• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

zashga

Good! Now they just need to release a $400 SKU without Kinect and we'll have something resembling a fair fight this generation.

FortMajor

Banned
I'm glad they gave people the option of turning off Kinect. I for one am really excited with what devs can do with Kinect and smartglass.

looking foward to using it. I hope if anything they just lower the price don't make a Kinect less sku.

Satchel

Banned
I understand. I'm probably buying the XB1 this fall, and the PS4 next year.

But when someone says the PS4 has no advantages, it's worth noting it's still more powerful.

Of course, I wasn't suggesting the PS4 didn't have advantages. It obviously does, in more than just power.

But historically, the most powerful console has never ended up with the most unit sales. Anyone who buys a console for its power over games should be questioning how they spend their money.

Its widely accepted here that the PS3 apparently has the best 1st party lineup currently, which is a major contributing factor to end of Gen sales increase.

This should also then apply to the One. Its hard to legitimately argue that the One's CURRENT exclusive lineup isn't better than the PS4's. Especially at launch.

So if Microsoft drop to $399 and keep Kinect, then id wager those who still choose to ignore were most likely never going to buy it regardless of Microsoft's missteps and whether they existed in the past or not.

If games are what sells consoles and price being a barrier to those games, then a $399 One with Kinect and that lineup should- in theory, be hard to resist for any gamer.

I love all of the people pretending to have never heard of the human concept of privacy. "Why WOULDN'T you let strangers bug your house and put you on camera 24 hours a day? It's ridiculous!"
Laptop camera, cellphone camera. That really should be the end of the discussion. This isn't something new that Microsoft invented

If they release a $400 version then Sony will have completely lost any advantage they once had.

Not really the power differences guarantee a better gaming experience performance wise for multiplats. The difference isn't a micro-millimeter thing where devs will "have to get used to it" since it's very easy to develop for and that power will be utiilized very easily. Plus the exclusives will look better for it too.

They are. And the ones that are not are including Kinect features.

Come on - if the Kinect is not a pack in, devs will likely ignore it. If it stays a pack in, then we will see devs do more with it. Which could be cool - or not, but it would have been interesting.

Who?

The attach rate for Kinect on the 360 was > 30%, and there were about a dozen interesting games made for it in 3 years (to put it in perspective, that's much less than the number of quality fighting games, racing games, and flight games released for the 360, with a much lower attach rate for fight sticks, racing wheels, and flight sticks, respectively). And there are many, many more games that are simply "better with Kinect" that have optional Kinect modes and voice commands. Sound familiar?

Any dev taking a "wait and see" approach on the One launch won't have a game out before 2015/2016.

Disclaimer: I own a Kinect (got it as a gift in Christmas 2010), along with Kinect Adventures, Kinect Sports, and Dance Central 1&2.

statham

The problem with gimmicks is that many games make some minor shitty use of them, but that is still enough for them being necessary although the actual game would perfectly work without them. Maps on the Wii U GamePad, dirt rubbing and touch QTEs in Uncharted:GA on the Vita, turning of valves with the DS3 in Killzone 3, boosting in Mario Kart Wii (and a honk on the GamePad in Mario Kart 8, lol), etc.

this wasn't something decided on just now, the jimmy fallon show they play COD without kinect. Even so, no game has launched yet. D4 is a kinect game but its been known since E3 that you can also play it with the controller.

Not really the power differences guarantee a better gaming experience performance wise for multiplats. The difference isn't a micro-millimeter thing where devs will "have to get used to it" since it's very easy to develop for and that power will be utiilized very easily. Plus the exclusives will look better for it too.

If they don't have to get used to it and its more powerful then how come there are no differences between the titles we have seen?

Metfanant

Of course, I wasn't suggesting the PS4 didn't have advantages. It obviously does, in more than just power.

But historically, the most powerful console gas never ended up with the most unit sales. Anyone who buys a console for its power over games should be questioning how they spend their money.

Its widely accepted here that the PS3 apparently has the best 1st party lineup currently, which is a major contributing factor to end of Gen sales increase.

This should also then apply to the One. Its hard to legitimately argue that the One's CURRENT exclusive lineup isn't better than the PS4's. Especially at launch.

So if Microsoft drop to $399 and keep Kinect, then id wager those who still choose to ignore were most likely never going to buy it regardless of Microsoft's missteps and whether they existed in the past or not.

If games are what sells consoles and price being a barrier to those games, then a $399 One with Kinect and that lineup should- in theory, be hard to resist for any gamer.

lets be perfectly clear before this becomes some sort of "rumor" like the 12gb of RAM nonsense...

the chances of MS dropping the price by $100 and keeping Kinect is ludicrous...$399 without Kinect? maybe ill give you that...but you have to remember...MS is already going to be taking a loss on each Xbone sold...the bean counters have already crunched numbers for months and months and decided what was the appropriate launch price based on hardware costs...

simply deciding to take a whole extra $100 loss per console this close to launch?...come onnnnnn....lets get real here for like 2.2 seconds...

also...while the "most powerful" console doesnt always win...last gen showed us that being first to market doesn't give you a victory...and seemingly this gen the Wii U is showing us that being the cheapest doesn't mean you will win either...

but while the PS4 is "more powerful" than the Xbone...its ALSO cheaper...thats fairly unprecedented

If they don't have to get used to it and its more powerful then how come there are no differences between the titles we have seen?

of course they have to get used to it...its got an 8core CPU with 8GB of unified memory and a custom GPU...who has developed for a system like that before??...they just dont have to learn a completely new coding techniques...

also...what do you mean "no differences in the titles we have seen?" have we been shown a comparison of the same title running on the Xbone and PS4??...nope...

can you blame people for thinking they wouldn't? it was MS themselves that said the policies were at the heart of the console's design and that they could not just "flip a switch"
I don't blame people, nor did I expect any of these 180s. I just decided I'd get a PS4 instead (after lambasting MS six ways to Sunday on how they were idiots).

But it looks like MS isn't cool with people deciding to get a PS4 instead.

I'll only consider MS as weaker from these changes if they were to actually ditch the Kinect, which I just can't see happening. That would be utter defeat of the Xbone as a device.

entremet

I don't get why you guys want identical consoles.

I like that Kinect is mandatory b/c it allows developers to bring different stuff to the table. I found the PS3 and 360 too samey as is. I like the divergence.

Performance comparisons? I don't know the games have to be out or near out I guess.

Huh? The Wii "won" this Gen handily and the other two were neck a neck.

If we count from when next Gen actually started, the PS3 was last.

Everyone tell me Sony won this gen easily worldwide.

Satchel

Banned
lets be perfectly clear before this becomes some sort of "rumor" like the 12gb of RAM nonsense...

the chances of MS dropping the price by $100 and keeping Kinect is ludicrous...$399 without Kinect? maybe ill give you that...but you have to remember...MS is already going to be taking a loss on each Xbone sold...the bean counters have already crunched numbers for months and months and decided what was the appropriate launch price based on hardware costs...

simply deciding to take a whole extra $100 loss per console this close to launch?...come onnnnnn....lets get real here for like 2.2 seconds...

Not sure what you're getting at here.

All I've ever said is that a kinectless 399 SKU is pointless.

Everything else is you extrapolating something that isn't there.

Everyone tell me Sony won this gen easily worldwide.

Did the PS3 sell 20 million console before last November I wasn't aware of.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
this wasn't something decided on just now, the jimmy fallon show they play COD without kinect. Even so, no game has launched yet. D4 is a kinect game but its been known since E3 that you can also play it with the controller.

I am not saying that every game will use Kinect, I am just pointing out that, from experience, as soon as some gimmick is available, many developers, especially first-party ones, tend to make some minor shitty use of it, just for shits and giggles. The dirt rubbing and object rotating in Uncharted on the Vita is among the worst examples I can think of.

This happens all the time and it will happen, especially if the platform holder encourages it. And then you will have to plug-in Kinect just because the developer "enhances your experience" by deciding that some goofy Kinect gesture is the best (and only) way to activate a freakin' switch.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Given what is currently known that is a perfectly reasonable position, yes (although for me personally Infamous easily beats anything the XBO has lined up, but of course that's not a launch game). But I have a hard time seeing how this would apply to the XBO if you also consider the rest of the generation (which you probably should, unless you're planning on getting both either way). Sony's suite of 1st party developers is much stronger than MS's, that's pretty much a universally accepted fact. And we have no idea what most of them are working on. What we do know is that there are 30 1st party PS4 titles currently being developed, of which 20 will be released during the console's first year. 12 of the 30 are new IPs. So while, yes, looking at the known titles right now might make the XBO look more attractive, I doubt that will be the case in a year. In fact, I suspect it might not even be the case after GamesCom. I doubt we already know the full PS4 launch (or at least launch window) lineup.

PG2G

It won't be. I now fully expect a lower price point and removed Kinect.

Wouldn't be surprised if this SKU came out eventually, but I fully expect them to be able to sell through the 'Day One' SKU at $499 this winter without much of a problem.

Monsieur

Banned
Since developers will use the kinect now that it comes with every system, will some exclusive games still require the kinect to play? Or can you play the game without the kinect now that it can be plugged off?

njean777

But historically, the most powerful console has never ended up with the most unit sales. Anyone who buys a console for its power over games should be questioning how they spend their money.

How is it hard to legitimately argue that Xbones lineup is better then ps4's? Games are subjective.

Since developers will use the kinect now that it comes with every system, will some exclusive games still require the kinect to play? Or can you play the game without the kinect now that it can be plugged off?

It will be just like it is on 360 right now. if its a kinect only game then you will need the kinect.

And with that the 180 is back on my wishlist. Thank you for listening to consumers Microsoft.

Will buy at first major pricedrop if I can see more than a handful of must have exclusives.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Have we seen a single game being demonstrated on both the XBO and the PS4 yet? I don't believe we have. And you can't really compare completely different (unfinished) games running on completely different (unfinished) engines and judge the consoles based on that. So while Forza currently looks better than Driveclub and Killzone looks better than Titanfall I fail to see how that's any real indication of how these consoles will compare.

Satchel

Banned
Given what is currently known that is a perfectly reasonable position, yes (although for me personally Infamous easily beats anything the XBO has lined up, but of course that's not a launch game). But I have a hard time seeing how this would apply to the XBO if you also consider the rest of the generation (which you probably should, unless you're planning on getting both either way). Sony's suite of 1st party developers is much stronger than MS's, that's pretty much a universally accepted fact. And we have no idea what most of them are working on. What we do know is that there are 30 1st party PS4 titles currently being developed, of which 20 will be released during the console's first year. 12 of the 30 are new IPs. So while, yes, looking at the known titles right now might make the XBO look more attractive, I doubt that will be the case in a year. In fact, I suspect it might not even be the case after GamesCom. I doubt we already know the full PS4 launch (or at least launch window) lineup.

That's a fair enough assessment.

I guess I should have been clear in explaining the context.

Despite the reversals, we still have many (mostly the same) posters claiming they will still refuse to buy even if the price drops, mainly because of power.

Hence, my point. If they said "All these changes are good, but ultimately none of what I've seen if the One library piques my interest", then that's fair enough. But "more power" seems to be the same fallback.

How is it hard to legitimately argue that Xbones lineup is better then ps4's? Games are subjective.

I did pretense my post with the premise that the PS3 exclusive lineup is widely accepted as better. To which I tried to then relate the rest. Interesting you didn't slap your subjective argument over that part.

Finalizer

This whole rant is totally undercut when you remember that Kinect could be turned off to begin with. The console was designed to be usable without it from the outset. Being allowed to unplug it is just a common-sense extension of that - if you've already turned it off, you should be able to unplug it and put it away. If this whole fear of splitting the development base or whatever was a real issue, then Kinect should never have been allowed to even be turned off to keep it an "integral part of the Xbone experience" or whatever you want to call it. That it could be deactivated to begin with meant that this sort of concern was already on the table; letting Xbone owners unplug the device doesn't make this a new issue.

Barzul

In my opinion, the biggest motivation for this change was not even the NSA/privacy arguments, that would have blown over once people got the consoles in their hands and could test if data was actually being collected, and have the results published online. The main concern, was I believe MS had no answer to the what if it falls and break question. Do they replace it for free? Not sure if MS has even figured out the logistics of selling the sensor separately. I'm surprised they didn't make this decision initially, it shows how out of touch they've been so far, just having it in the box is a huge incentive for developers. Anyways good job on this reversal. What this does is expose all those NSA arguments for how flawed they were. Surely if the NSA was making MS package the Kinect and going to use it to spy on everyone, they can't have it being optional can they?

njean777

That's a fair enough assessment.

I guess I should have been clear in explaining the context.

Despite the reversals, we still have many (mostly the same) posters claiming they will still refuse to buy even if the price drops, mainly because of power.

Hence, my point. If they said "All these changes are good, but ultimately none of what I've seen if the One library piques my interest", then that's fair enough. But "more power" seems to be the same fallback.

I did pretense my post with the premise that the PS3 exclusive lineup is widely accepted as better. To which I tried to then relate the rest. Interesting you didn't slap your subjective argument over that part.

I dont need to lol, the ps3's lineup being better is a subjective statement as well. You can argue any games console's lineup is better then others, doesn't make it an argument at all though as no matter what anybody says neither party will be right.

Cipherr

People said the same for drm and even the required kinect. it's happening.

Yep, its definitely coming. And thats a good thing. I don't want to have to pay for it.

With this latest 180 they are right on the wire of the last change needed to save this hot mess. Go ahead and introduce a second SKU without the Kinect and we will be good to go.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Great to hear. While this ultimately doesn't resolve the issue of paying for something you don't want for those interested, it should atleast qualm the fears of the people who are afraid everyone is spying on them. Though they should probably throw their phone away too.

To me personally, I like this regarding fighting games. Back when XB1 was daily online, mandatory kinect and all, imagine running a mutiday tournament. Making sure every console has been online once in the last day, having to lug Kinect around too...nightmare. Now it's perfectly viable and helps a game like Killer Instinct a lot.

As for a kinectless sku...atleast it's clearly possible now. It is a very tough choice to make. Aggressively packing it in has merit to making it more of a legitimate choice for devs to use, but they could undercut the PS4 without it. I still don't see it happening for launch, but as time passes I am sure one will eventually hit. Just a matter of when.

Alpha_eX

Microsoft are never going to remove one of the key features of their console to sell more units. Calling for it's removal and splitting the user-base for the sake of $80 or whatever is the dumbest thing being said about the Xbox One.

People calling for the removal without thinking about what that means should just go buy a PS4 and then feel the burn when/if a game comes out that forces them to pay $100 for an accessory to play it.

MS are much more likely to lower the price than to downgrade a key feature to an optional accessory.

I don't like fighters, and I prefer arcade racers over sims. There is your legitimate argument. You could go on and on. Ryse looks like a QTE fest, Titanfall could be played on 2 other platforms, etc.

Anyone that feels it's "hard" to argue one launch lineup is better is taking their own personal taste and trying to project it on everyone else.

Ubiquitar

Neo Member
For goodness' sake what has Microsoft been doing? My head hurts from just trying to keep up with them. If all these stances they now take were manifested and explained to us clearly from the beginning they might have gotten my money.

Joco

Don't you need Kinect to turn the console on in the first place? I could have sworn I read somewhere that there is no power button, rather you turn the console on by voice activation.

Microsoft are never going to remove one of the key features of their console to sell more units. Calling for it's removal and splitting the user-base for the sake of $80 or whatever is the dumbest thing being said about the Xbox One.

People calling for the removal without thinking about what that means should just go buy a PS4 and then feel the burn when/if a game comes out that forces them to pay $100 for an accessory to play it.

MS are much more likely to lower the price than to downgrade a key feature to an optional accessory.

I completely agree.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
One step closer to a kinectless SKU.

I read somewhere earlier in the year the sensor costs almost as much as the console itself so they could probably have it priced at $349 or $374 usd without kinect.

The Xbox One still has many extra features over the PS4. Being the all in one media center and making every TV "smart" being big things for some people.

Rodelero

Except that it would be foolish to just buy on the basis of a launch lineup. Microsoft have gone hard early and tailed off hugely two generations in a row, they will likely do the same this time. I'll hedge my bets with the far stronger first party and the company that clearly cares about providing great exclusives throughout the gen.

Either way, the launch lineups aren't so different. The multiplat stuff is far more impressive.

As for this particular 180, it's more great news, but I'm finding it hard to trust Microsoft. It's much easier to trust the company who got it right all along than the one that is stumbling to get it right.

Top Bottom