• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX ONE | Satisfaction Thread: One Thread to Rule Them All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amneisac

Here's ONE thread for people to discuss things they find interesting about the Xbox One and talk about things that have them excited. If you want to discuss things like the impending crash of the video game industry, or how you think this console will cause Microsoft to go entirely out of business and send the world's technology market into a downward spiral that will last the next 200 years, keep that talk in any of the other 35 threads on the front page already dedicated to that.

An example or two:

Microsoft's cloud server resources could be pretty awesome if the rumors about 100% dedicated game servers are true. Eliminating host advantages in games like FIFA and CoD would positively affect a huge number of people. This is a good example of something that isn't graphical fidelity, but can still greatly enhance your gameplay.

No used games certainly raises a few consumer rights' flags, but should we be concerned? For the last few years 90%+ of all games I've bought have been on a system with no used game sales (Steam and other retailers that provide me Steam keys) and I've been 100% satisfied. I will gladly give up my used game 'rights' if it means significantly cheaper games. I'm not saying this is guaranteed, but it's a possibility. Publishers see their sales data from Steam sales and they understand this logic can be applied to consoles as well.

Okay, so that's enough from me, maybe you are excited about a new higher fidelity Kinect that will hopefully eliminate the lag that completely ruined the original, maybe you just really like fantasy football and you're psyched for the NFL promotion, who knows!

Now go, let's hear what has you EXCITED about the Xbox One!

I made a thread for this but it might as well go here.

Yesterday at the X1 reveal we saw MS 'snap' internet explorer and skype next to live video, then drop the whole thing into a panel and use the dashboard.

No one seems to have picked up on the fact that this basically implies you can have video chat on screen while playing online with a friend?

Being able to have that, or internet explorer (having a guide open in IE, snapped next to the game, for instance) is pretty big... if these things truly are parallel of course.

Quite excited about the possibilities there.

An achievement guide, or collectable map could be put up on the web to snap next to the game.

Cannot wait to see more :)

Here's ONE thread for people to discuss things they find interesting about the Xbox One and talk about things that have them excited. If you want to discuss things like the impending crash of the video game industry, or how you think this console will cause Microsoft to go entirely out of business and send the world's technology market into a downward spiral that will last the next 200 years, keep that talk in any of the other 35 threads on the front page already dedicated to that.

An example or two:

Microsoft's cloud server resources could be pretty awesome if the rumors about 100% dedicated game servers are true. Eliminating host advantages in games like FIFA and CoD would positively affect a huge number of people. This is a good example of something that isn't graphical fidelity, but can still greatly enhance your gameplay.

No used games certainly raises a few consumer rights' flags, but should we be concerned? For the last few years 90%+ of all games I've bought have been on a system with no used game sales (Steam and other retailers that provide me Steam keys) and I've been 100% satisfied. I will gladly give up my used game 'rights' if it means significantly cheaper games. I'm not saying this is guaranteed, but it's a possibility. Publishers see their sales data from Steam sales and they understand this logic can be applied to consoles as well.

Okay, so that's enough from me, maybe you are excited about a new higher fidelity Kinect that will hopefully eliminate the lag that completely ruined the original, maybe you just really like fantasy football and you're psyched for the NFL promotion, who knows!

Now go, let's hear what has you EXCITED about the Xbox One!

I just don't see that possibility coming to fruition. This is Microsoft we're talking about.

Anyway, I will say, I for one do like the look of the console. The back panel is shit and it's too large of a box, but otherwise it looks nice to me. I'm probably the only one, though.

Sulla1980

I like the snap feature, and the ability to split the screen. But am I correct in remembering that they didn't show the screen split between a game and a tv show? Because that is what I would use it for - not for using Internet Explorer.

2MF

I made a thread for this but it might as well go here.

Cannot wait to see more :)

Video chat on screen might be nice (then again most people/companies overestimate how much people like to do video phone calls).

Internet Explorer on the screen looks fairly useless though, especially given that most people have a better browser with a more intuitive interface in their pockets (smartphones).

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This sounds familiar :) Anyways, I thought Forza looked good yesterday, and I'm really hyped for the games at E3!

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'll admit the controller looked like the best one in history. The rest is a disaster. There will be no cheaper games on the xbox one. Look at xbox on demand pricing disaster as a template.

TheMink

Maybe we will have this soon, so thanks kinect.
Asa3.gif

I agree that the potential dedicated server situation and the idea that more games have access to cloud computing for world persistence and other similar features is interesting. Unfortunately I fear that these features come at too high a cost because they will be pointed at as reasons why some of the anti-consumer decisions were made.

If the controller has a significantly improved dpad, I'll buy one as soon as possible, assuming there will be a Windows driver at launch and it will just work with any game that currently supports the 360 on PC.

burst

I'm not worried about the Xone. This conference was set up to appeal to a mainstream audience away from the noise of e3. When people click on the link through mainstream websites, they will see cool motion controls for tv, voice control, movie, Skype etc and of course CoD.

Why would Microsoft deflate its e3 conference by announcing games at the reveal.

Amneisac

I'm not worried about the Xone. This conference was set up to appeal to a mainstream audience away from the noise of e3. When people click on the link through mainstream websites, they will see cool motion controls for tv, voice control, movie, Skype etc and of course CoD.

Why would Microsoft deflate its e3 conference by announcing games at the reveal.

GAF has shown it is completely incapable of waiting anymore. We have become so impatient, even a 19 day wait to E3 is a hopefully void where we have to thrown ourselves into a panic and assume all worst-case scenarios.

The show floor will tell all.

MS could have huge, huge games to show.

We still just don't know.

quest

Not Banned from OT
When was the last time E3 was it about the games for MS? I am sorry but E3 will be more of the same with a few Kinect 2.0 exclusives and maybe a few more game trailers. Gamers will be second class on the Xbox One like it or not. So don't get your hopes up for E3 for games during the MS presser.

Sulla1980

I know that you are right, but I still would have liked to have seen more games discussed.

Its okay, I can wait since I obviously cannot buy either PS4 or the XBOne right now, and thus need to make zero purchasing decisions based on what we saw yesterday.

ciridesu

Here's ONE

Sales are an anomaly currently. Thus, destroying the ONE significant competitor to game prices i.e. the used game market must thus mean lower prices. That's how it goes right?

I am sorry if that wen't against your original idea for the topic, but you cannot entertain a possibility that sounds as dumb as that. Anyway, I will wait till E3 to see more on the games etc. Quantum Break seemed really cool though; love Remedy.

burst

When was the last time E3 was it about the games for MS? I am sorry but E3 will be more of the same with a few Kinect 2.0 exclusives and maybe a few more game trailers. Gamers will be second class on the Xbox One like it or not. So don't get your hopes up for E3 for games during the MS presser.

You will be proven wrong. Hardcore gamers are early adopters.

Sydle

I like how effortless it is to switch between apps. I am definitely hooking this up to my cable box just for the convenience of it all.

The new controller looks great, I want to see what those triggers are about.

It seems Microsoft is also thinking about Kinect as a sensor to augment game experiences rather than make it the sole input method. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Dance Central, Your Fitness, etc., but hopefully those will be even better with the improved body tracking.

Forza and QB looked really good.

They made it sound like they have heavily invested in exclusive games. Looking forward to E3 to see what they deliver.

phaonaut

I wish they would have spent nearly the entire hour on the console instead of rushing through. Every time they got to a feature that PS4 does also, they simply mentioned and moved on. I heard more interesting things in the hardware panel than they actual reveal. The os switching tech alone is really cool.

Acheteedo

A topic for me!

I'll preface this by saying I think the PS4 will be my main gaming system, but I'm psyched about the XBone and will buy it day 1 for sure.

I've never owned a kinect so getting all the voice commands and gestures for simple navigation is pretty appealing to me, loading up netflix and a particular show is a bit of a drag right now as I tend not to have my controller within arms reach, if I can just say "Xbox play 24 on netflix" and it loads it straight up then that would be sweet.

Looking forward to the controller, I love the 360 controller and DS4 looks to be covering some ground that it desperately needed to, I think my analogue stick placement preference will mean I prefer the XBone controller, which is actually a shame if I'm going to be multiplatform gaming on the PS4... so I've got my fingers crossed that multiplatform games largely look the same on both systems, but I'm not holding my breath, there's a significant power difference between the two from what I can gather.

In terms of the graphics on show, the only one you can judge as representing gameplay was the CoD:Ghosts stuff. When we look at the context of those graphics, lets look at one of the more flattering pictures of CoD2, a year 1, 60fps, cross-platform game:

Look ugly by end of gen standards. So Ghosts is year 1, 60fps, cross-gen, cross-platform engine graphics, and that game looks like this:

Thus this is the baseline, the minimum, the rest of this gen will look spectacular on both XBone and PS4. It's hard to imagine how good end-of-gen, 30fps, next-gen exclusive games will look.

The requiring online checks every 24 hours I'm fine with, I hate piracy and once every 24 hours isn't too draconian for a console I'm going to have online anyway.

Second hand games... it sounds like we need to see how their system works, it might be overblown right now, it might not. I'd prefer that developers are kept in the loop of making money from second hand games, so long as the method to do it doesn't hugely hamper me. I'm hoping the system will be that you scan a barcode thingy using kinect in order to register the game, then you can release the licence meaning you can't use it, then anyone else can reclaim that licence by scanning the same card. Ideally, if you can reclaim the licence that you yourself released, then lending games to friends is opened back up. I could get behind that, but maybe it's just wishful thinking.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
There are a million other threads you could've posted this in.

We will find out the answer to this on June 10th.

Have to admit MS dug a pretty big hole and dropped the bar into it yesterday from a gamer point of view...outside or forza 5 the console showed us nothing but a US focused PVR with a pretty interface and motion tracking software that may be good providing it does not try and replace the traditional gaming experience.

on the horizon however
E3 could not possibly be any worse than what we saw unless giant crabs start appearing onscreen so im really hoping they show off some of the games we will be playing on the new xbox and that those games are good

PGR5,New Gears and Halo and im willing to bet the rare game is Perfect Dark so it should be a good launch lineup

ekim

When I first entered GAF yesterday after watching the reveal, I was like "Did I watch the same thing?" - I mean, it wasn't a good show but totally in the range of my expectations. If you don't care about the TV stuff - don't use it... Kinect 2 looks awesome and people getting nervous because it's always listening/watching might need to throw away there mobile phones. There is still gaming inside this box and the other stuff was put on top.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'll admit the controller looked like the best one in history. The rest is a disaster. There will be no cheaper games on the xbox one. Look at xbox on demand pricing disaster as a template.

Games on demand isn't a major part of the marketplace right now but will be in future

And they can't properly convey sales on the current Xbox marketplace

What you see now vs what you will see later are two different things, don't try to distort that

a satisfaction thread before anyone even get to see a box in a store?
Badly named thread I guess.

The 40 bashing threads on various aspects before anyone even sees a box in the store?
Waste of threads I guess.

As for the purpose of this thread:

- The snapping and instant switching is pretty cool. I could totally see myself playing a game and, if I get stuck, bringing up IE, snapping it in place, and looking to see if there's any info out there that could help me.

- The 360 controller was already perfect in my eyes so the XBO version looks just a good, if not better. I like how sleek it looks and the rumbling triggers is an interesting feature.

- I like how the console looks itself. It's a little big but that's alright. Only thing I'm not crazy about is that it looks half matte, half glossy. Wish it was totally matte. Not a fan of fingerprints.

Looking forward to E3 and what games they show.

Alx

Well the thing that keeps me excited about the Xbox is still mostly kinect, since I loved that arcade feel on the aging 360, and the next Xbox is probably the best console to experience the evolution of those games. Unfortunately we didn't see the games in the conference, so it's still expectations. But the few illustrations of body tracking were quite satisfying, modelizing the dynamic of the human body will certainly improve the stability of the tracking (less jittering).
That hear rate measurement feature is intriguing too, but more as a technical point than a game feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom