• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sells one million+ (sell through to consumers) in all territories worldwide

Sure.

I think the UI is pretty clunky and unintuitive. Small stuff, but a lot of going back and forth for small things. Most notable being the party chat. I can view a friend, see he is in a chat, but cannot join because he did not start the party. So, I have to find his friend and join his party or go directly to the party chat icon. While the latter seems simple enough, I'm not always looking to join a chat from the get go.

I've had quite a bit of programs crashing excessively while heading to the menu as well. That probably will be addressed in a future update.

Like I said, it's a great start. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks very different in a couple years.
And what about the online service? Because everything there is just software.

To have issues with the online service would be things like I keep getting disconnected when I'm trying to play a game, matchmaking never works, I get slow speeds, the quality of the voice chat sucks bananas.

Having to locate a friend in a different manor to what you would prefer is nothing to do with what you're paying your PS+ money for.

Sanjuro

Fine, if you want to ignore countries which should be taken into account, unless MS doesn't want to expand its market. WW sales figures also influence third parties, which in turn influences sales.

Whatever then, but still, they've launched in 7 countries in the EU and that won't change till sometimes next year, while Sony's about to launch in the whole of europe. Or does this not count either?

I'm not outright ignoring them. The logic on third party developers didn't really phase last the last generation, unless you're Nintendo.

I never said they didn't count. Microsoft launched in the markets they obviously consider the priority. As of right now, they are doing a good job at moving their product in those markets. I don't see the problem.

EGM1966

I've already explained I don't believe they are in trouble. Microsoft's bread and butter is mostly North America and Europe, with the latter generating sales at a far slower pace.

Having a successful launch in the Asian markets is good, but not really a priority based upon that chart.

I don't think you're fully taking in all the implications of the chart. Consider:

• the chart pretty much confirms PS4 just outsold XB1 in US on launch day - this is a huge change and puts MS in second place (at least for now) in their home turf. This is bad for MS from marketshare perspective although it doesn't mean they won't sell well in US overall
  • the chart indicates that XB1 sales outside US were likely muted (we know bulk of the 1 million has to be US leaving UK and the rest looking weak) and all the signs are when PS4 launches in those territories it will leave XB1 in the dust even in UK where again MS led Sony last gen
  • the chart indicates that MS are going to start this gen pretty far behind Sony once PS4 launches 29th. MS had a big start in US no doubt (I think this is your point) but the chart shows that Sony matched MS just with US/Canada - when UK and rest of Europe come online 29th Sony is going to storm ahead of XB1 unit sale
  • Finally the chart shows Sony will get to the more outlying areas first and still has Japan to come - I get your view these don't matter to MS but they will add to Sony total and put PS4 even further ahead of XB1 worldwide units sold

The big message is simple - last gen 360 lead from the start until the dying breath of the gen, this time it looks like the PS4 will lead from the start and historically while Sony has shown they can catch up on MS from behind (albeit very slow) there is no evidence historically to support MS ever catching Sony up once it's in the lead.

Not sure I'd call it a bloodbath but the chart clearly implies XB1 being put firmly in second place right away and trailing by a fair distance.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
The majority of my media consumption was through my PS3 this past generation, and I never paid a single penny.
If I wanted to do the same on my 360, I would have to have been on Gold.
Whenever I wanted to play online, PSN was not never as robust as Xbox Live. But that's easy, because online multiplayer was never really at the core of what Sony was trying to do with the PS3. It was media integration. And the PS3 did this very well.
But multiplayer alone wasn't worth $60 a year for me to pay for Xbox Live. Especially when you have a good PC with Steam, especially when the majority of Xbox games were also available to play on PC.

CoG

Possibly. Although I will say that if MS is able to market the Xbone outside of just a machine for games (like the PS4), it will do more sales than the PS4 in the US at least long term. Depends on if MS can pigeonhole the PS4, and if MS can pull in that larger audience. Should be interesting, but it's all marketing from here on out.

The whole "larger audience" thing is just MS chasing rainbows. Nobody is going to buy an Xbone for its media capabilities when most of that stuff is built into people's TV in the first place. There's no market for a $500 media box. Heck there's no market for one at half that price.

Microsoft is in trouble because Sony just ate their lunch in their only stronghold. Where the US ultimately stands may be up in the air but out the gate it's not favorable for MS. Sony dominates the rest of the world as it is, the PS4 just left MS in the dust in all territories but US/UK with no chance of ever catching up. Unless MS can get to price parity with Sony quick they'll never catch up in US/UK either.

Sanjuro

And what about the online service? Because everything there is just software.

To have issues with the online service would be things like I keep getting disconnected when I'm trying to play a game, matchmaking never works, I get slow speeds, the quality of the voice chat sucks bananas.

Having to locate a friend in a different manor to what you would prefer is nothing to do with what you're paying your PS+ money for.

I haven't used it enough to really give a solid answer, there needs to be some quality titles out there for me to really gauge that. So far, it's pretty good. Inviting friends has been hit or miss, but I've had a couple solid games in Killzone. Not having voice chat available in that game is a huge question mark though...I'm not sure who to blame and I'm not sure if I even give a big enough shit to care. It's just noticeable.

On the PS3 it was simply awful for the most part, that isn't a mystery.

Someone was kind enough on here to give me a year of PS+, so I'm going to have to see how things go. Downloads have been fantastically fast, the biggest improvement for myself. Also, Resogun is the best game on the console...it's also free. Good stuff.

The PSN has been largely a terrible service.

I've been paying for Xbox Live since day one, and the quality/progression of the service has been worth the investment.

So, going from that mindset, I have no problem paying a premium to receive a premium service. At the moment Sony still has some work to do. Their online is vastly improved for the PS4, but still a clunky mess. I can only see it getting better.

What are you talking about. The PS4 is pretty much neck and neck with Live now. There is barely anything differentiating them at this point. In fact if anything Xbox Live is more clunky in a lot of ways than the PS4 UI as MS made some baffling decisions with it.

Raist

Banned
I'm not outright ignoring them. The logic on third party developers didn't really phase last the last generation, unless you're Nintendo.

It did have an influence I'm sure you noticed that 360 was lead platform in many cases. This was partly due to the fact that there were more consoles out there, and the earlier launch.

I never said they didn't count. Microsoft launched in the markets they obviously consider the priority. As of right now, they are doing a good job at moving their product in those markets. I don't see the problem.

The problem is that in less than a week the PS4 will compete with the XB1 in every single country the latter has launched in, and will sell in many markets which won't be seeing the XB1 for a while.
This has nothing to do with MS's "strategy" unless you believe that they wouldn't have launched in more countries if they could have afforded it.

So, you're saying if Microsoft isn't number one in the United States they are fucked? That just doesn't make any sense. If they sell like Nintendo, then maybe. Right now there is nothing indicating that.

"Right now" the PS4 has likely sold roughly twice more in NA than the XB1.

El-Suave

MS needs North America, but they don't need to be the outright leader in consoles sold.

If their tactic continues to be buying exclusivities that's not going to get cheaper. The big publishers like those European sales just as much as the US ones (if not more depending on currency fluctuations).

CoG

The PSN has been largely a terrible service.

PSN has been at parity with XBL for all intents and purposes since the last stretch of the PS3 era. The PS4 seals the deal, exceeding what MS does with game streaming and no paywalls on non-gaming functionality.

Sure, MS will get streaming soon but for the first time ever Sony is ahead of MS with regards to online offerings.

USC-fan

Banned
locking the medua feature behind a paywall is so stupid. why would any not really into gaming pay $499 plus $60 a year to do something a $99 appletv does better?

1 year of just live is about the cost of an roku or appletv on a sale.

Sanjuro

What are you talking about. The PS4 is pretty much neck and neck with Live now. There is barely anything differentiating them at this point. In fact if anything Xbox Live is more clunky in a lot of ways than the PS4 UI as MS made some baffling decisions with it.

Haven't gotten my hands on Xbox One Live yet (Thanks Amazon!), but from that Giant Bomb stream it seems like there are some serious day one issues. I'm not sure how they went developing it, ground up or a hybrid, but it seems they have some work to do as well.

My points on PS4 online is still pretty fair. I've made no invalid or outlandish claims, I just think that they have their work cut out for them. It's a great start contrasting my experience with them on prior hardware.

satam55

Banned

A lot of Xbox loyalists are holding out hope that XBL vs. PSN on current-gen is gonna be the same on Next-gen. Ignoring the fact that Steam & PSN on PS Vita are already better than XBL.

Sanjuro

A lot of Xbox loyalists are holding out hope that XBL vs. PSN on current-gen is gonna be the same on Next-gen. Ignoring the fact that Steam & PSN on PS Vita are already better than XBL.

That has nothing to do with my statement

On the point of Steam, it's largely irrelevant.

I've already explained I don't believe they are in trouble. Microsoft's bread and butter is mostly North America and Europe, with the latter generating sales at a far slower pace.

Having a successful launch in the Asian markets is good, but not really a priority based upon that chart.

So install base suddenly doesn't matter now, only NA/Europe? Ridiculous. If Microsoft doesn't dominate the US and UK like they did with the 360, they're automatically in second place.

Sanjuro

So install base suddenly doesn't matter now, only NA/Europe? Ridiculous. If Microsoft doesn't dominate the US and UK like they did with the 360, they're automatically in second place.

I never said that I expected them to be in first place. I just don't believe they need to "dominate" to maintain a very competitive second.

Tapiozona

Banned

So? That only matters to silly fanboy wars. They can be third for all I care.

Also, if anyone is interested, ALL Target stores have limited stock for sale today to coincide with their Sunday ad. My two local stores each had 4 and another one a buddy went to had 12 (mine sold out, I was 2nd in line while the one with 12 only sold 3 before the doors opened). People in Pacific time still have a good shot of getting one if they hurry before 8am when they open.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I really, really don't see how anyone could call XBL superior right now. On par, sure.

The interface to do anything is a right mess, and features are basically at parity, if not skewed in Sony's favor with them supporting native built-in streaming from day one, and giving ridiculous value with PS+.

Really would love to know how XBL on Xbox one is superior, with all the talk about parties being extremely janky and navigating anything without voice takes 3/4 more additional steps compared to the 360.

Sanjuro

I really, really don't see how anyone could call XBL superior right now. On par, sure.

The interface to do anything is a right mess, and features are basically at parity, if not skewed in Sony's favor with them supporting native built-in streaming from day one, and giving ridiculous value with PS+.

Really would love to know how XBL on Xbox one is superior, with all the talk about parties being extremely janky and navigating anything without voice takes 3/4 more additional steps compared to the 360.

I'll chalk this up to the gaming community being super sensitive at the moment. I feel like every statement I make has jumped in several different directions.

I've not been able to use the Xbox One's variant, but I'm quite certain that I'm going to arrive at similar complaints that I have about the PS4's online from what people have told me.

As a service as a whole? I've had a greater experience with XBL over PSN by a large margin. That is always subject to change as this generation is largely starting from scratch from almost every perspective.

J-Rzez

Good for them, would be nice to know the spread of those consoles to where though. I know for a fact stores will have XB1's and PS4's on black friday, even though far more limited in supply in NA at least.

MS needs to win NA again to have a chance to be competitive like last gen. I think EU is going to turn into a bloodbath against them, Asian territories are a loss already as well most likely. MS needs to win multiple territories, while Sony's main battle to win will be NA.

All consoles produced will sell out over the next few months I believe. This last gen dragged on far too the hell long, and while many are dying for updated hardware (cellphones/tablets are making many ppl clamor for new tech every 2-3years now for example). But I also believe it impacted consoles overall losing some of their consumers to PC gaming.

Ps4 UI is superior right now

But considering that MS updated the 360 UI like a dozen times last gen it's not much to be concerned about. The voice control works almost flawlessly which is to be commended.

As far as PSN and XBL--getting into a pissing match about which services shit stinks worse is just a fanboy argument. Neither service makes a case for paywall multiplayer. PS+ as a free rental service is still leagues behind the PC's competitive digital distribution service where you can basically get a game for free for life whenever you bother looking for it.

Haven't gotten my hands on Xbox One Live yet (Thanks Amazon!), but from that Giant Bomb stream it seems like there are some serious day one issues. I'm not sure how they went developing it, ground up or a hybrid, but it seems they have some work to do as well.

My points on PS4 online is still pretty fair. I've made no invalid or outlandish claims, I just think that they have their work cut out for them. It's a great start contrasting my experience with them on prior hardware.

Sanjuro you just might be doing a bad job of explaining what your angle is here because I am having a really hard time following your logic.

What is subpar about the PS4 UI right now? It is completely clean and uncluttered with anything that hinders performance or time. If I want to jump into a party its immediate. Party chat works perfect, streaming works perfectly. Where is your issue?

I'm having a meltdown? What?

I fucked up my lower back and lying in bed responding to my quotes. Also, using my PS4. Xbot confirmed!

Back pain is the worst. Pulled muscle or tendon? You stretching it?

Sanjuro

Sanjuro you just might be doing a bad job of explaining what your angle is here because I am having a really hard time following your logic.

What is subpar about the PS4 UI right now? It is completely clean and uncluttered with anything that hinders performance or time. If I want to jump into a party its immediate. Party chat works perfect, streaming works perfectly. Where is your issue?

Back pain is the worst. Pulled muscle or tendon? You stretching it?
I think people are jumping on me a bit. I'm actively responding and clarifying as best I can. I think the PS4 online is great, I've already stated that! The party chat works fine as a whole, but it's still a bit silly that I can't join a party from Person B's profile when Person A created the chat.

I don't even know. I herniated a disc years ago, it always flairs up a couple times a year. This time however, it's pressing right on nerves in my left leg and absolutely killing me. Basically it's whiskey for me every night now.

Sanjuro

Now I've heard everything.

Yeah, I'm sorry.

I just don't compare Steam to any of the console based UI systems. It's kind of doing it's own thing. Again, even when the Steamboxes (or whatever) come out, it still will be doing it's own thing. I'll have a choice to use one or the other.

MS needs North America, but they don't need to be the outright leader in consoles sold.

Microsoft dumping money and resources into a 2nd place product that might be slightly profitable to them long term isn't something that is going to please shareholders who are already asking them to cut the division and refocus on their more important sources of income.

xaosslug

I'm having a meltdown? What?

I fucked up my lower back and lying in bed responding to my quotes. Also, using my PS4. Xbot confirmed!

sorry to hear about you back. I just clocked on the thread and saw a bunch of posts/replies to/by you talking about how PSN still sucks, PS4's UI sucks, etc. And how Steam doesn't matter. It just seems weird. LOL

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Regarding the subject of the sales figures, great news to see so many consoles being sold across the board. Launch day figures are the result of pent up desire and pre-orders, we don't know how well the systems are going to fare for the rest of the generation. But as it stands, Microsoft is losing ground in its priority region. Microsoft has bet a lot on NA, and much of the Xbox One's day one functionality is there specifically for the NA market. Microsoft has to find a way for the machine to gain more traction to establish the legitimacy of their focus on media functionality.

I'm not going to buy either console. I'll stick with PC and Steam where I can get ever-wvolving functionality without paying through the nose for it.

You know, I had a decent point for that last gen vs PC and current vs PC thread you made, and even something to talk about now. Seeing as how you really just want to shit on anything console related and constantly push how much better PCs are at every turn, why bother posting at all?

OT: Just by looking at the numbers chain wide, the retailer I work for stands at over 2:1 for PS4 in sales. Seems like 2:1-4:1 numbers across Canada are the norm for other retailers as well, as I've been told. It will be hard to measure sales when the XB1 isn't getting a breakdown, but their silence on NA sales might be enough.

Racer1977

MS don't need Xbox, full-stop, that's bigger problem for gamers.

Xbox is worthwhile for MS if it get's their services into the living room, making the One an all-in-one-box is at the heart of this. I seriously doubt MS is even interested in leading the videogame market, they want to dominate the home space, if they aren't, they may well oull back ad focus on their traditional markets.

Sanjuro

sorry to hear about you back. I just clocked on the thread and saw a bunch of posts/replies to/by you talking about how PSN still sucks, PS4's UI sucks, etc. And how Steam doesn't matter. It just seems weird. LOL

Never said PSN or PS4's UI still suck! Again, I think it's a great start for the PS4's UI. I do think it needs a bit more work and it's going to be an evolutionary project this generation. Last gen, it pretty much only evolved at the point where I wasn't using the console very much.

Steam doesn't matter when talking about PS4 and Xbox One's UI and paid services.

Microsoft dumping money and resources into a 2nd place product that might be slightly profitable to them long term isn't something that is going to please shareholders who are already asking them to cut the division and refocus on their more important sources of income.

That's Microsoft for you though. If they had their way, the console would be called Xbox Office 2014.

I just don't compare Steam to any of the console based UI systems. It's kind of doing it's own thing.

OK, but help me understand what you're saying. What is the difference between the following:

PS4UI.jpg

leehom

I find it difficult to believe they sold over a million to consumers. I was at Best Buy this morning and saw over 40 xbox day one editions in the customer service area. The general manager said it was for the pre-orders and they hold them for a week. Not only that, half my Targets near me have them in stock.

Top Bottom