• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One | Ryse - Brand new Direct Feed screenshots

nib95

Banned
The animation here is cool, but this GIF shows off a big issue I had in the gameplay videos. Most enemies basically just stand around doing nothing. In the vid where they're in the grassy dark area, enemies literally just stood around with their axes in the air until one of them died, only then would they jig in to action, otherwise they stand around like dummies. Multiple enemies mean little in this game besides forming a queue style system for more one of one melee action.

iVAF3pQa5qBSs.gif

Metfanant

iOSQ2yPIleaYK.gif

iVAF3pQa5qBSs.gif

Marius: Get your filthy hands off me

i9m0O8FZofe3S.gif

ibm80rldSPSCV5.gif

ibaeoeI8WqB0z2.gif

all of those gifs are epic...except for the one showing the combat...guess i missed the boat on the colored outlines replacing the button prompts (like that makes QTE's any less QTEish somehow?)

the enemy AI looks absolutely dreadful...

i want this game to be good SO BAD that i cant even express it...but i know its going to be awful

The animation here is cool, but this GIF shows off a big issue I had in the gameplay videos. Most enemies basically just stand around doing nothing. In the vid where they're in the grassy dark area, enemies literally just stood around with their axes in the air until one of them died, only then would they jig in to action, otherwise they stand around like dummies. Multiple enemies mean little in this game besides forming a queue style system for more one of one melee action.

iVAF3pQa5qBSs.gif

Perhaps it's a difficulty thing? Definetely been footage where attacks have been one after the other. Hell, the thing I remember first thinking about the game when I looked at combat footage was "Yay, enemies actually attack in groups unlike the line of dead in Assassin's Creed"

Those screenshots come from console framebuffer.
And You have frameblending with TAA component, so it uses information from earlier frame to blend with current frame, so You dont see that transition on screenshots [because You only see one result, not two blended], but in real-time it decreases aliasing.

Also, You have ton of new material to count :) Start with framegrabs from the videos.

---

Again, show me game that does not uses this. Why are people complaining about things that are in every other games?

New gen, maybe new expectations? Every game that does this is pointed out for doing it so why this one be the exception?

aeroslash

iVAF3pQa5qBSs.gif

Yes.. That's exactly what happens in the game.

KKRT00

And again ... This is in every game. Batman, Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War You name it.

You cant have enemies attacking You in animation sequence, because animation do not have information about it.
Its more noticeable here, because animations are longer.

----------

New gen, maybe new expectations? Every game that does this is pointed out for doing it so why this one be the exception?

The only way to fix that is by not using precanned animations for kills. There is no other way around it.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
iVAF3pQa5qBSs.gif

Lmao at those guys waiting behind him patiently with their axes. Whats the point of fighting group enemies if they just come at you one by one?

maybe a game design thing. it gets frustrating if you're in the middle of attacking and you get hit from behind its sort of a staple of dmc games where you get swarmed unlike this but lets face it the difficulty bar in mainstream games have fallen off a cliff. batman games do walk that thin line because they do typically attack you one by one but it doesnt feel that way.

Again, show me game that does not uses this. Why are people complaining about things that are in every other games?

Dark Souls 2.

Its a stupid mechanic. I know its Batman, AC heck it was even in Dark Souls.

it gets frustrating if you're in the middle of attacking and you get hit from behind

But thats the whole point when your fighting a group of enemies. Whats the point of having grouped enemies if they just attack you one byone?

I have pretty damn good eye sight dude. Being polite as I can, are you sure you're not the one, who....might need help in that department? You realise several others have mentioned the aliasing too, and it's clear as day in the screenshots as well? Start the video again and as soon as the gameplay begins, look to the buildings in the distance, statues etc. You'll notice jaggies and shimmering. Overall the game still looks really clean though, mainly only occurs when things open up in terms of scale.

First you claim Ryse has character models and visuals far beyond those from the Sorcerer PS4 demo, and now you're not able to see the jaggies that are obviously there lol. I worry about you Senjutsu....

Here we go again with the Dark Sorcerer misinformation. The discussion was purely about the sheer degree of facial animation technology (of which Ryse is simply doing much more of based on the raw numbers), and the resulting effect with regards to believability and the impressiveness of the resulting digital actor performance, purely focused on the appearance of the face and the animation of that face in digital performances. Yes, I'll say it again, and say it with no hesitation whatsoever that Ryse's digital actor performances with regards to facial realism and believability are more impressive looking overall than what's on display in Dark Sorcerer.

And again ... This is in every game. Batman, Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War You name it.

You can have enemies attacking You in animation sequence, because animation do not have information about it.

----------

The only way to fix that is by not using precanned animations for kills. There is no other way around it.

I agree with that point, that is more noticeable because it lasts longer, they should just shorten it or take that execution out completely because it just looks silly. Maybe only have that specific one trigger when you're killing your last enemy because them standing around watching their comrade slowly fall and grasp at Marius' leg just seems extra dumb.

Also, You have ton of new material to count :) Start with framegrabs from the videos.
I don't need to use the videos, the screenshots are just fine despite the compression. I checked two shots, and my counts showed these shots to be 1600x900 upscaled to 1080p. If I'm right, these are--finally!--accurate depictions of the game's true appearance. It's too late tonight, but tomorrow I'll post the details to my thread.

In related news, does anyone know a good host that can take a 25MB GIF? :)

Metfanant

Yes, I'll say it again, and say it with no hesitation whatsoever that Ryse's digital actor performances with regards to facial realism and believability are more impressive looking overall than what's on display in Dark Sorcerer.

981.gif

come onnnnnnnnn.....Ryse's facial animations look awesome....but come onnnnnnnn....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

iVAF3pQa5qBSs.gif
While that is true, would you really WANT all of those enemies attacking you at once?

Given the obvious JPEG compression, do you really think so? That says "video framegrab" to me...but perhaps you're right.

Oh, and...

OLD VERSION
ryse_3_by_jinkuromuramasa-d6ebzhr.gif

RELEASE VERSION
ibaeoeI8WqB0z2.gif

What is this suppose to show exactly? Hopefully not a downgrade of some sort? The old one is off-screen footage, the new one is taken from a twitch video stream. Showing the direct feed of the old one, and the newer one comes out on top easily in terms of not just better lighting, but shader detail on the skin.

come onnnnnnnnn.....Ryse's facial animations look awesome....but come onnnnnnnn....

Yep, and I stand by it 100%.

nib95

Banned

You can have enemies attacking You in animation sequence, because animation do not have information about it.

----------

I don't know dude, happens to some minor extent in some of these other games, but no where near the degree of Ryse. See examples here.

Batman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbjOEVql8Eo&t=3m20s

Uncharted 3 (here they attack you at the same time, even grab you from behind whilst another beats in to you etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgwe7YTFRFo&t=4m40s

While that is true, would you really WANT all of those enemies attacking you at once?

Yeap. Just have a quick react/counter/parry/dodge option similar to Batman, Uncharted, Onimusha, GOW, NG, DMC etc.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
But thats the whole point when your fighting a group of enemies. Whats the point of having grouped enemies if they just attack you one byone?

actually its not the point, designers just want to make you feel empowered by having large groups but want to reducing any potential frustration points. if the game was designed to be brutally difficult like dark souls then yes enemies would attack relentlessly in groups. dark souls a great game but alot of its game mechanics only work in its own game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
actually its not the point, designers just want to make you feel empowered by having large groups but want to reducing any potential frustration points. if the game was designed to be brutally difficult like dark souls then yes enemies would attack relentlessly in groups. dark souls a great game but alot of its game mechanics only work in its own game.

Dark souls does it too. Backstab animations are times of being invulnerable and have other enemies look at you in awe, it's not really avoidable unless you are vulnerable at every single time which would be pretty ridiculous.

Really not in the mood to go searching through videos but I'm almost sure there have been videos showing the enemies being incredibly aggressive in terms of piling on you at once. Keep in mind the Batman Arkham games increase AI aggressiveness with the difficulty which is almost surely the case here.

The animation here is cool, but this GIF shows off a big issue I had in the gameplay videos. Most enemies basically just stand around doing nothing. In the vid where they're in the grassy dark area, enemies literally just stood around with their axes in the air until one of them died, only then would they jig in to action, otherwise they stand around like dummies.

That's a gameplay design choice, similar to Batman.

In Dark Souls when you parry a move and stick your sword through them for that animation you're in invincible frames until the animation finishes and most enemies don't attack, just stand in "idle" animation.

You do a throw move in a mousou game like FOTNS and the same thing happens. Enemies don't attack.

You can have enemies attacking You in animation sequence, because animation do not have information about it. The only way to fix that is by not using precanned animations for kills. There is no other way around it.

Yep, ppl just trying to fins anything to downplay when it's in many games, just trying to say Ryse is "much worse". -_-

In a Ryse video they do attack when you're chaining a move similar to Batman too. When the difficulty goes up the amount of times enemies do this goes up judging from the Batman games. It looks like it's on the lowest difficulty if you ask me.

Papercuts

I don't know dude, happens to some minor extent in some of these other games, but no where near the degree of Ryse. See examples here.

Batman.

Uncharted 3 (here they attack you at the same time, even grab you from behind whilst another beats in to you etc).

Yeap. Just have a quick react/counter option similar to Batman, Uncharted, Onimusha, GOW, NG, DMC etc.

It does have a counter, it's one frame and can turn around on a whim(and people even griped at it, lol). You just can't interupt the executions with it. That is just like any other similar title.

It absolutely happens in batman during takedowns. They do attack you during beatdowns and ground takedowns(comically so as they immediately get insanely aggressive) but he didn't do any normal takedowns in that footage, they're longer animations where he does stuff like grabbing someone by the arm, throwning them to the ground and stomping it to snap the bone, or especially when they have weapons and stand there as he breaks them, or pulls a shield off of someone and crushes it into the ground, the AI all just cease doing what they were.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
Dark souls does it too. Backstab animations are times of being invulnerable and have other enemies look at you in awe, it's not really avoidable unless you are vulnerable at every single time which would be pretty ridiculous.

in DS2 you are vunerable during counter/backstabs im pretty sure. but the ai in dark souls is rather stupid they pretty much attack without the awareness of their surroundings, its why you can bait enemies into falling off ledges on their own or take empty swings when they're being blocked by another enemy. this is actually a much simpler ai than ones which deliberately attack one by one.

Papercuts

in DS2 you are vunerable during counter/backstabs im pretty sure. but the ai in dark souls is rather stupid they pretty much attack without the awareness of their surroundings, its why you can bait enemies into falling off ledges on their own or take empty swings when they're being blocked by another enemy. this is actually a much simpler ai than ones which deliberately attack one by one.

I don't think that's right from what I've played of the beta, but they do seem to have more enemies impervious to backstabs to make it less of a game where you circle strafe and punish which is nice. They actually seemed to make the various weapon backstab animation itself more elaborate with things like spear attacks that lift people up and slam to the ground, lol. May be wrong but it didn't seem different.

But yeah, different game anyway. Ryse is most immediately comparable to Assassin's Creed or Batman which both have many cases of the AI doing the wait out the killing animation stuff.

KKRT00

In related news, does anyone know a good host that can take a 25MB GIF? :)

copy.com

And use a video grabs, its the same quality as earlier footage.
Also count on not aliased edges, like You did earlier.

===

Batman.

Uncharted 3 is part of the interactive cutscene, it always plays that way. In Batman example there is no scene when he gets attacked in execution animation.

--
If You guys are bothered by it, play games that do not do this, like Shadow Warrior for example. No execution kills, not lock-in animation, everything is smooth all the time.

Honestly, I think combat is probably rather tricky to do for the Roman style of fighting, based on discipline and using a short gladius. It would be probably have been more fun to build an action game around being a barbarian to be honest.

Batman.

In a serious effort to nitpick the hell out of this game, people are literally bending over backwards to claim that Ryse is guilty of something that similar games somehow aren't? There's twitch gameplay footage from MP last week of multiple enemies attacking the player at once in parts, swarming the shit out of him, with archers occasionally creating issues. In moments where it isn't a direct simultaneous assault, there's times when they attack in such quick succession behind one another, that it might as well be simultaneous, because that's multiple attacks coming from multiple directions at a speed that's more challenging to defend against I've played enough of batman to know that enemies wait around and take their turns all the same. In fact, the previous batman games are more guilty of this than Ryse so far appears to be.

The variations only really enter when you have those larger berserk type enemies in the mix, as they don't really care or wait around while you're fighting other enemies. They will pick up and throw dead bodies at batman, they'll charge and run you and their allies over, etc. The enemies with guns will just plain shoot the crap out of you, and they don't take turns lol.

Gamersyde's mp footage at about 3 minutes in you see more than one enemy attack together. One attacks from the front, the other from behind. And twitch has well over an hour plus of MP from last week where it also happens there as well. Also, from gamersyde vid at 5:14, you see like 3 enemies all winding up their attacks from behind. But the twitch mp from last week is well over an hours worth. Plenty of times where enemies attack fast and are more or less working together on attacks, as opposed to watching the action go down all the time.

No helmets in the new version. XB1 couldn't handle the scene with helmets on? Tsk tsk tsk what a downgrade.

LOL, must be, because there aren't more complex scenes or anything where the helmets are on. ;)

madmackem

I think people are being more harsh on this game due to the way they showed it off first. qte feast and its stuck with it all this time. For me its a great looking launch title with standard combat weve seen alot of this gen heck people seemed to love it on batman and ass creed.

nib95

Banned
In a serious effort to nitpick the hell out of this game, people are literally bending over backwards to claim that Ryse is guilty of something that similar games somehow aren't? There's twitch gameplay footage from MP last week of multiple enemies attacking the player at once in parts, swarming the shit out of him, with archers occasionally creating issues. In moments where it isn't a direct simultaneous assault, there's times when they attack in such quick succession behind one another, that it might as well be simultaneous, because that's multiple attacks coming from multiple directions at a speed that's more challenging to defend against I've played enough of batman to know that enemies wait around and take their turns all the same. In fact, the previous batman games are more guilty of this than Ryse so far appears to be.

The variations only really enter when you have those larger berserk type enemies in the mix, as they don't really care or wait around while you're fighting other enemies. They will pick up and throw dead bodies at batman, they'll charge and run you and their allies over, etc. The enemies with guns will just plain shoot the crap out of you, and they don't take turns lol.

Gamersyde's mp footage at about 3 minutes in you see more than one enemy attack together. One attacks from the front, the other from behind. And twitch has well over an hour plus of MP from last week where it also happens there as well. Also, from gamersyde vid at 5:14, you see like 3 enemies all winding up their attacks from behind. But the twitch mp from last week is well over an hours worth. Plenty of times where enemies attack fast and are more or less working together on attacks, as opposed to watching the action go down all the time.

I don't not believe you, in fact it would be silly if the game didn't have this, but can you link to YouTube footage showing it? I can't remember off the top of my head and I'd rather see it in person.

What is this suppose to show exactly? Hopefully not a downgrade of some sort?
Don't bother leaping to the barricades, I posted the comparison simply because I remembered we'd seen that same scene before. No nefarious reason.

As you say, direct-feed versus offscreen doesn't really let us talk about technical comparisons. But I definitely prefer the release version on a directorial level. Removing the helmets and toning down the sun adds an atmosphere of relaxed humanity...just some men having frank words, not ROMANS, Y'ALL!

Having more than one person attack you at once is brutally difficult?
I don't see how its empowering at all lol. Its empowering if you actually defeat a horde of enemies when they are all coming at you.

Also Dark souls 2 isn't the only game that does this. Dragons Dogma, DMC, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising.

I get you though. Its to make the game easier and I know its not the only game to do it.

kitch9

Banned
I think people are being more harsh on this game due to the way they showed it off first. qte feast and its stuck with it all this time. For me its a great looking launch title with standard combat weve seen alot of this gen heck people seemed to love it on batman and ass creed.

If the combat is a nuanced and balanced as Batman then so be it, it will be a great game. How they've shown it though gives the impression that you just keep tapping A until all the awesome starts and stand back.

Which is nothing like Batman.

And use a video grabs, its the same quality as earlier footage.
Also count on not aliased edges, like You did earlier.
I plan to use grabs and screenshots. But I don't get what your second sentence is saying. Are you asking me to count blurry edges? Because Ryse has almost nothing but blurry edges. Upscaling, DOF, motion blur, static and temporal AA, and a usually distant protagonist--I'd be very shocked if I could find a single sharply aliased line!

Thrakier

I'm not seeing the lack of 1080p crispness. This is one of those things that I think people try to see only because we know it isn't 1080p, not necessarily because it's obvious that it isn't.

It's more a lighting and camera position situation than it is a lack of crispness, imo.

I think what's being noticed is the filmic appearance that Crytek said they were going for from the start. From the videos I think they clearly nailed it.

Are you kidding me?

KKRT00

How they've shown it though gives the impression that you just keep tapping A until all the awesome starts and stand back.

Because they show over-upgraded character in first stages of the game on Normal and Easy mode ...

Why developers and journalists do not show their games on Hard or Very Hard?

Like Shadow Warrior, almost all materials are from Normal or Casual mode, when the game plays differently on higher difficulties.

maybe a game design thing. it gets frustrating if you're in the middle of attacking and you get hit from behind its sort of a staple of dmc games where you get swarmed unlike this but lets face it the difficulty bar in mainstream games have fallen off a cliff. batman games do walk that thin line because they do typically attack you one by one but it doesnt feel that way.

It's not frustrating... positioning and picking the right attacks at the right time are staples of fighting games.

This mash the buttons batman/AC/ryse combat while enemies take turns is shallow and terrible, ungame is the best word for them.

OT: what horrible film grain

iOSQ2yPIleaYK.gif

iVAF3pQa5qBSs.gif

Marius: Get your filthy hands off me

i9m0O8FZofe3S.gif

ibm80rldSPSCV5.gif

ibaeoeI8WqB0z2.gif

So good. Anyway, the nitpicking elsewhere is laughable, absolutely laughable.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_pgw_ryse_video-14783_en.html

Watch it for yourself, and you have the timing from my previous post. And there's a much larger twitch MP from last week that is online somewhere, but I don't remember the link. Not just over 1 hours worth of MP, close to 1 hour and 41 minutes worth of MP. I won't waste my time and go through all of that to prove something to an individual I'm quite certain has zero interest in the game. It's not worth the time investment. That's what always amazes me about the level of nitpicking that people do on Ryse. There are people that have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the game, or think it looks terrible, yet spend hours upon hours going through every image, every video, to find an imperfection, a weird looking elbow imperfection they can point out, a spec of aliasing they can see way, way out in the distance, or take their time to go create a gif of a player unrealistically sliding back one time in the entire gameplay video (with zero understanding of why it happened), and even now to the point where the game is getting criticized because enemies more or less take turns attacking (exactly the way its done in countless other games that are similar) rather than swarm the player at the same time non-stop? I've played and beat all the batman games, except the new batman and I've seen more examples of lower tiered enemies ganging up on someone or attacking in extremely rapid succession, enough to be considered as working together, in Ryse than I've seen in any of the first two batman arkham games.

Are you kidding me?

Are you kidding me? Nobody on GAF saw it. Not a single person could tell this game wasn't running at 900p natively, and now I'm suddenly suppose to believe people can see it clearly now? Really, the fun is over, cut the crap. People that pay attention are onto this little "I can see it all. I always knew that this was the resolution" bait and switch now. Some people aren't honest enough to acknowledge the obvious, that they couldn't tell the difference, and still can't even now because the game actually looks even more impressive than the earlier footage. Anyway, I'm done here. This thread was a bait thread from the start, and you knew it from the moment you read the 1080p crispness laugher in the OP. I've said it before, but you can tell when people are actually impressed by a game. they start nitpicking the tiniest of details and pretending to be concerned about the tiniest aspects in a game they couldn't care any less about.

Top Bottom