• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One vs PS4 - Comparison Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said PS4 would not have dedicated servers. Offering to subsidize the servers is the advantage.

From everything I've seen it's far less of a subsidization and much more of a discount

Subsiding something implies to me that the one providing the subsidy isn't making money

MS certainly will still make money off of devs using Azure just with somewhat smaller profits

BigDug13

I never said PS4 would not have dedicated servers. Offering to subsidize the servers is the advantage.

We've heard about them offering to subsidize the servers on a game that is exclusive to MS. Have we heard from any multiplat developers at all that they're getting subsidized dedicated server support?

bootski

great table but if you were coming into this without any bias and just wanted a game machine, the starter pak pricing is the one that I think is gonna really hurt the XB1. 509 without a camera? at launch? with a game? i'll do that all day.

Can anyone clarify on whether or not PS4 will be incorporating the blutooth 4.0 update? Also curious about that Wifi-direct response time, it sounds pretty nice actually. (not that I've had any issue playing PS3 games, and won't really matter because we'll only be playing against other PS4 players).

Gowans

great table but if you were coming into this without any bias and just wanted a game machine, the starter pak pricing is the one that I think is gonna really hurt the XB1. 509 without a camera? at launch? with a game? i'll do that all day.

yeah that was the seed of why I made a table, it really crystallizes things, should have done it sooner.

I did this just for myself, wow.

XfjoK7m.png

The gap is widening. The PS4 is now $100.01 cheaper :p

But yeah without camera, thats a hefty price advantage.

shinnn

why sony didn't upgraded the bluetooth? Isn't 3.0 standard now?

And the Xbox One wi-fi is dual band. Don't know about the PS4.

Steroyd

Isn't Below a download only title?

I only ask because* if it is wouldn't that open the door to include Octodad and Hohokeinheim (how the fuck you spell it!?) etc.

*PS list somehow got depressingly smaller last I looked at it lmao.

Amir0x

Banned
Isn't Below a download only title?

I only ask because* if it is wouldn't that open the door to include Octodad and Hohokeinheim (how the fuck you spell it!?) etc.

*PS list somehow got depressingly smaller last I looked at it lmao.

A game comparison right now is moot. It may open the doors for some of Sony's indie games, but more than anything the comparison is pointless so trying to "bottom of the barrel" for some games to fit the criteria of exclusive for Sony is a fruitless exercise. You can't compare a system that has 85-90% of its first year exclusives revealed vs. a system that has only 25-30% of its first year stuff revealed. Especially considering Sony has 20 first year PS4 exclusives coming versus 15 for Microsoft.

DBT85

why sony didn't upgraded the bluetooth? Isn't 3.0 standard now?

And the Xbox One wi-fi is dual band. Don't know about the PS4.
I think I read something about BT2.1having a lower latency than the later revisions. But I can't remember where.

As for the WiFi, I thought I saw something about the Xbone having 2.4 and 5 but again can't remember where. The PS4 that just went through the FCC only had 2.4. 5 is pants in my house anyway and I'm wired but clearly I'm not everybody.

No word on if the PS4 does WiFi direct or not.

I have zero interest in getting an XB1, but I wouldn't mind having a PS4. Hell, I'm thinking about buying that GTAV PS3 bundle. I primarily game on PC, but I had a PS3 until it broke in 2009. Wouldn't mind catching up on all of the stuff I've missed between then and now.

Amir0x

Banned
Gamescom will clears things up a bit I guess.

If it doesn't, it means Sony's pre-TGS show will be the most epic show ever in mankind. Got like 15 titles left to reveal for PS4 first year, all of them gonna be in that one show haha

Yeah, I know. Me too. My attachment to "last gen" value dramatically affects my next gen decisions. I've never bought a system at launch, and probably won't again.

I bought a launch PS2. Read its final disc 1 year later to the day. Waited a year after launch to get a PS3. YLOD 3 days shy of one year later. Repaired it through Sony, YLOD 9 months later. I've owned just about every mainstream console since the NES, and I only had those two break on me. I'm very skeptical of hardware within the launch window.

Tripolygon

Banned
Why wouldn't we? Sony hasn't exactly pushed second screen support outside of Vita remote play. The performance of Smartglass compared to PSVita remote play would show the benefits of Wifi Direct if performance is much better. I mentioned how Project Spark would be a good indication of this since it's working as a controller and video screen for that game I believe. That's my point. Is that clearer?
1. RemotePlay is a second screen feature and Sony making it a system level feature rather than developer choice and making developers provide Vita control scheme is pushing second screen.
2. Creating PlayStation App which allows you to browse PSN, download games to PS4, View PSN profile, Watch live streaming videos, Messege friends is also supporting second screen.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Bluetooth latency 200ms? That's what you should be comparing it to, not Wifi vs Wifi.
Remoteplay does not work over bluetooth, it works over Wifi.
People keep going on about Wifi direct when they clearly do not know what it is, it is a software stack in the Wifi standard supported in every certified 802.11n standard. It allows 2 devices to connect with each other without the need for access points (router). It allows for simultaneous connection between 2+ devices while also maintaining an internet connection which cannot be done in adhoc mode. PS4 to Vita remoteplay is via Wifi direct according to Mark Cerny at E3 Latin conference and can also work via router over the internet/local network akin to how remoteplay on PS3 works via adhoc direct connection between PS3 and PSP/PS Vita and over the internet.
Can anyone clarify on whether or not PS4 will be incorporating the blutooth 4.0 update? Also curious about that Wifi-direct response time, it sounds pretty nice actually. (not that I've had any issue playing PS3 games, and won't really matter because we'll only be playing against other PS4 players).
No PS4 does not support BT4.0. BT4.0 data rate is much lower than BT2.1EDR for devices using BLE profile, lower latency but If BLE is not used, throughput is 24Mb/s for Bluetooth 3.0+ via a 802.11 wifi link but higher latency compared to latency of bluetooth 2.1EDR.

Remoteplay does not work over bluetooth, it works over Wifi.
People keep going on about Wifi direct when they clearly do not know what it is, it is a software stack in the Wifi standard supported in every certified 802.11n standard. It allows 2 devices to connect with each other without the need for access points (router). It allows for simultaneous connection between 2+ devices while also maintaining an internet connection which cannot be done in adhoc mode. PS4 to Vita remoteplay is via Wifi direct according to Mark Cerny at E3 Latin conference and also via router over the internet. Remoteplay on PS3 works via adhoc direct connection between PS3 and PSP/PS Vita and over the internet.

I'm not sure if I understand. Wii U's method is not Wi-fi direct then since it communicates with the GamePad via Wi-Fi and uses ANOTHER wi-fi chip for Internet?

Tripolygon

Banned
I'm not sure if I understand. Wii U's method is not Wi-fi direct then since it communicates with the GamePad via Wi-Fi and uses ANOTHER wi-fi chip for Internet?
Its not wifi direct but nintendo claims its their own custom protocol for transmission which is in contrast to what the guys who reverse engineered it say. Nintendo purposefully gave WiiU pad a connection over a separate 5GHz Wifi chipset to avoid possible connection issues considering the Pad is its main controller.

Edit. Its not Wifi direct but it uses a standard wifi chip and encryption method. It uses H.246 compression for the video and Nintendo's custom protocol for transmission.

Why wouldn't we? Sony hasn't exactly pushed second screen support outside of Vita remote play. The performance of Smartglass compared to PSVita remote play would show the benefits of Wifi Direct if performance is much better. I mentioned how Project Spark would be a good indication of this since it's working as a controller and video screen for that game I believe. That's my point. Is that clearer?

But again, trying to replace a dual analog controller with touch screen controls is an abomination.

Nintendo purposefully gave WiiU pad a connection over a separate 5GHz Wifi chipset to avoid possible connection issues considering the Pad is its main controller.

Edit. Its not Wifi direct but it uses a standard wifi chip and encryption method. It uses H.246 compression for the video and Nintendo's custom protocol for transmission. The underlined is wrong.

Mmmh. Is h.246 some sort of low-latency compression method or was it a typo for h.264?
Also, which method is supposedly the best then? Wi-fi direct or the odd Wii U thing?

Tripolygon

Banned
Mmmh. Is h.246 some sort of low-latency compression method or was it a typo for h.264?
Also, which method is supposedly the best then? Wi-fi direct or the odd Wii U thing?
Its h.264 which is pretty much the standard for web videos/portable devices and produces decent quality vs bandwidth ratio. I don't know why they chose that compression method but could be because that is what the hardware encoder they used produces. PS4 video encoder uses the same format and i wouldn't doubt Xbox One using the same format for video sharing and streaming.

I don't know the best method but WiiU Pad has a ridiculous low latency but the video quality is not the best. Sony says they are using Wifi direct and some of their Gaikai tech in there for remote play and I think Microsoft is using Wifi direct with a dual band Wifi chip and i would think some microsoft special sauce.

You could even remove that $60 for an additional game for the PS4 because PS+ gives you a free game at launch and then free games every month for the rest of the year. Nothing like that on Xbox One/XBL Gold.

Not really a free game at launch, if you're referring to Drive Club.

And one could argue that XB1 has a similar offer with Killer Instinct.

Throw in the three indie games for the first month on PS4 as well.

Yeah, I was forgetting those.

You get all the features of the full game with some cars/tracks missing. With KI you get one character...

You get all the features of the game with just one character (they said you can play arcade/story mode and I guess even VS to some extent?).

They're both gimped games that should push you towards the purchase of the full product, or at least some DLCs.

I'm just trying to be as neutral as possible. I don't care about what's better, I'll buy them all anyway just because I can. xD

You have to have a head set and have to have a charge and play?!?!?!?! Wha? I know I want to get a headset, but I don't NEED a headset. Kinect will do that for me.

And play and charge? Meh.. .whatever. I rather use plain batteries. I am always in supply of many double A's, so I don't mind that one bit. I don't NEED a play and charge.

nib95

Banned

XfjoK7m.png

I can't believe Xbox One is actually more than the PS4 lol. I actually expected it to be $50-$100 cheaper lol. It's hilarious that a console with 50% more hardware performance is $100 cheaper lol.

But yea, as a poster above said, with PS+ you don't even need to buy a game. DriveClub, Outlast, Don't Starve, Secret Ponchos and Warframe all free.

XfjoK7m.png
Well the Kinect doesn't have any additional charge, the PS Eye requires PS Moves for the amount of players. Which is something to consider if you're going to evaluate the cameras.
Price is pretty rough for someone who doesn't necessarily care about motion games though.

Krakn3Dfx

Well the Kinect doesn't have any additional charge, the PS Eye requires PS Moves for the amount of players. Which is something to consider if you're going to evaluate the cameras.
Price is pretty rough for someone who doesn't necessarily care about motion games though.

Don't the controllers have some sort of PS Eye functionality built into them? Thought I saw robots jumping out of the DS4 in the tech video or something.

I dunno, Kinect, PS Eye, it's all the same to me, in that I don't want it. Just give me a gamepad, a jar of ice water and a box of tissues and leave me alone.

The light in the controller isn't just for decoration.

Also, the camera tracks your body's movements like Kinect does.

Dunk#7

Since when does the Eye require PS Move controllers? It can track your body movements as well. The Move is just an extra type of input device that is available.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
In the Xbone defense....well not really, but just pointing out.

The Kinect can be used for voice chat correct (playing through speakers this might just be a hinderance, but with Headphones and the Kinect 1 it wasnt bad.

Also the Xbone controller uses AA batteries and a regie USB cable for charging correct.
Get Eneloops(extra cost I know I know) and or just use your usb cable, im sure everyone already has a usb cable, specially if you were a PS3 user before.

Further, what does 1.84TF mean when compared to 1.24TF with Azure cloud processing? Anyone actually know?

PS4 has to have more exclusives than that, lets be serious.

Biker19

Banned
They still expect you to use AAs?

It's 2013

Surely that should be something for that chart too? AA batteries required for the One controller. PS4 controller charges out of the box.

Ugh. I'm so glad that the PS3 made the switch. AAs cost you money over time and it's so much more convenient to just plug your controller in with USB. Also consider the waste.

I agree. I could understand 360 using AA batteries, since the console was first released back in November 2005. But today with Xbox One? LOL.

PS4 has to have more exclusives than that, lets be serious.

They'll be showing off more on Gamescom & on Tokyo Game Show.

Further, what does 1.84TF mean when compared to 1.24TF with Azure cloud processing? Anyone actually know?

According to my math, if you add cloud processing to each side (since both are capable of it and Sony has confirmed they have servers available for developers--rumored to be rented from Amazon), the numbers come out to:

1.84TF for PS4 and 1.24TF for Xbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom