• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S: 40% smaller, 2TB, 4K for movies/tv, internal PSU, $300

This looks incredible. I'm a day one xbox one owner and will probably upgrade. My only question is whether or not the internal power supply is 110-240v. I had to buy a second power supply for my console when i moved to europe, so it would be nice to have an all-in-one solution with this new box.

EvB

This looks incredible. I'm a day one xbox one owner and will probably upgrade. My only question is whether or not the internal power supply is 110-240v. I had to buy a second power supply for my console when i moved to europe, so it would be nice to have an all-in-one solution with this new box.

It's multi voltage

Hawk269

I decided to pre-order one as well. I have a new Sony 4k HDR set and while I am still going to get a Scorpio, I can't pass up games that use HDR. I have the Samsung UHD player and HDR is a huge difference in addition to the 4k resolution. Seeing what HDR does for movies, I am really curious how Gears 4 will look in HDR on the Xbox S.

Chitown B

I that player and it works really well. Movies in UHD and HDR are pretty amazing, but yeah, they just got bitch slapped with a 500gb Xbox One Slim. Does everything the Samsung, plus $100.00 cheaper, you get a gaming console and all. I think this is such a big blow to them and to others in the UHD Blu Ray field. If MS begins to market the "S" properly, it could really take off because of the media capabilities.

I have a friend that works for BB and the Samsung unit sells very well because anyone buying a 4k set today is looking for something other than streaming, so it being the only device right now it sells very well.

do people buy a lot of 4K BD's? I used to be really into BD picture quality perfection (Pioneer everything) but over time I got over it. Most streaming and digital files are more than good enough. I guess if you have a 4K TV you're more interested - but I'm sure you can find 4K digital stuff too.

WadeitOut

do people buy a lot of 4K BD's? I used to be really into BD picture quality perfection (Pioneer everything) but over time I got over it. Most streaming and digital files are more than good enough. I guess if you have a 4K TV you're more interested - but I'm sure you can find 4K digital stuff too.

There aren't a lot of 4K BDs yet as they just started coming out with them in the past few months. They will be all over this Holiday. And 4K Tvs will be huge sellers.

Bessy67

Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anything been said about the hard drives besides the sizes? Are these SATA II or III? What RPM? If it's the same as the Xbox One I'll just get the 500 gig version and use an external, but if it's SATA III 7200 RPM I might go for the 2 TB for the load time benefit...

Chitown B

Pretty soon 4K will be standard as 1080P is now.

I don't think it'll be standard for at least 3 years. And not in broadcast for at least 5. It took forever just for TV to get to 1080 and even now some stations aren't.

Not sure I want to pick this up or Scorpio. Is Neo still coming out this year?

HAHAaAhahAAHahAHAahAHaHhaaaa....

No, Neo was never coming out this year. It may not even come out next year. Scorpio was announced and it's still not out for 18 months.

NaviLink

Apologies if this has been asked, but while watching the unboxing Major Nelson did the other day, I noticed there apparently isn't a headset included with the console?

Elitist1945

Apologies if this has been asked, but while watching the unboxing Major Nelson did the other day, I noticed there apparently isn't a headset included with the console?

When did they do an unboxing? Or what that the video where they just discussed the console itself.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

Hadn't noticed that but it's not listed on the Microsoft Store page either.

In the box

Xbox One S console
2TB hard drive (internal)
Xbox Wireless Controller with 3.5mm headset jack
Console stand (for vertical orientation)
HDMI cable
AC power cable
14-day Xbox Live Gold trial

MS have *got* to support bit stream pass through audio if they want this to be considered a viable 4k bluray player. Without it, atmos and dtsx sound output aren't possible

Debating grabbing a 500GB one for X1 exclusives. I already have the MCC, Rare Replay, Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive...would add on Gears Remastered+Halo 5 to that plus Gears 4, Scalebound, ReCore, Ori, Cuphead, etc. later. 500GB plus an external if needed should be enough, right? PS4 is my main console so all multiplats will be on that.

Caayn

Debating grabbing a 500GB one for X1 exclusives. I already have the MCC, Rare Replay, Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive...would add on Gears Remastered+Halo 5 to that plus Gears 4, Scalebound, ReCore, Ori, Cuphead, etc. later. 500GB plus an external if needed should be enough, right? PS4 is my main console so all multiplats will be on that.
Get the 500GB model and buy an external drive when you need more space.

Be aware though that the 500GB model arrives later than the 2TB model does.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am disappointed how far the release date of this thing is.

In 2012 they announced 360 slim and pulled available end of the week thing. This one, available in Aug. Come on.

Finally the XboxOne is in good shape.

A pity they did not do the reveal as they did with the 360 slim. Having the old one, lifting it, and the slim was inside. That was such an effective little move.

NaviLink

When did they do an unboxing? Or what that the video where they just discussed the console itself.

It was in today's Xbox daily I think : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScbZ-YxYDi8
That's the one.

Hadn't noticed that but it's not listed on the Microsoft Store page either.

Thanks. Well, guess that confirms it then. Not the end of the world, but still sucks a little. I guess I'll finally buy a proper headset.

MCD

MS is probably not including the headset because they want you to buy the keyboard chat thingy which comes with the new headset.

Ricky_R

packaging:
Ck3XTy_UYAEn9ab.jpg:large

That's a marvelous boxart. Looks nice and clean.

gamz

I'm done staring at videos of this thing. I want!!!

What can I get for a trade in on my Xbox One without Kinect with Gamestop? 100 bucks?

I'd love to get it for 200 bucks if possible.

dcx4610

Has anyone found any trade-in deals yet? Looks like Gamestop only gives $100 for the Xbox One. I'm not sure if they give any extra with controllers + Kinect.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
bQWNtLx.jpg

This is such a deceiving image. How did they get to this extreme example? Did they include the powerbrick?

Elitist1945

Has anyone found any trade-in deals yet? Looks like Gamestop only gives $100 for the Xbox One. I'm not sure if they give any extra with controllers + Kinect.

Ouch. My local EB Games said my 500GB XB1 was worth $210. They also have a trade-in deal where if you trade a XB1 for another console you get $250. Does GameStop not have a similar deal?

crpav

I wish they would do the same thing with the custom controller with the system so you could get it in any color. I want Chrome.

Caayn

Which is weird because some sites like IGN list a 500gb, 1TB, and 2TB launching the same day in August. Has it been officially said that the 500GB comes later?
Straight from Microsoft, the 2TB launches first and the 500GB and 1TB follow at a later date.
Xbox said:
All Xbox One games, accessories and Xbox Live services will work with the new Xbox One S. With 500GB, 1TB and special launch edition 2TB options, you can choose the hard drive that’s right for you. The limited quantity 2TB launch edition Xbox One S will be available in select markets starting early August for $399 USD, with the 1TB Xbox One S for $349 USD and the 500GB Xbox One S for $299 USD arriving thereafter. The Xbox One Vertical Stand will also be available for standalone purchase for $19.99 USD.

The 2TB model is also the only one that comes with the vertical stand. To me the 500GB and 1TB are just there so that MS can say "starting at $299" instead of "$399".

I am disappointed how far the release date of this thing is.

In 2012 they announced 360 slim and pulled available end of the week thing. This one, available in Aug. Come on.
They did that only for the US market. The rest of us still needed to wait till September to get it (iirc).

Ducayne

Ugh, just also noticing the 500GB/1TB launch isn't listed yet. Such a bummer... I already invested in a large external hard drive, so I don't feel like the 2TB is for me (of course they announce it's a fusion drive or something)

I was so going to get this in August (hell, I was even planning on upgrading to a 4K TV as well), but I guess they want their diehard customers to wait. Bummer.

Elitist1945

Do we have any idea what the Vertical Stand is gonna cost? $20? I'm trying to decide whether I wait for the 500GB to come out and get a stand separately, or just get the 2TB with the stand included.

Top Bottom