• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One will likely hit 60 Million LTD in the end, what a turn around since 2013! [poll]

Do you think Microsoft turned things around for the brand since 2013?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
It looked pretty bad for a minute there, the DRM fiasco caused quite a stir before the consoles release.

Luckily for gamers, these polices were reversed, but the effects of the original "vision" still impacted sales later on. Sure, the launch was ok but it fell from there. Kinect was still going to be bundled with ever consoles, you still had to be online at least ONE time to even use the machine. It still took a year to release in most second priority countries, and Xbox was chasing others idea with experiments like Smart Glass.

While it wasn't a perfect turn around, especially with the mess the current team had to deal with, it is definitely a major turn around that I think can't be denied. More money in gaming revenue than ever before, tons of good will, great innovations like Gamepass, and momentum going into their next console.

Who in 2013 or even 2015 though that the console and the company would turn things around to a point where we will likely see a Xbox One LTD of 60 million consoles sold at minimum? Back then, everyone would laugh, but they somehow managed to do it. Looking at NPD and GFK data after the 41 million announcement we are looking at over 45 million now. That will be near 50 by September, which is the start of Xbox One's best selling quarter, likely doing over 50 million by January 2020. I suspect that 2021 we will see around a 60 million LTD due to price drops.

It's completely different from the losing competitor this generation the Wii U, where the attempts to salvage it all failed and left it with less than 15 million sold. This was what people though Microsoft would be at BEFORE the DRM reversals, and in the first couple years people were still expecting maybe 30 max. But now we are looking at a potential 60 million or over in sales. That's a pretty good turn around.

If things are done right for the next Xbox maybe we will see 360 level numbers again!

Probably something like that yeah, which isn’t too bad considering the damage they did 6 years ago. Still gave Sony 20 million customers for free though which will be hard to get back now, especially with the rise of ecosystems / digital / back compat etc.

Next gen Xbox really needs to impress if it is to make any real strides.

I'm happy to hear the Xbox numbers have been good. I still hope microsoft incentivises people to buy an Xbox in the first place. Xbox should have exclusive content so you have a reason to buy one. If the PC has all the Xbox games, free Xbox live, and far more customization and better looking graphics why buy Xbox?

Three

Gold Member
"Looking at NPD and GFK data after the 41 million announcement we are looking at over 45 million now. That will be near 50 by September, which is the start of Xbox One's best selling quarter, likely doing over 50 million by January 2020. I suspect that 2021 we will see around a 60 million LTD due to price drops."

extrapolating.png

Vawn

Banned
I'm surprised you even put a No option on your polls where you've already told everyone the answer.

I vote no. Your numbers are way off and wishful thinking too.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Not yet and we won't tell until next gen imo but they seem to be making some positive moves.

DanielsM

Banned
My bet (guess) is less then (or around) 50m units in 7 years from release November 2020. We're easily back to the original Xbox levels of weak sales rates on an annually basis, would not be surprised by continuing weak sales as they release the ability to play Xbox titles on PC and Xbox Two announcement, and supporting other platforms i.e. Steam, Switch, etc. If they turned things around, sales would be at least holding steadying, they continue to go down year over year in units. (I'll hold off a little in case, they release a $100 Xbox One, you might get a spike of a few million units but ultimately it doesn't change much)

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The X1 is over 5 years old, and the existing sales include the re-purchases when the X1S and the X1X launched (admittedly, this factors in the PS4 sales too if I'm not mistaken).

41M in 5 years, but another 20M in the 1-2 years between now and the next Xbox console?

giphy.gif

Deuterion

Consoles sold is irrelevant when the exclusive content is Gears of War 20, Forza 17, Halo 15, Sea of Thieves, and Crackdown.

-MD-

Of course they've improved since 2013, there was nowhere to go but up.

30 steps back, 2 steps forward.

Codes 208

The X1 is over 5 years old, and the existing sales include the re-purchases when the X1S and the X1X launched (admittedly, this factors in the PS4 sales too if I'm not mistaken).

41M in 5 years, but another 20M in the 1-2 years between now and the next Xbox console?

giphy.gif
Pretty much this. It was pretty telling when me switched to focusing more on software and cross-platforms get than hardware.

Not that thats a bad thing, I’m anxiously awaiting the xb4, but holy shit did they drop the ball this gen.

Codes 208

oh come on now. why do you hate MS?
He’s not wrong though. The switch is already over half of it’s LTD in half of the time so it’s not like MS will boost sales of about 50% within the next 2 years. Especially when it’s biggest claim to fame (MCC) is now coming to pc alongside it’s already big hitters like forza and gears.

The rate at which the XB1 is selling and the anticipation of next gen announcements make it impossible for the XB1 to hit the 60 million milestone.

DanielsM

Banned
The rate at which the XB1 is selling and the anticipation of next gen announcements make it impossible for the XB1 to hit the 60 million milestone.

That is what is so funny, Microsoft would rather they just downloaded games from the Microsoft Store and play on their Win10 PC. Console sales are there until they can move all these users over, they really don't care if they sell hardware.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Pretty much this. It was pretty telling when me switched to focusing more on software and cross-platforms get than hardware.

Not that thats a bad thing, I’m anxiously awaiting the xb4, but holy shit did they drop the ball this gen.
Yeah, everyone is banking on some "late gen sales" to magically save face for the Xbox brand.

The late-gen surge of sales is fairly uncommon, usually reserved for only the highest-selling consoles. Neither Xbox nor Gamecube nor Dreamcast nor N64 nor Saturn nor Wii U nor any other "low"-selling consoles enjoyed a late-gen surge of 50% of the lifetime sales, which is what is being suggested here.

HarryKS

Is that considered a success after the previous iteration clearly outclassed/outsold it by enormous margins?

Kudos to them sticking with it, but if you look at the bigger picture, the policies might have changed and they might be selling you this new happy gamer king image but the games still aren't there.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
That is what is so funny, Microsoft would rather they just downloaded games from the Microsoft Store and play on their Win10 PC. Console sales are there until they can move all these users over, they really don't care if they sell hardware.

Why is that funny? Microsoft’s Xbox division is certainly not their primary source of revenue. If fact, I’m not even certain it has ever turned much of a net profit since they created it.

Barakov

They've definitely made progress but overall the XB1 is still a hot mess. The X1S and the X1X have helped things but they're still on the backfoot when it comes things like exclusives(there's some games still that don't come out on Xbox) and usability(the metro UI is still a POS).

onQ123

Switch will most likely hit 60 million before Xbox One and it came out over 3 years later & PS4 will be over 120 million by then so I'm not sure what this turn around that you speak of is about.

Mista

Banned
In a better place? Definitely. Turned things around? Not yet. Got to wait for next-gen. I’d be happy if they do, I’m mainly gaming on Xbox

Leonidas

They definately turned things around in my eyes. The console wasn't attractive to me at all at launch but offering the console at a lower price in 2014 lured me in and BC has kept me around for the long haul. X has been pretty cool too.
They've also acquired a number of first party studios who have produced games that I have really enjoyed in the past so I'm hopeful things will be even better in the future.

DanielsM

Banned
Why is that funny? Microsoft’s Xbox division is certainly not their primary source of revenue. If fact, I’m not even certain it has ever turned much of a net profit since they created it.

Profits, lol, they're most probably billions in the red and maybe 10s of billions. Microsoft does not account for gaming profits/losses in their financials, never really did, but about 7-8 years ago they were claiming Xbox was making a quarterly profit, but than financial people started digging and found they were masking the losses. (I posted more information in a thread the other day)

Huge Xbox losses hidden by patent royalties, says analyst

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...osses-hidden-by-patent-royalties-says-analyst

Xbox is no longer a division, what people referred to as Xbox was the Computing and Gaming Hardware division. In 2015, MS moved this group to the Windows group (More Personal Computing official name). The Xbox Store products were moved to the Microsoft Store in 2016. MS reshuffled again last year and now Xbox is across multiple divisions. MS does give revenue numbers for Gaming but it doesn't give profit or losses and probably couldn't tell you from where the expenses are at this point.

Hide the losses because investors would be screaming to shut it down.

That change will make it harder to pry hard data from some segments. Under the earlier reporting format, for instance, the Computing and Gaming Hardware group -- Xbox and Surface, primarily -- recorded revenue of $1.9 billion in the June quarter for a gross margin of 22%, signaling the difficulty of producing profit on devices. By tossing that into the same bin as the high-margin Windows business, it will be impossible to get a sense of whether, say, the Surface line is making or losing money.

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...o-three-business-for-financial-reporting.html

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Profits, lol, they're most probably billions in the red and maybe 10s of billions. Microsoft does not account for gaming profits/losses in their financials, never really did, but about 7-8 years ago they were claiming Xbox was making a quarterly profit, but than financial people started digging and found they were masking the losses. (I posted more information in a thread the other day)

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...osses-hidden-by-patent-royalties-says-analyst

Xbox is no longer a division, what people referred to as Xbox was the Computing and Gaming Hardware division. In 2015, MS moved this group to the Windows group (More Personal Computing official name). The Xbox Store products were moved to the Microsoft Store in 2016. MS reshuffled again last year and now Xbox is across multiple devices. MS does give revenue numbers for Xbox but it doesn't give profit or losses and probably couldn't tell you from where the expenses are at this point.

Hide the losses because investors would be screaming to shut it down.

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...o-three-business-for-financial-reporting.html

I think most people are aware that the Xbox division is overall deep in the red. It was just a couple of years ago that many investors were clamoring for them to close the division, but it doesn’t seem they’ve given up on the project, only refocused to PC and streaming.

DanielsM

Banned
I think most people are aware that the Xbox division is overall deep in the red. It was just a couple of years ago that many investors were clamoring for them to close the division, but it doesn’t seem they’ve given up on the project, only refocused to PC and streaming.

Nadella is the Cloud Boy, all goes to the cloud -> eventually.

Physical media -> mixed physical/digital media -> all digit (locally processed) -> mixed locally/cloud processed -> all cloud processed

Generally they are moving the herd to digital while their cloud services are still being rolled out (still being developed), than they can move the locally processed digital user to the cloud for processing as they rollout the services i.e. game streaming, virtual desktops, win32/uwp application layers, etc. 1st step get the cattle off of physical media completely, maybe even offer a physical to digital swap.

Once the processing is all in the cloud they can manage it all from there, and sell by subscription - then they can start putting in the end of life notices to Windows/Xbox hardware users. (many moons from now, but they need to pickup the pace)

Last edited:

Leonidas

they didnt turn the ship for the xone. the xone is dead. the platform has nearly no fucking games.

they turneing the ship for next system tho

PS Vita is dead. Wii U is dead.

Xbox One is selling millions of units a year and get's all the major third party games and has a new model coming soon. Far from dead.

DanielsM

Banned

Xbox One is selling millions of units a year and get's all the major third party games and has a new model coming soon. Far from dead.

They're inching into deadman walking area, if they official the release the ability to play Xbox games on PC, plus them supporting other services/hardware platforms i.e. Steam, Switch, etc. There is starting to become less and less reasons to own that hardware (Xbox as a Console), and potentially there is limited reasons why the big developers/publishers would target a Xbox Two going forward, because really what they would be targeting is Windows 10, which most of them already are through other win32 distribution channels.

Last edited:

i absolutely dont give a shit. its a vacant piece of hardware. i will consider it a pc. because quite frankly it has the most pathetic exclusives library of any system I can remember.

Leonidas

Their inching into deadman walking area, if they official release the ability to play Xbox games on PC, plus them supporting other services/hardware platforms i.e. Steam, Switch, etc. There is starting to become less and less reasons to own that hardware, and potentially there is limited reasons why the big developers/publishers would target a Xbox Two.
That thought is repeated on forums all the time but Xbox is still selling millions of units a year.

Leonidas

i absolutely dont give a shit. its a vacant piece of hardware. i will consider it a pc. because quite frankly it has the most pathetic exclusives library of any system I can remember.
Okay, so it doesn't have games you like and you could buy a PC to play MS exclusives. Doesn't change the fact that Xbox is still selling(unlike those two dead systems which launched a year before it) millions of units a year with all the major third party games. Not everyone is going to buy a gaming rig to play MS exclusives.

ethomaz

Banned
That thought is repeated on forums all the time but Xbox is still selling millions of units a year.
If millions you mean 6-8m every year yes but if you look the competition it is around 16-20m every year.

40m in 5 years is nothing to grab about.

Last edited:
The only way this will happen is if Xbox slashed the price to $199 by August or October. This year 2019.

Followed by 2020 Holiday deals of around $150 or more if there's gift cards or free game bundles.

Does Microsoft want to bleed money for only 20 million more sales?

Fairly certain. The answer is no. It will hit 50 though.

DanielsM

Banned

They were selling millions of Windows Phones, heck 10s of millions a year. Its not like one year of down sales... they don't really care about the hardware sales, they care about you buying games/software off the MS Store, or if you have to off of Steam or some other digital service. Xbox as a console is over, generally speaking, welcome to services i.e Xbox as a Platform Service.

Eventually, many years from now, they'll offer all the services to run all of your Windows/Xbox games/programs from the cloud for a subscription either via virtualized desktop, streaming or application layer, etc.

They are already offering some of these service, many years to build everything out and move everyone.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/virtual-desktop/

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The only way this will happen is if Xbox slashed the price to $199 by August or October. This year 2019.

Followed by 2020 Holiday deals of around $150 or more if there's gift cards or free game bundles.

Does Microsoft want to bleed money for only 20 million more sales?

Fairly certain. The answer is no. It will hit 50 though.
Do you mean slash to $150? Because it is being sold around $199 for almost a year already.

Last edited:
Do you mean slash to $150? Because it is being sold around $199 for almost a year already.

No It's not. At least not in the US new.

Official drop could work. If Microsoft was crazy and wanted to bleed money for the first digit of a double digit number to bump up twice.

But Microsoft will likely just ride the wave to 50 and keep profits high. No point in losong money for a insignificant sales increase of 10 million more.

TLZ

Banned
I think they did turn things around compared to where they were going previously with their messaging, but I'm also yet to see tangible results. So hopefully with Xbox 2.

Top Bottom