• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

I don't understand the hate for Kinect. It has it's use cases/purpose. If you don't want to play Kinect focused games, don't buy those games. Some people do enjoy them. I love Kinect and Kinect 2 looks much more advanced.

But I'm still not getting the Xbone. Paywall, weaker hardware, and MS's track record for abandoning first party development is what keeps me away.

HyperV

Banned
P75TuMm.gif

LOL, love Da Sisko.

The Xbox One is of Bajor.

Those notably inflated the price of the console. And admittedly, especially considering the bluray, it wasn't that sought after.

So yes, even Sony tries to sell us things we don't want. Maybe it's just better at it than Microsoft.

sony proved it right?
cell bluray were core to the system, inside the box yet people bought it
kinect is now not mandatory yet they are trying to sell it to someone who dont want one

Kyon

Banned
So they've been lying about every single thing about this box.

Remove that gimmick mess drop price to $299 and I'm in

Sounds like they're absolutely shitting on any vision they ever had for this console to me.

Their vision revolved almost entirely around how they could make more money, and everything else was second. They're clearly seeing signs their potential customer base has basically rejected most of these shitty ideas, which is why we're seeing them slowly remove each of them.

My phone isn't pointed to my bed 24/7. In fact, the case covers the camera, and I manually slide it to expose the camera...so it's not looking at me the whole time. >.> Seriously people, try harder.

Pardon me, but you're way beyond stupid if you think the only valuable information about yourself is an image/recording of your annoying figure while you sleep/eat/whatever.

You costantly send important private info over the web everyday. But you don't complain about someone that might actually spy you.

The GPS in your phone works even when it's shut down. And are you sure it doesn't wake up remotely in the night to take pictures of your ass?

Come on.

This ''kinect is spying on you'' is stupid conspiracy rubbish.
Only if you haven't been paying attention.

Regardless, the best that could be asked of MS was to allow the console to work without Kinect being attached. That puts complete control in the consumer's hands. So on that point this is a very good thing.

eznark

Banned
"They post on Facebook, so they must be okay with a high-definition camera and microphone recording everything they do in their own home!"

You people are trolling, right?

No but for some reason they only post in threads and poo poo people's desire for privacy. Strange thing to sign up for GAF and post exclusively about.

"They post on Facebook, so they must be okay with a high-definition camera and microphone recording everything they do in their own home!"

You people are trolling, right?

I think the point of that is hypocrisy. If they're so against being watched or followed then they should apply that way of thinking to every aspect of their lives. Not just when MS do it.

Pardon me, but you're way beyond stupid if you think the only valuable information about yourself is an image/recording of your annoying figure while you sleep/eat/whatever.

You costantly send important private info over the web everyday. But you don't complain about someone that might actually spy you.

The GPS in your phone works even when it's shut down. And are you sure it doesn't wake up remotely in the night to take pictures of your ass?

Come on.

1.) My home computer doesn't have a camera or mic plugged in 24/7
2.) We have no cameras in the bedroom
3.) The kids have no cameras or sound devices in the bedroom.
4.) The phone taking pictures of my ass? Really...come on. It'll have fun doing that when covered by the case.

Stop sounding like a douche...there is more to this than the government spying on you.

I love all of the people pretending to have never heard of the human concept of privacy. "Why WOULDN'T you let strangers bug your house and put you on camera 24 hours a day? It's ridiculous!"

That's not a fair characterization of my point of view. What I'm saying is I'm not pretending someone in the government is sitting 24/7 at a bay of monitors, Evil Mastermind style, watching my cats lick their butt while I'm at work.

Good move. Will now consider buying one when the price drops and you've built a solid library of games. The last few years of the 360's life have been underwhelming, to put it nicely, on the games front.

kotodama

I'll want to see how Microsoft treats this system for the first couple years, but probably will eventually get it if they don't pull any 'switch flipping' reversals.

1.) My home computer doesn't have a camera or mic plugged in 24/7
2.) We have no cameras in the bedroom
3.) The kids have no cameras or sound devices in the bedroom.

Stop sounding like a douche...there is more to this than someone spying on you.

You don't need a camera to be spied.

We've been told that governments can listen to our phone calls. They can read our emails. What about people spying your children's FB accounts? It could happen.

Yet the biggest concern is Kinect? You can unplug the whole console just like you cover your phone's camera.

My point is: you're concerned about privacy? It's a good thing, you should.

But pointing your finger at Kinect while feeling safe using a mobile phone or the internet is stupid. If you are that concerned, then you should do more than avoid Kinect.

RayMaker

Banned
Greater than the difference between 360 and PS3 which still meant Microsoft was the best place to play multiplats and now Sony will be. Even if the graphics are exactly the same, that will result in superior performance with less framerate dips on PS4.

i'am expecting GTA4/call of duty 4 onwards level of difference.

The PS3 games that suffered the most (fallout 3,skyrim and bayonetta) was due to the PS3 split RAM pool.

Later on in the gen I expect PS4 will just have extra graphical features rather then X1 graphical features and performance being toned down. For example in GTA6 both version will run @1080p @30fps but the PS4 version will have better trees and better effects.

Bsigg12

At this point, they just don't have a choice. The system simply can't be competitive with a $100 price disadvantage, at least outside the US. Sony forced their hand on going to a lowest common denominator on the price point.

MS will release a Kinect-less SKU at some point. It's just a question of how long they want to hold out at the expense of losing the early market share to Sony.

They'll be fine. Their initial install base will be from enthusiasts and some families. The PS3 and 360 did not take off until they hit the $299 and lower price points and I expect that to be the same here. Sure the Xbox One is huge for them this holiday but they will sell far more 360s simply due to some bad ass sales because the manufacturing cost on the 360 is so low. There will also be far more stock there. Microsoft is not looking to dominate the market at first with the Xbox One, but get above some 3 million units on the year.

HyperV

Banned
I think the point of that is hypocrisy. If they're so against being watched or followed then they should apply that way of thinking to every aspect of their lives. Not just when MS do it.

Nail. Head.

"Oh no! I'm worried about the Kinect 1080p camera in my house! ....PHEW! That's disconnected! Now I'll absolutely have to tell my friends on Facebook where I pulled that fit bird last night! While I'm at it, I'm brag about me going on holiday and I'll tell people when I'm going, hopefully they won't rob the house while I'm away! But thank god Kinect is disconnected, I was worried about my privacy!"

You don't need a camera to be spied. Wake up.

We've been told that governments can listen to our phone calls. They can read our emails.

Yet the biggest concern is Kinect? You can unplug the whole console just like you cover your phone's camera.

But pointing your finger at Kinect while feeling safe using a mobile phone or the internet is stupid.

If you don't see the difference between an camera pointed at your bedroom 24/7 and a phone that's never in your bedroom or bathroom... Then we are done here.

If you don't see the difference between an entertainment device and something used for work... We are done here...

Maybe when you get a high end job, you will understand why people are more edgy...it's insane what people can get fired for... Twitter/Facebook/etc...are not worth the risk.

But pointing your finger at Kinect while feeling safe using a mobile phone or the internet is stupid.
Are we going to go through this all again? At the end of the day anybody concerned with Kinect and privacy has gotten a win here, as you can finally disconnect the thing.

We've had several threads that break down all kinds of issues related to privacy, what makes the Kinect special even if less effective as other means. If you avoided most of those threads then maybe at the very least you could give somebody the benefit of the doubt that they're not clinically paranoid or about to ramble about alien lasers and contrails.

Privacy controls benefit *everyone*.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Good move. Will now consider buying one when the price drops and you've built a solid library of games. The last few years of the 360's life have been underwhelming, to put it nicely, on the games front.

Yeah, that's my plan now.
PS4 will have the superior multi-platforms, so I'll pick it up earlier.

Then in a couple years after a price drop, i'll pick up a 180 with the exclusives.

This is a change from my previous plan of using a catapult to launch it into a field of cow dung if someone gave one to me.

This never bothered me personally, but I'm glad it's put to rest for the people that had issue with it.

PLEASE do NOT remove Kinect. It's the only thing setting your system apart from the PS4 at this point besides hardware power (which with 3rd parties, probably won't mean much) and with history hasn't proven to be a reason for sales.

MS does need to match the price though, will be a hard sell with both on the shelves.

My BIGGEST problem is that lack of support for Fanatec wheels, fix that shit MS and you may have yourself a purchase this holiday.

eznark

Banned
Nail. Head.

"Oh no! I'm worried about the Kinect 1080p camera in my house! ....PHEW! That's disconnected! Now I'll absolutely have to tell my friends on Facebook where I pulled that fit bird last night! While I'm at it, I'm brag about me going on holiday and I'll tell people when I'm going, hopefully they won't rob the house while I'm away! But thank god Kinect is disconnected, I was worried about my privacy!"

Ah you're British. That explains it.

Orca

I love selective arguments....
like comparing Kinect sales to something like the vita (why...?) instead of the obvious comparsion only to Moves and the Wii.

It's not really selective so much as it is cumulative. He's saying it sold more than all those things combined.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities

And here's the key question; how can you trust them to do something like that ? After leaving the 360 in the cold and after all the 180s with the Bone.

Hip Hop

My main thing with the Kinect was that it was an added price for the system. I don't want to use Kinect and I dont want an added price. This will definitely help in me purchasing one if Microsoft decides to do a non-bundle. I can see them doing that as they have been dropping and adding a lot of stuff. That DRM wide support drop was more radical to me than if they were to drop Kinect.

Nail. Head.

Wait,guiz.

Kinect COULD be a good thing if your house got broken into! D:

Synth

Nobody wanted their "vision." Hence the 180s. Follow the money.

I wanted the digital library with physical discs, and being able to sell digital purchases. If 24hr check-ins were the required to make that work, then I had no problem with it. I can understand why other people may disagree, but it's not true that nobody wanted the initial vision.

Most of the other changes though? Good. The indie stuff was stupid. I want Kinect bundled, so it has a chance at some real support, but not being able to unplug it was one of the dumbest ideas ever. Finally, not having a headset was almost a deal breaker by itself.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I am very happy about all this. I was in rage mode at Microsoft circa E3, and pretty firmly on team PS4... but I don't want MS to fail. I want them to step up and make the Xbone a viable console. Competition and variety is a good thing.

RayMaker

Banned
Only if you haven't been paying attention.

Regardless, the best that could be asked of MS was to allow the console to work without Kinect being attached. That puts complete control in the consumer's hands. So on that point this is a very good thing.

I have been paying attention and made up my own mind on the stance I have on it.For all you know sony could be in league with korea and the have hidden cameras in the PS4.

Anyway I agree with you and I do think its a good idea to have the kinect not mandatory.

If you don't see the difference between an camera pointed at your bedroom 24/7 and a phone that's never in your bedroom or bathroom... Then we are done here.

If you don't see the difference between an entertainment device and something used for work... We are done here...

Maybe when you get a high end job, you will understand why people are more edgy...it's insane what people can get fired for... Twitter/Facebook/etc...are not worth the risk.

It wasn't about differences in the devices; it's about principles.

Of course a camera is more intrusive.

I do have a job that's particularly sensitive to the subject, that's why I was surprised about the big concern about Kinect and Kinect only.

I guess that clarifies it. I didn't mean to be an ass, I was just over-sarcastic.

Privacy controls benefit *everyone*.

That is not up to debate. I am very careful myself on the subject.

I was just putting things into perspective. If I'm digging through exhausted discussions my apologies.

Amir0x

Banned
Only thing that's left is price and getting all them apps out from behind the paywall.

Can we do it #Team180? Yes. We. Can!

Satchel

Banned
What?

My phone isn't pointed to my bed 24/7. In fact, the case covers the camera, and I manually slide it to expose the camera...so it's not looking at me the whole time. >.> Seriously people, try harder.

But your phone is with you much more than your games console is.

If the NSA were targeting you through Kinect, they'd be staring at an empty room 80% of the day.

Riveting stuff to be sure. But I bet your phone calls and texts would provide them with juicier stuff.

But you know, "Microsoft is evil!" and all that.

Just call it PS4 Lite and be done with it.
And this is why they won't ditch the Kinect. Its the heart and soul and identity of the Bone.

This change seems specifically aimed at Prism-like concerns, which they can't really answer in any other way, and not for lack of trying.

And here's the key question; how can you trust them to do something like that ? After leaving the 360 in the cold and after all the 180s with the Bone.

Can't. That's why I said consider. They've gotta prove that "$1 billion" is actually going to stack a library of great games and not just fund the ad rights and timed-exclusive DLC for multiplats.

But your phone is with you much more than your games console is.

If the NSA were targeting you through Kinect, they'd be staring at an empty room 80% of the day.

Riveting stuff to be sure. But I bet your phone calls and texts would provide them with juicier stuff.

But you know, "Microsoft is evil!" and all that.

Except it's not the NSA that concerns me..

Seriously what is the point of attacking me. I posted a positive post, saying I'll be getting an Xbox One if this is true.

I know you guys are jumpy...but seriously. No need to act like this.

Top Bottom