Bottom