• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

I still don't buy that Microsoft listened to the fans. My guess remains that Microsoft listened to the pre-orders and when they saw that pre-orders were far below expectations they attempted to right the ship.

If pre-order sales had met or exceeded expectations, there is no way in hell they would have adjusted their policies.
That is listening to consumers though.

Amir0x

Banned
I dont work for Sony but i can confirm that Kinect dos not need to be connected to the PS4 to make it work. I hope thats enough...

Hahah it's amazing, all Microsoft is doing is playing catch up to PS4 and it still manages reactions like that. I'm glad Microsoft is doing this, but give me a break lol

Ovid

The system can still send data over Ethernet or wifi.

Even if you disconnect it completely, it might be storing the info somewhere in the cache ready to be sent whenever the system gets online.

Don't be fooled by this.
Oh stop it already.

BigDug13

no, the xbox 360 had the superior online and the vast majority of multiplayer games had higher frame rates / resolution than the ps3 games.

Yet people still paid $500 to $600 vs $300-$400.

That was for the Sony exclusives and Blu-ray capability or simply Playstation's incredible worldwide brand strength. Are you saying the same will happen to Xbox this time as the weaker multiplat system for greater price? Because their first party exclusives are not at the same level.

I think he means free-to-play games.

They are free to play.

Project Spark is free and you can buy extra items / brains for the game to use in your levels.

KI can be played online and through the entire campaign with Jago. You can buy characters either piecemeal or the entire game at once (it's not exactly free to play though as there's no mechanism to invest time to get points to unlock the other characters which is generally what exists in F2P games, but more of a complete demo)

World of Tanks is F2P in the traditional sense, but I thought it was coming to 360 only (maybe X1 port later?).

On top of that, devs like Warframe have talked about that they are now looking into publishing their games on X1 after the indie policy change.

The system can still send data over Ethernet or wifi.

Even if you disconnect it completely, it might be storing the info somewhere in the cache ready to be sent whenever the system gets online.

Don't be fooled by this.

HOLY CRAP, PEOPLE. HOLY CRAP.

ToyBroker

Banned
I love all the people saying "your move Sony" as if Sony has to do anything.

All these "moves" by MS are just making them one step closer to parity with the PS4, lol.

RedSwirl

I part of me wants to wait until the new Kinect is released and in consumers' hands before I completely condemn it.

So kinect is still needed for the majority of the system. I don't know why you guys get so hyped about this, we've known about settings to turn off the kinect during games. But then you won't be able to use skype or whatever else is needed for kinect. I still believe Kinect is the system. Until they give us the option to completely not need kinect for anything, I'm out still.

Hahaha what? How can you use Skype without a camera?!
The Kinect is required for features that use motion/voice, how is that not understandable?

FeiRR

Banned
There are a lot of possible implementations for Kinect voice commands in core games besides "grenade!"
Which would work fine with that cheap headset they're including now with every console. You don't need an expensive camera for them. But that would be too user friendly for Microsoft.

farisr

So kinect is still needed for the majority of the system. I don't know why you guys get so hyped about this, we've known about settings to turn off the kinect during games. But then you won't be able to use skype or whatever else is needed for kinect. I still believe Kinect is the system. Until they give us the option to completely not need kinect for anything, I'm out still.

It's going to only be needed for Kinect games, and stuff like Skype (you know, the thing that required a camera and a microphone).

You can navigate menus on the xbox one, play regular core games, all with the controller. And TV would work as well, just no voice commands, so you'd have to use a controller to switch inputs, and to change channels use the remote for the cable box.

ToyBroker

Banned
It's going to only be needed for Kinect games, and stuff like Skype (you know, the thing that required a camera and a microphone).

You can navigate menus on the xbox one, play regular core games, all with the controller. And TV would work as well, just no voice commands, so you'd have to use a controller to switch inputs, and to change channels use the remote for the cable box.

You have no idea what Kinect is ONLY needed for so saying shit like this just comes off badly.

farisr

Which would work fine with that cheap headset they're including now with every console. You don't need an expensive camera for them. But that would be too user friendly for Microsoft.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Kinect itself have specific on-board sound chips that handle enhanced voice recognition.

FinKL

Great news, was worried this wasn't the case, but glad they came around to the "what if it fell and broke" scenario.

The Kinect is required for features that use motion/voice, how is that not understandable?

Skype was made famous NOT for video chat, but for VOICE chat. And all Xbox Ones come with a headset.

AND Skype works well for TEXT chat, too.

But yes, let's lock out Skype because ONE of the three means of communication is unplugged.

HyperV

Banned
We still believe in Kinect. We aren’t interested in splitting the development base. The more demos I’ve seen, the more I’ve used it – the more impressed I am. The team feels strongly about Kinect, and I hope we’re able to prove that when you use it.

We also have a ton of privacy settings to allow people to turn off the camera, or microphones, or put it in a state just for “Xbox On” and IR blasting – there will be a lot of user control for that.

The thing we all understood, and hence this change, is that there are some scenarios where people just may not be comfortable. We wanted people to be 100% comfortable, so we allow the sensor to be unplugged. And clearly the “it dropped” scenario is possible.

The most obvious thing is watching a DVD/BD, or streaming a movie, or HDMI pass-through, your experience isn’t impacted (except you miss voice and IR blasting)

There is no “gotcha”, but obviously, if there is a game that REQUIRES Kinect (like Rivals), or something where Kinect IS the experience (like Skype), those won’t work.

That said, for people who have privacy concerns there are user control settings, which we believe are great.

Thanks for the feedback, Albert, much appreciated. Please stay the course and keep Kinect in there! No 180's on that, please.

Striek

Nice.

The sales projections post-E3 must have been dreadful for MS with all these changes. This all but confirms a Kinect-less SKU will appear to me. Like 100%, no doubt about it. MS are seeing the Xbox One fail and they're taking step after step to avoid it.

I still don't buy that Microsoft listened to the fans. My guess remains that Microsoft listened to the pre-orders and when they saw that pre-orders were far below expectations they attempted to right the ship.

If pre-order sales had met or exceeded expectations, there is no way in hell they would have adjusted their policies.

Who do you think is pre-ordering these things? The fans, maybe?

How insane would a $350-$400 Kinect-less XBO be before launch? The pre-order changes alone would be a nightmare for retailers.

This won't happen.

Yeah, that won't happen.

Honestly, what I think is way more likely is they bring back the subsidized console plan that was rumored but never happened. $299 with a 3 year Gold subscription.

Alx

More choice is good news. Mine is going to be plugged in anyway.

After all that noise, I wonder how many X1 owners will bother plugging it in and out depending on their needs... I'd bet that most people will just keep it always connected out of laziness.

Kinyou

Skype was made famous NOT for video chat, but for VOICE chat. And all Xbox Ones come with a headset.

AND Skype works well for TEXT chat, too.

But yes, let's lock out Skype because ONE of the three means of communication is unplugged.
you were really excited about skyping with your xbox one, huh?

They are free to play.
So you don't need Gold? If true then I'm more than happy to be corrected here.

Hell, I'm even flexible on this. But I think that if a Gold sub is required for a free-to-play game than those games should come with special starter packs that are more than you'd get if you started on a truly free multiplayer platform. So a Gold starter kit worth, what $10 of in-game currency items more than you'd get on PC? I could work with that.

Fox Mulder

Who cares why they did it. The console isn't out yet and they're improving it for the better. It took years for Sony to steer out of the shit they sailed into with the ps3 launch. Sony went from "lol, get two jobs" to the darlings they are seen as today.

MS is in business to sell things and make money, they laid out their plan and people said fuck off. Good on them for seeing this and making changes.

"Kinect" and "camera" are not the same thing. Skype works on other devices without Kinect. Neither are "Kinect" and "microphone". I don't expect (or care it) Microsoft ever allows normal cameras to be used with the Xbox, but obviously they could.

The Kinect requirement for voice commands, on the other hand, has been questioned since its inception, and rightfully so. It's exceptionally stupid on a system that already supported, and indeed shipped with, a microphone.

farisr

You have no idea what Kinect is ONLY needed for so saying shit like this just comes off badly.

Really? Albert's post spelled it out pretty clearly. Kinect is going to be needed for things like skype and kinect-only games. Regular games will not require it (again in his post), stuff like TV, Bluray/DVD will not require it (again in his post) and MS at E3 confirmed you can navigate the xbox interface only using the controller if you want.

So now, it's not shit. It's what's known. You just come off badly for making such a post.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Screw the hate MS keep Kinect 2 bundled! Distiguish yourself, K2 seems to be amazing, don't fucking cave in.

Skype and all your proprietary experiences will add a lot more prestige and perceived value to the X1 than the gfx difference people will see between you and your rival.

Don't lose focus! Don't cave, screw the kinect hate I want it!

IF you drop the price keep the fucking kinect! lol

Top Bottom