• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One system update coming today

def sim

This is confusing. I'll turn on the console in 10 min and see what's up, but I hope we'll be able to update in a more conventional sense in the future.

I remember you could push updates on 360 by going to test Xbox live connection, it would normally sign you out and if it found an update, do it before logging you back on.

May be worth a try if people want to push the update, may still work.

oVerde

Banned
I remember you could push updates on 360 by going to test Xbox live connection, it would normally sign you out and if it found an update, do it before logging you back on.

May be worth a try if people want to push the update, may still work.

Will shot a try when got back home :)

REDRZA

Banned
Yeah, as the dash on mine gets really chuggy after a day or so I have to power cord out and on again.

Also there is a hdcp error that if you go into a content protected app etc it the stops all content being capture including games, I guess this still be fixed later also?

That's because you are leaving all your apps open in the back ground. If you "quit" all apps on a you aren't using them the dash doesn't get sluggish.

Spasm

That's because you are leaving all your apps open in the back ground. If you "quit" all apps on a you aren't using them the dash doesn't get sluggish.

No, it still does. I quit my apps religiously, and still get the chugs. I think it has to do with fast resume of games (beta) and either KI or DR3 getting into a persistent chuggy state that's only cleared with a hard reboot.

No update here and I tried doing test network/test multiplayer connection neither prompted anything :(

I got light headed after I got up and on my way to the other room fell over banging head on the base of the door, this update better be bloody magical when it arrives!

theytookourjobz

No update here and I tried doing test network/test multiplayer connection neither prompted anything :(

I got light headed after I got up and on my way to the other room fell over banging head on the base of the door, this update better be bloody magical when it arrives!

Get your head outta the clouds man.

Cartman86

Banned
Wonder if that update for scalability will allow for easier and quicker updating. Updates breaking standby is fucking stupid and makes such features a waste. Especially for non hardcore gamers or folks who get annoyed by updates. PS4 has the same issue. I expect this generation to continue the complaining about updates every time someone powers on there console trend.

Klocker

Wonder if that update for scalability will allow for easier and quicker updating. Updates breaking standby is fucking stupid and makes such features a waste. Especially for non hardcore gamers or folks who get annoyed by updates. PS4 has the same issue. I expect this generation to continue the complaining about updates every time someone powers on there console trend.

Yes MN mentioned improving updates with this update. :)

Mononoke

Banned
Have no idea how to make the update install (or if it's even live). I use the Instant On beta, so according to the press release, it should have downloaded already in the background at 5pm (Pacific). So uh..then I need to shut it down. Then Xbone will update it, and shut off all the way. THEN I reboot it manually.

Or something.

EDIT:

Did "Xbox turn Off"...then "Xbox On"...didn't do anything.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just got the update. It came automatically but I shut it down a few times in the past hour.

You'll know if it arrived if your power brick is orange/brown

Currently installing now. You get greeted by a progress bar and the Xbox One logo splash

Mononoke

Banned
Just got the update. It came automatically but I shut it down a few times in the past hour.

Currently installing now. You get greeted by a progress bar and the Xbox One logo splash

Seems confusing as hell. Also..it's a random roll out? WTF. Would it really be that hard to have an option to "check for system update".

UPDATE: I'm an idiot. Should have read the thing more closely. If you leave it in standby mode, it initiates the Update.

smurphdogg

Neo Member
So if you want to know if your Xbox is off or in stand-by you can look at the power brick. If the light is white, it's in stand-by and you haven't downloaded the update yet.

PhatSaqs

Banned

Good to know.

Mononoke

Banned
6.2.10217.0 (xb_rel_launch.131205-2200)

Thanks. Yeah mine definitely hasn't updated yet. So just to be clear, I basically...I can have my Xbox One on right now (watching tv etc.) and it will just randomly download in the background eventually?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Thanks. Yeah mine definitely hasn't updated yet. So just to be clear, I basically...I can have my Xbox One on right now (watching tv etc.) and it will just randomly download in the background eventually?

I don't know, but my Xbox One was off when I noticed the power brick change. I also briefly saw my Xbox One light up on the console itself as if it was on, but I wasn't using it

The update itself is only a couple minutes, nothing too painful

fred

Seems confusing as hell. Also..it's a random roll out? WTF. Would it really be that hard to have an option to "check for system update".

Not that hard, Nintendo have that for the Wii U. And if I remember correctly there aren't any mandatory updates apart from the first one. Same with games too, if you start a game with an update available you get a window and two buttons, one to start the update and the other to play the game without updating.

Same goes for the 3DS too for firmware updates, no mandatory updates.

Nintendo have done a good few things wrong with the Wii U but updates for firmware and games is done the right way imo. Think you might have a mandatory update before you can access the eShop and Miiverse though, although I will stand to be corrected if I've got anything wrong above!

Doodis

My buddy just updated and his Xbox is borked. It's zoomed into the screen apparently.

EDIT: nevermind, apparently it happened before the update, but it's working now.

According to Major's post, only when it's in standby and there's no indication on how often it checks:

"Don’t worry, if you are out of town for the holidays, you console also does regular checks for updates and will download it in the background even if you have not used you Xbox One in a couple of days."

The only way to force a download of the update is to turn the console off and allow it to go into standby (must have the power setting of "instant on", which is default).

Mononoke

Banned
According to Major's post, only when it's in standby and there's no indication on how often it checks:

"Don’t worry, if you are out of town for the holidays, you console also does regular checks for updates and will download it in the background even if you have not used you Xbox One in a couple of days."

The only way to force a download of the update is to turn the console off and allow it to go into standby (must have the power setting of "instant on", which is default).

Oh okay, that is a little more clearer. Guess I should have read it a bit more carefully. I guess..I'll put it in stand by and wait 40 min or so. If it's not DL by then though lol I'll just wait tomorrow. I actually want to use my xbox one tonight.

Put my console into standby, then folded a load of laundry and brushed my teeth. Went back into the living room and the power brick light was amber, indicating it had shut down. Maybe was a 15-minute time span so the download was super quick.

Booted up, got a small green progress indicator on a solid black screen that took about a minute to complete, then to the all-green Xbox One logo loading screen for about 2-3 minutes before booting to the dash. Easy process.

Put mine in standby a little bit ago and it started to update almost instantly. The power button light on the console starts pulsing every couple seconds when it's downloading, so that's another sign to look for.

Otherwise though, mine updated with no issues. Pretty painless process.

Welp, "Xbox On" worked for me, so obviously the update wasn't downloading for the 30 minutes I had it off. :(

Think I'm just going to ignore it and just hope it downloads while I sleep tonight.

I don't have the update yet, Is black level fixed? also is the kennect nag message gone (if its unplugged)? Are they hidden updates (not on that list)?

edit: i got the update and nope :(

xkramz

I got the update. I had it on standby. And it downloaed while it was on standby .after. it downloaded the power brick turned Orange meaning the Xbox is completely off. I turned it on and the green bar comes up showing that it's either loading or installing something...and now on a green Xbox one logo screen. Been there for 4 minutes and counting.

DirtyLarry

it's a small thing, but they should really add some type of progress bar or at least the spinning circle to the bootup logo.

I remember a bunch of people thinking there system was frozen at launch, when it was ultimately just doing the regular update and bootup process
Seriously this.
I got the update just now, turned my console on, saw an initial progress bar indicator and it was moving, figured that was the update itself but I guess that was maybe the download, and now I am just staring at the boot screen.

Ooooh, as soon as I typed "staring" it finished. But it was a good minute of boot screen, if not longer. Any indication whatsoever that it is doing something would be nice.

jester_

Walked out and saw power brick was orange, "Xbox On" didn't work so I turned it on and saw the splash screen. No progress bar on the first Xbox One logo, just a green screen, so I can see some people getting confused and turning it off - ruining their console :(

EDIT: Looks like my flash version is still the same, maybe it was just shut down without me knowing instead of sitting in standby like I assumed.

kwiklot

Banned
Might be time to turn on the One and finish some Forza races thank for the info about not pulling the plug good thread.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah pretty much say "Xbox Turn Off" then leave it in standby. Mine initiated the download about 5 min later. The White Xbox Logo on your Xbox One will flash (if it's downloading) and the power brick will turn orange. If you don't see it flashing, but your power brick is Orange, then that means the download is done. Just reboot it, and it will install. Also, don't panic if it hangs a while on the Green Xbox Logo screen.

Marleyman

Banned
Yeah pretty much say "Xbox Turn Off" then leave it in standby. Mine initiated the download about 5 min later. The White Xbox Logo on your Xbox One will flash (if it's downloading) and the power brick will turn orange. If you don't see it flashing, but your power brick is Orange, then that means the download is done. Just reboot it, and it will install. Also, don't panic if it hangs a while on the Green Xbox Logo screen.

I did this; power brick is still white after 5 minutes.

Hawk269

You have to let it sit a while like the poster above mentioned. I turned mine off for only 1-2 min and then turned it back on, but after reading the above post, I left it off a bit longer and in about 5 min, I saw the Xbox Light flashing on and off. So it is live, just have to tell it turn off and leave it off for a little bit.

But more important, for those that have the update notice anything different? I know that when Major mentions updates in the past, he does not seem to mention everything, so just wondering if there are some other little things that people are noticing. I am doing some stuff around the house, so have not had time to re-boot the system as of yet.

Top Bottom