• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One system update coming today

Personally I'd find it irritating/inconvenient if I walked into the room and said 'Xbox on' and got nothing because it decided to just turn off completely. Especially if you're like a lot of people who don't know an update is coming. It's a bad user experience.

It is going to happen once maybe every few month. It is a non issue. Seriously. If this is a problem for you then you have hyper vigilance or something because to most I would assume this is a total non issue.

its not like this happens often, every device today has updates.

Having updates is fine and I agree, everything has updates now (for better or worse) but I was replying specifically to why someone wouldn't like to find their Xbox now shutdown instead of in standby mode. If it's going to update itself "in the background" then it should bring it self back to standby mode.

oVerde

Banned
Presumably they will be fixing/adding things at various intervals for maybe the first year (fixing things first, then adding), once everything is how they want it we'll go back to big updates in Spring/Fall like we usually do.

Hey Steve, you rule, is there something more you can share with us?

hawk2025

I just hope people don't wonder why their Xbox is stuck at a green screen and try to unplug it or something. Could this update brick consoles this way?

That's what I'm worried about.

- Xbox doesn't turn on with voice command
- Person hits the power button
- Stuck on green screen for two minutes
- Yanks cable and bricks the console

:(

Hopefully there's a "system is updating" message or something before the green splashscreen.

Hopefully there's a "system is updating" message or something before the green splashscreen.

Seriously. This could be tragic for some people without a system update message.

see5harp

They REALLY need to enable notifications for friends on your favorites list. I understand why they wanna get away from the notifications for everything approach last gen, especially with followers and the increase in friendslist, but getting rid of pop ups for your favorites is very inconvenient for a hardcore gamer.

hawk2025

They REALLY need to enable notifications for friends on your favorites list. I understand why they wanna get away from the notifications for everything approach last gen, especially with followers and the increase in friendslist, but getting rid of pop ups for your favorites is very inconvenient for a hardcore gamer.

You do?

Because I keep getting an ENDLESS stream of "Video Clip Recorded" notifications.

It's maddening during Peggle.

R_Deckard

I'm assuming the dashboard performance fix fixes the memory leaks?

And how do you check manually for updates?
Yeah, as the dash on mine gets really chuggy after a day or so I have to power cord out and on again.

Also there is a hdcp error that if you go into a content protected app etc it the stops all content being capture including games, I guess this still be fixed later also?

BondFancy

I wonder how you manually download this update, mines currently unplugged because I've been away, shouldn't it just automatically say I need to update when I turn it on and connect to Xbox Live..here's to hoping the logical thing is correct lol Because the way he words it seems a bit ambiguous to those not using low power state, all he mentions is, "If you are not using the Xbox One “Instant On” feature, you will be required to download and apply this update after Thursday, December 12th at 4:00 PM PT." Maybe I'm missing something and the finals have got to my head...

Nzyme32

That is an incredibly good point. Without a notification for customers who have no knowledge that an update is taking place, they wouldn't know why it was taking its time.

That green xbox splash screen is the same as the one you see during any boot. When my brother got his, he almost turned it off thinking something was wrong until I told him it was the update and to wait a while.

Would it really be so hard to just put a quick "updating" text or progress bar to solve all this

hawk2025

That is an incredibly good point. Without a notification for customers who have no knowledge that an update is taking place, they wouldn't know why it was taking its time.

That green xbox splash screen is the same as the one you see during any boot. When my brother got his, he almost turned it off thinking something was wrong until I told him it was the update and to wait a while.

Would it really be so hard to just put a quick "updating" text or progress bar to solve all this

I'd like to believe that there will definitely be a message.

Surely they thought about this. We'll know in a couple of hours :p

Nzyme32

I'd like to believe that there will definitely be a message.

Surely they thought about this. We'll know in a couple of hours :p

I only saw my brother's xbox one on the day he got it, and that first update does not tell you what is happening. Maybe they changed it on other xbox ones, I'm not sure.

But yeah, it seems totally obvious to me and anyone else that uses a device that has to update on reboot.

Edit - Come to think of it, this reminds me of the way Windows used to do updates. If you were in a full screen program or in the middle of file transfer, it completely disregarded warning you of the update and just when ahead and restarted your computer. Doesn't happen any more without a warning but that was insanely frustrating

sangreal

I only saw my brother's xbox one on the day he got it, and that first update does not tell you what is happening. Maybe they changed it on other xbox ones, I'm not sure.

But yeah, it seems totally obvious to me and anyone else that uses a device that has to update on reboot.

? The first update does tell you what's happening; but it isn't done on the green screen. There is a download progress bar and then a black screen with a green progress bar before it reboots. Doesn't sound similar to this update at all

edit: here is a video of the day 1 patch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okczt4EZFAc

Nzyme32

? The first update does tell you what's happening; but it isn't done on the green screen. There is a download progress bar and then a black screen with a green progress bar before it reboots. Doesn't sound similar to this update at all

edit: here is a video of the day 1 patch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okczt4EZFAc

Thanks for that. I was talking about the very first boot. It took over two minutes, but was perfectly happy after that. I thought that was the update, I guess not though.

Yusaku

I find it hilarious that people that use the voice power command are going to periodically find that it doesn't work because your Xbone magically downloaded an update without you knowing.

see5harp

You do?

Because I keep getting an ENDLESS stream of "Video Clip Recorded" notifications.

It's maddening during Peggle.

That's Popcaps fault. I had to manually delete 20 videos last night so I'm well aware of the issues with that game. If they enabled online notifications for xbox one, the issue would be compounded, especially for people who are using the box to watch tv (which is actually a large amount of my friends based on the activity stream). If it was just favorites, I probably wouldn't mind.

Having updates is fine and I agree, everything has updates now (for better or worse) but I was replying specifically to why someone wouldn't like to find their Xbox now shutdown instead of in standby mode. If it's going to update itself "in the background" then it should bring it self back to standby mode.

It updates when you boot again not when it's in standby.

Are system updates no longer going to come a few times a year?

Looks like they are going to route Google did with Android 2.1 where they are separating the core system from everything else. Notice you had to download the blueray player app? This allows them to update much quicker.

G_Berry

Banned
Looks like they are going to route Google did with Android 2.1 where they are separating the core system from everything else. Notice you had to download the blueray player app? This allows them to update much quicker.
Yeah its much better this way. No more waiting ages for broken shit to be fixed.

No lag for me on Fifa, the recent patch even made it connect first time to online games (seasons and co-op seasons)
Yup seems to be something specific to my xbox one and network. Fifa 13 on the 360 is problem-free on the same (wired) connection as is Battlefield 4 on the One. Crazy. Nobody else seems affected.

Majanew

Banned
I have a problem with my xbox one in that sometimes when it boots up the sound is crackle. I turn it on and off and it isn't. Is anyone else having this problem?

Happens to me all the time. And it's very annoying.

There's some issue with either their software or the HDMI port. I can have both my Xbox One and PS4 turned on and when switching back-and-forth between inputs with my receiver's remote, the Xbox will have some nasty audio crackling/cutting out when I switch back to it. I either have to switch back to PS4's input and back to the XB1 input to fix, or I have to wiggle the HDMI cable in Xbox to get it to disconnect and reconnect. Might be a handshake issue since it will fix just by going back to another input and then selecting Xbox One. I don't have this problem with any device I've plugged into my receiver. This whole system [Xbox One] feels half-assed.

JaggedSac

Nice to hear they are fixing things at a relatively good pace. Also good to hear they have more planned updates coming. Hopefully this one fixes the stuttering that occurs after a bit.

malfcn

How many people are going to think there is something wrong because of the cold boot? Looking forward to the update.

hoos30

I hope the MS guys have a good Christmas....so they can come back to work in January refreshed and ready to fulfill the potential of this thing. It does so many neat things, just needs a little longer in the oven.

The_Monk

While I do not own a Xbox One I hope this update can go through without any problems or freezes for all those fellow GAFfers with XB1's. These days we all fear that some updates may end up doing more bad than good so here's hoping that all goes well! :)

Anyone get it yet?

well i just turned on my xbox one and its stuck at the screen that lets you turn off your console/controller and it's unresponsive...

edit: I just hit the power button and it shut off...so I guess I'll wait till like 8:20 to check on it.

Does this update download automatically while my xbox is in standby overnight? EDIT: I guess I'll have to manually switch it on after.

Top Bottom