• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

They really need to rename this console Xbox 180.

Can't believe how much they keep caving in on all these policies they thought up. You gotta wonder who spearheaded them all and what they're thinking right about now.

Never seen Sony make competition shit it's pants so much since pre-PS2 launch.

I sincerely hope MS doesn't release a Kincetless SKU. I know this will pain some people to read, but Kinect really is the most intriguing thing about the Xbox One. Strip that away and you have a box that's slightly less powerful than the PS4 and doesn't really do anything super novel.

I get lots of people aren't interested in Kinect, but I have two thoughts:

1) People who hate Kinect hate current Kinect, Kinect v1, which is very hateable. But this is Kinect v2, and the concept of Kinect, if it worked well, is interesting.

2) They are forcing a bundle for the same reason past gens forced hard drives or forced ethernet adaptors: so devs know what the default config is. Make Kinect a "maybe present" accessory and who the hell would bother with it?

RayMaker

Banned
PS4 would still provide more over X1, being the considerable more powerful machine resulting in not-small indiscernible performance differences in games. Kinect features haven't proven to out-benefit that.

If they really want to impress ppl they need to show how third party games can use voice commands to macro tedious menu navigation or something. So far nothing to show that.

What sought of graphical difference are you expecting

sublimit

Banned
They didnt lie about anything. That was the vision that they had when Mattrick was there and now that hes gone, it isnt. Its not complex.

If your sports team changes the GM, you dont expect the new one to make changes? Isnt that why they change him in the first place? I dont get some of you.

So you want me to believe that not so long ago the system was impossible to function without Kinect and now all of a sudden it can?

Right.

They really need to rename this console Xbox 180.

Can't believe how much they keep caving in on all these policies they thought up. You gotta wonder who spearheaded them all and what they're thinking right about now.

Never seen Sony make competition shit it's pants so much since pre-PS2 launch.

Before this announcement 100% of all XB1 owners would plug in their Kinect.
After this announcement 99.9% of all XB1 owners would plug in their Kinect.

I sincerely hope MS doesn't release a Kincetless SKU. I know this will pain some people to read, but Kinect really is the most intriguing thing about the Xbox One. Strip that away and you have a box that's slightly less powerful than the PS4 and doesn't really do anything super novel.

I get lots of people aren't interested in Kinect, but I have two thoughts:

1) People who hate Kinect hate current Kinect, Kinect v1, which is very hateable. But this is Kinect v2, and the concept of Kinect, if it worked well, is interesting.

2) They are forcing a bundle for the same reason past gens forced hard drives or forced ethernet adaptors: so devs know what the default config is. Make Kinect a "maybe present" accessory and who the hell would bother with it?

Most logical, sane people, understand this which is why im all for it in there from start to finish. Then, if they drop the price 50$ down the road, its even more value for your buck. Kinect aint going nowhere imo. The only way i see that happening is if Sony destroy them in sales, then they wont have a choice. I hope it doesn't come to that for their sake cause Xone without kinect is even less interesting.

No, we hate the concept of Kinect. Motion controls with no feedback.

Which is a fair point.

Rendered moot since no "so-called-traiditional-core" game was hindered by the presence of Kinect.

One could argue about the shovelware, though. But even then, we have no way of knowing if those games prevented some good core franchises to come to light.

So you want me to believe that not so long ago the system was impossible to function without Kinect and now all of a sudden it can?

Right.

I seriously doubt they said "impossible". I remember them saying that the system was designed with Kinect being always on in mind, yes. Nothing is impossible.

So is it official that you can use the system, play games, watch Netflix, navigate the OS without Kinect ever plugged in?

I'm still reading conflicting information. This could be the difference in buying an X1 or not. If this change is official... *cheers*

I'm not buying the thing but I'm betting most of you will keep it plugged in and turned on 100 percent of the time

No doubt. But in the end, it was just frustrating to see MS, a software company that specializes in making OSs and Server OSs with so many fucking options including the kitchen sink, give so few of them for their latest console. People want options.

BigDug13

What sought of graphical difference are you expecting

Greater than the difference between 360 and PS3 which still meant Microsoft was the best place to play multiplats and now Sony will be. Even if the graphics are exactly the same, that will result in superior performance with less framerate dips on PS4.

Bsigg12

They for the sake of a multi billion dollar investment in Kinect cannot exclude it from the console. By including it in every box from the start, regardless if you decide to use it or not, they set a precedent for what is available for developers. If the Kinect is there, and I said this earlier, devs can bank on it and not worry about their game struggling because of a low adoption rate of the kinect. Also, if devs start using it more, it will get better as Microsoft will learn from devs when helping them with the system.

I wish Sony would have decided to include the PS Eye because it helps the technology grow. Not including something as simple as a camera stagnates innovate control possibilities on the PS4 since there is no guarantee that anyone will buy the PS Eye.

HyperV

Banned
I'm not buying the thing but I'm betting most of you will keep it plugged in and turned on 100 percent of the time

I will.

I suspect some of the people concerned about privacy have willingly put details of their day on social networks at one point or another.

The system can still send data over Ethernet or wifi.

Even if you disconnect it completely, it might be storing the info somewhere in the cache ready to be sent whenever the system gets online.

Don't be fooled by this.

That's great. Now just stop using your phone, your internet, and just about any traffic camera you come across b/c clearly, the NSA is ONLY using Xbox to spy on people.

seems like their doing everything gaf wants soon there will be nothing to poopoo on them about especially if they give people the 100 dollars off - i dont mind the kinect bundled version though mines will always be connected as well as my ps4

The system can still send data over Ethernet or wifi.

Even if you disconnect it completely, it might be storing the info somewhere in the cache ready to be sent whenever the system gets online.

Don't be fooled by this.

P75TuMm.gif

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Nsa can still spy on your just dance sessions by telnetting to your router via frame relay coded encapsulation even when the kinnect is off. Kojima confirmed it

Nss can still spy on your just dance sessions by telnetting to your router via frame relay coded encapsulation even when the kinnect is off. Kojima confirmed it

What?

People worried about unplugged Kinects using internet and mobile phones.

Clever.

My phone isn't pointed to my bed 24/7. In fact, the case covers the camera, and I manually slide it to expose the camera...so it's not looking at me the whole time. >.> Seriously people, try harder.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
My question is, how functional will the Xbone be without the kinect? Will everything besides the speech and hand gestures work? And what if a game requires it?

Delt31

well at least M$ is listening and changing accordingly. It might have taken a good kick in the nuts, but they are coming around. xbox 180, 720 whatever you want to call it - i'm just happy the consumer is getting what they want.

You're almost there MS. A couple more hurdles and you'll have your own PS4 in no time.

Why do people just want another PS4? What is good about a PS4 with worse specs?

Shouldn't there be some desire for a little differentiation in the platforms?

If MS is just set on making a PS4 with crappier specs then why are they even bothering? Lead the industry towards your vision or don't bother. OG Xbox made broadband and HDD mandatory when they were optional on every console that came before it. Maybe it would have been more profitable to make broadband and HDD optional, but then Xbox and Xbox Live wouldn't be where they are today.

If MS believes in Kinect then make it mandatory. If MS doesn't believe in Kinect then they really don't have anything better than Sony this generation. At this point the only vote of confidence they have left is including Kinect in the box and that is hanging by a thread.

RayMaker

Banned
Parents concerned about their children must be silly.

Yet they give phones + PC's with webcams,GPS, microphones, tons of personal data and have access to a lot of things a child should not be seeing.

This ''kinect is spying on you'' is stupid conspiracy rubbish.

If the government wanted to spy on you they can already, Its called surveillance and its been around since world war 2.

Bsigg12

My question is, how functional will the Xbone be without the kinect? Will everything besides the speech and hand gestures work? And what if a game requires it?

Sounds like it's fully operational and Written said in the 3rd question that if a games needs it it will prompt you to either plug it in or turn it on.

Yet they give phones + PC's with webcams,GPS, microphones, tons of personal data and have access to a lot of things a child should not be seeing.

This ''kinect is spying on you'' is stupid conspiracy rubbish.

If the government wanted to spy on you they can already, Its called surveillance and its been around since world war 2.

They maybe...

We don't.

Shivin

Neo Member
I'm okay with it as long as they keep the Kinect in the box at launch. I'd be willing to bet that there will be a lot of users that might unplug the Kinect in the beginning but after more games come out that use it to augment standard game play it will become too much of a hassle to keep unplugging and plugging it back in.

I'm getting a PS4 at launch as well as getting an XBOne but the more these changes keep getting made I start to think I might as well cancel my pre-order. If they decide to not include the Kinect in the box then I'll probably do just that. I want my XBOne experience to be different from my PS4 experience. If it just comes down to 2 similar consoles and a battle with who has the better exclusive games then I see very little reason for there to even be 2 different consoles.

Rhindle

They for the sake of a multi billion dollar investment in Kinect cannot exclude it from the console. By including it in every box from the start, regardless if you decide to use it or not, they set a precedent for what is available for developers. If the Kinect is there, and I said this earlier, devs can bank on it and not worry about their game struggling because of a low adoption rate of the kinect. Also, if devs start using it more, it will get better as Microsoft will learn from devs when helping them with the system.

I wish Sony would have decided to include the PS Eye because it helps the technology grow. Not including something as simple as a camera stagnates innovate control possibilities on the PS4 since there is no guarantee that anyone will buy the PS Eye.
At this point, they just don't have a choice. The system simply can't be competitive with a $100 price disadvantage, at least outside the US. Sony forced their hand on going to a lowest common denominator on the price point.

MS will release a Kinect-less SKU at some point. It's just a question of how long they want to hold out at the expense of losing the early market share to Sony.

I will.

I suspect some of the people concerned about privacy have willingly put details of their day on social networks at one point or another.

"They post on Facebook, so they must be okay with a high-definition camera and microphone recording everything they do in their own home!"

You people are trolling, right?

Top Bottom