• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

HyperV

Banned
What if Microsoft makes a $399, but it still includes the Kinect?

What then?

Yep, sooner or later, the price will drop. You want the XB1 for $399? Then wait.

Take out Kinect and what's the USP for XB1 then? HDMI IN? Halo 5? Windows 8 apps? Beyond that it becomes a more powerful version of the 360. That's......great. Sorry, call me a greedy bugger but I want more.

As for 'there are no games that use it', well DUH!! Were still 4 months away from launch. How about we give the Developers time to get their hands on the hardware and create those games?

There's a lot more to Kinect then waving your arms around in the air. Comparison with the previous version aren't valid, Kinect 2.0 is in a different league compared to the 1st version.

Moofers

We still believe in Kinect. We aren’t interested in splitting the development base. The more demos I’ve seen, the more I’ve used it – the more impressed I am. The team feels strongly about Kinect, and I hope we’re able to prove that when you use it.

We also have a ton of privacy settings to allow people to turn off the camera, or microphones, or put it in a state just for “Xbox On” and IR blasting – there will be a lot of user control for that.

The thing we all understood, and hence this change, is that there are some scenarios where people just may not be comfortable. We wanted people to be 100% comfortable, so we allow the sensor to be unplugged. And clearly the “it dropped” scenario is possible.

The most obvious thing is watching a DVD/BD, or streaming a movie, or HDMI pass-through, your experience isn’t impacted (except you miss voice and IR blasting)

There is no “gotcha”, but obviously, if there is a game that REQUIRES Kinect (like Rivals), or something where Kinect IS the experience (like Skype), those won’t work.

That said, for people who have privacy concerns there are user control settings, which we believe are great.

Great reply! There are a lot of crazy rumors and crazier assumptions flying about, so this decision is a fantastic way to put those to rest without directly acknowledging them. It also assures us that we can still play games in the event that our kinect breaks or is left at home when traveling.

We still believe in Kinect. We aren’t interested in splitting the development base. The more demos I’ve seen, the more I’ve used it – the more impressed I am. The team feels strongly about Kinect, and I hope we’re able to prove that when you use it.

We also have a ton of privacy settings to allow people to turn off the camera, or microphones, or put it in a state just for “Xbox On” and IR blasting – there will be a lot of user control for that.

The thing we all understood, and hence this change, is that there are some scenarios where people just may not be comfortable. We wanted people to be 100% comfortable, so we allow the sensor to be unplugged. And clearly the “it dropped” scenario is possible.

The most obvious thing is watching a DVD/BD, or streaming a movie, or HDMI pass-through, your experience isn’t impacted (except you miss voice and IR blasting)

There is no “gotcha”, but obviously, if there is a game that REQUIRES Kinect (like Rivals), or something where Kinect IS the experience (like Skype), those won’t work.

That said, for people who have privacy concerns there are user control settings, which we believe are great.

Should probably add this to the OP.

Sony listened to the fans etc and we got what we wanted in the PS4.

It has taken a while and a lot of moaning but I am glad Microsoft is listening to the fans...

Now make a Viva Piñata and ill buy your system...

derFeef

As soon as MS unbundles Kinect the Xbox One will officially be a PS4-lite and there will be practically no reason to buy it other than a handful of exclusive 1st party games (which mainstream consumers don't care about).

What is the point in trying to copy PS4 so closely? Really shows Microsoft has no confidence in the platform they envisioned or they feel price war is going to compel them to unbundle Kinect eventually. Can't win by being a follower.

-.-
This is getting weirder every day, I tell you.

Mileena

Banned
$399 SKU guaranteed. No reason they'd tell us we don't need it yet still force the shit tech on every consumer for no reason other than to boost the price.

Artorias

Banned
Who is we, are you representing the whole forum? Nice to meet you mister NeoGAF.
Don't you agree that if a Kinect-less XB1 priced at 299 gets revealed it would "win" (sales wise)from the competition solely because of the price? Tell me it ain't so.
And with all those 180 it would be logical for them to reveal a kinect-less XB1, it's not guaranteed but still possible.

LOL, you're taking wishful thinking to a new level.

Get your head out of the Cloud™.

Major B.S.

Neo Member
It is great that they are listening and changing stuff. It is not so great that they aren't acknowledging that they are listening because they screwed up. It's like they are a used car salesman who is constantly changing his story while trying to make a Pinto look like a Cadillac.

Also this: I STILL FUNCTION!!!

Gartooth

No way we get $399 Xbox this year, otherwise I'm willing to bet MS will lose a lot of sales of $499 Xbox they would otherwise be making.

quickwhips

As soon as MS unbundles Kinect the Xbox One will officially be a PS4-lite and there will be practically no reason to buy it other than a handful of exclusive 1st party games (which mainstream consumers don't care about).

What is the point in trying to copy PS4 so closely? Really shows Microsoft has no confidence in the platform they envisioned or they feel price war is going to compel them to unbundle Kinect eventually. Can't win by being a follower.

I totally agree. MS don't know what to do.

Honestly this is worse. Now it really feels like a waste of money if I don't even need it. Not that I thought it was truly required, but this confirms it. Hopefully they announce a Kinect-less SKU that's cheaper.

Silky

Banned
But plenty more do. Why not sell to both sides? I should not be forced to buy one if it is not required.

Why would someone buy an inferior console at the same price as a superior console? That's what the kinect is for. Adding more worth to the purchase IMO

Then again I've yet to see a visually impressive game on the PS4 as visually impressive as something on the PC, so what the hell do I know about console superiority!

Does all of this backtracking actually work on you guys? It worries me when people respond with "now I can get an Xbox." I would hate for the take-away from this to be "we can pull whatever the hell we want, as long as we reverse it if people are not willing to swallow it."

Akai__

They will probably announce a non-Kinect bundle soon. At least, I hope so.

Looking forward to Gamescom and PAX, hope they have other good news for us.

Great news.

I'm hoping you guys can ride the storm of negative opinion and keep the Kinect bundled so can really use it knowing its standard. I personally believe there's lot of potential so I'm excited for it. But hopefully you guys will be showing us all more of the benefits that come with having Kinect soon..

Thanks a lot Albert. Really nice to see that you guys are giving us the option to decide if we want to have Kinect plugged in or not, really eases the mind in terms of the "being spied on" worry.

May I ask a question, I will most likely have my Kinect plugged in, has Microsoft finalized what the "playable" or "required" space for Kinect will be? My room is pretty small, I can't use Kinect 1 in my room, whenever I wanted to play or use Kinect I was required to play in the living room where space was optimal. Is the space requirmenet for Kinect 2 the same as Kinect 1, or is it different?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome if true. I'm now way more likely to get an Xbox One.

KaiserBecks

That's great news. I'd probably buy a Kinect at some point anyway but I'd be using it with my PC then. Knowing that the Xbox One will work without it would save me a lot of hassle (since I'd otherwise have to place the thing back and forth between PC and Television). Hm...

Dramos

Well since a good number of people disagree with the fact of having Kinect 2.0 as a dependant accessory, I guess this is very good news.

I still believe MS should keep the Kinect bundled with the console if they want to push the technology in order to provide even more accurate UI navigation and improved voice and motion features for games.

What MS needs to do instead of offering a Kinect-less SKU is to subsidize the console to TV providers or whoever.

farisr

There we go. Now I'll probably purchase it after a first price cut brings the price down to $400. (unless there are some games that REALLY appeal to me before that)

derFeef

Does all of this backtracking actually work on you guys? It worries me when people respond with "now I can get an Xbox." I would hate for the take-away from this to be "we can pull whatever the hell we want, as long as we reverse it if people are not willing to swallow it."

Why should a change that positively affects me be a bad thing?

shandy706

Can the NSA crazies take the tin-foil off now???

Go ahead and remove it guys....wait, the Aliens that built the pyramids are still out there. Better leave that tin-foil on to keep you safe.

It re-establishes the fan base of the people who were pro-360 in the past. They see the complaints being addressed as a reason to worry less and less each time.

However, those on the side against it are further convinced to hate it even more, as these policy changes PROVE their original complaints were 100% valid and that they're on the winning team.

But ultimately, they're still just trying to match the competition, not surpass them, and that will be the downfall.

Well confirmation of this news took my Xbox One purchase from a never ever to a someday.

I was honestly bothered more by the always on Kinect than the always online stuff.

BigDug13

Yo move Sony.

Every week some news gets me more excited for the Xbone.

What move? They still have the more powerful product at a lower price point with a greater value in their paid online system and they have greater worldwide brand power outside of US and UK.

Awesome news, if its really true.

For those saying that Kinect HAS to be in every box so devs will support it, what happens after the first year when no one buys any Kinect games and they all bail on it anyway? Then we all just got screwed out of $100... make it optional, if its as great as everyone says, it should sell itself.

It's not 100% about the games in this case though. You can't argue that one of the bigger uses is voice commands throughout the OS. I use voice commands in Netflix / HBO Go every single day. It's also a main part of their OS.

Many games will also be augmenting themselves with Kinect features. For example, ME3 and Skyrim both have Kinect voice commands, but they are still controller games.

It will have multiple uses, and it's not solely hinged on selling Kinect-only games like Kinect Sports.

The problem with making it optional is the problem the PS4 is going to run into with the PSEye. How do you convince developers to make games for something that has a smaller marketshare than the console itself (thus limiting your maximum sales reach), and why would gamers buy something that barely has any games? It's the classic chicken and the egg problem, and MS is forcing the egg by bundling it with every console. Developers no longer need to worry that they can only target 40% of the X360 userbase (or whatever the attach rate is for 360's Kinect). By making it a part of the console you buy, it has 100% attach rate. If MS sells 100 million X1's over the life of the console, there will be 100 million Kinect's out there. Sure, not all of them will be plugged in, but that's the consumers choice, and it's also up to them if there's an interesting game that comes out that makes them plug it in, or if there's something new to the OS they add that makes Kinect more interesting to them.

farisr

Confirm that you can navigate the interface with a controller & you have my attention microsoft.

They already did way before in one of the video interviews that came out around E3. Said you can completely use the controller to do all the functions (aside from voice commands of course).

eastmen

Banned
Why would someone buy an inferior console at the same price as a superior console? That's what the kinect is for. Adding more worth to the purchase IMO

Then again I've yet to see a visually impressive game on the PS4 as visually impressive as something on the PC, so what the hell do I know about console superiority!

last generation people not only bought the inferior console but many did at a $300 premium.

Logic doesn't really matter when marketing and years of brand loyalty and experience are on the line.

Floex

How does a company literally backtrack on nearly everything, to diminish their vision for the future in matter of weeks. What kind of market leader are they? Sure, I'm glad they listened but they shouldn't have been doing those practises in the first place

ToyBroker

Banned
Who is we, are you representing the whole forum? Nice to meet you mister NeoGAF.
Don't you agree that if a Kinect-less XB1 priced at 299 gets revealed it would "win" (sales wise)from the competition solely because of the price? Tell me it ain't so.
And with all those 180's it would be logical for them to reveal a kinect-less XB1, it's not guaranteed but still possible.

We as in...no one quoted you or replied to it. Nice job jumping to that extremely far conclusion that I'm speaking for everyone.

And you never said 299, you just said a Kinectless SKU.

There's one more game exclusive announced for the XBOX One than the PS4, and we don't know the quality of any of them except Forza which will probably be good.
This was why I said, "for me..." I don't care about how many games there are gonna be. I just want good games. I can't wait to play Titanfall and Forza.

Unless Sony somehow announces a next-gen Last of Us remake, I don't have any interest in any PS4 games. I don't own a PS3, so I couldn't play the Last of Us. This is the only Sony ip I am interested in.

What move? They still have the more powerful product at a lower price point with a greater value in their paid online system and they have greater worldwide brand power outside of US and UK.

Yeah, seriously. Sony did all the right stuff right off the bat. Microsoft is just backtracking now and people are requesting Sony to "do something?" What the fuck...

Top Bottom