• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One seemingly won't support external storage at launch.

why? presumably they are taking the route of '500GB should be enough until we get the update needed ready' and push it out at a later date.

I'd assume this is sitting on a very boring project timetable as 'not launch sensitive' and got pushed on date due to that.

Whatever MS did/do/will do is ridiculous

hwy_61

Banned
I've had a 500gb in my PS3 for the longest, and I haven't even come close to filling that bitch up. Not even with PS+ am I coming close.

So 500gb is fine for me. By the time I'll need extra storage they will have put out a patch to support external HDDs anyways.

pixlexic

Banned
I've had a 500gb in my PS3 for the longest, and I haven't even come close to filling that bitch up. Not even with PS+ am I coming close.

I did and it wasnt pretty. Games started stuttering. the OS was horribly slow and buggy.

Had to reformat the whole thing.. lost a lot of saves. :(

Mik_Pad

Banned

So 500gb is fine for me. By the time I'll need extra storage they will have put out a patch to support external HDDs anyways.
Remember games will take more space this time around and if someone is planning to go all digital this could be troublesome.

TheD

The Detective
This sounds like not just games not being installable on external HDDs, but not being able to use an external drive at all, not even for media usage.

That makes a 500GB HDD not much at all.

smr00

Banned
That's fine. 500 GB is a lot. I don't plan on filling up my hard drive that fast after launch.
If you plan on going all-digital like a lot of people, 500gb isn't a lot.

Games are getting bigger and bigger in terms of size and now that XBONE is using blu-ray you will see less and less super compressed games. More and more 15-20gb at minimum. I filled up my 250gb PS3 in less than 6 months and filled up my 500gb internal HDD on my PC is like 3 months via steam.

500gb is nothing these days. Not if you plan on going digital or if you plan on leaving installed games installed.

hwy_61

Banned
Remember games will take more space this time around and if someone is planning to go all digital this could be troublesome.

How hard is it to delete games you've longed finished? Unless every single game you own has multiplayer that you're active in.

It's not like you won't be able to redownload games you've deleted.

Amir0x

Banned
Of course if Sony doesn't allow game installs on external harddrives, Microsoft has to one up them and not have support for external harddrives whatsoever at launch. Good times, good times.

When Turn10 said you need download 10GB when you first time start the game?
When they said that you'd need to download the second half of the career mode to continue playing. Essentially, the tracks and cars for career mode weren't finished in time.

Here's where the eventually part comes in. "The player won't be blocked from playing the game" if they've never connected it to Xbox Live, Greenawalt said. "But deeper areas in the career mode were designed to utilize these additional cars and tracks."

He clarified even further.

"This is similar to what we did on Forza Motorsports in the last generation as well – shipping both free and premium content at launch. In some ways it’s similar to the Disc 2 content in FM4 as well. However, this time (unlike DLC tracks in previous Forza’s) deeper progression in the career mode was designed to fully integrate this launch downloadable content."
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/07/18/forza-motorsport-5-install-offline-details-clarified

I bet it would have been ready to go by launch if you crybabies hadn't thrown a tantrum over the 24 online check in. MS could have verified everything on your drive and made sure there was nothing illicit, now they have no way of knowing you haven't put some kind of hack thing on there.

hwy_61

Banned
I bet it would have been ready to go by launch if you crybabies hadn't thrown a tantrum over the 24 online check in. MS could have verified everything on your drive and made sure there was nothing illicit, now they have no way of knowing you haven't put some kind of hack thing on there.

Hahahahaha

ethomaz

Banned
That's not a issue for most gamers but makes I think how much MS is late in the Xbox One software development.

Mik_Pad

Banned
How hard is it to delete games you've longed finished? Unless every single game you own has multiplayer that you're active in.

It's not like you won't be able to redownload games you've deleted.
Yeah I get your point but still it would be better to just have all your content at your disposal.

hwy_61

Banned
Yeah I get your point but still it would be better to just have all your content at your disposal.

I suppose. Then again, maybe we should stop being game hoarders!

My steam list is pretty stupid in how many games I haven't played in a year are on there.

Eknots

I'm very curious if anyone knows if PS4 started development before XB1, I would assume they started at the same time but I really don't know anymore.

Dinjooh

Different situation. The main career mode is shipping unfinished; you can't complete it without the additional cars and tracks.

No, it's not.

Can't finish career mode without it; incomplete.

IRDXCe7.png

I didn't ask that. I asked if you could finish the career mode without downloading any additional tracks or cars.

If you can't, then the game has shipped unfinished.

Yup,just like almost all games,problem?
And even they include this in disc,but then they may have future DLCs for career mode,then are you screaming "incomplete!!!" again?yeah of course,because it's MS game

Yup,just like almost all games,problem?
Nope, you've admitted it's shipping unfinished.

I don't really care about your opinion on other games.

No need to rage; it's incomplete because you can't complete the main part of the game without additional content. It's got nothing to do with it being a MS game.

Nope, you've admitted it's shipping unfinished.

I don't really care about your opinion on other games.

No need to rage; it's incomplete because you can't complete the main part of the game without additional content. It's got nothing to do with it being a MS game.

Nah,it's finished,the unfinished just by your standard.
I think other games like Forza 5 are finished,than why Forza 5 is not finished for me?wat?

No one is rage unless you're raging

Nah,it's finished,the unfinished just by your standard.
I think other games like Forza 5 are finished,that why Forza 5 for me won't finished?wat?

No one is rage unless you're raging
This is my last post on the matter, because I feel nothing I say will convince you out of your mindset and it's derailing the thread.

The game isn't complete if it doesn't ship with the full content to finish the single player mode. If I have to download additional content to complete the main game mode, then the game has shipped unfinished.

IMBored

If their first plan was to install all digital and disk games on the HDD, and not allowing to swap it, external HDD would be a must.
Maybe this is about the extra security they have to plan now that they can't fall back on the always online, witch would make the system even more rushed.

How hard can this really be to implement?

I mean really.
I'm pretty sure the original plan was based on their previous DRM policy, so there was no need to put additional (or any) protection to prevent you from using it on other Xbones since online authentication was required. But now that its gone, they'll have to come up with local DRMs which is probably still work in progress.

iMax

I'm very curious if anyone knows if PS4 started development before XB1, I would assume they started at the same time but I really don't know anymore.

Xbox One (Durango) development started in 2010 (note: earlier proposals, e.g. Yukon, preceded Durango initially).

At least it's coming. It will probably be there by the time I jump in. I like this better than the PS3/PS4 approach where it's never coming and rather than being able to continually expand as you need more space, you have to buy an internal drive day one or suffer through the joys of downloading and installing an entire HDD worth of content through PSN and still end up with way less space than if they'd let you add an external drive.

jond76

Banned
A bunch of complaints about a feature not there on day one that no one will be ready to use anyway? Must be an Xbox thread.

This is my last post on the matter, because I feel nothing I say will convince you out of your mindset and it's derailing the thread.

The game isn't complete if it doesn't ship with the full content to finish the single player mode. If I have to download additional content to complete the main game mode, then the game has shipped unfinished.
Wish you said this in every other games then
And i say again,games like this(=almost all games,have Day one or future DLCs) are finished for me,Forza 5 is one of them

Top Bottom