• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox One smashes sales records" (Australia), more than double Wii launch

mhd

Neo Member
For everyone complaining about the lack of PS4 advertising... what's the point of advertising something when you can barely meet demand?

Vee_One

Pizza Hut is definitely still a thing in Australia. There's actually one around North Balwyn/Balwyn, a inner suburb for the middle class.

Though few actually run like the old buffets where you'd overdose on garlic bread and jelly. I think there's one out in Bendigo though.

I see - it's all but gone where I am in WA.
Used to see loads of them but most have disappeared. I do enjoy Some Pizza Hut.

Back on topic: both consoles are insanely popular in AUS. Those suggesting otherwise or that this is Playstation country are just crazy or misinformed.

Congratulations to Microsoft. I have both and so far I am enjoying the Bone far more. This may obviously change in the future (and I'm sure someone will dig up post history in the future and use this against me).

Side note: I really wish some people on GAF would stop the snide remarks as not one of these posts is entertaining to read. It's getting really hard to read any thread about the machine as a lot of people just seem to come in to the threads for the specific purpose of trolling. This particular thread isn't too bad but a lot of them are just shocking.

Striek

This has to be some terrible spin because the PS4 is by far the most popular new console in Australia. Maybe it's a stock issue but at the retailer I work at we had no orders for the Xbox One.

Its not terrible spin because its the best launch ever, it doesn't matter that the PS4 is more popular (which no one is doubting), the Xbox One had a truly fantastic launch.

Anhkow

ReverseJoelBanderas.gif

idykXhUJ53G6V.gif

Replicant

This has to be some terrible spin because the PS4 is by far the most popular new console in Australia. Maybe it's a stock issue but at the retailer I work at we had no orders for the Xbox One.

Ah, let them dream for now. It'd be fun once the overall data comes out.

Good for ms, could be sales will be a lot closer this gen, even at higher cost than most expected

I know you're a sentient mushroom but there's a clear reason for that in Australia. Elsewhere, I don't think the sales is "a lot closer" because the price difference is nowhere near as close as it is in Australia. If you really, really, really want a next gen console, the Xbox One is in stock and basically the same price as the PS4 and arguably offering more value if you wanted a motion camera and Fifa.

I have no idea why the price differential is so close in Australia. If Microsoft can't beat Sony in Australia when the price difference is only $50, then you're not going to hear "good news" from them for a long time because this is like the only place in the world where, if you don't care about specs, the Xbox One is delivering more bang for the buck than the PS4. There should even be support with Foxtel if you like cable. But there are reports from like every retailer that there are a shitload of preorders for the PS4 so if Microsoft CAN'T win in Australia past launch, this would actually be horrible news since they're not exactly burying the PS4 in sales right now.

Reminder: the Xbox One is only $50 AUD more expensive than the PS4 in Australia. They are $600 and $550 respectively. This is not $400 vs. $500 where there is a huge price difference, the difference is chump change and the Xbox One also comes with the Kinect, if you ever wanted that.

This is weird, I don't know of anyone running out to buy an Xbone around here.

I know in Melbros the trams had some advertisements on it. And Fed Square had some billboards.

Oh and Sydney...

xbox-one-midnight-launch-pics-1103129.jpg

Which also had the count down

BZmJxt8IcAAdLuG.jpg:large

More stuff here.

That is fucking amazing! Why haven't I seen this shit at Disney World!?

Phades

I am just saying - looking at how people react on GAF to things and how people within the general public react highlights the difference.
And how exactly are the average folks standing in line the same as what GAF people think?

The most ironic thing about the vitriol is just recently we had our first game enact an online-only DRM policy and it's on both the consoles.
WTF? First off, that has nothing to do with anything I was talking about. Secondly, did ubi go stupid again or something? I had not heard of the 3rd party DRM yet.

bobot

Neo Member
anecdotal evidence here.

My local eb told me they did 40K in sales for the xbone launch
and 16k for the ps4 launch

Mind u they are pro Xbone, one thing i know about us aussies, were fucking way too impatient

anecdotal evidence here.

Mind u they are pro Xbone, one thing i know about us aussies, were fucking way too impatient

I'm guessing they meant the entire chain for Australia did that right?

Seriously doubt the 16K number but who knows?

Hmm, I wonder if these stats are actually sold through to customers. Because Xbox Ones are in stock everywhere and it seems that supply exceeds demand by a huge amount. Obviously the PS4 is sold out until Febuary everywhere, so it's not hard to outsell something with limited supply. So It wouldn't be too hard to believe these stats, but once again seeing tons of these things sitting on the shelves makes me a little suspicious about the actual numbers.

Oh and the Wii was impossible to find when it launched.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
anecdotal evidence here.

We're impatient because we always have to tucking wait!

stryke

Hmm, I wonder if these stats are actually sold through to customers. Because Xbox Ones are in stock everywhere and it seems that supply exceeds demand by a huge amount. Obviously the PS4 is sold out until Febuary everywhere, so it's not hard to outsell something with limited supply. So It wouldn't be too hard to believe these stats, but once again seeing tons of these things sitting on the shelves makes me a little suspicious about the actual numbers.

Oh and the Wii was impossible to find when it launched.

I'm pretty sure NPD numbers are always "sold through"

klee123

Yeah I noticed that my local EB was trying way too hard to sell me an Xbone despite that I had the PS4 on order.

I guess it also helps that my local store had quite a few X1's available whilst PS4's are pretty much out of stock until Feb.

bobot

Neo Member
Yeah I noticed that my local EB was trying way too hard to sell me an Xbone despite that I had the PS4 on order.

I guess it also helps that my local store had quite a few X1's available whilst PS4's are pretty much out of stock until Feb.

Did we all get the email from EB's managing director or whatever telling us to run in and snag an xbone before stocks ran out?

Top Bottom