• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox One smashes sales records" (Australia), more than double Wii launch

Bundy

Banned
They have not even sold out their original shipment. You can pretty much walk into any EB Games or use their online shop as I linked above to get an Xbone if you want. This was true for the first 3 days and still is true now.

Same here in germany.
I took this picture on saturday (2 days ago).
Went into two different shops.
No PS4 (all sold). Xbones were lying around.
Customers asked about the PS4.
(New shipment around the 13th-16th Dec.)

uau8.jpg

Chobel

So Microsoft is doing what they want to do? They said it themselves like 3 months ago, they DONT WANT Xbox One to be sold out everyone, they WANT people to be able to walk into the store and just pick it up. Sony stated this as well, except Sony is failing with this. Its not a matter of having no demand or anything, its just everyone who WANTS an Xbox One already bought one, now they're leaving stock for impulse buys and Holiday Shoppers.

Funny how Microsoft is managing to send enough stock to cover this, cause, you know, yield issues. ;)

Again, this is what Microsoft wants. I already have two friends that bought the Xbox One over the PS4 because of how much easier it is to buy the Xbox One over the PS4, while at BestBuy yesterday I saw an old lady with her daughter (who was in her 40s) ask for a PS4 or Xbox One, and got the Xbox One after they said PS4 is out of stock. Microsoft is succeeding as far as they're concerned.

I wish I had your optimism.

Replicant

So Microsoft is doing what they want to do? They said it themselves like 3 months ago, they DONT WANT Xbox One to be sold out everyone, they WANT people to be able to walk into the store and just pick it up. Sony stated this as well, except Sony is failing with this. Its not a matter of having no demand or anything, its just everyone who WANTS an Xbox One already bought one, now they're leaving stock for impulse buys and Holiday Shoppers.

Funny how Microsoft is managing to send enough stock to cover this, cause, you know, yield issues. ;)

LOL @ not wanting their console to be sold out. Those stocks are not left behind because MS want to leave some for impulse buyers and holiday shoppers. Their console is just not selling much. There was never at one point where the console got sold out and then got refilled. It was *always* available because there's little to no interest in it. If holiday shoppers want one, those stocks would have been gone by now. But that's not the case at all. EB even have to do a firesale of the Xbone controller now to attract people to buy the console:

Srv29YN.png

BigDug13

The PS4 launched after the XB1 here.

Edit: Not sure if I understood what you're asking? The article states the PS4 didn't sell as much, I don't know why NPD Australia have released the figure for one and not the other.

Yeah so this article has no idea if that sales record was broken again a week later?

The article does not specifically say that the PS4 sold less than XBO other than mystery industry sources.

The company would not break out local sales, but industry sources told The Australian Financial Review Australian sales of Sony’s device fell short of Microsoft’s across the same period a week earlier, primarily due to the company being unable to ship enough ­consoles to meet the number of pre-orders at bricks-and-mortar retailers.

Michael Ephraim, the managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, said the company was planning to fulfil pre-orders before Christmas but expected ongoing ­shortages.

“It’s been overwhelming,” he said. “I’ve been around since PlayStation One and we still haven’t seen the kind of demand we’re seeing now for PS4.

“The first weekend sales figures is just the beginning because we haven’t fulfilled all the pre-orders yet. We haven’t been able to completely fulfil the demand as yet but we will. ­Hopefully consumers can buy one.”

He pointed to research from firms Roy Morgan and Telsyte that suggested more than 600,000 PlayStation 4 units could be sold over the next six months, ahead of the Xbox One.

Isn't this good for Sony?

UNCMark

Banned
Same here in germany.
I took this picture on saturday (2 days ago).
Went into two different shops.
No PS4 (all sold). Xbones were lying around.
Customers asked about the PS4.
(New shipment around the 13th-16th Dec.)

Hey look it's Bundy in another positive Xbox One thread letting everyone know the Xbox One isn't actually selling. Pack it up, folks. Anecdotal evidence trumps actual sales numbers.

sangreal

So you're saying the fact that the XBO "broke all sales records" means for the period leading up to this report which does not include sales figures of PS4's launch?

yes, but the article also includes sources saying the PS4 sold less during its corresponding launch

The PS4 launched after the XB1 here.

Edit: Not sure if I understood what you're asking? The article states the PS4 didn't sell as much, I don't know why NPD Australia have released the figure for one and not the other.

npd australia is not the source of the article's claims re: PS4 sales. They almost certainly were excluded because they fell outside of the reporting period. Same reason only 3 days of Xbox sales were included

Loudninja

EB Games Australia did say the PS4 launch from than more than double the PS3.
QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA – November 29, 2013. EB Games is celebrating a hugely successful launch of the PlayStation 4 console, with over 321 stores opening their doors at midnight for customers.

Shane Stockwell, Merchandising Director, stated that the launch of the Playstation 4 has surpassed the size of the Playstation 3 by more than double. “This was one of the biggest console launches of all time, and was twice the size of the Playstation 3 launch we saw in 2007. Demand for the Playstation 4 is unlike anything we’ve ever seen before, and we are currently taking preorders for shipments in early 2014.”
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726820&highlight=

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder why MS shipped so many to Australia? At launch when you're spread think you don't want to leave stocks on the shelves. Day one records are great, but I wonder if they could have launched I more markets instead?

Ps4 breaks records
"yea good job sony you deserve it."
xbox1 breaks records.
"well its because the ps4 is sold out"
The salt man. Its weird. :| I don't see this many users go into PS4 sales breaking records and trying to down-talk them. "Lol what a backwards country buying the PS4 over the Xbox One." I know that post here was a joke, but really this thread (which is a celebratory thread) isn't the thread to try and bring these types of things into. :p

Bundy

Banned
Hey look it's Bundy in another positive Xbox One thread letting everyone know the Xbox One isn't actually selling. Pack it up, folks. Anecdotal evidence trumps actual sales numbers.

Hey look, it's UNCMark again. Funny guy.
Always hurt if you post (in his opinion) bad news for certain consoles.

Nemesis_

LOL @ not wanting their console to be sold out. Those stocks are not left behind because MS want to leave some for impulse buyers and holiday shoppers. Their console is just not selling much. There was never at one point where the console got sold out and then got refilled. It was *always* available because there's little to no interest in it. If holiday shoppers want one, those stocks would have been gone by now. But that's not the case at all. EB even have to do a firesale of the Xbone controller now to attract people to buy the console:

Srv29YN.png

Umm, both my closest stores confirmed to me earlier this week that they received their second replenishment of stock of consoles today (so three shipments total since launch)

Sure they didn't replenish after the console was sold out, but they still replenished. I guess it depends on what store you go to and how you want to paint this.

Though to paint it as "there's little to no interest" is just the worst end of the hyperbolic spectrum and I literally cannot with this attitude.

Frolow

Banned
Great stuff for Microsoft. Hoping the sales elsewhere are just as good for them.

And I'm laughing at all the fanboys here. I hate being in a community where other hobbyists actively hope for the failure of companies and industry leaders. It's just sad.

Grillex

Banned
So I'm going to go against the grain here and say great job Microsoft. It's an awesome console. Way to keep that supply chain flowing.

Raist

Banned

Yes, MS has amazing, near infinite supply and can thus restock every other day to make sure there's always an XB1 on a shelf somewhere.
This makes perfect sense considering they had to cut to 13 countries from 21 for their launch, of course.

Nemesis_

Great stuff for Microsoft. Hoping the sales elsewhere are just as good for them.

And I'm laughing at all the fanboys here. I hate being in a community where other hobbyists actively hope for the failure of companies and industry leaders. It's just sad.

People don't understand that competition is actually a good thing. I've been shocked to find people my age and older actively gunning for both MS to "fail" and exit the console market, and for Nintendo to become a handheld only business.

As if that'll make everything "good". Competition is what you need to breed success and motivation from the companies and manufacturers.

But I am legitimately shocked to find presumed adults wishing for the demise of any of the companies. It's just pathetic and immature.

Maybe not for Nintendo, they don't seem concerned with competition lol

JLeack

Banned
Toilets flush the wrong way in Australia. Wrong consoles win sales records. Australia is a sinister and backward region of the planet.

Wrong console says who? Why doesn't Xbox One deserve success? It has a great OS, wide feature set, is innovative, has the best gaming controller of all time, and has the best software at launch of the big 3.

Hey look, it's UNCMark again. Funny guy.
Always hurt if you post (in his opinion) bad news for certain consoles.

It's always fun to discover that the console war is actually a war for some people. Fight on, soldier.

oP3REAz.png

Again, this is what Microsoft wants. I already have two friends that bought the Xbox One over the PS4 because of how much easier it is to buy the Xbox One over the PS4, while at BestBuy yesterday I saw an old lady with her daughter (who was in her 40s) ask for a PS4 or Xbox One, and got the Xbox One after they said PS4 is out of stock. Microsoft is succeeding as far as they're concerned.

This might be the worst possible defence you could come up with.

People don't understand that competition is actually a good thing. I've been shocked to find people my age and older actively gunning for both MS to "fail" and exit the console market, and for Nintendo to become a handheld only business.

As if that'll make everything "good". Competition is what you need to breed success and motivation from the companies and manufacturers.

But I am legitimately shocked to find presumed adults wishing for the demise of any of the companies. It's just pathetic and immature.

I've noticed a general lack of understanding of competition on this board. The go-to defence for PS4 dominance seems to revert to the PS2's success and library of games. And I can't begin to explain just how incredibly flawed that logic is.

Frolow

Banned
I've noticed a general lack of understanding of competition on this board. The go-to defence for PS4 dominance seems to revert to the PS2's success and library of games. And I can't begin to explain just how incredibly flawed that logic is.
There is no logic, it's simply favoritism.

Chobel

Explain to me, PM me if you want. Why should I as consumer care if one console maker failed?

I'm not surprised, the price difference is $50 AUD, even less since Microsoft is packing in FIFA which is what every dude in Australia plays anyway.

I have no idea what the PS4 is so expensive in Australia, besides Sony Australia is beyond useless. I've had enough trouble with them regarding high end prosumer hardware where they're basically unable to match US or Europe stock availability for whatever reason.

Competition implies someone loses at the end of it.

So, uh, why would wanting a company to fail/lose (due to what a person may perceive as failures by said company), be anti-competition?

Copenap

Wow that's more then I've expected. Makes me really wonder how much of the innitial 1m where sold in mainland europe.

Uk was 250k right?
No numbers on NA? But it has to be at least 600k, right?

That leaves less then 100k for whole mainland europe (the countries it launched in anyways) for the launch weekend.

Edit: So UK was 150k, puts mainland europe below 200k which is reasonable I would say.

methane47

sales of Sony’s device fell short of Microsoft’s across the same period a week earlier, primarily due to the company being unable to ship enough ­consoles to meet the number of pre-orders at bricks-and-mortar retailers.

So is Winning Australia a moral victory or a consolation prize?

Top Bottom