• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One teardown reveals replaceable hard drive

Theeze

Neo Member
Not only do you void your warranty, you will most likely get banned for tampering. Considering the Xbone heavily relies for it to be online, getting console banned would absolutely suck.

synce

I'm sure many of you knew it by now, but mildly interesting that the fan sucks air from the inside and pushes it up sucking air up through the heatsink,instead of down to the heatsink.

t1GJ1RXuMmxj4YMZ.huge

Either way works... ideally you'll have two fans, one on each side. And given how barren the xbone is on the inside MS probably could've made that work if they tried :p

Erasus

Even IF you could somehow reinstall the OS, like how Sony offers, there would probably be software checks.

Disgusting.

joesiv

With all that empty space in there, if SOMEONE can figure out how to mirror the current HDD's contents onto a new HDD, it might possible to throw in a 4TB+ 3.5 inch drive in there!

Only problem is, it'd be hard to know if you gained all that space, since it doesn't seem the OS gives out free space information does it?

Given all the water cooling, and other mod's the 360 went through, I'm sure we'll see people tackling it.

*edit* on second thoughts, I guess a 3.5" drive would consume more power than the 2.5"er, so it might not be possible without feeding it some extra power from somewhere...

heyf00L

The Xbox and 360 harddrives were both standard hardware, but you couldn't replace them.

Well you could on Xbox with a BIOS mod.

Theeze

Neo Member
The Xbox and 360 harddrives were both standard hardware, but you couldn't replace them.

Well you could on Xbox with a BIOS mod.

You could with the 360 as well...That oversized proprietary hard drive was just the case...open it up and you get your standard 2,5 notebook drive.

Pretty shady to make you spend more on a hard drive than it's really worth all because of their proprietary hard drive enclosure.

Dunlop

I don't get why they would not just let you swap the HDD out when they have no plans on selling a proprietary version.

tipoo

Banned
Either way works... ideally you'll have two fans, one on each side. And given how barren the xbone is on the inside MS probably could've made that work if they tried :p

And they already did it on the 360 Slim and that has a pretty low failure rate if I'm not wrong, so it's not a *bad* implementation. Just interesting. Most companies have the fan blowing onto the heatsink or sucking air through the back, not sucking straight up through the heatsink.

Theeze

Neo Member
I don't get why they would not just let you swap the HDD out when they have no plans on selling a proprietary version.

This is the same company who forces you to buy rechargeable batteries and a cable to go with. They want you to spend more than what the HDD is actually worth. They never cared about the consumer wants...even if it is just for PR sakes.

I don't see them making another console after this, they're screwing up at every corner. When they try rectify a problem another one seems to jump at you.

linkboy

You could with the 360 as well...That oversized proprietary hard drive was just the case...open it up and you get your standard 2,5 notebook drive.

Pretty shady to make you spend more on a hard drive than it's really worth all because of their proprietary hard drive enclosure.

You also had to have specific models and flash a firmware onto the HDD, you can't just plug any hard drive in.

I did that a few years ago with my 360 slim and I haven't had any problems with it.

Nope.
It's standard... form factor, but it could boast a custom firmware, locking keys (like XBox classic) and probably a custom filesystem (that you cannot format without some development tool).

BigDug13

Sounds like a slight misleading title to me...

Yeah this is true. I mean what did the OP expect? Some new HDD type that had never before been seen and was not available to consumers? It's a HDD.

Even if you cracked open the plastic of one of the 360's "proprietary" HDD's, you'd see an ordinary HDD inside with proprietary plastic casing around it.

Honey Bunny

I'm sure many of you knew it by now, but mildly interesting that the fan sucks air from the inside and pushes it up sucking air up through the heatsink,instead of down to the heatsink.

..yeh, an exhaust fan. Just don't put stuff on top of your 'bone!

Theeze

Neo Member
Might not be a way to install the OS if you replace the HDD

Bingo! The PS4 requires you to use that 800mb update as opposed to the standard 300mb file. The 800mb has the OS in it or at least part of it.

The Xbone won't support it, so only a single firmware file for the stock hard drive.

tipoo

Banned
Bingo! The PS4 requires you to use that 800mb update as opposed to the standard 300mb file. The 800mb has the OS in it or at least part of it.

The Xbone won't support it, so only a single firmware file for the stock hard drive.

I wonder if PC-side disk image cloning would work.

OryoN

Nintendo kinda set a precedent - since GameCube - for having an extremely "clean" mother board layout. Sony & MS both did a pretty decent job this time around. All 3 boards look pretty damn tidy.

Pimpbaa

In what way is this different from the xbox 360?

If you rip open a 360 HDD case, i bet you'll find one of these laptop drives in there as well,
just like if you rip open an XBONE.

i fail to see the what is so remarkable about there being an off the shelf harddrive in this thing.

The 360 had a hard drive in a caddy that hooked to the side of the 360 (the original model) which you could upgrade with MS' ridiculously overpriced hard drives or rip apart the caddy to put your own drive in there. The problem with the Xbone hard drive is that MS doesn't want you to change the hard drive, whereas the 360, PS3, and PS4 can all have their hard drives replaced without voiding the warranty. Also, they ALL use standard off the shelf laptop hard drives.

Top Bottom