• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

I don't see the big deal with all this, they have a console for people who live in the wrong regions of the world. The Xbox 360.

But seriously I can't believe that Microsoft are actually abandoning so many large and growing markets. Tis thing is only gonna be a marginal success in the US and Britain, and even there the PS4 will likely outsell it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
日本でのXbox One発売が確定
Xbox One will release in Japan

That Dumitru Tudor dude is from Romania

Okay, thanks for clarifying, but it's still not the scenario I'm inquiring about. Romania is not on the list so is currently excluded by default at the moment it seems. There is less clarity about countries that are on the list that would traditionally all be PAL, like Belgium, France, Spain, UK etc not being able to play games bought in neighboring countries.

Okay, thanks for clarifying, but it's still not the scenario I'm inquiring about. Romania is not on the list so is currently excluded by default at the moment it seems. There is less clarity about countries that are on the list that would traditionally all be PAL, like Belgium, France, Spain, UK etc not being able to play games bought in neighboring countries.
Umm maybe someone in here can help you to ask them?(but not sure are they really know about this)

RobbieH

What a joke. I assume this is region-locking based on IP address? How much starker can they make the difference between PS4 and Xbox One?

Country-locking seems to be the suggestion as importing is out. So to play an Xbox One game Kinect must be connected, it has to install to the hard drive, the game has to be enabled for your country (each game has its own region requirements), it must authenticate with the server, you must be in one of the 21 countries where one of those servers is provided and the server has to be pinged every 24 hours.

Sendou

You're part of a global community. Supporting Xbox One's horrific policies and potentially making it a success fucks others in the global community by allowing such practices to gain a foothold and potentially continue in the future.

It's fine if you want to be selfish (we're all selfish in our own ways), but you can't claim you're on your own little island with this.

It's not like I would ever be interested in buying XBONE. But let's say that there would exist a console I would really want and yet it would have a policy which would affect a lot of people yet not me. I would go for it. Why? Maybe I'm selfish. Maybe I don't have such a grand vision for gaming as a community or future of gaming.

Fun fact is that every passing year companies in gaming business have created worse and worse policies from consumer's point of view. Most of them have affected me too. Still people are extremely excited for PS4 for example. It's a step back from PS3 as far as consumer friendliness goes but it's not a very high priority for many people right now. All they see is Microsoft's wrong doings and put the things into perspective. Yet I say they're not looking at things rationally.

I say we should compare policies to past products not future. So for example if I see a paywall for online gaming with PS4 I should ask myself is this worse than what I got on a console released 6 years ago rather than asking if it's worse than their competitiors consumer nightmare. That is all.

If we allow companies to stomp consumer's just because their competitiors is even worse then due time we ironically will end up with a product we were so strongly opposing from the start. There will always be the worst company. It shouldn't be a free "fuck-up ticket" for everyone in the industry.

Mrbob

Country-locking seems to be the suggestion as importing is out. So to play an Xbox One game Kinect must be connected, it has to install to the hard drive, the game has to be enabled for your country (each game has its own region requirements), it must authenticate with the server, you must be in one of the 21 countries where one of those servers is provided and the server has to be pinged every 24 hours.
Head.....hurts.

But he has a point. My country is there too so why should I care?

Talk about the wolf... He has no point. If people are all going mad that their country isn't supported why should they "put down their pitchforks" because he is fine?

Not caring is one thing, but expecting people to be ok with something just because you are is bullshit.

jiggle

9028976344_6d799f07a7.jpg

They didn't say no but they didn't say yes either...

nope, no way
just no possible

Sendou

Talk about the wolf... He has no point. If people are all going mad that their country isn't supported why should they "put down their pitchforks" because he is fine?

Not caring is one thing, but expecting people to be ok with something just because you are is bullshit.

Let's be clear: if you at this point are still wanting to buy a XBONE only to find out that it's not available for your country then I don't know what to say to you.

Fixed for truth

More like #BuyAPS3 or #BuyA360.

why would I ever live in the non mentioned countries?

(since things are heated up due to E3, this is a reference)

PS: that was done previously, my bad.

Awesome! NZ is supported day 1 lol.

Asia, South America, Eastern Europe and Africa?

Why on Earth would I live there?

:)

I can't believe I'm reading this. I'm missing something, why the hell aren't internet connections from all those other countries good enough?

My god, all this shit and for what? You'd think used games had taken their firstborn child or something.

Jump in!

Soler

Banned
I don't see the big deal with all this, they have a console for people who live in the wrong regions of the world. The Xbox 360.

But seriously I can't believe that Microsoft are actually abandoning so many large and growing markets. Tis thing is only gonna be a marginal success in the US and Britain, and even there the PS4 will likely outsell it.
Don Mattrick? Is that you?

Let's be clear: if you at this point are still wanting to buy a XBONE only to find out that it's not available for your country then I don't know what to say to you.

More like #BuyAPS3 or #BuyA360.

I've never owned a MS console, I've only owned Playstations. And I'm not planning to buy the xbone. I was just arguing that guy's sense of community (or lack of). At least pretend and say "sorry for you guys".

cliophate

Neo Member
I'm from Luxembourg. (but I live in Germany) Luxembourg is/was one of the richest countries in Europe. We got bad ass internet over there. They can't tell me that this country hasn't access to a good infrastructure. Plus: they got an office in that country to pay less taxes.
What the f***?!

Glorioso

I'm a long time Xbox user in Portugal, i've had a UK account until Live was released here, can i use the One with my UK account? They will block IPs?

lol I can't even buy or play the console in Portugal. What is this the 1970s? Can't remember the last time I couldn't buy a gadget on time with the rest of Europe. Bad decisions after bad decisions, wow, I'm just at a loss for words. It's like they don't want people to buy their console...

... Or maybe, could this be related to the yield problems rumor going around before E3? Honestly, for them to enable other countries' accounts all it takes is probably a couple hours. Could they only be supporting these 21 countries because they think they will not be able to meet demands due to yield issues if they supported more countries?

Glorioso, from what I've read, no you can't. Que palhaçada não achas?

pelican

Poland not supported. Poor CDProjekt after going on stage with The Witcher 3.

"We spoke with Marcin Iwinski, co-founder and joint CEO of CD Projekt Red about the matter. "I was just in a restaurant and saw the list," Iwinski told us. "I was surprised, and I really hope that it isn't final. I think Polish gamers will speak out loud. From my perspective, it's a sad situation."

madmackem

I'm a long time Xbox user in Portugal, i've had a UK account until Live was released here, can i use the One with my UK account? They will block IPs?

Yeah portugal isnt supported so if we are reading this right you might be out of luck. I wouldnt rush to import an xbone thats for sure.

TrutaS

Again I'm baffled that media is not all over this. Again a major scandal (isn't it? I feel like it is) breaks down and the media are just waiting, hoping it will settle down because they would hate to write another bad Xbox story.

Is this real world?

Poland not supported. Poor CDProjekt after going on stage with The Witcher 3.

"We spoke with Marcin Iwinski, co-founder and joint CEO of CD Projekt Red about the matter. "I was just in a restaurant and saw the list," Iwinski told us. "I was surprised, and I really hope that it isn't final. I think Polish gamers will speak out loud. From my perspective, it's a sad situation."
where is this quote from? Because this indicates that the developers didn't know the launch countries. Which is mind-melting.

Chris_C

Asia, Eastern Europe, Africa and most of South America don't matter. I hope Sony absolutely obliterates Microsoft this generation. I've never seen a company treat it's consumers so badly.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Fuck MS dropped the ball. It's such a PR mess at this point. Always good for a laugh though.

MS is out-Sonying Sony.

Top Bottom