• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One UI vid w/Snap

You can use the snapping feature for Skype right? I think it'd pretty sweet to be able to Skype with someone while playing a game.

schuey7

I saw the Machinima wingman app video and this is the sort of thing I can really use while gaming.I hope this turns out as good as shown.Anyway I think the snap and other os features will eventually work as advertised and its allready looking workable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think that is really great for someone like you that will use the system that way, but I don't think your the norm. People aren't going to stop grabbing their phones or tablets with the Xbox. I think its going to be like Siri where you think hey thats a interesting idea but who actually uses Siri for anything.

This feels like the wiiU gamepad. It is a feature that the creator (Nintendo, MS) hasn't fully illustrated in a way that grabs everyone. That to me is why it feels like a solution in search of a problem. Why are we sitting here trying to figure out why it might be useful? Why haven't MS *shown* us how it could be useful. Just like Nintendo spending two E3s without really explaining why the gamepad was so special (other than off TV play)

Ploid 3.0

Agree, looks nice and we'll done but I see no sense in in searching the Web without pausing the game and in a partial window.

Using PC for games and dual screen there are quite a few uses. Multitasking second nature kicks in and while a game is loading or someone is taking their turn in a fighting game from a online lobby you could just check out some gaf until your time comes. Or watch some netflix movie you had running in the background.

I don't know if this stuff will work as well as a PC but that's what I do constantly. I'd just stick to console on one tv with the PC on the other though. I can brows gaf or watch movies while playing GTAV.

Also I haven't heard much about their tv stuff, which services support Xbox one? Is directv in? It has quite a complex menu system.

This snap stuff must be eating a lot of processing power while running games. I wonder if it's possible to watch HD movies, and stuff while playing the games with no hit. What about web games like UT Live, or something more demanding. Play games while playing games! I once ran two full graphical games on PC when I first got mine. It was interesting.

Huh, are we sure that's not a mock up?

The rumours were painting it as something that was fundamentally broken and wouldn't be fixed until months after launch?

Insider claims were exaggerated or relaying very old information?

Yeah i still cant see the appeal in Snap. Looks like the same function on windows 8 i never use. Having an app, game squiched into a small bar on the right seems stupid to me

jem0208

Huh, are we sure that's not a mock up?

The rumours were painting it as something that was fundamentally broken and wouldn't be fixed until months after launch?

Insider claims were exaggerated or relaying very old information?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was both.

a mockup would be much smoother than that.

I guess. The video from a days ago did look a lot smoother.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was both.

Certainly seems so...

This kind of facetiousness doesn't help anyone.

It was a serious question. The rumours were incredibly damning with claims of console crashes, etc and yet it seems to work reasonably well.

I'm just trying to find out why the reality is so different from the insider leaks.

Thrakier

That's fucking horrible. Who WANTS something like that on a fucking game machine? Why? Why do I need a little internet explorer window next to my game? I'm owning a surface RT which basically works the same and I use it SOMETIMES there, but always in a work context. I can't even imagine how to combine that wih playing games so it makes actually make sense. Even then, my Surface would be just next to me and I wouldn't do it on the TV...

EGM1966

Looks pretty good - better than I expected TBH. I'd almost never use it though, and certainly not like that. I guess I could be a bit of a Luddite but just because I could juggle playing a game with talking to some people vs watching some TV doesn't mean I want to.

Zabant

Guess rumours of this being broken were wrong, seems like its working to me, I mean, i'd never use it as I hate that kind of sensory overload, I like to give my full attention to one thing at a time and cant deal with "Watching F1 and playing Forza at the same time" or some of the other uses suggested in this thread.

But it's there, and I know some people will find some use for it. Cool

Well, leaks go unnoticed if there's no drama. Leakers mostly do it for attention, after all.

Sure, but insider leaks usually have some truth to them and that doesn't seem to be the case here. At all...

I guess they all got bad and/or outdated information.

Sure, but insider leaks usually have some truth to them and that doesn't seem to be the case here. At all...

I guess they all got bad and/or outdated information.

Pretty much wheres there's smoke there's fire..
But if what the OP showed is the problem i would be fine i have an tablet close by
if i need to look something up and i dont really touch the X1 except for gaming.

T.O.P

Banned
That's fucking horrible. Who WANTS something like that on a fucking game machine? Why? Why do I need a little internet explorer window next to my game? I'm owning a surface RT which basically works the same and I use it SOMETIMES there, but always in a work context. I can't even imagine how to combine that wih playing games so it makes actually make sense. Even then, my Surface would be just next to me and I wouldn't do it on the TV...

dude calm down, they're giving you an option, you're not forced to use it jesus

dem Youtube comments tho, ffs =_=

Marvel

could never
Yeah looks good, but god damn there's angry fuckers on YT right? jeez.

Must have got banned form here or something... aha.

Tabular

Banned
The rumors of snap crashing games might still be true. Just because one game is running without a crash for a few minutes doesn't really prove much.

Prine

Banned
Looks slick and I can see it being useful once a talented game dev gets to play with it. Kojima could use that to top his "code on the back of the CD case" trick.

If nothing else its potential, and I'm fine with that.

Can't wait for the 22nd... Need this console now!!

eoa-swam

It's kinda odd that the snapped IE window doesn't respond content to it's size. You still get a full width browser window, but you only see a portion of it.

T.O.P

Banned
They are not just giving an option, they are spending ressources on that. Do you think that just happens by itself? ;)

but there are people who like it and might have a use for this

i see this come in handy especially for fighting games, when i want to give a quick look to a combo inputs etc.

or even when i'm aiting in a lobby for more players and i don't have my tablet with me

Zabant

Holy hell those youtube comments, disgusting, no wonder there has been talk of a complete overhaul.

Is it all people that have been banned from here? they all mention specific mods and members, crazy.

Marvel

could never
I actually don't have a tablet or smart phone yet so this snap feature providing it doesn't crash a lot could be really good for me.

consoul

My 7 year old television can do side-by-side of two inputs at the push of a button.
It's not a feature I ever got too excited about.

Stimpack

Looked kind of alright to me. Would like to see more of the system. That said, I dislike the Xbox because of the way they handle themselves and the directions that they want to take the industry in, not because of their hardware or software. Sadly the latter is a relatively easy fix compared to the former.

Rndm

To me it looked weird that the game was still running but you weren't attacked (not going into the pause menu). Was that like a training mode of Killer Instinct or does the game 'know' when you're using a different app and stays open, but does not really do anything until you're back at the game; like the game pauses but doesn't show a pause menu?

Alx

To me it looked weird that the game was still running but you weren't attacked (not going into the pause menu). Was that like a training mode of Killer Instinct or does the game 'know' when you're using a different app and stays open, but does not really do anything until you're back at the game; like the game pauses but doesn't show a pause menu?

The video was probably taken from one of the demo setups that are used for the Xbox tour, and KI is only playable in versus mode in those (no CPU player). So the characters stop attacking only because the people who made the video stopped pushing buttons. ;)

LowerLevel

This. Remeber simcity, wait 'till it hits the market.

Serious question, were the issues of SimCity documented before or after release? I only ask because the MS team theoretically still have time to make this feature better BEFORE "it hit's the market".

Thrakier

but there are people who like it and might have a use for this

i see this come in handy especially for fighting games, when i want to give a quick look to a combo inputs etc.

or even when i'm aiting in a lobby for more players and i don't have my tablet with me

You see, you kinda described why that feature is shit.

1. You have a tablet

2. only a very specialized usage scenario

In reality, you will use it once to try it out and then a 2nd time within very rare cirumcstances. BUT the whole system is CONSTANTLY giving ressources to that. Isn't that amazing? It'just like MS didn't think or ONE second what their product is supposed to be. Why should someone buy a game console to dive into beautiful immersive gaming worlds just to have only 3/4 of the screen with the internet explorer next to it.

Which brings me to the next problem. Surfing the INternet. With Internet Explorer. With a controller. From a couch. Wow, that is great, isn't it?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
From Septic who is still waiting to be authorised after 5 months of waiting (come on guys give the man a break) You never know, he might have more stuff like this! :) Another possible insider would be welcome here on GAF ... no?

Anyway here are the pictures he took:

5xkuDx3.jpg

P3m17sH.jpg

This feels like the wiiU gamepad. It is a feature that the creator (Nintendo, MS) hasn't fully illustrated in a way that grabs everyone. That to me is why it feels like a solution in search of a problem. Why are we sitting here trying to figure out why it might be useful? Why haven't MS *shown* us how it could be useful. Just like Nintendo spending two E3s without really explaining why the gamepad was so special (other than off TV play)

Common sense should dictate that, I'm afraid. The basic idea is that you want to be able to do something without being dragged entirely out of one experience and into another, as it's done on the 360. This offers a way to have two distinctly different experiences going at the same exact time with the user being able to seamlessly interact with either one. I don't need some canned, and badly acted demonstration of how it can be useful. I already know how, and Microsoft themselves have already shown some of the ways it can be used, conveniently accompanied by bad acting. :p

Watching a football game? Maybe you want to snap fantasy football, or head to espn site to take a look at scores. Playing a game, want to stop and tell some people on twitter about it? Snap twitter, tweet, and then go back to your game. I mean, it's so easy to find how it would be useful. You can even Skype and chat with a friend while you're busy editing a video in upload studio. You and a friend can both be watching the same movie on your xbox ones, but have a Skype video chat open on the side so you guys can talk about what you're seeing. You are playing a game of killer instinct, and then you can snap and start a twitch broadcast is the way I believe that worked. Or what's to stop you from twitch live streaming a game of Ryse SP? Microsoft has already shown a multitude of ways for it work. The rest is really up to common sense after that.

The Xbox One OS really does look nice. Can't wait, man.

LeBoef

i am always reading while a game loads or i am at grinding. going to love that feature since i can snap in, read a bit, snap out, etc

some games dont demand much of your brain sometimes. thats were i do things besides it.

Top Bottom