• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

farisr

I don't believe it that Sony able to pull this off.See the launch of PS3 as example.

MS will not make the same mistake as when Sony launched PS3 for the PAL countries.
Still sad for those people's whose live outside the launch countries.
MS please drop the 24 hours policies and you can have my money.

Notice the wording. It's not saying the system is launching in all these regions. It's saying the regions where games will work if you manage to obtain a console, which could be done through importing.

teiresias

Here's a perfect example of how this could be a problem.

US Service members who are station in Japan get their internet from Japanese ISPs. If MS is blocking this via IP address and failing the activation because of it, anyone who buys a US Xbox from their base exchange will not be able to use it (since the system will detect their IP as being in Japan).

"Buying from the 'base exchange'. I don't even know what that means, but it sounds pretty horrible."

Vormund

This is just getting ridiculous now.

And would affect me. I live in Australia, but I frequently go back to Thailand to stay with my wife's family. So this would be bad for me since I do take my Xbox along while I'm there.

I live in the US. I only buy games that are in English and come out in the US. Why would I care about region locking?

I imported many PS1 and Saturn games. Most memorably, I played through SOTN and somehow about 20 hours of FF8 in Japanese. I played the hell out of Radiant Silvergun. I imported a DC from some assholes (not NCX) for about $600.

However, times have changed. 99.9% of decent foreign games are ported to various languages. Games usually release day and date in multiple languages. Systems certainly do. Those who care about region locking are few and very far between. Out of all the consumer unfriendly things about the bone, that is the last one to worry about.
That might be true but when that game is, for example, Demon's Souls which wasn't received amazingly in Japan I can't help but disagree about it not being something to worry about. I don't think the series would be on its third entry if it wasn't for the overseas market that imported and praised it.

CAVE games alone have been enough for many a gamer to pick up a Japanese 360 system too.

There are great games to be missed thanks to region locking. I don't think it should ever just be shrugged off.

As an expat living in Asia these kinds of policies just makes my blood boil

Just when I though my disgust with MS had peaked, they reveal something like this...

Zaventem

I live in the US. I only buy games that are in English and come out in the US. Why would I care about region locking?

I imported many PS1 and Saturn games. Most memorably, I played through SOTN and somehow about 20 hours of FF8 in Japanese. I played the hell out of Radiant Silvergun. I imported a DC from some assholes (not NCX) for about $600.

However, times have changed. 99.9% of decent foreign games are ported to various languages. Games usually release day and date in multiple languages. Systems certainly do. Those who care about region locking are few and very far between. Out of all the consumer unfriendly things about the bone, that is the last one to worry about.

What a perfect username.

I guess patience is something that's not known in this place.

You have it messed up. How can they NOT know the answer for such simple questions? They are the ones trying to sell, trying to please the fans in order to make business. We should wait until might MS makes up their mind?

No, no no, this is just unacceptable. Nobody is asking anything under NDA, and if these topics are under NDA at the moment, then it's clearly something bad.

That's why so many people are outraged.

What an absolute joke. People who willingly support this POS system will deservingly get Xboned.

They are the biggest problem. Can't wait to see the lines at midnight for the launch of this thing. However, after six months or so, this is shaping up to be a colossal flop.

The worst thing about all these Xbone problems is that there are people who will still buy it. It's still quite likely to be successful.

Sums up my feelings.

Demon Ice

Banned
At this point the only thing MS can do that is even more anti-consumer is to have representatives hiding in bushes waiting to pants people that are dumb enough to still buy an XB1.

Zaventem

I have an account on 360achievements.org and when you have people with 50-100k+ gaming score leaving you know you fucked up big time.

Why are Microsoft acting like it is the 90s again?

Holy shit, I can't believe I actually cannot buy and play this console when it launches!!! (Live in South Korea, you know the place with the fastest internet in the world, born in the UK).

This actually isnt region locking but something which has never been done before. I dont care about region locked games as it is part and parcel of owning a console, what i do care about is the fact that i cant tie my current XBL account (Australian membership) to the console i want to purchase at launch (PAL UK or PAL UAE - same console)

i think what is being implied is that if i live in the UAE, i have to tie it to UAE servers - which may mean i lose my 30K+ gamerscore which is currently tied to an AUS account and the fact that i cant get a console on launch as the UAE region is not supported yet.

WHat this means is maybe for the first year i will be PS4 only until the xbox is "officially" released and supported here.

Dunan

This does not follow at all. If most games are translated into multiple languages, people will want to play them in any and all languages that they can read and understand.

As a multilingual person whose wife comes from a different culture, I know I'll be giving my kids games in the language of the country that we don't live in, so that they can be exposed to part of their heritage. Are you forgetting just how many American families include immigrants? The borough of Queens in NY (to take one example) is 47% foreign-born. All those people should be denied the right to play games in their native tongue? And if they go back to their birthplaces, they shouldn't be able to carry their English-language game hobby with them?

Wait, do I interpret the map correctly and MS considers each country in Europe to be their own region? Surely that can't be true, can it?

Rich!

This generation so far is like a championship bout between two world champion boxers, only with the fact that one of the fighters has somehow managed to not only piss off almost the entire audience with their arrogance, but also managed to break their own nose and five ribs before even entering the ring.

It ends up as a complete knockout, and all the competition has to do is a single punch to end it.

that's my lovely analogy. Apply it to wrestling if you wish

Sianos

Microsoft, not content with being outdone by Nintendo's region locking, has gone the extra step to lock down their console to only play in certain regions.

Why? Is there any reason why other than because they need to be the absolute worst?

Amusing how they have no plans to launch in Japan at all.

fftsp

Neo Member
Great so nothing for where I live, oh well they are making my decision easier, I simply can't understand how MS can f*** this up so badly

My God, if they don't even have their facts straight, why do they even put this info on their site? Normally, when you have bad news to deliver, you put some effort into the delivery to soften it. I believe that's called PR. Microsoft should look into that.

Just get another clear(lol) answer from support

wvPfUyG.jpg

Javier

I don't think I've ever seen so many anti-consumer BS put together on a single product.

Seriously what is this I don't even

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
So it's not even the traditional PAL/NTSC/NTSC-J thing anymore?

What the ...

This is like the worst console ever! It's like they took a look at their existing customer base and tried to do everything in their power to piss them off and inconvenience them in every way. Internal sabotage. I can already name a fair few of my 360 friends who, even if they WANTED to, couldn't even buy and use this thing.

Microsoft need to release some kind of info sheet just explaining everything in one place.

Um..its still not clear - is that what i was saying before - like how i am set up now? (Living in UAE with a UAE xbox connected to Australian XBL server?

I think it's clear but conflict to OP's support reply
I think what he mean is you need US(example) XBL account to connect to US Xbox Live then you can connect to Xbox Live even you live in china

And guys,it will release in Japan
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201306/11034700.html

MCD

I think it's clear but conflict to OP's support reply
I think what he mean is you need US(example) XBL account to connect to US Xbox Live then you can connect to Xbox Live even you live in china

And guys,it will release in Japan
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201306/11034700.html

That's what I have been saying all along. But the Xbox Support twits implied we need to move to the USA USA USA in order to play this...this console. In other words, IP check.

Eusis

That's what I have been saying all along. But the Xbox Support twits implied we need to move to the USA USA USA in order to play this...this console. In other words, IP check.
At least it's import friendly, though I do think they're screwing up Europe entirely there unless there's something I'm missing.

That's why i said it's conflict to OP's reply
Need high position MS guy to confirm it i guess

Top Bottom