• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sells one million+ (sell through to consumers) in all territories worldwide

Steroyd

So why do they need to take away features if the value is so great? This is just like the DLC situation all over again, cut out parts of the experience and sell them for extra. It's shameful.

They "only" took away online multiplayer and it's because of the second paragraph that you didn't quote.

Moosichu

Sony provided you a month of service for free to see if you want that service or not. If you do not want to play online multiplayer, then do not get PS+. Pretty simple, and something people on Xbox have been doing for 7 years now.

Atleast Sony actually gives you quality back with your investment in free games. Res0gun is one of the best games at launch for the PS4 and guess what, you do not have to pay on top of the PS+ for it. You will also get 60-75% discounts on games from now till the end of this consoles lifespan.

You have all the choice. Either purchase or not. I guess the mistake Sony made was offering free multiplayer last generation. Spoiled people now do not want to pay a whopping 4 dollars a month. Black Friday will see 30$ 1 year PSN also. Then it is like 2-3$ a month. The money we are talking about here is absolutely nothing. Complaining about it just makes you look cheap.

Exactly. I wont buy Sony stuff. I will get my MP elsewhere. Sony has been spoiled by my money. They will see less of that now.

Qi95joE.png

Above is a chart of an impending bloodbath

Biker19

Banned
Only stupid fanboys wants MS or Sony to dominate. It was great the last gen with both consoles just about neck and neck. Great for consumers. Good for consumers and good for retail.
It's a pity that WiiU isn't more successful too.

But at the same time, if we support Microsoft for them to do great just because of this so-called "competition," then we're sending them a message that it's OK for them to be doing what they're doing.

Sony had to be knocked down a peg or two for it with the PS3, now it's Microsoft's turn with Xbox One.

szaromir

Banned
Charging for PS+ is not the anti consumer part, holding multiplayer hostage until you cough up the dough is.
You're abusing the word anti-consumer. As a purchaser of PS4 you have a number of rights, eg. you can resell the console, but free access to online multiplayer isn't your right, it's a premium service that Sony is offering.

Of course, putting online multiplayer behind the paywall lowers the value of both Xbox One and PS4 immensely (particularly compared to PC gaming), but it's not inherently anti-consumer.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Exactly. I wont buy Sony stuff. I will get my MP elsewhere. Sony has been spoiled by my money. They will see less of that now.

That's your choice. However, your options are limited unless you want to buy into Nintendo's mediocre online or jump into PC gaming multiplayer which is hit or miss. I can understand not wanting to pay for MP after it being free last gen, but limiting it only to MP is a hell of a lot better that expanding it to apps you already pay money for.

KOMANI

KOMANI
But at the same time, if we support Microsoft for them to do great just because of this so-called "competition," then we're sending them a message that it's OK for them to be doing what they're doing.

Sony had to be knocked down a peg or two for it with the PS3, now it's Microsoft's turn with Xbox One.

agreed.

An Another topic... Sony making people pay for multiplayer this gen was a smart move. If they had people pay last gen, they would have been buried completely by people during the PSN controversy. Sony needs to make money, and by charging for MP, they'll be able to make some profit, instead of always breaking even.

Can I just say... XB1 being released into a market EASILY twice the size of the market the PS4 was released into, you'd kind of expect it to be a bit more.

I really wonder how the PS4 is gonna do this weekend coming.

Raist

Banned

It's not that hard. Fron now to the end of the year, the PS4 will have launched in the whole of EU, LA, and most of Asia, the ME, Africa, and possibly India. All of them being historically more into PS than MS consoles.

During that period, XB1 sales will still be limited to the 13 launch countries. NA, bits of SA, and not even half of EU.

Sanjuro

agreed.

An Another topic... Sony making people pay for multiplayer this gen was a smart move. If they had people pay last gen, they would have been buried completely by people during the PSN controversy. Sony needs to make money, and by charging for MP, they'll be able to make some profit, instead of always breaking even.

The PSN has been largely a terrible service.

I've been paying for Xbox Live since day one, and the quality/progression of the service has been worth the investment.

So, going from that mindset, I have no problem paying a premium to receive a premium service. At the moment Sony still has some work to do. Their online is vastly improved for the PS4, but still a clunky mess. I can only see it getting better.

Sanjuro

It's not that hard. Fron now to the end of the year, the PS4 will have launched in the whole of EU, LA, and most of Asia, the ME, Africa, and possibly India.

During that period, XB1 sales will still be limited to the 13 launch countries. NA, bits of SA, and not even half of EU.

Sony has always been stronger in those markets.

Sony will probably see another million within the first two days.

Why should Microsoft care about largely markets that they aren't releasing in?

As a consumer, why should I care about any of those markets?

Answer is we both shouldn't.

Raist

Banned

As a consumer, why should I care about any of those markets?

Answer is we both shouldn't.

Well I don't know why you think you should define what others should "care" about, and felt like replying to Deus' post then.

And yes, MS should worry that Sony is getting a big head start. Since the one they themselves had last gen was eventually nullified.

KOMANI

KOMANI

I've been paying for Xbox Live since day one, and the quality/progression of the service has been worth the investment.

So, going from that mindset, I have no problem paying a premium to receive a premium service. At the moment Sony still has some work to do. Their online is vastly improved for the PS4, but still a clunky mess. I can only see it getting better.

although not up to par, I wouldn't call it terrible... Even with the controversy. I love my free games, and I love playing MP for free, and using the Netflix app for free on my PS3...

Nintendo's online service...now that's a terrible service.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Flatout wrong. Especially on Vita and PS4.

Sanjuro

Flatout wrong. Especially on Vita and PS4.

I've never used Vita. I've used the PS4 quite a bit already, it's really a great start.

although not up to par, I wouldn't call it terrible... Even with the controversy. I love my free games, and I love playing MP for free, and using the Netflix app for free on my PS3...

Nintendo's online service...now that's a terrible service.

I hardly call what Nintendo provides a service. It's still suitable, for regular online gaming though not quite.

Sanjuro

Well this is a thread about sales, so caring about sales in this thread seems to make sense.

Sure. The point that he was attempting to defend was basically "Microsoft is fucked". While looking at that chart, it shows nothing remotely close to that.

You say. "I don't care about sales in other regions"... but you are in a thread discussing sales in other regions.

oxymoron < look it up

I am. Although, I'm not moving goal posts.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Oh? How so?

Easy. Numerous games on PC like Steam for example, start off strong for MP and over time become empty or get stronger. Like I said, hit or miss. Of course, that goes for any platform, but with Xbone/PS4 having multiplayer games with strong followings will help.

Abounder

Banned
Sitting on the sidelines, when it comes to online services:

PSN has free games but I hated how they handled the PSN hack (RIP SOCOM 4), and how they handled resetting users' passwords without e-mailing them first because of a possible security breach earlier in this week. From the streams I've seen Battlefield 4 runs smoother on Live instead of PSN (less rubber banding), and they were able to play 64-player games from Day 1 although obviously EA still has its work cut out for them still when it comes to crashing. And 'Music Unlimited' can go fuck itself

Nintendo's service is free but that eshop account system needs to be unified like yesterday

Xbox Live needs to start offering free games like PSN which they are starting to. I also have much more confidence that Microsoft has the personnel and infrastructure to improve their UI and online moreso than the rest of the Big 3. MS also needs to reach out to indies better

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Have you used any Sony products over the last 15 or so years? I have used a lot of them and they're always filled to the brim with anti consumer bull crap. Sony always uses proprietary ports, proprietary memory cards, proprietary everything to force you into buying their stuff. Not to mention their hilarious DRM music standard that rendered most of their mp3 players unusable. Don't kid yourself, they are just as evil as Microsoft.

Oh, how big of them! "Remember that thing that you used to get for free a few years ago? Here's a taste, now pay us because f you we want money". Consumer rights are being eroded and we only care about who screwed us over first. That bodes well for the future.

Neither Microsoft nor Sony are 'evil'. These are companies trying to gain a dominant position in the market in their own way and according to their own vision for the future. If you don't agree with the way they're doing things, then you can always refrain from buying their systems/services.
You want free multiplayer, I get it. I do too. And Sony did too. But if you've got to realise that the market had spoken over the past generation. The market's message was that free online multiplayer was not as desirable as more robust, subscription based, multiplayer.

At the same time, revenue streams are changing for these companies. They are not making money on selling you the console. Rather they are making their profits through the software and services they can offer you. For Microsoft, this is selling you on Xbox Live and the Xbox ecosystem. For Sony, this is PSN and the whole ecosystem surrounding their system. The battle between their two systems this generation is much more about these two services than it has ever been. It wouldn't make any sense for multiplayer to be free after all of this. It must also be highlighted that PSN offers you the ability to watch Netflix and other streaming services for free whereas they are behind a pay wall on Xbox Live. You can buy a PS4 and use the vast majority of its PSN features without paying for anything. This is of course not counting the fact that PS+ also offers free games as part of the subscription. In spite of this, Microsoft has still not publicly stated whether they will ever consider changing their policy towards services like Netflix. You can see the difference between the two approaches. Sony believes it has to convince you that PS+ is worth the money, and it does this by offering you incentives. Microsoft believes it doesn't need to convince you of Xbox Live and puts many services unrelated to Xbox Live behind a pay wall because Xbox Live is the places where they make their money. They were making ample money from Xbox Live without any sort of risk, and they don't see the benefit in changing this any time soon.

Your arguments against paying for multiplayer are admirable, but its a generation too late. If you're going to buy either console coming in with this mindset, I suggest you get yourself a PS4 so that we at least won't have to deal with netflix and other services being behind a pay wall next generation.

Raist

Banned
Sure. The point that he was attempting to defend was basically "Microsoft is fucked". While looking at that chart, it shows nothing remotely close to that.

Fucked? No. In trouble? Yes.
As for the bolded, you're now the one who should explain then.

Great news, people everywhere want consoles! :D

It itsnt quite as impressive as that Somy number, with a million in one region alone, but still. A million! In the first day! Cool :)

They're both equally impressive. Both sold as many as they can produce. Sony needs to gain more market share in the US so they concentrated every unit here. MS needs to gain in Europe so they're trying to get a head start by sending units there. Had all units stayed in the US, the numbers wouldn't change since demand is several times greater than supply.

KOMANI

KOMANI

PSN has free games but I hated how they handled the PSN hack (RIP SOCOM 4), and how they handled resetting users' passwords without e-mailing them first because of a possible security breach earlier in this week. From the streams I've seen Battlefield 4 runs smoother on Live instead of PSN (less rubber banding), and they were able to play the game from Day 1 although obviously EA has its work cut out for them still when it comes to crashing. And 'Music Unlimited' can go fuck itself

Nintendo's service is free but that eshop account system needs to be unified like yesterday

Xbox Live needs to start offering free games like PSN which they are starting to. I also have much more confidence that Microsoft has the personnel and infrastructure to improve their UI and online moreso than the rest of the Big 3

it also depends on WHICH games they offer. Free games won't cut it alone, but Free, good games? Now we're in business.

great WHO album by the way.

Sanjuro

Fucked? No. In trouble? Yes.
As for the bolded, you're now the one who should explain then.

I've already explained I don't believe they are in trouble. Microsoft's bread and butter is mostly North America and Europe, with the latter generating sales at a far slower pace.

Having a successful launch in the Asian markets is good, but not really a priority based upon that chart.

szaromir

Banned
They care because marketshare is very important in the vg console market. That said, people predicting impending doom for Xbone are largely overreacting, the worst thing that can happen for Microsoft is that PS4 will sell out and Xbone won't, but the delta won't be big given the limited shipment quantities.

MS's bigger problem is that PS4 is looking like the long-term winner as well with cheaper price and better performing multiplatform games, so it'll be interesting to see what Microsoft does to make their console appear more attrative.

A terrible service in what sense?

I hear plenty of people saying how rubbish it is but never actually list reasons, I'm sure you have some so please elaborate, especially on how you feel it has improved on the PS4 whilst still being clunky.

Betty

Banned

Absolutely, even if the Xbox were to tank, which it simply won't, MS will do fine anyway

But speaking strictly about Next Gen console sales, the PS4 seems poised to dominate, for the immediate future anyway. I think that's all Deus was trying to convey.

PSN has free games but I hated how they handled the PSN hack (RIP SOCOM 4), and how they handled resetting users' passwords without e-mailing them first because of a possible security breach earlier in this week. From the streams I've seen Battlefield 4 runs smoother on Live instead of PSN (less rubber banding), and they were able to play 64-player games from Day 1 although obviously EA still has its work cut out for them still when it comes to crashing. And 'Music Unlimited' can go fuck itself

Xbox Live needs to start offering free games like PSN which they are starting to. I also have much more confidence that Microsoft has the personnel and infrastructure to improve their UI and online moreso than the rest of the Big 3. MS also needs to reach out to indies better

Wouldn't that have more to do with the players internet connection and EA's servers?

Sanjuro

A terrible service in what sense?

I hear plenty of people saying how rubbish it is but never actually list reasons, I'm sure you have some so please elaborate, especially on how you feel it has improved on the PS4 whilst still being clunky.

Sure.

I think the UI is pretty clunky and unintuitive. Small stuff, but a lot of going back and forth for small things. Most notable being the party chat. I can view a friend, see he is in a chat, but cannot join because he did not start the party. So, I have to find his friend and join his party or go directly to the party chat icon. While the latter seems simple enough, I'm not always looking to join a chat from the get go.

I've had quite a bit of programs crashing excessively while heading to the menu as well. That probably will be addressed in a future update.

Like I said, it's a great start. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks very different in a couple years.

quite frankly I think they are doing great.
since the 180s
the xbone is a great console.

I've already explained I don't believe they are in trouble. Microsoft's bread and butter is mostly North America and Europe, with the latter generating sales at a far slower pace.

This is where sell numbers are troubling. MS needs North America.

Microsoft having to launch worldwide to match PS4's day one sales in North America alone tells you one thing, Xbox one sales were not over million in North America alone.

Sony is about to launch in Europe.. a stronger market for them.

Godslay

Banned
Absolutely, even if the Xbox were to tank, which it simply won't, MS will do fine anyway

But speaking strictly about Next Gen console sales, the PS4 seems poised to dominate, for the immediate future anyway. I think that's all Deus was trying to convey.

Possibly. Although I will say that if MS is able to market the Xbone outside of just a machine for games (like the PS4), it will do more sales than the PS4 in the US at least long term. Depends on if MS can pigeonhole the PS4, and if MS can pull in that larger audience. Should be interesting, but it's all marketing from here on out.

Raist

Banned

Having a successful launch in the Asian markets is good, but not really a priority based upon that chart.

Fine, if you want to ignore countries which should be taken into account, unless MS doesn't want to expand its market. WW sales figures also influence third parties, which in turn influences sales.

Whatever then, but still, they've launched in 7 countries in the EU and that won't change till sometimes next year, while Sony's about to launch in the whole of europe. Or does this not count either?

Your arguments against paying for multiplayer are admirable, but its a generation too late. If you're going to buy either console coming in with this mindset, I suggest you get yourself a PS4 so that we at least won't have to deal with netflix and other services being behind a pay wall next generation.

I'm not going to buy either console. I'll stick with PC and Steam where I can get ever-wvolving functionality without paying through the nose for it.

Sanjuro

This is where sell numbers are troubling. MS needs North America.

Microsoft having to launch worldwide to match PS4's day one sales in North America alone tells you one thing, Xbox one sales were not over million in North America alone.

Sony is about to launch in Europe.. a stronger market from them.

MS needs North America, but they don't need to be the outright leader in consoles sold.

Top Bottom