• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

d00d3n

Someone has probably mentioned it already (did not read the entire thread), but could this ridiculous requirement be due to agreements with Hollywood studios and other media content providers? Enforcement of geographical restrictions through the once a day online check seems destructive to Microsoft's games business, especially if you factor in the expected PR backlash.

Andrefpvs

Holy crap at no Japan, Portugal, Poland and Greece.

It's almost hilarious how much of a clusterfuck this console is. They honestly deserve to fail.

Instead of complaining about MS, why dont you guys look in the mirror and complain to the people responsible for this... YOU!!!!!!!!

Its not MS fault you live in the countries they deem unworthy of being XBONED!

I swear... some people....

Shaneus

Z0UBmHr.png
So Australia can play it, but it looks like Tasmania is shit out of luck. Bahaha.

Isn't this the same as the countries that have XBL support? Most people outside of XBL countries can simply create an account from another of the supported countries and make it work.. If this stays the same, I don't see how it's a problem.

But hey what do I know.. Guess I missed the hatred bandwagon.

Isn't this the same as the countries that have XBL support? Most people outside of XBL countries can simply create an account from another of the supported countries and make it work.. If this stays the same, I don't see how it's a problem.

that appears to no longer be the case per XboxSupport1 on twitter, nor has microsoft indicated otherwise.

tsumineko

I'm just picturing seeing all the Sony dudes on stage at next years e3 covered in expensive jewelry, fat guts, gold plated everything on stage, and massive smiles.

So Australia can play it, but it looks like Tasmania is shit out of luck. Bahaha.

That's ok, no one in Australia knows that Tasmania is a part of our country either.

No Japan. LOL

So I guess at the very least a year late in Japan, if not more, since Asia's already on the list and they're getting it a year late, while Japan's not even on the list yet.

9028976344_6d799f07a7.jpg

Interesting...

Oh man...I don't even...

How could they not know/have a clear message on if you can resell the system itself? Crazy.

nasos_333

"Fortunatley consumers in other countries can just buy a 360."

MS is really crazy these days

Starting E3, i simply cant believe the news i read, one after the other MS destroys everything i considered sacred in gaming, like the freedom to ... well ... actually own and play games

Thank god there are still free platforms out there

It's not the same because this time it's implied that consoles outside of those countries won't even be able to autenthicate new games, moreover with the 24-hour check in thing it's going to be even more difficult if MS enforces an IP check for your current location.

Limit

Crazy stuff. They have exclusivity of Japanese games like D4 locked up but the console itself is not even making an appearance in that region? Huh. And MS must be hedging their bets on completely dominating the U.S. market. With enough money and marketing they just might.

This is like some sort of weird bizarro world dream. This is the kind of stuff even Sony circa 2006 would say is too much.

I hope that as things move forward, Japanese developers and publishers realize that Microsoft is only using them as puppets, and abandon them for greener pastures. At least with WiiU and PS4 they can make games they can sell to their own countrymen. Christ on a bicycle.

Dreaver

It's really insane that Microsoft went with some of these changes, I can not believe it. What fucking idiot is in charge? Especially after the 360 being one of the best consoles ever.

Seriously, the Xbox One would already be a million times better when:
- Remove the online-DRM 24h check-in
- Remove Kinect from the bundle and make it optimal --> lower the price of the Xbox to $399 (or $349 even)
- Do not block used-games

I am convinced people would actually be hyped for the Xbox One, even if it's still a little bit worse on the technical aspect. These things are seriously mind blowing stupid.
les.

linkboy

It's not the same because this time it's implied that consoles outside of those countries won't even be able to autenthicate new games, moreover with the 24-hour check in thing it's going to be even more difficult if MS enforces an IP check for your current location.

Here's a perfect example of how this could be a problem.

US Service members who are station in Japan get their internet from Japanese ISPs. If MS is blocking this via IP address and failing the activation because of it, anyone who buys a US Xbox from their base exchange will not be able to use it (since the system will detect their IP as being in Japan).

tafer

Incredible, most of Latinamerica, half Europe, most of Asia and Africa can't play this thing even if they wanted?!

What is this people thinking!?

Hana-Bi

Well wouldn't it be illegal to actively encourage gamers to make fake-accounts?

Things like:

We only recommend using a console and games from the same region you are located in for best results.

Is the only thing they can say. There are different policies in every country so you couldn't play some games legally if those aren't classified.

Is it possible to create a fake-account? Yeah. Can you create one with the One? Not sure yet.

eznark

Banned
Microsoft is learning from its Kin and Windows 8 disaster and, as douche bag tech bloggers like to say, doubling down.

Pathetic run there Microsoft.

EGM1966

I find myself wondering if MS really were rushed into launching this year. I saw some rumours to that effect but figured nah, not after the 360 has been in the market for so long, they must have the next console all worked out.

But hell looking at how half finished most aspects of the services surrounding the console seem it's hard not to think MS really were caught unawares by Sony's timing with the PS4.

One thing seems certain, even if sales are strong initially in US/UK the PS4 is sure to sell more globaly right from the bat just due to having a larger addressable market. I'm fully expecting early sales headlines showing XBone behind PS4 worldwide which is going to come across as a market switch vs PS3/360 right away.

The launch really does feel half baked and unready outside US and maybe UK.

No one is assuming anything. Did you read the OP?
Really? Look at the replies I got...

The one I just quoted assumed the worst (look at what I bolded). I'll quote it again.

that appears to no longer be the case per XboxSupport1 on twitter, nor has microsoft indicated otherwise.
Translation: We don't know for sure, but it appears that situation x is true, so, it must be true. And since we've just assumed the worst, and Microsoft has not told us that it's not the worst case we just invented, it simply the worst case and we must revolt.

Translation: MS implied x, so they confirmed x, and MS can possibly enforce an IP check, so, they will do it and the console is therefore useless and no one can create an account outside of their own country, because MS is pure evil.

Tell me again, how this is not assuming the worst.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to insult anyone specifically, and I apologize if this seems like I'm taking a stab at you two. But I've been seeing this trend all over the place. There's a lot of unknowns, I know that, and I have concerns too. However, people assume the worst, pretend it's already true and confirmed, and then make a shit storm about the delusions they themselves made up. These attitudes do not put gamers in the best light. We are free to express our concerns, but the higher the level of hostility, the more it's a sign of emotional ranting, rather than rational feedback based on true concerns. This is more like a herd of sheep than anything else.

I even tweeted MS a few days back, BEFORE the conference, asking about authentication of games in countries that don't support XBL. They replied that they don't have anything to share at this time. I wasn't happy with the answer, but I didn't go ranting on the internet. I ASK, rather than assume, and then try to inform. If they don't have an answer, I can wait, and I'll ask again later.

For the record, I just asked the IP stuff too.. Another unhappy answer, but, they will probably share when they themselves know.

I guess patience is something that's not known in this place.

Mandoric

Banned
Someone has probably mentioned it already (did not read the entire thread), but could this ridiculous requirement be due to agreements with Hollywood studios and other media content providers? Enforcement of geographical restrictions through the once a day online check seems destructive to Microsoft's games business, especially if you factor in the expected PR backlash.

It's probably just "games must all be associated with an xbone xbl account" + "xbl accounts are geographically assigned".

I wouldn't put it past MS to be dumb enough to turn on their geolocation-based blocks for it too, like they do for some 360 XBL content, but it's entirely possible that it's just a stupid ui/ux issue caused by how Live has always worked + how DRM works now.

Microsoft should have had this figured out well before they revealed the console and launch countries. There is no rational reason for a 'maybe' or 'stay tuned' response here, especially when consumers are being sold on nebulous advantages to this system. Or being told by Microsoft's president of interactive entertainment to buy their old game system if we don't have good internet service.

This half-ass information dump, and the response to the weird rules and restrictions is entirely Microsoft's fault.

Microsoft should have had this figured out well before they revealed the console and launch countries. There is no rational reason for a 'maybe' or 'stay tuned' response here, especially when consumers are being sold on nebulous advantages to this system. Or being told by Microsoft's president of interactive entertainment to buy their old game system if we don't have good internet service.

This half-ass information dump, and the response to the weird rules and restrictions is entirely Microsoft's fault.
No disagreement there. But, people are often taking the 'stay tuned' response as "the thing I don't want is confirmed'. I guess it's too much to believe that MS might actually be re-evaluating some of their positions. After all, even though it's PR, they did say they want to find a balance for all the parties involved, which includes the consumer. They know that if they don't listen to the consumer, they will fail. We might not get everything we want, but, I don't think they'll be shoving everything aside either.

As of right now, the PS4 definitely seems like the better choice, and that's what I would go for, if I actually wanted a next gen console..

wizzbang

Banned
Dylan Cuthbert from Q Games just tweeted that the Xbox One may be IP region restricted / locked too, for fucks sake.

So those who are big Xbox fans (fortunately not me) can't even import a fucking console and play imported games! You'd need to setup a VPN or something (and that's a lot easier on a PC than it is a console)
Madness, just madness.

Dylan Cuthbert from Q Games just tweeted that the Xbox One may be IP region restricted / locked too, for fucks sake.

So those who are big Xbox fans (fortunately not me) can't even import a fucking console and play imported games! You'd need to setup a VPN or something (and that's a lot easier on a PC than it is a console)
Madness, just madness.

OUCH. Well.. If that's true, they simply just cut off a huge part of their installed base. Have a link for the tweet?

RedSwirl

So wait, if you live in one of the non-supported countries, you just have to register an XBL account in another territory and thus activate your games on the XBL of that country?

Madness, just madness.

If this is true then damn.

Nekofrog

Banned
I think it's really funny that for those few people who were on the fence about whether or not to get a XBone or a PS4, MS has pretty much made the decision FOR them by not even allowing it in their country.

But what if, for example, I live in Brazil but decide to import a game from the US, will I be able to authenticate it on my Brazilian xbox live account or am I obligated to buy the game in a store in Brazil?

Top Bottom