• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sells one million+ (sell through to consumers) in all territories worldwide

Don't mistake me, though: The PS4 UI currently to me is not 'as good' as the Vita UI, not really close to me. The PS4 UI has PlayStation Live, and that is legit amazing, but to me that's the one thing it really has over Vita right now. Everything else is features, but the Vita as a well designed fast UI is unparalleled for most systems. It's extremely easy to use, extremely fast, everything is obvious and usually at a single fingers swipe away. It's just to me what I want. It's not intrusive, it's not excessively visual so that it slows things down or makes things cumbersome.

I really can't praise it enough. It works. PS4 UI still has a ways to go to get there,imo.

Will a controller interface ever be able to contest with a touch interface is probably the more important question?

Hell, when will voice interface be used well? Because people don't seem consistently satisfied with the Xbox.

The PS4 UI looks smooth to me, but I don't like the Vita bubbles, from a subjective angle

Amir0x

Banned
Will a controller interface ever be able to contest with a touch interface is probably the more important question?

Hell, when will voice interface be used well? Because people don't seem consistently satisfied with the Xbox.

The PS4 U

The voice interface I saw on Xbox One my friend using was a total disaster. I know some people say even if you factor in the times it doesn't recognize your voice it's 'faster', but I'd never be able to have the patience to see it, because I fucking hate when I am being held back by cumbersome nonsense that doesn't have to be.

If they had just designed the Ui intelligently for a controller, you could still have people who want to use the voice garbage satisfied but also have a UI that is easily navigable for everyone who doesn't want to deal with that tripe.

Instead, we have one of the least navigable UIs ever made for a controller, as far as I'm concerned. It's mediocre to the max. To me, this is actually one of the biggest things holding XBO back to me. It's a big concern. Coupled with that, Party Chat and Microtransactions-Gate and the Price, I'm actually rather happy I waited. In a year or two it'll be down in price and I can feel comfortable with it.

Sanjuro

Please explain to me why anyone should support this thing? I am being 100% sincere. The 360 was my favorite console ever, and I have been looking for someone to explain why anyone should want this thing since it was announced. All I see is an overpriced, underpowered box designed to sell you ads with basic functionality hidden behind a paywall. Why should anyone support this? Don't give me a one word answer, sell me a system.

I don't work for a company that sells consoles, so I don't have to sell you anything.

I don't see the logic in not supporting something due to a practice that almost every major company deploys while using digital services. Unless someone has the strong desire to leave the internet completely, then that is their prerogative.

The masses aren't even remotely coming into a store to purchase games with that mindset.

That being said, Titanfall is still the closest thing to a "system seller" that we will have for a while. The immediate future looks rather bleak for both consoles. What's the only other title? Is that Infamous game coming out March as well still?
In February.

Screen-Shot-2013-08-17-at-7.04.53-PM-620x400.png

CoG

I don't work for a company that sells consoles, so I don't have to sell you anything.

I don't see the logic in not supporting something due to a practice that almost every major company deploys while using digital services. Unless someone has the strong desire to leave the internet completely, then that is their prerogative.

Most of those products are subsidized by the ads. Microsoft wants to profit on the hardware, sell you a $60/year service, and then bombard you with ads and microtransactions. It's the most anti-consumer CE device on the market today, hands down.

CzarTim

Well, I personally think MS has gone too far, and I hope they turn things around. If that means rooting for a company to be humbled by bad sells numbers, so be it.

Also, this:
Most of those products are subsidized by the ads. Microsoft wants to profit on the hardware, sell you a $60/year service, and then bombard you with ads and microtransactions. It's the most anti-consumer CE device on the market today, hands down.

Sanjuro

I've used Xbox Live since the beta. I can honestly say it never bothered me during it's evolution. Besides digital games, I can count on on one hand the amount of adverts or additional content that drove me to make a purchase.

Which other companies lock subscription services behind a subscription?

That's a different topic. I don't really agree with it either, but it's never been a personal issue for me. I used the PS3 largely as a streaming only device.

The people saying Titanfall will change everything remind me of the people who said that about MGS4 with PS3 last gen. And then it was FF13. And then it was what ever savior was coming next.

But in the end we all learned a single game was never going to suddenly reverse sales trends or momentum. And I guess people are going to have to be taught these same lessons again.

Amir0x

Banned
The people saying Titanfall will change everything remind me of the people who said that about MGS4 with PS3 last gen. And then it was FF13. And then it was ever savior was coming next.

But in the end we all learned a single game was never going to suddenly reverse sales trends and momentum. And I guess people are going to have to taught these same lessons again.

The thing is as of this second Xbox One doesn't need saving like PS3 did. Xbox One just sold a million in 13 territories, that's pretty dang good.

I think the people jumping on the Titanfall bandwagon are pretty humorous on how easily they fell into very extensively planned marketing hype, and I think it will sell decent, but I am going to be very amused when we see the sales charts. Probably not for the reasons these people expected. But in the end, it doesn't appear XBO needs saving anyway. We'll have to see how things stand in 6 months.

harSon

Banned
The masses aren't even remotely coming into a store to purchase games with that mindset.

That being said, Titanfall is still the closest thing to a "system seller" that we will have for a while. The immediate future looks rather bleak for both consoles. What's the only other title? Is that Infamous game coming out March as well still?

I'm content. Between Battlefield 4, Forza Motorsport 5, Madden and Killer Instinct, I think I'll be fine until more games start to hit. The Playstation 4 is a different matter though. I'm not a fan of Killzone and I was forced to get multiplatform games on the XB1 due to it ultimately being where my friends are. Resogun can only lasts me so long :( Infamous looks so fucking good though.

Shouldn't Project Spark hit sometime early next year as well? That's one of my most hyped games.

What do you mean by this?

This "Wait for Titanfall" thing that's going around is pretty crazy. One online only FPS that's on 3 platforms is somehow going to become a big system seller for the Xbox One?

This one game is going to be out around the same time or after inFamous, MLB The Show, Planetside 2, War Thunder, Everquest Next, FF14, and Driveclub.

I don't think they should be betting it all on Titanfall unless they gave them enough money to make it Xbox One only.

But really, look at those games. Are any of them actually system sellers? Final Fantasy, sure. inFamous and the Show maybe. But outside that? Not really.

TitanFall is going to be a system seller. It's what I'm waiting for and I know several others that are doing the same. Obviously that does not speak for everybody in the U.S./rest of the world, but it seems to me that it is certainly going to help sales quite a bit once it comes out.

Zornack

That's a different topic. I don't really agree with it either, but it's never been a personal issue for me. I used the PS3 largely as a streaming only device.

Oops, my bad. I thought that was what you referring to as the practice other companies employ. What practice were you talking about? The ads?

CzarTim

I've used Xbox Live since the beta. I can honestly say it never bothered me during it's evolution. Besides digital games, I can count on on one hand the amount of adverts or additional content that drove me to make a purchase.

That's not how advertising works, and you are moving the goalposts from my initial post.

I feel the need to repost this:

No insult, no finger-pointing intended in the following.

Pharmaceutical company companies extensively research physicians' hobbies and personal interests, send attractive spokespeople to "inform" said physicians about their products over three-star michelin meals and golf games. Without exception, these physicians insist that they are immune to unethical influence.

Corporations like Coca Cola spend $10 billion a year or more on advertising campaigns with messages that college undergrads -- here I'm speaking from experience as a former instructor -- unfailingly insist they're uniquely insusceptible to.

Either these corporations are somehow recklessly burning revenue by the billions and somehow raking in unprecedented profit despite the sheer stupidity of their business practices or people are prone to maintain flattering though entirely unrealistic images of themselves. Unfortunately for us, replicated psychology experiments point to pervasive self-deception. Fortunately for us, while it's practically impossible for us to accurately monitor our own self-interest, we're marvelous at pointing it out in others. And this is the why the appearance of impropriety matters so much.

Tomes of research on the topic are out there and anyone remotely interested in cognition will encounter the experiments again and again. For those unfamiliar with it I recommend starting here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006IYFCIM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The people saying Titanfall will change everything remind me of the people who said that about MGS4 with PS3 last gen. And then it was FF13. And then it was what ever savior was coming next.

But in the end we all learned a single game was never going to suddenly reverse sales trends or momentum. And I guess people are going to have to be taught these same lessons again.

Not to mention that it'll be on PC and 360. If you want to play Titanfall, there's a fairly good chance you can do it without spending $560.

Sanjuro

I'm content. Between Battlefield 4, Forza Motorsport 5, Madden and Killer Instinct, I think I'll be fine until more games start to hit. The Playstation 4 is a different matter though. I'm not a fan of Killzone and I was forced to get multiplatform games on the XB1 due to it ultimately being where my friends are. Resogun can only lasts me so long :( Infamous looks so fucking good though.

Shouldn't Project Spark hit sometime early next year as well? That's one of my most hyped games.

I almost traded in Killzone the other day. Luckily Best Buy is still giving $40 for it. So I can price match Walmart's $49 games and get something else cheap!

Killzone isn't the worst, but just not something I'm interested in playing. I'm going to give it another go, but I really just want to play Forza, Dead Rising, and Killer Instinct.

Resogun is the real deal though. It's like Pac-Man CE was for me on the 360.

Oops, my bad. I thought that was what you referring to as the practice other companies employ. What practice were you talking about? The ads?

Yeah, the adverts. They really don't bother me unless they are actively forcing me to sit there and view them without giving me an ounce of control.

harSon

Banned

Xbox One is Playstation 3 now Lol?

Sanjuro

You're being disingenuous. I only read the tail end of the this argument and it's pretty clear what he means.

I'm not. From what I can gather, his initial argument was the intrusion of adverts being implemented for a paid service, which he compared to several others. That by purchasing an Xbox One, we are are ruining the industry.

jaaz

I find it amazing how many people have already crowned Titanfall with a franchise-tag, system seller status and even GOTY. It is a new IP, completely unproven, that few have played. What, based on gameplay videos? It may turn out to be great, but even then, it's just another FPS that will be available on 360 and the PC. It may turn out to be crap too. We just don't know.

To say you're waiting for this game just to buy an Xbone doesn't say a lot for the Xbone right now.

Amir0x

Banned
I find it amazing how many people have already crowned Titanfall with a franchise-tag, system seller status and even GOTY. It is a new IP, completely unproven, that few have played. What, based on gameplay videos? It may turn out to be great, but even then, it's just another FPS that will be available on 360 and the PC. It may turn out to be crap too. We just don't know.

I made this argument before - this is one of the first New IPs I've ever heard in the gaming industry that fans and marketing people alike are just automatically assuming will do well. To me, this is the one true masterful success of Microsoft's marketing to date - that they have sold Titanfall, a FPS that simply brings back speed and agility, as the next kingmaker. It doesn't make sense to me, but we'll have to wait and see.

Sanjuro

I made this argument before - this is one of the first New IPs I've ever heard in the gaming industry that fans and marketing people alike are just automatically assuming will do well. To me, this is the one true masterful success of Microsoft's marketing to date - that they have sold Titanfall, a FPS that simply brings back speed and agility, as the next kingmaker. It doesn't make sense to me, but we'll have to wait and see.

I think it's the most potential out of any of the arriving content, but yeah. It's far from a guarantee. I've felt the same way as you though on it. The only footage I've seen from the game was on the small television during that Xbox One Launch show on SpikeTV.

CzarTim

I'm not. From what I can gather, his initial argument was the intrusion of adverts being implemented for a paid service, which he compared to several others. That by purchasing an Xbox One, we are are ruining the industry.

I said hurting the industry, not ruining it. The ads were not about Gold, but the fact that most products that generate revenue from ads subsidizes the price to account for this (Kindle being a prime example.) Yet X1 is the most expensive console. I also listed the fact that there is a media streaming device almost half the price of one year of Gold that doesn't require a further subscription, but you said it was a different topic from my original post when it was not. So, yeah. Goalposts.

I bring this up specifically because any one of the Xbox's many problems could easily be explained away. It's important that we keep the context that it's the sum of these problems that makes the device so unappealing. I want the Xbox One to do well, I just don't want this Xbox One to do well. I want MS to realize they went too far, and turn things around. Poor sales are the only way this happens. Gamers with money to spare are going to get everything "for the games," and I understand that. I used to be that way. But I think we should take a step back here and ask ourselves if this is the direction we want consoles to go. Is this really good for games?

Bsigg12

No doubt that's all true, but I would like to add Titanfall has sold itself. Microsoft is pushing it for obvious reasons but even if they weren't, the game would still get outrageous amounts of hype because of those who have had a chance to play it. Microsoft managed to hit gold with this deal. Regardless that it's coming out on the 360 and PC, this game will move Xbox Ones in March.

Fair play to Microsoft for coming out of that PR disaster with some decent numbers. I wonder how the sales will be during the new year games drought..

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Gears of War did the exact same thing last gen for MS.

Not that they were doing poorly prior to Gears... but that is *the* game that made the 360 as ubiquitous a system as it was.

There were other factors (price, a pretty bad PS3 launch, etc) that led to that.. but Gears was massive.

Barzul

Titanfall will be huge because I have not read anything negative about it. Given the number of people playing it shows and the amount of time people have with it, you'd think you'd see something negative about it, but nope. People were waiting hours to play the game for minutes. Sign of a good game. Everyone is waiting for a reason to jump into next-gen, Titanfall is a very good reason. Also if you watched the Xbox One midnight party thing, the game that was brought up whenever people were asked what game you're looking forward to the most, it wasn't Halo, it was Titanfall. That's how deep the hype has permeated.

abracadaver

There were other factors (price, a pretty bad PS3 launch, etc) that led to that.. but Gears was massive.

Gears had amazing graphics, a good singleplayer campaign and coop.

Titanfall is multiplayer only and looks average. It probably wont even run in 1080p

There are millions of people that buy call of duty every year just for the campaign.

I dont see titanfall being a system seller at all. It will get a lot of sales because of the marketing but it wont be the next gears or call of duty.

Deuterium

I thought the gaming press, who have actually previewed and played a small section of the game, have been pretty much universally enthusiastic and excited about the game's potential. If this is some master stroke by Microsoft marketing...then bully for them.

Bsigg12

Who knows of Titanfall will have that big of a difference between the next gen version and 360 version though.

The fact that we have yet to see any of the 360 version and Respawn isn't actually doing the 360 version, I'm going to take a guess and say it'll be absolute shit compared to the Xbox One and PC versions.

RetroStu

Banned
People keep going on about the Xbox One designed to blast you with ads but i watched DSP's launch stream and i'm certain there was an option in the console settings to recieve NO ads at all, there was definately something like that because DSP chose it.
Its just more stealth concern like all the 'Kinect is spying on you' crap that people spout even though there is a clear option to turn off Kinect in the Kinect settings.

The fact that we have yet to see any of the 360 version and Respawn isn't actually doing the 360 version, I'm going to take a guess and say it'll be absolute shit compared to the Xbox One and PC versions.
It's possible, but with such a big install base I think Respawn will make sure whoever they are helping won't drop a dud on the last gen consoles for such an anticipated game.
People keep going on about the Xbox One designed to blast you with ads but i watched DSP's launch stream and i'm certain there was an option in the console settings to recieve NO ads at all, there was definately something like that because DSP chose it.
Its just more stealth concern like all the 'Kinect is spying on you' crap that people spout even though there is a clear option to turn off Kinect in the Kinect settings.
Does choosing that setting remove recommendations and other ads on the homescreen, or is that for emails to your account?

Bgamer90

Banned
Who knows of Titanfall will have that big of a difference between the next gen version and 360 version though.

Exactly -- the fact that there really hasn't been anything about it shows that it must not be a good port but we'll see.

So far, it reminds me of watchdogs in terms of this.

RetroStu

Banned
It.Does choosing that setting remove recommendations and other ads on the homescreen, or is that for emails to your account?

From what i remember there was different options for what kind of stuff you recieve but i'm 100% certain there was also an option to recieve no ads or anything.

Mister D

People spent $400+ to play Fight Night 3 -- a multiplatform game.

The difference here is that Fight Night 3 looked so much damn better than the Fight Night games available on Xbox and PS2. From what I've seen of Titanfall it doesn't look that much better than a Xbox 360 or PS3 game. So unless the 360 version is just completely trash which would negatively affect Respawn since it's their new IP which will most likely sell the most of 360, I doubt the difference is going to get people with 360s who weren't already looking to buy Xbones to upgrade. Also, with the rumor that it will probably also be 720P that's another hit to the difference of the current gen version compared to the next gen one. It's not like it will have a huge player count, destruction, or a large number of vehicles outside of the mechs like PS4/Xbone version of BF4 have over their last gen versions.

I've heard people say BF4 on PS4 and Xbone isn't a reason to upgrade as they can play the current gen version which has terrible graphics compared to next gen, severely reduced player count, and runs at 30fps compared to 60fps on next gen. This is people on GAF saying this, where people are a little more invested in gaming. So what's to convince Joe 6 Pack that he needs to drop over $600 to play Titanfall on Xbone when they already have a 360 when it's commonly thrown around as fact that these people don't care about graphics or resolution and can't notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Sure the game will sell some consoles, but I doubt the effect will be as high as MS and some folks hope it will be and I doubt it will be as big as the amount of folks who bought FN3 on Xbox 360 compared to the OG Xbox version since their most likely won't be that huge jump from 480p to 720p like with Fight Night, especially if Titanfall ends up being 720p on both 360 and Xbone.

Bsigg12

It's possible, but with such a big install base I think Respawn will make sure whoever they are helping won't drop a dud on the last gen consoles for such an anticipated game.

I mean I'm sure it'll be competent but it'll be lacking in the a lot of areas if they are shooting for 60fps for the 360 version. I'm sorta excited just to see what it looks like to see where they had to make cuts to make the game run the way they want it to.

Ooh we should actually get some indication of UK XBone sales tomorrow from Chart Track/MCV.

Will be real interesting to see where it stands as far as launches go.

Bgamer90

Banned
Overall, it's just mind blowing to me that people are saying that Titanfall won't sell Xbox Ones. The only thing that would stop it from not doing it at this point are bad reviews across the board.

*There's a ton of hype for it from the gaming press -- the game swept next gen expo awards.

*I'm expecting MS to have major ads for it that only mention the Xbox One Console -- possibly even one during the Super Bowl due to their NFL partnership (who knows).

*Word of mouth seems to be good already; should only increase these next few months.

If Titanfall isn't on track to becoming a system seller then no (true) Xbox One or PS4 exclusive is either.

Overall, it's just mind blowing to me that people are saying that Titanfall won't sell Xbox Ones. The only thing that would stop it from not doing it at this point are bad reviews across the board.

*There's a ton of hype for it from the gaming press -- the game swept next gen expo awards.

*I'm expecting MS to have major ads for it that only mention the Xbox One Console -- possibly even one during the Super Bowl due to their NFL partnership (who knows).

*Word of mouth seems to be good already; should only increase these next few months.

If Titanfall isn't on track to becoming a system seller then no (true) Xbox One or PS4 exclusive is either.

It's because people want MS to fail so their answers are going to be deluded, I think titanfall has a pretty positive outlook , yeah it's coming out for PC too and thats great but people will by it buy it by the shit ton for console - every person in my line for midnight sale ps4/x1 said they wanted titanfall it was pretty crazy

I should clarify most people in the ps4 line said they will get the xbox one when titanfall comes out

ILoveBish

Placing all your hopes on a single game is setting yourself up for disaster. We've seen this many times, and you don't even need a xbone to play Titanfall, its available on pc with free online multiplayer, and also on xbox 360. To get it on xbone, you need the system (500+ tax), the game (60+tax) and Xbox Live Gold (60 bucks). Thats 620 + fees just to play titanfall.

It is a hard sell. I'm sure the game will be terrific, but its a online only full price game. I do not have high hopes for it setting the world on fire sales wise, not only due to the online only nature, but the platforms it is associated with.

Top Bottom