• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to overtake PS4 in US by 2015, says analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

T9lWwBO.gif

Yeah.... no!

Haha yeah it's the same guys.

PS4 to dominate confirmed.

Very probable that this will happen in the US. I would hope we get a nice even split again this gen... look what competition has already done for the consumers.

WIth the game MS has lined up and some COD exclusive stuff, yes the X1 will probably overtake PS4 next few years. Will it be by a large margin? Probably not.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sony can always go 50 lower if things get dire i suppose, june NPD will be interesting.
I've seen this post every single month since November.

In November: "December NPD will be interesting"
In December: "January NPD will be interesting"
In January: "February NPD will be interesting"
In February: "March NPD will be interesting"
In March: "April NPD will be interesting"
In April: "May NPD will be interesting"

And now yours with June NPD in May.

I think we can optimize it and say NPD will be interesting until the end times.

madmackem

Kinect and the old price were a big gate to consumer take up.

Im not so sure it will have that big an impact, us saw price drops and bundles and in uk they were dropping them all over the place it had little impact on npd or in the uk. I think right now sony ps4 has all the buzz while ms fucked that console before it even released, i still get asked if it can play used games man.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's possible for Xbox One to be number one in the US as long as it has appealing games to go alongside the multiplats regularly. I don't know about 2015 though.

2016-2017 seems like a greater possibility. Multiple months in which the Xbox One is over the PS4 by about 30,000 or so could eat into the gap to eventually make it possible for the system to be #1 during that time period. The US gap right now is 500,000. PS4 is at 2.92 Million while Xbox One is at 2.42 Million iirc.

How is it possible when both consoles have nearly identical games, graphics, formats, features, PS4 has more power which will generally lead into better third party games. Unless Microsoft has some big surprised at E3, I don't see anything really changing. Also, what is stopping Sony from dropping price?

mclem

I particularly like the "Rather than 2016" bit. It's not that this change will boost the One past the PS4 - oh, no, this boost will just accelerate the inevitable.

GYNGA

That's possible of course, but this prediction is as good as an average people's guess. It all will depend on Sony's and Microsoft's actions and games they release, which are unpredictable variables.

Also, what is stopping Sony from dropping price?

This is really the key to the whole thing. This sorta reminds me of the comments on the power difference between consoles where they talk about how things will even out because developers will understand the Xbox One more in the future.

blakep267

That's possible of course, but this prediction is as good as an average people's guess. It all will depend on Sony's and Microsoft's actions and games they release, which are unpredictable variables.

True but I think that ms has a more us centric line up than Sony. Of I could get Destiny, Cod, halo and gears on a 399 Xbox, why would I buy a ps4 and only get destiny and COD with late dlc

Corto

If the present conditions remain constant it could be possible but in this fast moving industry (kinectless sku+decreased xbox one price less than a year after launch, as an example) these kind of predictions are meaningless.

Asd202

I love how people say that now Xbone has the same price as PS4 will lead it to overtake PS4 but don't give any real reason why would it happen.

Piggus

Lol. Based on what? Brand strength? The PS2 to PS3 transition demonstrated that price and sales momentum are significantly more important. Sony already has the momentum and the better hardware. I don't know a single person wants an Xbox One and price is usually not the reason why.

I love how people say that now Xbone has the same price as PS4 will lead it to overtake PS4 but don't give any real reason why would it happen.

This. There's no reason other than "durr it's Xbox and the 360 sold well."

Alphahawk

Billy Pidgeon is strangely close to the name Billy Pilgrim, perhaps he lept forward from the 360 era and just didn't realize it yet.

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't really care. Just want it to be reasonably competitive. Desperate MS are cool, and I assume that desperate Sony would be cool too.

Keep these two fuckers fighting it out and I'll just kick back and reap the rewards...

Novocaine

The enthusiast crowd has already spoken. I mean it's not impossible but they are going to have to make some magic happen.

Akai__

I'm really not sure, if it's that much important?

I just want to have a good competition, between all companies (Yes, Nintendo, too). Put the games out there!!!

It's possible, but I'm really skeptical. Sony has quite an incredible momentum going on and MS has lost a lot of mindshare. It can be changed, but it's not gonna be easy.

I don't get what people see in the XBone. I really don't. All these stories today lamenting the death of Kinect and now this.

I don't get it.
No offense, but that seems kinda stupid. The same could be said for any console and it would be similarly stupid in every case. Do you own a PS4? "I don't get what people see in PS4."
No really, maybe it's mostly about the games?

level44

People are acting as if Sony aren't going to bring out any games to combat MS's games.

It's almost laughable. No, Sony will stay ahead.

Rambone

Whatever, I don't see why people think Microsoft will over take Sony and the PS4. MS's ship has sailed and was bitch slapped by a giant squid. PS4 will get more games and so will the Xbox, the tug of war will never end.

Jack cw

People are acting as if Sony aren't going to bring out any games to combat MS's games.

It's almost laughable. No, Sony will stay ahead.

Dont start with logic here. It will only get you banned.
The gap will grow in May NPD because nobody will buy a 499$ xbone in that period.

This deal was two weeks ago. If you subtracted the added value of Titanfall, the extra controller and 12 months Gold (each item ~60€) the console was basically 264€ with Kinect.

Lets just put it that way. It didn't help to decrease the size of th One mountain in that store signicantly.

Meanwhile when they get their monthly shipment of ~300 PS4 units they are gone in less than 24 hours.

Totally annecdotal I know, but this is how it is in Germany from what I've seen and it is one of the biggest markets in the EU.

Zalman

August 2042 NPD will be interesting.

fse

Could happen. PS3 had a slow start and eventual outsold the 360.
Things can and do change sometimes.

Asd202

I probably make simillar posts to this like every month. Sorry :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom