• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One teardown reveals replaceable hard drive

Surprised Microsoft did not design the Xbox One in a way so they could sell you a bigger overpriced harddrive, they must have made alot of money selling bigger 360 drives.

I can see 500GB not being enough space very soon, 50GB games and lots of DLC.

Biker19

Banned
Knowing Microsoft this is my #1 concern. They will want to control the market as much as possible. If not from Live then the machine itself.

too bad microsoft blocked you from using large 3rd party HDDs in the 360, doubt things will be any different here

Surprised Microsoft did not design the Xbox One in a way so they could sell you a bigger overpriced harddrive, they must have made alot of money selling bigger 360 drives.

I can see 500GB not being enough space very soon, 50GB games and lots of DLC.

Bingo. And even if Microsoft allows the external HDD option for the system later on, they're not gonna allow people to use 3rd party HDD's. They're gonna most likely force people to buy their overpriced, proprietary external HDD's for it, just like they forced people to buy their overpriced, proprietary HDD's for Xbox 360.

Thank goodness that both Nintendo & Sony lets us upgrade our HDD's with Wii U, PS3, & PS4, because I can't imagine...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
as many others have said, the two biggest problems with XBox have always been

1) usually no replacing the actual physical hard drive without voiding some warranty
2) typically custom (and fixed) hard drive partitions and images only giving you access to sizes MS has released.

It doesn't look like this changes either.

njr

Yeah that's doubtful. They made console bans on detachable hard drives on the 360 that didn't even open the system. There's no way they would allow it for the One other than through a new SKU. I also think they're riding on the cloud for saves like they stated before, and automatic storage management that was confirmed earlier this week.

Jumpman23

Not being able to upgrade the hard drive easily like the Xbox 360 is very disappointing to discover. If the Xbox One is going to have the same lifetime as the Xbox 360 those hard drives are going to fill up really quick. The average Joe is not going to be able to replace the hard drive and will be forced to purchase a system upgrade if they want more storage space...? This is a very similar move to what happened with the Wii at its launch with limited storage due to no HDD.

Arklite

Yeah..I don't think I'd be attempting that shit at all anywhere near launch. Safer to keep the warranty in tact for the first batch.

B_Boss

I don't know but.....I remember someone at reddit mentioned that misterxmedia should be banned from the internet given the hardware analysis lol...all joking aside I do wonder what his next article will be....

edit: sigh...nevermind:

Insider Daily. Xbox One OS is real time OS & Mistercteam finds more proof for hidden tech inside XB1

The secret sauce worship is still strong with this one.....

Mister D

I thought the Xbone supported external hard drives. Wouldn't that allow you to connect say a 4TB external by USB 3.0 and store your games that way. I installed a 1.5TB in my PS4 but I would have loved to just buy a 4TB external, hook it up to the thing and probably not have to worry about space for the entire generation. The ease of upgrading the PS4 hard drive was pretty welcome but it would be nice if both consoles allowed you to upgrade the internal as well as supported external drives that would authenticate the games to your account similar to how you can buy a new PC and have access to your games on Steam.

We already knew this. The problem is that its not really replaceable unless you want to avoid your warranty.

Speaking of which, the heatsink is actually smaller and the fan is taller than I expected. I understand the point of ducting but I really thought the heatsink would be large enough to basically run passive.

So the console will actually recognize and partition a replacement HDD? The article fails to mention anything other than it physically being replaceable, which is kind of a "no shit" revelation.

RaikuHebi

Banned
holy crap. they have a turntable replica inside

E3vGmnPjieupNKR2.huge
All in One media solution delivers.

Can't upgrade your 500GB internal storage you say? Let me tell you about the 32GB of flash in my Wii U. Hopefully Xbox One is updated soon to support external storage. At least it has USB 3 ports.

angrygnat

Technically everything is replaceable. I mean if I wanted to, I could replace my 1980 Chevettes engine with a brand new Lamborghini motor. But should I? Is it wise. Will the XB1 OS recognize a bigger HD? It's not designed to easily be changed. Why would MS develop tools to ease in replacement if they don't want you to?

Bingo. And even if Microsoft allows the external HDD option for the system later on, they're not gonna allow people to use 3rd party HDD's. They're gonna most likely force people to buy their overpriced, proprietary external HDD's for it, just like they forced people to buy their overpriced, proprietary HDD's for Xbox 360.

Thank goodness that both Nintendo & Sony lets us upgrade our HDD's with Wii U, PS3, & PS4, because I can't imagine...

MS releasing a proprietary external HDD for extra game storage, we all know its coming. I can see it now $100 for an extra 500GB and it will require to be plugged into the mains :) I wonder how MS PR department will try and spin it.

MS releasing a proprietary external HDD for extra game storage, we all know its coming. I can see it now $100 for an extra 500GB and it will require to be plugged into the mains :) I wonder how MS PR department will try and spin it.

Taking a page from the Vita book.

Nah, they've already announced external HD's will be supported (any brand), it's just not enabled on the One at launch

If you live in the future.

Yes, yes. The ol' tired 2014 bit. The reality is that virtually no one is going to fill that internal hard drive before external drives are supported. Unless you're going to buy and install every big third party and first party game available for shits and giggles to prove some kind of pointless point. If MS doesn't get that update out until mid to late next year, I'll understand the value of pointing out the lack of external drive support now. Seems fairly trivial and something that should pop up early.

I know the 360 had some shockingly overpriced proprietary HDDs, but I was always impressed by how easy they made replacing those.

To go from that to... this? :/

holy crap. they have a turntable replica inside

E3vGmnPjieupNKR2.huge

Oh my... in keeping with the parallels between Xbox One and launch period PS3, I think we just found our George Foreman grill image :p

Forget T-bone steak, Imma cook me up some X-bone steak, cut from the finest British war elephants!

Okay, I'm done.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Do we know if it needs a specific line of hard drives and custom firmware flash like the Xbox 360? I wouldn't really call any of this easy.

Taking a page from the Vita book.

Nah, they've already announced external HD's will be supported (any brand), it's just not enabled on the One at launch

But have they said any external HD can be used for games? I may be getting cynical in my old age, but I cannot see MS leaving money on the table.

Cyrano

I'd have liked an option to replace simply cause I don't want another thing attached to the console that I have to make room for and that aesthetically doesn't look too good to me.
Yeah, aesthetics are important to a lot of people. The design of this so far seems a bit problematic, particularly with regards to voiding the warranty if you decide to use another HDD. It comes off as particularly strange to me because Microsoft already got their money for the hardware, so why they would care about a HDD replacement is a bit odd.

That said, the fact that it's super difficult to actually get to the HDD does make that a bit more understandable, if a bit hard-headed that the placement of the HDD under a lot of other hardware was a poor design decision from the outset.

Secret sauce secondary dGPU on the right (LOL):

Insider: Xbox will rise from the ashes of the greatest console war the world has ever known. Great secrets remain undiscovered. Breakthroughs available to those who can remove one of truth's protective layers.

Me: Yes, yes, this is the TRUTH my dearest friend, but Microsoft must reveal the hidden power of Xbox One soon, or risk losing more ground to Sony PhonyStation.

Insider: Do not be discouraged. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Nurse: Time for your medicine, Vladimir. Am I interrupting something?

Devildoll

In what way is this different from the xbox 360?

If you rip open a 360 HDD case, i bet you'll find one of these laptop drives in there as well,
just like if you rip open an XBONE.

i fail to see the what is so remarkable about there being an off the shelf harddrive in this thing.

The interesting thing, in my opinion is what happens if you replace it.

does it work?
Will you have to use a pc to spoof the replacement drive first?

etc etc etc..

Hoo-doo

Banned
If this counts as user replaceable then everything ever made has an user-replaceable harddrive.

It voids the warranty and requires disassembly of the entire thing. Still, cool if you're out of warranty I guess.

Omni

Easily? No, the article says as much from a physical standpoint and if MS follows 360 and Xbox then there's going to be ample software checks to prevent you from just dropping any ol HDD in there.
There are software checks?

:lol

I bought a 250GB HDD from eBay -which clearly is not a legit MS product - and it has worked fine for years on the 360.

tipoo

Banned
I'm sure many of you knew it by now, but mildly interesting that the fan sucks air from the inside and pushes it up sucking air up through the heatsink,instead of down to the heatsink.

t1GJ1RXuMmxj4YMZ.huge

Top Bottom