• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One practically unusable without day one update

That's the problem.

We've enjoyed gaming for decades without internet, and there are still physical, single player games being sold. Why force internet connections on us?

Not everyone has it,
it's not always stable,
it's not always fast,
not all parents allow their kids to use it,
companies can turn off their servers at anytime,
it's allowing devs to release unfinished products,
it's allowing devs to release partial games so they can sell us the rest later.

Internet should enhance things, not limit.

It is nearly 2014, this is the way it will work going forward. You can still play those single player games, but you are going to get smaller and smaller campaigns. Think CoD/BF4, etc. The push for MP is at an all time high, personally I am okay with this. I love my single player games too, but they do not last that long.

Services should not be diminished due to those who do not have an internet connection or junky ISP. I do not see how companies 'can turn off their servers at anytime' is a sufficient argument at all. Do you have an example?

In terms of releasing a partial/buggy product, that has always occurred at least they can now fix it. I will agree that it seems to be happening more and more, which is a problem.

Pillville

What? Your statement is contradictory.

You cannot play games, you cannot do anything with your Xbox One until it has updated.

I can turn on my PS4 and play a game whilst the update does its business in the background.

I think your sarcasm meter is broken.

Caayn

you kidding me? that would be so stupid if its not possible. im cancelling my pre order and waiting for the dutch launch if true.
Don't worry, I too live in The Netherlands and am importing one from the UK. Microsoft has announced earlier that the update isn't tied to Tier 1 countries, and is freely available for those who import one. So you'll be able to download the update just like anyone else.

Edit: Source
Q: Does Xbox One console have to be physically in a launch country to get system update?
A: NO. Xbox One console can get system update anywhere in the world as long as it is connected to internet.
Written by our very own CBOAT.

So with this news, I guess that means no background downloading for the patch?

Was possible on Wii U and is possible on the PS4...MS going backwards after being the first to offer background downloading...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Waited all that time and can't wait another 15 minutes...too funny.
Took them 8 years to launch new hardware and they can't even make it work straight OOTB.

Arrogant Bastard said:
It is nearly 2014, this is the way it will work going forward. You can still play those single player games, but you are going to get smaller and smaller campaigns. Think CoD/BF4, etc. The push for MP is at an all time high, personally I am okay with this. I love my single player games too, but they do not last that long.
You are dramatically skewing the composition of game catalogs. The push for open-world games is at an all time high as well. Many will certainly have MP components, but open-world games have some of the largest SP components we've ever seen in this hobby. And there will be plenty of smaller digital download games that will continue to offer ample SP experiences. You've simply got blinders on for the only kind of game you seemingly care about.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So with this news, I guess that means no background downloading for the patch?

Was possible on Wii U and is possible on the PS4...MS going backwards after being the first to offer background downloading...

As far as I remember there was no background downloading for that day 1 patch on the WiiU.

As far as I remember there was no background downloading for that day 1 patch on the WiiU.

There was, but the dialog that popped up didn't explain it properly.

If the user hit "cancel" right away for the download, it would have just downloaded in the background automatically while playing nintendo land or whatever. I think most users would not have guessed this but I did see some people remarking on it around launch time.

You guys think either Sony/MS will include the update onto some of their launch games? I couldn't imagine it taking up a lot of room and this will help those who don't have internet access.

Metzhara

This is a terribly written article.

"Exactly why it ostensibly wouldn't allow for playing games, however, is unknown."

Seriously? We do know the reason for this. The update is because the original firmware was treating the console very similar to the E3 announced functions. Sure, you can ask, "why isn't it built in" but you would be expressing an ignorance for how consoles get developed.
Plan for a fix, don't stop the work.
The article is written with an agenda when you look at the word structure.
Hey, Cnet, we get all the MS hate on Gaf, but is it really so crazy that someone have to update their console day one? How bout you do some research and tell us what we don't know... will MS be offering USB updates? How about requesting a disc (if that's even possible?) Maybe offer the alternative?
I don't even want to give this guy clicks anymore. I just feel like more and more people can get paid to write pieces that do nothing more than express opinion than information.
-Adam
(PS- I think it's reasonable to want to know if there are other ways to get the update even though the likelihood that people buying an XO without a connection puts them in a minority.)

Zoe

If you are thinking of an offline console experience for next gen, you're going to be an angry little consumer.

MS or sony.

How so? You always have the option of pulling the network cable with the PS4. And most likely with the Xbone after this update.

Zizbuka

Banned
So, you go to the store, buy your shiny new toy, take it home and it's essentially broken? Any other industries do this?

Here's your new car, a mechanic will come and fix it soon. smh

A video game machine that can't play video games once you bring it home without connecting to the internet sucks for many people. Not everyone is informed as us on this website and if parents are buying this for their kids for now or for Christmas they will most likely not be informed of this and MS is going to have to deal with a lot of crap come launch.

Omiee

Don't worry, I too live in The Netherlands and am importing one from the UK. Microsoft has announced earlier that the update isn't tied to Tier 1 countries, and is freely available for those who import one. So you'll be able to download the update just like anyone else.

Edit: Source

Written by our very own CBOAT.

gelukkig haha :)

not cancelling my pre order than :D

WalkMan

Banned
So, you go to the store, buy your shiny new toy, take it home and it's essentially broken? Any other industries do this?

More like, it was designed to ALWAYS be connected, so in order to disconnect it- you must first connect it.

Everyone did know this (except OP i guess)

Both consoles need a day 1 update to do what they are advertised to do.
Same way with the WiiU.
It is kinda lame, but expected.
Both consoles need a day 1 update to do the near-complete list of what they are advertised to do. Only one console needs an update to play games at all. That console is the Xbox One.

Barsinister

Banned
My brother lives in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. He has an internet connection, but it's not fast enough to play online. It would take him day or two to download this patch. It WOULD be nice to know if there are alternatives.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
My brother lives in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. He has an internet connection, but it's not fast enough to play online. It would take him day or two to download this patch. It WOULD be nice to know if there are alternatives.

Why is your brother even buying a next-gen console? He should be outside fighting bears.

Satchel

Banned
Most knew this.

They're both basically paperweights without it. The PS4 less so.

I'm surprised MS didn't put the update on a disc and throw it in with the console.

Most knew this.

They're both basically paperweights without it. The PS4 less so.

I'm surprised MS didn't put the update on a disc and throw it in with the console.

How exactly is a games machine like the PS4 a paperweight if it plays games right out of the box, no update required? Stop comparing the two, it doesn't work, the Xbox One doesn't perform it's basic function without the update, the PS4 does.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
2013. Who buying an Xbone does not have an internet connection?

Read the thread, maybe?

How is he even going to buy it? Walmart and Amazon don't accept the feathers and beads those uncivilized people trade with.
The pelt of Snarl-Tooth (the bear in the mountains that has killed a hundred men) will fetch him a decent price, at least enough to put the system on lay-away.

Oersted

How exactly is a games machine like the PS4 a paperweight if it plays games right out of the box, no update required? Stop comparing the two, it doesn't work, the Xbox One doesn't perform it's basic function without the update, the PS4 does.

Bluray is not a basic PS4 function?

So if there's *any* network issues *at all* at launch that keeps you from downloading the patch, your new Xbox One will be non-functional, not even able to play games?

I'm sure everything will be fine.

Clockwork5

IKEA has made a killing using this business model. You asked, I'm just sayin.

Who are these fucking people who live without access to a broad-band connection?

I went up into the middle of butt-fuck nowhere in the Northern parts of British Columbia not long ago, and even THEY had at least 10/2 broadband connections.

Who are these fucking people who live without access to a broad-band connection?

I went up into the middle of butt-fuck nowhere in the Northern parts of British Columbia not long ago, and even THEY had at least 10/2 broadband connections.
These people should definitely get with the times and get the internet. It's awesome.

Top Bottom