• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One seemingly won't support external storage at launch.

Kysen

For a console that was designed around a digital future surely a HDD expansion method would have been ready at launch.

Isn't the whole point of digital to be able to play any game on a whim easily without changing discs?

Either way both parties need to fix this if they plan on pushing digital.

Well yes, but I know from personal experience (Steam) that keeping everything on the disk is just a waste of space. Some games are just going to lay there forever (like old annual franchises, multiplayer games that got abandoned, not-so-replayable single-player games, etc.).

If I go digital-only it's because I don't care about bandwidth and download speeds (meaning I know my internet is fast enough so that if I want to replay something I deleted I don't have to wait longer than a couple hours).

Synth

why? presumably they are taking the route of '500GB should be enough until we get the update needed ready' and push it out at a later date.

I'd assume this is sitting on a very boring project timetable as 'not launch sensitive' and got pushed on date due to that.

If this was an isolated case then I wouldn't worry as much. However it feels like every other day we're receiving news on areas of the system that simply aren't ready. I was one of the few that really liked the original vision for XB1, and the closest I can get to that now is to purchase everything digitally. So hearing that they're "not sure when it'll come in" is not very comforting considering the numerous other things that they seem to require time to finish.

I don't want to at any point need to start uninstalling anything (the HDD won't only hold games). I wonder how many items on their project timetable are considered more important than this.

Freki

They've had to make drastic changes to their OS because of their DRM reversal.

It likely wasn't just "flipping a switch".

No it wasn't - MS had/has to implement physical copy protection for the game discs. I have a feeling they'll be paying the price for this in 6-12months when it comes to piracy - having to treat copy protection as an afterthought isn't a good place to be in...

Donos

Isn't the whole point of digital to be able to play any game on a whim easily without changing discs?

I don't really get this complaint. 500 GB are really fine for Xbox One and PS4. Even for digital games. Same with steam on my laptop. I have 3-4 games installed, i know i'm going to play. The rest is uninstalled.
Same with PS+ games on my PS3. Why do i need 30 games installed, some which i played a year ago the last time. If i think i'm going to play them again, i download them (50 mbit down, so that goes rather fast). Ok, i get why people with slow internet want everything on the HDD.

More space is better but 500 GB are a good size.

Tobor

Sony has a solution in place at launch, anyone needing more space can buy a larger drive and install it on day 1.

GavinGT

Banned
No it wasn't - MS had/has to implement physical copy protection for the game discs. I have a feeling they'll be paying the price for this in 6-12months when it comes to piracy - having to treat copy protection as an afterthought isn't a good place to be in...

It's really not. I have a feeling the system will be cracked pretty quickly.

Demon Ice

Banned
because the team's working on other things

Namely, rushing an incomplete console to market.

Seriously, someone should put a running list up of all the advertised XB1 features that won't be available at launch.

Also, has anybody told that guy that you can't replace the XB1 HDD yet?

tzare

Another example of why the system is rushed...

exactly. really unexpected from MS, at least this kind 'basic' of features, already available on 360.
I expect however that some new features for both ps4 & One will be available after launch, like Gaikai

Chobel

Can I put my media files in external storage?
I'm assuming the restriction is only for installing games but Major Nelson didn't specify anything in his podcast.

Knuf

Definitely a worry about security. If the team is so uncertain about their own creation, WTF have they been doing for the last 12 months? Choosing tile border colors?

Or you know, maybe that 6 months behind schedule rumour is just true, and priority right now is getting something usable out there so that the few tier 1 countries left don't suddenly become tier 2, too.
But seriously, WTF have MS been doing last 2 years? They completely stopped supporting 360, so you expect them to be ready for a new console 2013 launch when they clearly are not. Maybe they were partying just like Nintendo?
Just delay the console to 2014 and rebrand/relaunch it, while you're at it, MS.

Coxy

I don't really get this complaint. 500 GB are really fine for Xbox One and PS4. Even for digital games. Same with steam on my laptop. I have 3-4 games installed, i know i'm going to play. The rest is uninstalled.
Same with PS+ games on my PS3. Why do i need 30 games installed, some which i played a year ago the last time. If i think i'm going to play them again, i download them (50 mbit down, so that goes rather fast). Ok, i get why people with slow internet want everything on the HDD.

More space is better but 500 GB are a good size.

Fine for you doesnt mean fine for everyone. 500GB wasnt even enough for my ps3 with its occasional partial installs

GavinGT

Banned
Or you know, maybe that 6 months behind schedule rumour is just true, and priority right now is getting something usable out there so that the few tier 1 countries left don't suddenly become tier 2, too.
But seriously, WTF have MS been doing last 2 years? They completely stopped supporting 360, so you expect them to be ready for a new console 2013 launch when they clearly are not. Maybe they were partying just like Nintendo?
Just delay the console to 2014 and rebrand/relaunch it, while you're at it, MS.

They showed a ton of games at E3, so that's what their game developers have been working on.

Donos

Fine for you doesnt mean fine for everyone. 500GB wasnt even enough for my ps3 with its occasional partial installs

I know that it's not fine for everyone and i know that not everybody has fast internet but it's really not a dealbreaker. Having a 20 GB PS3 or Xbox360 Starter is way more critical than 500 GB of space + cloud for saves.

...How could anyone fill up 500GBs on an Xbox within like 5 or 6 months of Launch.

With every game fully installing to the HDD, it's really not that difficult. Just depends on how much of the BD their games use, I guess.

They showed a ton of games at E3, so that's what their game developers have been working on.

Most of them were originally 360 games, so it really doesn't disprove that rumour.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
hah so wii u can offer more storage than ps4 or xbone

Ships with 32GB at most and supports external. I don't think WiiU really wins in any regard when it needs the portable storage more than Xbone or PS4. Not that there will be the bevvy of games on WiiU to use the storage like the games coming to PS4/Xbone.

But if Xbone doesn't even support external storage at all, that would be odd.

oneils

If Xbox one is supposed to be a mediA hub, then 500gb might' be kind of limiting.

Can it act as a dvr? Or can you just connect a dvr to it?

SGRX

They want people to exhaust some of the capacity on the stock hard drive before announcing the $249/$399 1TB/2TB MS-branded hard drives.

Riky

$MSFT
Not a problem at launch but I'm not too pleased about 500gb hard drives in these machines and with the X1 being non removable with mandatory installs.

Got nearly 200 disc games for my 360 and my 250gb HDD is full to the brim of DLC and arcade games after 8 years, only ever have room for a couple of installs and I'm always juggling space.

Maybe I'll just have to buy less games.

3oea3s.jpg

Synth

Yeah, because I'm sure that we're all going to fill up ~420 GB on launch day.

It's not about filling it up on launch day. It's about them not even knowing when it will be ready. I expect to be buying a finished product.

It's not like the console is being was put together in a 3 month window or something. There simply shouldn't be so many things that aren't ready at the time of launch. The XB1 is the only one of the three consoles I have any real interest in currently (it has a monopoly on the games I actually want to play), but I'm not impressed with how they've handled the launch so far.

Well I doubt anyone is going to fill the 500 gigs at launch, it'll take some time to hit that limit.

Still kind of weird, I can't imagine it's that difficult to implement.

What's next? "Microsoft announces that online play and game recording DVR won't be available at launch"

Never saw a game company fumble so much with functions announced and then slash them and say "oh it's coming but not in launch".

synce

I wonder if the external solution will be proprietary. How complicated can it be to add support for an ordinary drive?

MoneyHats

Banned
Of course it won't.

Nothing seems ready with this console.

So the PS4 not supporting games on external drives seems more ready to you? What's the point of external drive support then? 1TB of game saves? Lol. 500GB is going to take some time to fill, no need to get an external drive on day one. The cynics need not come out at every XBO thread, its getting old.

CTLance

Wii-U > PS4 > Xbox One
I'll admit it, this got me good.

On topic: This is why I will not be there for launch.

Will wait until the consoles are actually useable and offer their full functionality before committing. Day One-ers* are tools for paying to be public beta testers. :-/

Edit: * as in time. Not the console SKU. Damn you, MS.

Top Bottom