• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

Enectic

Banned
I really hope they don't make a Kinect-less SKU. I'm genuinely intrigued by Kinect and would like to see just what developers would do with it given the knowledge that it's a standard with every system. Regulating it as an optional accessory would definitely hinder the support it will receive.

Wasn't a big deal the way they announced it and not a big deal that they've reverted on it as far as I'm concerned. However, having to buy a more expensive console because the product is mandatory is still a big deal. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but a big deal. I don't expect they'll revert on that though.

Clearly there was a lot of resistance to Mattrick, they are pretty much undoing his most controversial choices.

Undoing everything the guy who made your business finally profitable instead of the money pit it was before he got there? Smart.

Controversial decision /= bad decision. No risk = no reward.

Bsigg12

So how can it be required to be plug in but also work without it plug in?

It's not required to be plugged in anymore? Without explicitly saying it, that's what is being implied here. If you don't want to use it, and a game/app doesn't require it, you don't have to.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So I guess this also kills dead that whole, 'DRM based on the number of people in the room' rumour-but-treated-as-fact from a while back too huh.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Kinect does not need to be plugged in anymore.

Works wireless now.

Powered by 2 AA batteries.

This is good news for prospective XBO buyers. However, it also (along with the other 180s MS have pulled lately) makes it seem like they had absolutely no idea what the hell they were doing with the XBO in the first place. It feels like they're getting pretty close to having changed all of their original plans for the console. The hardware itself is just about the only thing about it that remains the same as it was at E3. I just don't get how they misjudged what the market wanted (or would accept) so badly. Now they're bringing the console closer and closer to the PS4 in consumer-friendliness, but the way they've been getting there doesn't make it seem like they're very confident in what they're doing.

This. I don't trust anyone-be it a person, group, or corporation-to be a leader if they're constantly reshuffling the deck at the very last moments before they play their hand. I wouldn't be surprised if these reversals are actually convincing many to put off an XBO purchase even longer.

In any case, it's all a subtle admission that Sony is running this next-gen show for right now, when it could've been Sony and Microsoft. smh.

I still don't understand why everyone hates on Kinect 2.0 so much. It looks a thousands times better than the old Kinect from what I've seen.

ToyBroker

Banned
I still don't understand why everyone hates on Kinect 2.0 so much. It looks a thousands times better than the old Kinect from what I've seen.

No one really hates the Kinect for the actual tech. The tech is very very cool.

People dislike it because it's 100% worthless for gaming. Not only that, but we've seen nothing compelling to disprove that thought.

Biker19

Banned
This is hilarious; Microsoft backpedaling on everything. Just goes to show how fucked up their policies, etc. for this console are.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This. I don't trust anyone-be it a person, group, or corporation-to be a leader if they're constantly reshuffling the deck at the very last moments before they play their hand. I wouldn't be surprised if these reversals are actually convincing many to put off an XBO purchase even longer.

In any case, it's all a subtle admission that Sony is running this next-gen show for right now, when it could've been Sony and Microsoft. smh.

As I posted on the last page for me it's just confusing as fuck. I really like to fully understand the products that I consider purchasing. There have been so many changes since E3 that I'm having a hard time knowing up from down and left from right.

I have no idea what the features and/or limitations of xbone are and I consider myself to be a pretty well informed gamer.

ad_idem

I think, on the whole, this is great news. Especially for those that took issue with one of the biggest remaining controversial factors (an HD camera needing to be physically connected in order to function) in potentially adopting the new Xbox. The only downside I can see is that since it's no longer required, there could be fragmentation of the consumer base thus dictating whether or not developers decide to push innovation on this front (note: I personally don't have interest in motion gaming at all, just presenting this consideration). And this would, in a way, defeat the purpose of insisting on bundling the Kinect which in turn hikes up the price for a less reasonable purpose. But as I said earlier, I think this is good news on the whole. Less reason for people to be wary of their product, and it'll turn more into a fair playing field to see who offers better software and overall gaming experiences. As it should be (from a gamer's perspective).

I didn't bring up the NSA.

These people are just attacking for the fun of it.

Talk to them about it.

1.) I don't want what's recorded to be used for marketing. I don't want meta data being sold. I don't data collected being used for advertising. I don't want what's recorded on my Kinect being used anywhere else.

2.) I don't want my kids Skyping with strangers. I don't want my children saying something stupid out of game rage "which happens to even the best of us at some point" and having it be used against them in school and taken out of context because some kid thought it was funny recorded it and posted it on twitter and some raging parent freaks out. I live in Colorado where a lot of kids are getting suspended for very stupid things after all the shootings.

Parents have many reasons to dislike the idea of an always required Kinect combined with integrated online video supported social media features in their house.

Either way... I'm happy if this change is true!

I think GoofsterStud brings up good points. Those that take issue with the Kinect being compulsory to the system function are not necessarily tinfoil hat donning isolationists finding validation in the recent NSA controversy. As with all stances on an issue, people have various rationale behind their position, and it is unfair to project presumed rationale on to them; especially when they made no reference to that presumed rationale at all.

Some people are just uncomfortable with the idea of a camera facing (at all times) a space that should be psychologically intimate, offering whatever that person defines as safety and comfort.

Cynar

It is garbage for gaming. The xbox one is supposed to be a gaming console first. Why would a gamer want something that is absolutely worthless to their experience shoved down their throat when it can and should be optional?

I really hope they don't make a Kinect-less SKU. I'm genuinely intrigued by Kinect and would like to see just what developers would do with it given the knowledge that it's a standard with every system. Regulating it as an optional accessory would definitely hinder the support it will receive.

It's up to the developers to give me a reason to buy into it, not vice versa. How many kinect 1's are now in people's homes? How many years well it take for the K2 to reach those numbers? So I have to shell out $100 on the chance that someday the market will hit the magic number for developers to take it seriously, AND hope that there really is this mythical game waiting to be made that will melt my mind...no thanks. Build it and I will be there day one, but don't ask me to kickstart a project for MS.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Because it's a Kinect. Did the people who hated the Wiimote start loving it once Wii Motion Plus came out? No, and that was even usable in games.

BWJinxing

Aside from the NSA concerns, there was the concern with data being captured and sold, in-addition to policy enforcement on video.

Those where some concerns, the Trojan Horse applications of mandatory connected K2.

Guymelef

If they don't release a Kinec less pack, this "you can unplug kinect" seems a thing for avoid problems in some European Union countries, more than satisfying directly to some people.

If they don't release a Kinec less pack, this "you can disconnect kinect" seems a thing for avoid problems in some European Union countries, more than satisfying directly to some people.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Several countries came out to declare this thing a spy box shortly after it was announced to have mandatory Kinect. What flies in 'Murica isn't ok everywhere else.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
good news. I wasn't against it in principle, just that my setup makes it difficult to have it plugged in all the time.

It does sound like it is integrated quite deeply across the system, so even if core games don't support it massively it will still have value for general OS navigation or even just voice search (yes it is a big piece of plastic if it ends up just being a mic..)

put media apps outside of the paywall and I'm on board (price cut would be nice too)

Alcander

UGH. If they sell a kinect-less version I am going to be so upset. Seriously this is SUCH F-ING COOL technology and I want to see some awesome stuff done with it, which won't happen if the market is fractured.

Sigh, all these 180s are depressing me. Hooray for a better graphics version of the exact same thing as this generation, I guess :/

gunstarhero

Wow - now it just needs to play PS4 games and I'm in! ;-)

UGH. If they sell a kinect-less version I am going to be so upset. Seriously this is SUCH F-ING COOL technology and I want to see some awesome stuff done with it, which won't happen if the market is fractured.

Sigh, all these 180s are depressing me. Hooray for a better graphics version of the exact same thing as this generation, I guess :/

I agree - it would have been far more interesting if the stuck to their guns. Now we have practically the same shit on both sides of the fence.

DESTROYA

It may be closer to a PS4 know but it still is $100 more, make a KINECT-less SKU and they might have something on there hands. I don't know about you guys but spending more $$$ for a device I don't wan't is still not for me.
Good move on MS's part for those that wan't one but from reading all these post's a lot of people still don't wan't/care for it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
But how will developers be able to use kinect for all those fun things they weren't going to do now?

Also, paying 100 bucks for a camera you are never going to want to use is terrible. They may as well offer a version without it at this point.

ari

Banned
Not seeing the big deal on this one. No reason for me to unplug it if its a high-tech camera that's packed in. I think it will be good.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It really is. All of these changes are just MS, step by step, making the XBO seem less terrible next to the PS4. They don't seem to have any initiative of their own right now, they are just slowly adapting to what Sony has decided that the next generation of consoles should be. And again, that's good for prospective XBO buyers. But it doesn't make MS seem very confident in what they're doing with their console.

Alcander

I agree - it would have been far more interesting if the stuck to their guns. Now we have practically the same shit on both sides of the fence.

Precisely. If people wanted a repeat of this generation with simply better graphics then the PS4 was right there. I was genuinely excited for something different.

THANKS GAF >=(

You don't charge people first and then offer content sometime down the road. The original Kinect at least launched with Kinectimals, Kinect Adventures, Sports, and Dance Central.

The One is basically asking consumers "here's $100 with of tech, figure out something to do with it while we get on that gaming thing." Cart before the horse and all that. It's a gaming console. Anything that drives up the price should have a killer app that justifies it to consumers. People wouldn't spend $399 on the box alone if the graphics looked exactly like the 360 in 2006, I don't see why they're expected to happily plop down $100 for a peripheral without games.

Not seeing the big deal on this one. No reason for me to unplug it if its a high-tech camera that's packed in. I think it will be good.

Me either. I never understood it in the first place. Not to mention they mentioned before it wasn't required to go through the dashboard / menus. So I'm happy.

Top Bottom