• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - Support for Custom Soundtracks?

Received a PM from user Traumnovelle earlier asking me to create this thread.

basically, the user would like to know if custom soundtracks have been confirmed and if so, will they work how they currently work or can we expect some changes.

I assume it's business as usual and custom soundtracks are supported and won't undergo any significant changes, but there is a lack of info...

Sanctuary

I didn't know that the 360 was actually capable of having a custom soundtrack. Simply overwriting in game music with whatever you're playing through the music player isn't quite the same thing.

I'd be real surprised if a system built around DRM supports custom soundtracks.

And if not, it's gonna get real confusing when people talk about how the Xbox 1 supported custom music but the Xbox One doesn't.

JaggedSac

I would think that certain apps can register as having the rights to play sound in the background. That is slightly different than what the 1st XBox had, which allowed the game itself to have access to songs that were available on the box. Maybe they will tie in custom soundtracks with XBox Music.

I didn't know that the 360 was actually capable of having a custom soundtrack. Simply overwriting in game music with whatever you're playing through the music player isn't quite the same thing.

There were scant few games were it would integrate. The WWE ones for example for custom entrance music. Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012 let you integrate a playlist as well (And the game would dynamically raise and lower the volume for you). But no one else really built it in since you could just do it at OS level. Which was disappointing considering how the OG X-Box did it and some games would even integrate it seamlessly like Project Gotham's radio stations.

Outside of party chat this is my most used feature on the 360. Love the hell out of it and have quite a few custom playlists set up for different genres. If anything it needs to be fleshed out more so you can easily fast forward / rewind / listen to podcasts at the same time etc.

jcutner

the fact you can do this on the 360, but not the ps3 is a major thing for me. i love streaming music from my macbook while playing forza. i can't do it nearly as seamlessly on the ps3. i'm not transferring content then making a playlist before i go into gran turismo, it's absurd.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I don't think it'll happen on the PS4 or One. There's way too many variables this time around (is the user recording/streaming? Did they jump into a movie? Calling Skype from a game? Bring up a web browser? Recording footage for archive?) for it to work as effectively.

GamerSciz

Custom soundtracks are cool for online play but during a game I feel the music is part of what makes the experience. Of course it depends on the game but I don't think for SP people should use custom soundtracks. Just my opinion of course.

You can listen to custom soundtracks while watching TV while speaking to a friend on skype, while playing a game, while browsing on internet explorer, while skipping a McDonald Ads, while listening to another soundtrack.

Custom soundtracks are cool for online play but during a game I feel the music is part of what makes the experience. Of course it depends on the game but I don't think for SP people should use custom soundtracks. Just my opinion of course.
Many of my custom soundtracks incorporate the in-game music, but mix it up differently. So I can play some Reach firefight with my own mix of Halo tracks, or have music in GTA4 going at all times instead of just when I'm driving.

Flexibility and choice are great things to have, and music can a huge difference to games.

I don't think it'll happen on the PS4 or One. There's way too many variables this time around (is the user recording/streaming? Did they jump into a movie? Calling Skype from a game? Bring up a web browser? Recording footage for archive?) for it to work as effectively.

This is actually a very good point and one I hadn't considered. Would be a shame if custom soundtracks were no longer an OS feature.

SPDIF

It'll likely be gone from the OS, instead you'll just use Xbox Music. Just launch the app and let it run in the background.

Edit: pretty much what need4speed said

Sanctuary

There were scant few games were it would integrate. The WWE ones for example for custom entrance music. Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012 let you integrate a playlist as well (And the game would dynamically raise and lower the volume for you). But no one else really built it in since you could just do it at OS level. Which was disappointing considering how the OG X-Box did it and some games would even integrate it seamlessly like Project Gotham's radio stations.

All I remember is the hype surrounding the ability to use custom tracks to replace the default in game tracks right around the 360's launch. I never actually saw it do that with any game (but I never played the very select few that had that ability). They just made it sound like it would be the standard.

I've seen this implemented on the PS3 with Wipeout HD Fury, but I don't know how many games on the PS3 use it either.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They just won't record the custom soundtrack if you're recording or streaming.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Not sure about that.

I mean Vita you can do all this hopping between things and it supports background music.

I think it'll be a matter of individual apps that play music co-operating with the operating system's regime of handling background music. Pretty much like Vita in fact. So when you constrain or minimise that app to go to something else, the music keeps playing.

IrishNinja

man, i hope so - that was one of my favorite features for the 360, i wanted it on the PS3 1000x more than party/group chat

Top Bottom