• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sells one million+ (sell through to consumers) in all territories worldwide

badb0y

Overall, it's just mind blowing to me that people are saying that Titanfall won't sell Xbox Ones. The only thing that would stop it from not doing it at this point are bad reviews across the board.

*There's a ton of hype for it from the gaming press -- the game swept next gen expo awards.

*I'm expecting MS to have major ads for it that only mention the Xbox One Console -- possibly even one during the Super Bowl due to their NFL partnership (who knows).

*Word of mouth seems to be good already; should only increase these next few months.

If Titanfall isn't on track to becoming a system seller then no (true) Xbox One or PS4 exclusive is either.
We'll have to wait and see. I personally think it will sell systems but not as much as it would if it was a true exclusive to the the Xbox One. I think Halo 5 will sell way more Xbox One systems than Titanfall.

We'll have to wait and see. I personally think it will sell systems but not as much as it would if it was a true exclusive to the the Xbox One. I think Halo 5 will sell way more Xbox One systems than Titanfall.

your probably right but that is a lethal combination Halo/Titanfall it makes it desirable for those guys who love those type of games to pick up the system

Oh yeah! That will be interesting.

I honestly don't know what we'll see. I'm sure the UK got a good chunk of the European shipments but if ~700k went to the US then we might only be looking at ~100k or 150k tops perhaps. I'm not sure if it can beat the PS3 home console record though I'm sure MS might have aimed to try if they were able to get that many here.

Bgamer90

Banned
Placing all your hopes on a single game is setting yourself up for disaster. We've seen this many times, and you don't even need a xbone to play Titanfall, its available on pc with free online multiplayer, and also on xbox 360. To get it on xbone, you need the system (500+ tax), the game (60+tax) and Xbox Live Gold (60 bucks). Thats 620 + fees just to play titanfall.

It's not the only game. There are more games coming out to the Xbox One in 2014 that are potential system sellers.

Just because a game isn't exclusive doesn't mean that it can't sell a particular system. Heck, the majority of top 10 game sales are usually filled multiplats (with multiple console versions being listed -- sometimes even cross gen).

It is a hard sell. I'm sure the game will be terrific, but its a online only full price game. I do not have high hopes for it setting the world on fire sales wise, not only due to the online only nature, but the platforms it is associated with.

We are just going to have to wait and see. All I know is that I'm positive MS will have some huge ads for it. They have the money.

I think you are right since Halo 5 will be a true exclusive and I'm also expecting the Xbox One to be $400 by Xmas 2014.

Who buys Call of duty for the Campaign and offline play?
Titanfall isn't 2 games deep yet, stop being absurd.

Not everyone wants to dive into a brand new series with no proxy to learn and adapt through while mastering the basic controls..

call of duty modern warfares single player campaign was glorious for so many reasons, one of which was its effectiveness as a gateway drug to competitive online.

entremet

Can't believe people are doubting the MS marketing machine after Kinect 1.0, which was garbage, yet sold like gangbusters.

KMS

Placing all your hopes on a single game is setting yourself up for disaster. We've seen this many times, and you don't even need a xbone to play Titanfall, its available on pc with free online multiplayer, and also on xbox 360. To get it on xbone, you need the system (500+ tax), the game (60+tax) and Xbox Live Gold (60 bucks). Thats 620 + fees just to play titanfall.

It is a hard sell. I'm sure the game will be terrific, but its a online only full price game. I do not have high hopes for it setting the world on fire sales wise, not only due to the online only nature, but the platforms it is associated with.

Your post made me think of this.

Pain

Banned
Overall, it's just mind blowing to me that people are saying that Titanfall won't sell Xbox Ones. The only thing that would stop it from not doing it at this point are bad reviews across the board.

*There's a ton of hype for it from the gaming press -- the game swept next gen expo awards.

*I'm expecting MS to have major ads for it that only mention the Xbox One Console -- possibly even one during the Super Bowl due to their NFL partnership (who knows).

*Word of mouth seems to be good already; should only increase these next few months.

If Titanfall isn't on track to becoming a system seller then no (true) Xbox One or PS4 exclusive is either.
It will sell systems but nowhere near as many as Call Of Duty. It's a new, unproven IP. Maybe people don't want Call of Duty with mechs? Maybe they'd rather play COD.

My point is that there is too much faith being placed on Titanfall to be Microsofts trump card. By the time Titanfall becomes a true system seller, it'll be a multiplatform franchise.

Casuals won't buy an XB1 for Titanfall. They'll get it on their 360. The hardcore will have already gotten an Xbox One by the time Titanfall comes out. Titanfall may already be selling systems.

Barzul

Infamous will be as good a system seller as Titanfall. Gran Turismo 7 and the next Uncharted will be better.

Infamous is not close to Titanfall in system selling ability at all imo, still not a big enough franchise. It has nowhere near the hype that Titanfall is receiving. GT7 and Uncharted would be on par.

Good on the sales figures. I want MS to be successful enough to keep Sony from getting lackadaisical again, and vice versa. When they are fighting it out I win because things continually get better in attempts to get my business. 50/50 split would be ideal in my world.

Good on the sales figures. I want MS to be successful enough to keep Sony from getting lackadaisical again, and vice versa. When they are fighting it out I win because things continually get better in attempts to get my business. 50/50 split would be ideal in my world.

How are they getting better? Two generations ago online was free, two generations later both Microsoft and Sony are charging for it. Sadly competition is not working as intended in the console market because the competition is between locked down platforms.

CoG

I only hope Titanfall flops so I can title my book: "Titan Fall: How Microsoft Had the Console Market and Blew It"

jaaz

Infamous is not close to Titanfall in system selling ability at all imo, still not a big enough franchise. It has nowhere near the hype that Titanfall is receiving. GT7 and Uncharted would be on par.

Yet Titanfall, an unreleased game, is a bigger franchise and system seller? I think actually being released and selling a ton of copies is a prerequisite to franchise-tag status don't you think? Hype alone will bite you in the ass.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm sure Titanfall will sell some xboxes, but realistically so will the next Halo and I suspect there'll be a significant crossover appeal between the two IP's.

So objectively, how impactful is it really going to be when its simply addressing the same demographic that MS already has covered exclusive-wise with Halo?

Its not opening up a new market, its simply supplementing one where Xbox has always been strong traditionally.

I don't know. For me personally it's a system seller since it's the one game that will probably get me to pick up an Xbox One before a price drop. I mean, the game has gotten good impressions from the people who have played it and it sounds like they are doing interesting stuff with bots and the post-game extraction mechanic.

As far as the other points, sure you can get it on 360. For me personally having another developer behind it and zero information about that version doesn't instill confidence. Just anecdotally, I watched both console launch events on Spike and when they asked people standing in line what game they were most excited for, a lot of them said Ghosts - a game that, by all accounts, at least graphically, looks like meh and has gotten meh reviews and impressions. There's also been plenty of posts here where people show what launch games they got and a lot of them have Ghosts. I think a lot of people are ready to buy new consoles and the early adopters are the ones that will likely buy Titan Fall. Sure, there are going to be people that don't jump into next-gen right away, but I don't think people will actively not buy a One just because they can get Titan Fall on 360.

As far as PC, I have two problems. One my PC is getting old and I doubt it would be able to play it at a steady frame rate. Secondly, I'm not a mouse and keyboard guy. It will probably have controller support, but I would get destroyed by people playing with mouse and keyboard. I'd much rather play it with my one friend, who I at least know got a One.

Overall, I think PC might be where it makes the least impact sales-wise. I haven't checked the Steam player stats, but most people on Steam play TF2 regularly. I don't even think the CoD games get anywhere close to the concurrent number of players on Live and PSN.

onQ123

Is this true?

Xbox One “Sold Out at Most Retailers” But There Are Still Plenty Right in the Heart of New York, Including Day One Editions

Not even 24 hours after the North American launch of the Xbox One Microsoft sent a press release stating that “Xbox One is now sold out at most retailers,” but that statement must not have included Toys”R”Us or Best Buy.
Just a walk across Times Square from the location of one of the console’s big launch events to the local Toys”R”Us store, which happens to be the biggest store of the retail chain in the world, and also a very well known shopping outlet, would have confirmed that there are still plenty Xboxes to be had, as discovered by our valiant reporter Al Zamora, that went on reconnaissance today.
Talking with a store employee at the Time Square Toys”R”Us store we a learned that they have “easily a few hundred” units left. You can check a couple pictures below.
XboxOneToysRUs
XboxOneToysRUs (2)

separator
But we discovered something even more surprising by walking two avenues further, to the Midtown Manhattan Best Buy store in 5th avenue. There we were told that there are still “a lot” of units left for sale. This doesn’t mean that the Xbox Didn’t sell well, though, as the store was allocated 1500 units, and they have more stored in a truck.
The surprising part? When Al walked to the gaming aisle he was greeted by the sight of several rows of the sleek black-boxed Day One edition Xbox One units, as you can see below.
XboxOneDayOne
XboxOneDayOne (2)

separator
On the other hand, both stores reported having no PS4 units available for sale at all (even if they may be covertly stockpiling for Black Friday like Walmart is doing), but it’s hard to make a direct comparison, as the Best Buy clerk told us that they received less PS4 units than Xbox One boxes.
That said, if you live in New York and want an Xbox One right away, now you know where to go, especially if you don’t care much for green and want one of those lovely black Day One editions. You don’t even need to hurry too much, as there’s plenty left.
XboxOneDayOne.jpg

XboxOneToysRUs-2.jpg

XboxOneToysRUs.jpg

Can't believe people are doubting the MS marketing machine after Kinect 1.0, which was garbage, yet sold like gangbusters.

MS marketing isn't helping Surface.

Kinect 1 was garbage but it was still an idea people could really get behind, it was like an evolution of what people loved about the Wii. I'm not saying it will or won't be successful, but the Xbox One hasn't really got that Kinect/Wii level appeal to it - I don't think the TV stuff and an improved Kinect is enough. Marketing won't be enough to make the console a success, at least not long-term.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's a new game in the post-launch drought of a brand new console. Every new game has a chance of selling a fair few consoles in those circumstances. But I think what some people aren't so sure about is how much of a kingmaker it is for MS and the XBO.

avaya

An online only, underwhelming graphically old source engine, sci-fi/mech shooter which is available cross-gen and on on PC is being hyped up as the second coming of the messiah because some people need hopes and dreams to hold onto. A Bone + Live + game price is the cost of entry. Good luck with that.

Basically MS released their shit on the assumption they'd sell out 90% of the initial shipment. Which is near enough for them. Euroland numbers will be interesting....UK report on Monday.

Raist

Banned

While I can see titanfall being potentially an Uncharted/Gears/GoW type of IP, sales wise, lumping any of these together with GT is hilarious.

edit: holy shit these pics. It'd be hilarious if they completely made up that figure. They really can't stop following PS3's path.

gatti-man

Gears of War, it's all that needs to be said. IF titanfall is as hot as Gears 1 was MS will sell plenty of consoles.

Prine

Banned
MS will turn Titan fall into this gen Gears, it's going to be huge, anyone that can't see that are deluding themselves. They did it with Halo, Gears now it'll be titan fall.

Edit : beaten

I just went to Bestbuy and they still had them. The Microsoft rep was spreading crap about how games, COD, looks better on the Xbox One. Looks like they got new PS4's, most people seem to be picking those up even with the Microsoft rep there. They sold 2 PS4's while I was in the checkout line. So if you want a PS4 now's the time.

I also went to Target where they had what looks like 8 Xbox Ones, the rep said people were returning them still in the box. I'm guessing he was referring to scalpers.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I just went to Bestbuy and they still had them. The Microsoft rep was spreading crap about how games COD looks better on the Xbox One. Looks like they got new PS4's, most people seem to be picking those up even with the Microsoft rep there. They sold 2 PS4's while I was in the checkout line.

I also went to Target where they had what looks like 8 Xbox Ones, the rep said people were returning them still in the box. I'm guessing he was referring to scalpers.

My Best Buy had neither console in stock but the employee there that I was talking to did say that so far they've had no Xbox One returns but they did have PS4 returns.

Xbox one is an awesome system. Glad MS matched Sony's production/shipments. Its good news for everyone who enjoys console gaming.

Those who are arguing about the voice control's it's a matter of personal preference.

As for me I use the universal remote functions like mute and volume non stop. Its great unless there is multiple people in the room with me. It's like Kinect 1 in that you have to know their key words.

My Best Buy had neither console in stock but the employee there that I was talking to did say that so far they've had no Xbox One returns but they did have PS4 returns.

I didn't ask about returns... I just said wow you have a lot of Xbox Ones, I read they were sold out.

It's not the only game. There are more games coming out to the Xbox One in 2014 that are potential system sellers.

Just because a game isn't exclusive doesn't mean that it can't sell a particular system. Heck, the majority of top 10 game sales are usually filled multiplats (with multiple console versions being listed -- sometimes even cross gen). .

Well, from what everyone talks about one would think Titanfall is the only game the X1 has, it's the only I ever hear about at least. As for that second point, you're right, top 10 sales are usually multiplats which, coincidentally, are likely to run better on Ps4. So again, why would someone buy the machine where most of their games will run worse (and which is more expensive)?

It worked for the 360 because a lot of multiplats looked like crap on PS3, that isn't the case this time around the roles are reversed. What's even worse, Xbox can't stand on it's own since it's exclusive library is incredibly weak.

Chobel

I think it depends in how bad is the X360 version, If it was good enough most people won't bother to upgrade to Xbox One.

Titanfall isn't going to make the system $100 cheaper. I'm sure it will sell well - it will probably have a good attach rate and may provide some [limited] boost to hardware sales upon release. But I don't really see why people are putting so much stock in a single title.

The system selling software of these systems are the multiplatform titles and both systems have the weight of the collective third party industry behind them.
Why would you want that. Surely sales parity is better for the consumer?
No. That's not how competition works.
No, it's not. I don't understand where this is coming from.

Competitive platforms are good for the consumer. Sales parity is completely irrelevant to the consumer. In fact, if one platform lags behind the other, it is because the consumer has decided that one platform is not actually good for them. That is how it works. The dog wags the tail.

This "competition is good" thing has grown completely into a monster. Competition is the means by which a lessor is weeded out. If a platform is weaker, it should lose. That is competition. This whole "parity is good for the consumer"/"two platforms selling well is good for the consumer" sentiment is bizarre.

What you are espousing is not capitalism or competition but instead crony capitalism in which market competitors are propped up for the sake of having market competitors.
<3

Anth0ny

Competitive platforms are good for the consumer. Sales parity is completely irrelevant to the consumer. In fact, if one platform lags behind the other, it is because the consumer has decided that one platform is not actually good for them. That is how it works. The dog wags the tail.

This "competition is good" thing has grown completely into a monster. Competition is the means by which a lessor is weeded out. If a platform is weaker, it should lose. That is competition. This whole "parity is good for the consumer"/"two platforms selling well is good for the consumer" sentiment is bizarre.

What you are espousing is not capitalism or competition but instead crony capitalism in which market competitors are propped up for the sake of having market competitors.

I think the belief is if you are completely destroying the competition, you start coasting, take less risks, etc.

Didn't seem to hurt the PS2, though.

MS will turn Titan fall into this gen Gears, it's going to be huge, anyone that can't see that are deluding themselves. They did it with Halo, Gears now it'll be titan fall.

Edit : beaten

Why was gears of war hot in the first place? Do you even remember what systems it released on when it released on that fateful day?

Be serious, they aren't anywhere near equivalent, its wishful thinking on an absurd level.

Pain

Banned

This.

The only reason to want both consoles to be sales successes is if you bought both of them. If you only bought a PS4/XB1, why should you care if the Xbox One/PS4 flops? Those gamers won't go away, they'll move on to the non-dead system.

No, I don't think the Xbox One is going to flop.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the belief is if you are completely destroying the competition, you start coasting, take less risks, etc.

Unquestionably, competitors actually competing usually results in benefits for people purchasing. But let us put the horse before the cart: competition picks winners and losers first and foremost. And, if I can steal a line from PopGAF, you will deal. The royal you, of course.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I didn't ask about returns... I just said wow you have a lot of Xbox Ones, I read they were sold out.

I didn't either. He just kinda mentioned it. He did say he expected both systems to be unavailable until after Christmas, but I somehow doubt they won't have any on Black Friday.

Iacobellis

No, that doesn't make sense. Look at NES compared to SNES. Nintendo was fine. Look at PS1 to PS2. Sony was fine.

Having a major competitive advantage doesn't change the way your company works, greed does.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Xbox one is an awesome system. Glad MS matched Sony's production/shipments. Its good news for everyone who enjoys console gaming.

Those who are arguing about the voice control's it's a matter of personal preference.

As for me I use the universal remote functions like mute and volume non stop. Its great unless there is multiple people in the room with me. It's like Kinect 1 in that you have to know their key words.

Harmony should make a voice recognising universal remote

szaromir

Banned

Look what happened last gen though. Sony lost focus and MS and Nintendo both came up with successful strategies that let them take marketshare away from Sony. At the moment Nintendo and MS are somewhat struggling, but even without them there is an alternative to PS4 (namely PC gaming). Basically there's always going to be enough competitors in the industry for the gamer not too worry that one of the competitors has become too weak, but simply worry about what's currently the best option for him.

Bgamer90

Banned
Well, from what everyone talks about one would think Titanfall is the only game the X1 has, it's the only I ever hear about at least. As for that second point, you're right, top 10 sales are usually multiplats which, coincidentally, are likely to run better on Ps4. So again, why would someone buy the machine where most of their games will run worse (and which is more expensive)?

Why did people buy a PS2 after the Gamecube launched even though the Gamecube was $100 less and had better looking multiplats?

Could it have been exclusive games and system features?

No! That can't be it!

It worked for the 360 because a lot of multiplats looked like crap on PS3, that isn't the case this time around the roles are reversed. What's even worse, Xbox can't stand on it's own since it's exclusive library is incredibly weak.

Copy and paste what I said in another thread...

I find the overall view that one console having better looking multiplats automatically causes the competing console to be an "automatic flop" pretty funny -- especially when people use it when discussing the PS4.

And I say that because that line of thinking completely goes against the success of the past three Playstation consoles and therefore makes it ironic when people use it when talking about the PS4. Why was the Playstation brand huge these past almost two decades when the brand as a whole had worse looking multiplats for more than 17 years? It's because the brand had/has a ton of unique gaming content that went along side those (worse looking) multiplats.

Overall, the gaming content and features that both consoles have that won't be on the competitor console is going to matter the most. The Xbox 360 did have better looking multiplats but the majority of people bought multiplats on the Xbox 360 due to system features like Xbox Live -- not because the multipats looked better vs. the PS3.

When it comes to graphics, as long as a new console is a big step up from an (old) current gen console, most will be happy.

Bgamer90

Banned
This.

The only reason to want both consoles to be sales successes is if you bought both of them. If you only bought a PS4/XB1, why should you care if the Xbox One/PS4 flops? Those gamers won't go away, they'll move on to the non-dead system.

What kind of console war line of thinking is this?

So it was wrong for me to want to see Xbox Live grow back during the first half of the previous decade so that online console gaming became more popular/better? Even though I primarily played on my PS2?

Okay.

dem

I was Christmas shopping this weekend and I checked every store I went to out of curiosity. I didn't see one Xbox One or PS4 for sale.

Also.. why the heck is Knack a demo game? Talk about underwhelming. Maybe it was the TV.. but it looked mediocre for a last gen game.

Top Bottom