• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Same as before. Only they're now trying to appease those that were concerned about being spied on 24/7, or didn't want a peripheral in front of their TV if they don't intend to use it.

Which I consider the bigger problem in practice, especially when you own multiple similarly visually "intrusive" devices. Waiting for the first composite adapter for Kinect/PSExe/Wii-Sensorbar offending my taste for simplicity and clean design.

Finalizer

I doubt that many people who didn't consider a XB1 have now changed their minds.

'Sup.

Admittedly, it's more of a "I'll get one down the line if there's a compelling software library" more than anything, but it's a step from "fuck off" I was at before. And yeah, I'll accept that I'm probably a pretty tiny minority. But hey.

Now we just need a 180 on the XBLG paywall on apps that can be accessed for free on basically any other device and that'll be another step in the right direction... Lets see, that puts us at 900, still need one more for the coveted 1080. Hmm...

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Good job Microsoft, you're nearly there... you've removed my last objection with owning an Xbox One.

Now, I'll wait for the inevitable Kinectless SKU sold down the line to resolve my last standing issue with purchasing your system. Of course the longer that takes the more heavily I'll be ingrained in Sony's PS4 ecosystem *shrug*

FeiRR

Banned
Now now, let's be fair here - it's not like every company in the world is going to hold back features just because 100% of the audience can't/don't want to use them. If they were totally doing away with controller navigation of menus or whatever, that'd be one thing, but this is just giving a new option for those who can use it, and now those who don't want to or can't in the first place can unplug the device if they choose to.

My impression from Albert's post is that they've built the system around this functionality. That was their design choice. I know nobody's going to force me to buy their product. I'm just expressing an opinion on what could be the results of that choice and that is limiting their potential consumer base to several languages and excluding some people out. We have a lot of "console wars" threads and people waging the odds. I see a lot of price and hardware power arguments but hardly anybody pays attention to other important aspects like actual usability of the console if you're not that iconic American dudebro.

People who say that Kinect supports 6 languages should remember that in a sentence like "Xbox, go to Killer Instinct" only the words "go to" can be translated. The rest may be pronounced in various ways and may render the command unrecognizable. This is a problem button or touch based UIs don't have to cope with.

Mael

But then all we've heard since May is about Microsoft not clarifying anything.

So Albert (a key figure) joins the forum to do exactly that and yes, you are right it is "PR", but as you said, I guess its more attitude by a few towards his presence given his intent that seems strange to me.

If I was in a Nintendo thread that was addressing the Gamepad's design flaws and Reggie came in explaining what the impetus was for those decisions, my first instinct wouldn't be "pffft, whatevs Reggie, this is just PR".

I thought developer/executive presence was part of what makes this forum great no?

The dismissive attitude seems like a counter productive one in terms of fostering that sort of confidence by devs and execs to continue to join and interact with the community.

That's all.

Not all PR is bad PR.
Look at the Iwata Asks if we're talking Nintendo.
That's a bit of PR that people actually like and want more of.
I mean PR is really Public Relation, because you hear something you like in a format you like doesn't mean it's not PR.

'Sup.

Admittedly, it's more of a "I'll get one down the line if there's a compelling software library" more than anything, but it's a step from "fuck off" I was at before. And yeah, I'll accept that I'm probably a pretty tiny minority. But hey.

Now we just need a 180 on the XBLG paywall on apps that can be accessed for free on basically any other device and that'll be another step in the right direction... Lets see, that puts us at 900, still need one more for the coveted 1080. Hmm...

I'm right there with you, tiny minority or not. I went from "never" to "mid generation, probably."

I guess all that backtracking worked for the two of us.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

So Albert (a key figure) joins the forum to do exactly that and yes, you are right it is "PR", but as you said, I guess its more attitude by a few towards his presence given his intent that seems strange to me.

If I was in a Nintendo thread that was addressing the Gamepad's design flaws and Reggie came in explaining what the impetus was for those decisions, my first instinct wouldn't be "pffft, whatevs Reggie, this is just PR".

I thought developer/executive presence was part of what makes this forum great no?

The dismissive attitude seems like a counter productive one in terms of fostering that sort of confidence by devs and execs to continue to join and interact with the community.

That's all.

I for one am not dismissing what he says, it is just completely under the realm of the 'on point' messaging MS is trying to get out there. The same would be said about Reggie if all he talked about was Nintendo and their policy changes/stances.

Most developers that post here at least talk about other games and systems.

MogCakes

That's all.

You said that Al's presence here was 'not PR in the strictest sense' and bish basically replied with 'no, it is most definitely PR in the strictest sense'.

KOHIPEET

I can almost feel that Kinect-less bundle coming for 349 (or 343:). It's just that this is starting to look so desperate. (Which I don't really give a damn about, because it's good or the customers)

Do any of you think that all these modification in policies and all this backing mean that X1 preorders are trully below their expectations?

Bsigg12

Im more thinking of better with kinect and kinect features, are devs likley to spend more time and money on a thing that is optional to connect and not always going to be there?, im not so sure i know if i was running budgets id slash that shit right out as soon as they made this announcement.

So if Microsoft told you for every game you make that has a developed kinect feature we'll spot you x money, you would cut that feature? Microsoft will be pushing to get devs to build meaningful interactions with the Kinect rather than half assed motion controls. With the IR emitters in the controllers, they have access to motion sensing and positioning with the controller so they can do cool things there.

Compare the Kinect to the iPad. No one wanted it beyond fanatics when it was announced. With every iteration, the iPad has found its way as a norm in every day life. The Kinect being included from the start can now help push development of the tech. Without pushing it, the tech can't go anywhere. Give it 2-3 years of being fully supported and tinkered with from devs and we'll see some really cool uses and growth in the possibilities.

Mael

I'm right there with you, tiny minority or not. I went from "never" to "mid generation, probably."

make that 34.e: goddamnit
Now I won't lock the door and tell the visitor to stay the hell away from my house when said visitor comes with a xbone to play

Alx

Not all PR is bad PR.
Look at the Iwata Asks if we're talking Nintendo.
That's a bit of PR that people actually like and want more of.
I mean PR is really Public Relation, because you hear something you like in a format you like doesn't mean it's not PR.

That's true. And it's nice to have a direct (and clear) feedback in this very forum. Especially when MS communication has been so lacking recently.
Keep up the good job Albert, and thanks for all your contributions ! :)

Ovek

7Member7
LMAO!
I don't know if you're serious but my god it's funny.
Protip : value is defined by the customers, not the corporations or some crap like that.
It's pretty clear the current deal provide more value than the inital deal.
I'm pretty sure the market has spoken here.

And about mandatory kinect, appart from 1rst party devs who were going to use it?
Let's be real 3rd parties can't even wrap their heads around a touchscreen or a stick with buttons so the giant clusterfuck of input that is kinect?

Nah just poking the bear. ;)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

That's all.
You contradicted yourself in the space of two posts. MogCakes was kind enough to point it out above.

We have many community managers, CEOs, and other devs who are self-identified and participate in various threads - but when they comment on the projects that their company is involved with, that messaging has been hashed out before it ever gets here, believe me.

It's great to be able to ask questions directly to people who are authorized to represent their companies online and on this forum specifically, but calling public relations for what it is - especially in light of Microsoft's months of disastrous PR post-Orth - is not being dismissive, it's being honest.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That's true. And it's nice to have a direct (and clear) feedback in this very forum. Especially when MS communication has been so lacking recently.

Thank the team behind the posts as well.

Mael

So if Microsoft told you for every game you make that has a developed kinect feature we'll spot you x money, you would cut that feature? Microsoft will be pushing to get devs to build meaningful interactions with the Kinect rather than half assed motion controls. With the IR emitters in the controllers, they have access to motion sensing and positioning with the controller so they can do cool things there.

Compare the Kinect to the iPad. No one wanted it beyond fanatics when it was announced. With every iteration, the iPad has found its way as a norm in every day life. The Kinect being included from the start can now help push development of the tech. Without pushing it, the tech can't go anywhere. Give it 2-3 years of being fully supported and tinkered with from devs and we'll see some really cool uses and growth in the possibilities.

And now Kinect is the next iPad, I swear sometimes it's like a parody here.

Exactly! Direct informations without filters is better nowadays.
There's a reason people like direct interviews and the direct of the competitions are so well received.
I'm not one to praise MSFT easily but kuddos here.

Nevasleep

Now just make it the same price as a PS4 and i'll buy one.

Albert Penello - Sr. Director - Product Planning, Compete and User Research at Microsoft Director Of Marketing at Microsoft
Always a good start.

Benedict

But what about the switches?
You can't just switch the switch right?

MabelSBoard640Fr.jpg

Might get one down the line but after dealing with 4 RRoD's over the 360 years it's not guarantee. Some good games but generally a shitty company.

Bsigg12

And now Kinect is the next iPad, I swear sometimes it's like a parody here.

Exactly! Direct informations without filters is better nowadays.
There's a reason people like direct interviews and the direct of the competitions are so well received.
I'm not one to praise MSFT easily but kuddos here.

That's not what I'm saying. You have to push to get adoption. Who the hell knew they wanted a tablet everyday in their life? Outside of businesses that used them every day, no one. It changed mobile computing. Microsoft has to maintain a stance that the Kinect will be packed in with every console. They believe in what they got and they need people to see it for themselves before they bail on it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They are. And the ones that are not are including Kinect features.

Come on - if the Kinect is not a pack in, devs will likely ignore it. If it stays a pack in, then we will see devs do more with it. Which could be cool - or not, but it would have been interesting.

Kinect 1 sold millions - more than enough to justify make kinect games even though it wasn't a pack in. And all of those sales were people that wanted it enough to pay for it. Bundling it means a larger addressable market but you don't know how many actually want games for it.

It just feels like it is turning into a voice control plus occasional minor gestures thing. That might be a good thing, if MS don't try and ram the 'you are the controller' nonsense down our throats again, but instead allow kinect to simply add value in lots of small ways - overall that could be worth it.

Mael

That's not what I'm saying. You have to push to get adoption. Who the hell knew they wanted a tablet everyday in their life? Outside of businesses that used them every day, no one. It changed mobile computing. Microsoft has to maintain a stance that the Kinect will be packed in with every console. They believe in what they got and they need people to see it for themselves before they bail on it.

Freezie KO is right though, it's the next gamepad more than the next iPad, seriously.
Apple didn't have to do anything different to make it a success.
That's like saying the Surface is the next iPad because you know no one wanted a laptop with touchscreen before or some crap like that.
We can do that all day :
It's the next wristwatch because who knew they wanted to know the time without having to get it from their jacket or something
It's the next Office because who knew that they wanted to use a software to write something instead of the all tried and true typewritter....
I can do it all day.

Kinect 1 sold millions - more than enough to justify make kinect games even though it wasn't a pack in. And all of those sales were people that wanted it enough to pay for it. Bundling it means a larger addressable market but you don't know how many actually want games for it.

Games for Kinect didn't seem to far that good though

shink

You have to wonder how bad pre order sales must have been for them to do all this.

Kinect included in all skus is a good thing, wish Sony did the same to ensure it's actually considered as part of the game development.

Finalizer

make that 34.e: goddamnit
Now I won't lock the door and tell the visitor to stay the hell away from my house when said visitor comes with a xbone to play

Well that does it for me.
They have turned an undesirable console into a desirable one.

Welp, there's your Gaf anecdotal evidence. This move's gotten some potential customers for ya, MS.

WHAT SAY YOU NOW, ELTORRO?!

As for the whole Albert Penello discussion, yeah sure he's PR by all accounts, but I'd say he at least feels more genuine then a lot of the voices coming from MS. I'd take him over the likes of Nelson any day of the week, so I'd vote for MS to put him more at the forefront if they let him address the audience like they let him do 'round here.

demolitio

If I ever buy an Xbox that kinect is going straight into the trash

Oh come on...You wouldn't even try to sell it or trade it in at GS for the people that broke theirs? :D

This is another big step in the right direction. This is what the "unfair backlash" got us...Some common sense decisions to please the customers they need.

I'm not sure how they could say they're not altering their vision though because I doubt anyone would believe that at this point, especially when articles specifically mention them altering their vision for the future.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder how devs approach this? If MS just changed this policy, then devs that have kinect for ancillary stuff like voice may not have coded alternatives. Or will the certification already require a controller based alternative for kinect features?

Welp, there's your Gaf anecdotal evidence. This move's gotten some potential customers for ya, MS.

As for the whole Albert Penello discussion, yeah sure he's PR by all accounts, but I'd say he at least feels more genuine then a lot of the voices coming from MS. I'd take him over the likes of Nelson any day of the week, so I'd vote for MS to put him more at the forefront if they let him address the audience like they let him do 'round here.

ElTorro said he preordered one.

I probably will too, but I'll try and resist the tech lust until next year. Have a PS4 paid off and there aren't enough exclusives on Xbox to justify it yet. But if MS show Xbox at gamescom working really well with UK TV like sky etc, I might fold.

Pug

I wonder how devs approach this? If MS just changed this policy, then devs that have kinect for ancillary stuff like voice may not have coded alternatives. Or will the certification already require a controller based alternative for kinect features?

I think that would have been a given anyway, bar features where Kinect is the only way to utilise the feature.

Mael

It sure as hell is more honest than shills and astro turfers

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Yeah, I still feel a bit like I should not encourage certain plans Microsoft had and all the bullshitting "infinite power of the clowd" messaging they put out, despite the 180s they did at least on the first issue. But I am looking forward to play around with the XB1 SDK.

Finalizer

I probably will too, but I'll try and resist the tech lust until next year.

So that's another one (two?) to the list...

Nah, count the amount of "Now get rid of Kinect and do $399" posts and compare. Besides, words of appreciation are cheap compared to serious preorders. ;-P

Oh, so now it's "it has to be more than the people who want a Kinect-less SKU?" I SEE YOU MOVING THOSE GOALPOSTS DAMMIT

heh

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So that's another one (two?) to the list...

Oh, so now it's "it has to be more than the people who want a Kinect-less SKU?" I SEE YOU MOVING THOSE GOALPOSTS DAMMIT

heh

Maybe but I really want Netflix and TV guide outside of the paywall as Xbox would be a secondary box for me. And not needing kinect was only ever a practical concern for me - I can't easily have it set up permanently.

Dunkers92

Crazy how many u-turns they have made with this thing. I am one of those who has gone from never getting one, to now considering it, if they offer a bundle without kinect.

It all seems very rushed and knew jerk reactions which concerns me. Yes their product was unpopular, but boy, have they shown a lack of confidence in their original plan.

They must still not be very happy with their preorder numbers if they are willing to make it work without kinect plugged in, which is the one thing I NEVER thought they would change. It was the one aspect that they seemed completely confident in

Castef

Banned
You have to wonder how bad pre order sales must have been for them to do all this.

Kinect included in all skus is a good thing, wish Sony did the same to ensure it's actually considered as part of the game development.

I consider this move more strictly linked to the whole NSA mess instead of the preorder quantity.

In this very delicate (and bad) situation announcing that Kinect could be completely turned off is a smart move.

Instead, removing Kinect from the box would be a really BAD move for Microsoft. I hope they'll stick to this plan and continue bundling Kinect with the console.

Finalizer

Maybe but I really want Netflix and TV guide outside of the paywall as Xbox would be a secondary box for me. And not needing kinect was only ever a practical concern for me - I can't easily have it set up permanently.

While I was mostly just being silly, come to think of it it would've been kinda interesting to do some surveys or something after each of the policy changes to see how much each switch caused people to warm back up to the idea of buying an Xbone. I mean, sure, totally anecdotal and probably not significantly useful, but it'd be a nifty insight anyway.

Top Bottom