• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to overtake PS4 in US by 2015, says analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen this post every single month since November.

In November: "December NPD will be interesting"
In December: "January NPD will be interesting"
In January: "February NPD will be interesting"
In February: "March NPD will be interesting"
In March: "April NPD will be interesting"
In April: "May NPD will be interesting"

And now yours with June NPD in May.

I think we can optimize it and say NPD will be interesting until the end times.

Every month is an interesting month.

On topic, I can see it happening in the US, but worldwide? Doubt it.

Zalman

Could happen. PS3 had a slow start and eventual outsold the 360.
Things can and do change sometimes.
It outsold the 360 because it had the rest of the world. Nothing will change with the PS4.

This thread is about the US, though.

Rambone

Why do people see this happening in the US? Is the US population engorged over inferior hardware or is Sunset Overdrive poised to set records for years to come?

MilesTeg

Banned
I don't see it happening. Gamers traditionally don't have a ton of brand loyalty. Whatever product is right for the market wins. PS4 is that product.

Essentially the argument is the Xbox brand is strong in America. Well, the PS2 dominated the US, that didn't stop 360 from cruising to victory over PS3 in the US. And Nintendo's dominance with NES and SNES didn't stop PS1 from killing N64 in the US (although N64 did well in the US).

I see this generation as a repeat of PS1/N64 generation in terms of sales. PS4=PS1, Xbone=N64. The Xbox will do well in NA, not so much elsewhere, and it will lose the US to PS just like N64 did despite having solid numbers here.

Hydrargyrus

I don't think that they were going to win more than June-July NPD. Even more, if Sony does a really good E3, they could loose June NPD, with the new SKU included.
They already lost march with Titanfall for free and discounts...

LuchaShaq

Banned
I don't see why kinect would be a barrier - just price.

and in March you could buy the Xbox with titanfall and kinect for basically the same price the new kinect-less and titanfall-less version will be. And it still wasn't enough to overtake PS4

Because no matter the price it would be hard not to feel like you paid for kinect, and in turn paid for something that belongs in the literal dumpster.

Even if the XB1 was 50$ I'd feel cheated knowing at least 5$ of that was for a kinect.

That said I think Microsoft and analysts are underestimating how poisonous the DRM debacle was. I still know plenty of people who only owned 360s who have zero desire to ever even touch an xbox 1 let alone buy one, people who think MS will just flip flop again on that.

Will take YEARS of good behavior to undo that damage.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just like the original xbox overtook PS2 after the pricecut to match the PS2 price? Sounds legit.
Not even remotely the same situation. PS2 had been out for ages before xbox even launced, it already established itself. It was also the successor to the super popular ps1. PS4 has none of these advantages. Xbox has been the most popular gaming brand in the US for some time and with price parity it's not out of the question that they could take the lead again. I'm not saying it will happen but it's not even close to a ps2 xbox situation right now.

Duster

Console sales don't matter as much anymore. It's more about the revenue attached to it. In the old days you had a better coralation between success and sold consoles because buying games was the only revenue stream. Now you have a multitude of options.

I am more interested in seeing who makes most for their online, dlc, and what their operations income are. We can't look at console sales as a gauge of success the same way.

This post makes me sad.
I mean you're right to a certain degree (eg.indies selling better on the Vita than on consoles with larger install bases) but it still makes me sad.

N30RYU

Gold Member
Fa2b1Ns.jpg

This deal was two weeks ago. If you subtracted the added value of Titanfall, the extra controller and 12 months Gold (each item ~60€) the console was basically 264€ with Kinect.

Lets just put it that way. It didn't help to decrease the size of th One mountain in that store signicantly.

Meanwhile when they get their monthly shipment of ~300 PS4 units they are gone in less than 24 hours.

Totally annecdotal I know, but this is how it is in Germany from what I've seen and it is one of the biggest markets in the EU.

This sums it up... there's no way a Kinect less One offers better value that the packs already offered.

I can see MS bringing the "Digital Family Share" if the Xbox One doesn't start to sell at a considerable higher rate.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It reeks of an analyst who came of age in the late 2000s which is the only moment in history when Xbox dominating was a foregone conclusion.

stang6604

And yet it only trails the PS4 by a few hundred thousand units. Seems very possible that the xbox one could pass the PS4 in the states

and by a few hundred thousand you mean 2 million right?

also it will never happen that quick. i still know people that think the Bone won't play used games. MS really screwed up at the reveal. A lot of people were only paying attention then. The early adopters already have theirs. Now the "general public" are buying consoles and they don't follow GAF like we do.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
and by a few hundred thousand you mean 2 million right?

also it will never happen that quick. i still know people that think the Bone won't play used games. MS really screwed up at the reveal. A lot of people were only paying attention then. The early adopters already have theirs. Now the "general public" are buying consoles and they don't follow GAF like we do.
In the US, which is what this thread is about the Xbone is trailing by a few hundred thousand units.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What sort of sales number did Halo 4 pull in NA?

Never underestimate Halo

I've never seen a Halo plummet in price as quickly as H4. Plus wasn't the multiplayer largely disliked among the Xbox community? I have little faith in 343 Studios to keep this franchise in the shape that Bungie had it.

cheezcake

I've never seen a Halo plummet in price as quickly as H4. Plus wasn't the multiplayer largely disliked among the Xbox community? I have little faith in 343 Studios to keep this franchise in the shape that Bungie had it.

The multiplayer was utter crap, but from a quick google search it still sold 9 million. Hopefully they learned from their mistakes, I think Halo still holds significant mindshare in NA.

yon61

I think it's probable actually. There are a huge amount of 360 players still waiting to make the generational transition and with the way Microsoft are getting their act together I see the One as becoming the more favored console of the two.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
What sort of sales number did Halo 4 pull in NA?

Never underestimate Halo

Halo is dead.
--
Looking right now for the NPD #'s-
---

EDIT: could not find total numbers but found that in november 2012
*Black Ops was #1 with 7 mil
02. Halo 4 (360) Microsoft - 3.2M (Reach and Halo 3 did 3.3 million, but with about half or less the days. I'm unclear on if this counts bundles.)

kinggroin

Banned
This deal was two weeks ago. If you subtracted the added value of Titanfall, the extra controller and 12 months Gold (each item ~60€) the console was basically 264€ with Kinect.

Lets just put it that way. It didn't help to decrease the size of th One mountain in that store signicantly.

Meanwhile when they get their monthly shipment of ~300 PS4 units they are gone in less than 24 hours.

Totally annecdotal I know, but this is how it is in Germany from what I've seen and it is one of the biggest markets in the EU.

Sticker shock

farmerboy

There is no way that Sony (after only getting the NA market back for, like, the first time in 8 yrs) is gonna let that happen without a fight. NA is the single biggest market, Sony will fight tooth and nail to keep it.

The analyst is a cock. Is one price drop all it takes, is it? And Sony wont respond at all? Cmon!!

It could happen, but not because of one price drop.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I don't think that they were going to win more than June-July NPD. Even more, if Sony does a really good E3, they could loose June NPD, with the new SKU included.
They already lost march with Titanfall for free and discounts...

I don't even think June-July are givens. Like you said, in March, the system was available for $450 with the biggest game of the first half of the year bundled in, and people still didn't bite. $400 minus Kinect and with no big piece of software to push it? It's definitely up in the air whether they will even win June.

Pinktaco

So yeah let us forget the following:

- Sony can adjust price/make bundles to compete.
- We know nothing about upcoming games from neither the two of them (2015 and after).
- Sony have tons of indie titles coming their way.
- Current cheap bundles have done nothing to help ms.
- Sony is overall just in a better position, especially after the whole DRM thing.

Titanfall was their biggest contender for the year. I doubt that gears and halo will do much, just as I doubt driveclub and a potential new god of war will do much for Sony.

The order, a new souls game and a new uncharted game? Not to mention whatever media molecule is doing. Those games could do very well.

That's just my opinion though. Who knows what will happen? Maybe gears, forza and fable will continue to drive home the sales along with halo, quantum and sunset overdrive :)

Renekton

The multiplayer was utter crap, but from a quick google search it still sold 9 million. Hopefully they learned from their mistakes, I think Halo still holds significant mindshare in NA.
Also it will be the first Halo for this generation, so most likely all is forgiven.

e.g. People were kinda fatigued with Uncharted 3, but will get excited for U4 on PS4

Price cuts/dropping kinect is not the only step MS has to make, it is one of the many MS have to make to win back consumer mindshare.

fritolay

except it won't. MS's brand name is in the toilet after how bad they botched the xbone.

WIth the general public, it is not in the toilet. However if the general public has early adopter friends that went with PS4, which there are more, they may decide to pick the PS4 up to play against online. This effect is exponential.

Usobuko

Banned
I fear Microsoft missed the boat on Watch Dog and Destiny partnership with Sony would come to bite them in the end. Especially in the case of Destiny.

frizby

I'm not an analyst, but I think the die is cast.

My view is that they took care of their price problem, but they still have a perception problem, namely that their console is percieved as being weaker (because it is) and their strategies look desperate and are all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom