• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

I really really hope they don't create a bundle without Kinect. When developers know for sure that every One owner is also a Kinect owner, they'll have an incentive to create great Kinect games or games with creative and interesting use of the device. That wasn't the case on the 360.

Why do peopel still think this? Just look at the launch lineup, if they want people to get excitet about gaming with kinect they will have to show us why. MS keep saying the great core games will come, you will see. Well they have been saying that for the last 3 years. Kinect 2 might be better im sure but without proof im not going to spend and extra 100 bucks on it.

Show us great kinect games MS not interface, voice and tv controls. Then i will consider it.

Sony is now in panic mode... Microsoft is back in the game.
I said they shouldn't be that arrogant. For once Microsoft listening to the gaming community complaints (even when they could have somehow kept their vision for some points imo) and still being quite humble makes Sony's PR looking like stupid people. Well, it's not like gaming company's PR are that good at their job anyway.

So :
- no always online required (only first connection)
- no DRM (equivalent to Xbox 360 at least)
- no kinect required

Now, for the better it's just about games !

Mael

Chû Totoro;76134323 said:
I said they shouldn't be that arrogant. For once Microsoft listening to the gaming community complaints (even when they could have somehow kept their vision for some points imo) and still being quite humble makes Sony's PR looking like stupid people. Well, it's not like gaming company's PR are that good at their job anyway.

So :
- no kinect required

Did Sony announce something I wasn't aware?
You can't lend games to friends anymore or something?

So :
- no kinect required

How, exactly?

Microsoft needs to market the shit out of this. Just an announcement on Twitter isn't going to cut it. The news that Xbox One is not user-friendly is already out there, if they want to sell, they need to spin that around.

Why do peopel still think this? Just look at the launch lineup, if they want people to get excitet about gaming with kinect they will have to show us why. MS keep saying the great core games will come, you will see. Well they have been saying that for the last 3 years. Kinect 2 might be better im sure but without proof im not going to spend and extra 100 bucks on it.

Show us great kinect games MS not interface, voice and tv controls. Then i will consider it.

Do you judge every console generation by the launch lineup? The PS2 and 360 must be failed products in your eyes.

Busty

Banned
At this point I'd have more respect for MS if they had the courage to actually stand by their original vision for this thing.

Their total reversals of Xbone policy mere months after unveiling the console make them look weak and indecisive.

With their original vision for the Xbone now totally compromised where do they go from here and how could they have gotten it so fundamentally wrong?

Sean*O

If I ever buy an Xbox that kinect is going straight into the trash

LOL. Better tuck it away in the closet/garage on the off chance someone makes a game that you actually want to play that uses it in a way you find acceptable. If nothing else you have a shiny new diskinect to sell or trade with the system down the line.

I feel trolled.

At this point I'd have more respect for MS if they had the courage to actually stand by their original vision for this thing.

Their total reversals of Xbone policy mere months after releasing the console make them look weak and indecisive.

With their original vision for the Xbone now totally compromised where do they go from here and how could they have gotten it so fundamentally wrong?

The 'MS is looking weak now' line of thought is the American equivalent of 'Square just shot themselves in the foot'.

ZiggyRoXx

Banned
Funny thing is, allowing for the cost of Kinnect in the BOM, made them compromise on the GPU and RAM type that was used.

Cheaping out on those two components for a now non mandatory piece of the Xbox's 'raison d'etre' has put them at a disadvantage they won't be able to fix.

What an utter cluster fuck of a dept Xbox became under that prick Mattrick's direction...

Sean*O

Their total reversals of Xbone policy mere months after releasing the console make them look weak and indecisive.

They should fall on their sword like a honorable samurai would? They are about making money not being suicidal.. at much as it seemed that might have been the case given their previous stances, I don't think it should be expected for them not to adapt and kill themselves.

Although they can't seem to win no matter which way they turn. I guess they will just keep spinning.

Mael

The 'MS is looking weak now' line of thought is the American equivalent of 'Square just shot themselves in the foot'.

Actually it bring into the mind of people who are aware of the total turnaround that MSFT can totally change everything for the worse in the bat of an eye.
For the others that don't follow closely, it's merely the crap products that take customer rights and spy on you.
Rumours work that way you know.

jns

The console hasn't been released yet; so I just see these changes as .... changes in policy before console launch. Probably because they want lots of people to buy the console, so they're listening to peoples concerns.

Funny how some folks are finding fault in a company listening to its users .... kinda like how Sony did.

But please carry on guys :thumbup:

bankster

Banned
One step closer to a kinectless SKU.

I read somewhere earlier in the year the sensor costs almost as much as the console itself so they could probably have it priced at $349 or $374 usd without kinect.

The Xbox One still has many extra features over the PS4. Being the all in one media center and making every TV "smart" being big things for some people.

The IR blaster is in Kinect. So basically you will have to have it connected to use the TV features... unless you want to use the gamepad to control the TV features, which no one will want to do. Well, at least no casual will do.

In real life, you can either have the smart tv features and Kinect, or neither.

Actually it bring into the mind of people who are aware of the total turnaround that MSFT can totally change everything for the worse in the bat of an eye.
For the others that don't follow closely, it's merely the crap products that take customer rights and spy on you.
Rumours work that way you know.

Perhaps you would have a point if the console were a couple of years into its cycle, but it hasn't even been released yet. And you're completely ignoring why they changed it in the first place - because the customer demanded it. It makes absolutely no sense to piss off that same customer after winning him back.

spekkeh

Banned
I think it would've been better if they simply gave you the option to turn Kinect off when the console is off or used for all non-game purposes, but keep it mandatory for gameplay. There really seems to be nothing left of Microsoft's vision for the console future now, but the same console as before, only with the gimmick packed in (but not needed).

Then again, they probably felt being third place is better for them than being no place.

Mael

Perhaps you would have a point if the console were a couple of years into its cycle, but it hasn't even been released yet. And you're completely ignoring why they changed it in the first place - because the customer demanded it. It makes absolutely no sense to piss off that same customer after winning him back.

It's unclear whether or not they've won their customer back (considering what is still left they're still dead in PAL+JPN btw).
But still it's MSFT so like the whole NXE/Kinect they can totally rebrand and search a new focus midgen.
The worst part is that it shows absolutely no confidence in their vision or their products.
As a customer I wouldn't put more confidence in the product than the company that made it.
That's the bigger issue IMO.

ps2/360 had kinect mandatory?

Reread the posts. He's judging Kinect 2 based on the launch lineup which is a pretty ridiculous thing to do.

In any case, you're just going to have to accept that Kinect is part of the XBO. One might not care much for bluray, but we're paying MS and Sony to incorporate it nonetheless. If you detest the price so much, don't buy it. It's a simple solution. But don't complain about the Kinect using its previous iteration, which was never properly integrated into the console's userbase, as a means to prop up your argument against Kinect 2. That is disingenuous.

Alx

The worst part is that it shows absolutely no confidence in their vision or their products.
As a customer I wouldn't put more confidence in the product than the company that made it.
That's the bigger issue IMO.

You could say that about the cancellation of DRM which is the only "true" 180 that happened at MS.
But how is giving the user the ability to unplug his kinect a lack of confidence ? As long as the kinect is still packed in and all its features are available, their "vision" still holds.
I really don't understand the reactions to this announcement. People act like MS cancelled all kinect features altogether, when all they did was give an additional option that people were asking for already.

Ylyon

Neo Member
no kinect required? Mh, I guess I can get this console then.... let's see what Microsoft will show to the European market, since a lot of features that work in America won't do the same here....

XeNoN89

Banned

So :
- no kinect required

What are you talking about? The only people being arrogant were Microsoft by trying to force ridiculous policies that everybody hated. They have been FORCED to change these due to the backlash. Sony has done nothing wrong in all this time. The only people with stupid looking PR are Microsoft at this point. I'm astounded that you even tried to spin it this way.

having options is always a good thing. I don't wear a tinfoil hat and my daughter using kinect a lot so this wasn't an issue for me. My issues were the 24hr check in and not including a cheap headset.

they shouldn't release an SKU without kinect because 100% adoption rate could prove to be a very awesome thing... I think they should swallow the cost of kinect and price match the PS4 just to out value its competition. average consumers look at pricetags before anything. I'm sure MS could resurrect jesus and some of you would have some weird random reason to hate on it though lol

Mael

You could say that about the cancellation of DRM which is the only "true" 180 that happened at MS.
But how is giving the user the ability to unplug his kinect a lack of confidence ? As long as the kinect is still packed in and all its features are available, their "vision" still holds.
I really don't understand the reactions to this announcement. People act like MS cancelled all kinect features altogether, when all they did was give an additional option that people were asking for already.

I was more talking in general, after the initial 180 the rest is icing on the cake really.
I expect them to offer free games next.
Heck they did that with the original xbox after all.

Did Sony announce something I wasn't aware?
You can't lend games to friends anymore or something?
No they didn't announce anything like that. I just refer to the discussion I had with some in the 'Sony: 'Don't be jerks' if you want indies to work with you' thread.
Sony has a very good system (the best imo both specs and gaming wise) but they need to focus on what they have to offer and don't try to focus on what the others don't have. It'll just be obvious for everyone if their job is well done. And I also said that Microsoft proved that they can listen to some complaints. And here we have the proof that they are trying to go the right way. Once all the big flaws Xbox One are out what will Sony have? The games... and it's not just something written on a piece of paper. It's not specs. It takes time and it's more challenging to prove that you have the best games... Now it's the good times that awaits us : gameplay videos, interviews about the content of the games, previews, reviews etc.

How, exactly?

Microsoft needs to market the shit out of this. Just an announcement on Twitter isn't going to cut it. The news that Xbox One is not user-friendly is already out there, if they want to sell, they need to spin that around.

They may not have to. The people who where making all the fuss about this are the ones who will read this news first. People who were not aware of all the things we pointed out being flaws will just discover a new system a few weeks before launch like the majority of the buyers.

What are you talking about? The only people being arrogant were Microsoft by trying to force ridiculous policies that everybody hated. They have been FORCED to change these due to the backlash. Sony has done nothing wrong in all this time. The only people with stupid looking PR are Microsoft at this point. I'm astounded that you even tried to spin it this way.

They used to but with the debacle of the E3 announcement and all they were more discrete, you can't deny it.
Sony is not really arrogant but in the specific thread about indies they sound to be. I know it won't be the case every time but I was just pointing the fact that if they go this way it may be dangerous because Microsoft can still change things... and that's what they're doing. They're turning the "no way" into a "let's look at all these games and decide after"

Mael

Chû Totoro;76136379 said:
No they didn't announce anything like that. I just refer to the discussion I had with some in the 'Sony: 'Don't be jerks' if you want indies to work with you' thread.
Sony has a very good system (the best imo both specs and gaming wise) but they need to focus on what they have to offer and don't try to focus on what the others don't have. It'll just be obvious for everyone if their job is well done. And I also said that Microsoft proved that they can listen to some complaints. And here we have the proof that they are trying to go the right way. Once all the big flaws Xbox One are out what will Sony have? The games... and it's not just something written on a piece of paper. It's not specs. It takes time and it's more challenging to prove that you have the best games... Now it's the good times that awaits us : gameplay videos, interviews about the content of the games, previews, reviews etc.

They also have the price and the more appealing product.
Seriously if you think that given the choice between the two people would choose a xbone you're living in the US and that's all.

Bundy

Banned

So :
- no kinect required

I'm laughing my ass off.
Actually, SONY did everything right since february 2013 (PS4 reveal).
MS did everything wrong, brings one 180 after another and is playing catch up with the PS4 since the XBone reveal.
No idea what you're smoking.

They also have the price and the more appealing product.
Seriously if you think that given the choice between the two people would choose a xbone you're living in the US and that's all.

You're misinterpreting my posts. I'm not saying Microsoft has won thanks to this. It may not be a game changer but it's still a very good thing for them and all the people interested in the Xbox One.

For me Xbox One was when first announced a bad gaming system (maybe excellent for other things but yet for gaming... no, sorry) and now it's a good gaming system with great games (depending on your tastes... I personally don't like the Xbox One launch games).
Or at least it deserves some attention. The price is of course important but the price is tied to the value you put in all they have to offer. For some, the TV functions or the exclusives are going to justify the 100$ difference.

Mael

Chû Totoro;76136831 said:
You're misinterpreting my posts. I'm not saying Microsoft has won thanks to this. It may not be a game changer but it's still a very good thing for them and all the people interested in the Xbox One.

For me Xbox One was when first announced a bad gaming system (maybe excellent for other things but yet for gaming... no, sorry) and now it's a good gaming system with great games (depending on your tastes... I personally don't like the Xbox One launch games).
Or at least it deserves some attention. The price is of course important but the price is tied to the value you put in all they have to offer. For some, the TV functions or the exclusives are going to justify the 100$ difference.

Ah ok.
I think no one can deny that it is fantastic news for the xbone.
It's only relevant to the xbone and may make it become a not laughing stock of the market in everywhere but the US.
But it's still DOA in anywhere but the US and what they've shown so far doesn't help at all.
Again, if you're not interested it's still that crappy machine who take your resale rigths and spy on you at night, whether it's true or not.

I'm laughing my ass off.
Actually, SONY did everything right since february 2013 (PS4 reveal).
MS did everything wrong, brings one 180 after another and is playing catch up with the PS4 since the XBone reveal.
No idea what you're smoking.

Agree with your post. And that's the start of what I'm explaining. Read again and you'll understand that the only thing I'm trying to make you understand is that while Microsoft is playing catch up they may succeed and have a comparable gaming offer when launching their system.

You made your choice, it's obvious. That doesn't mean that some people who were deceive by Microsoft's announcements won't be happy to change their minds because they now can play the franchises they like on a system working how they want.

Ah ok.
I think no one can deny that it is fantastic news for the xbone.
It's only relevant to the xbone and may make it become a not laughing stock of the market in everywhere but the US.
But it's still DOA in anywhere but the US and what they've shown so far doesn't help at all.
Again, if you're not interested it's still that crappy machine who take your resale rigths and spy on you at night, whether it's true or not.
Exactly. I'm not interested either but I salute their efforts (it doesn't "spy" and "take resale rights"... anymore at least).

Chû Totoro;76136995 said:
Agree with your post. And that's the start of what I'm explaining. Read again and you'll understand that the only thing I'm trying to make you understand is that while Microsoft is playing catch up they may succeed and have a comparable gaming offer when launching their system.

You made your choice, it's obvious. That doesn't mean that some people who were deceive by Microsoft's announcements won't be happy to change their minds because they now can play the franchises they like on a system working how they want.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on ME.

Withnail

Not forcing that huge ugly useless camera onto people is definitely A Good Thing.

But MS is just completely adrift. I'm sure if GAF tried hard enough it could convince MS to add cup holders to XB1.

mocoworm

I don't see this as a 180 at all. Kinect is still a pack in and the userbase is not fragmented. Every developer can use Kinect functionality.

This is GREAT news is it not ? You can unplug it if you want to but in doing so you will degrade your UI experience. I can't believe that people turn this into a negative. It's exactly what GAF was wanting. Kinect to not be required to make the system work.

Jezbollah

I don't see this as a 180 at all. Kinect is still a pack in and the userbase is not fragmented. Every developer can use Kinect functionality.

This is GREAT news is it not ? You can unplug it if you want to but in doing so you will degrade your UI experience. I can't believe that people turn this into a negative. It's exactly what GAF was wanting. Kinect to not be required to make the system work.

It would be great news if they didnt bundle it with Kinect and were able to price the console accordingly.

Vizzeh

Banned
I admit as much as msoft have got it sooo wrong with their policies that their changing, its a bot more appealing, if they open some first party studios and get some good games I may even purchase, not 3rd party generic shooters that are same old.

Ultimately tho from owning the 360 (and ps3 for exclusives) sony for me has shown alot more appetite for gaming with their studios and last few years/ps4 direction.

Msoft sacrificed gamers for public casuals, im al about the gaming hardware and PS4 is significantly better with a good record for games, variation of games and quality. .. so this isnt enough to change my mind. (With msofts wealth they shouod have invested more in gaming hardware)

Ps4 at launch for me. But at least this is something

Have to say MS have been doing the right things since E3. Still only going PC and PS4 for the next 12 months or so. But with the changes MS have made I can see myself picking up a Xbox One some day, hopefully by then there will be a price cut, a slim line console and no boxed Kinect.

Castef

Banned
Now sell an XBone without one, and I may consider it.

Sometimes the Neogaf gang reminds me of this...

axe-gang-dance-o.gif

Mael

Sometimes the Neogaf gang reminds me of this...

axe-gang-dance-o.gif

Who can blame them?
I mean at this point we try to get everything we want and more.

If people can't afford to spend the retail price that is on the XONE then they should get a PS4.

Kinect is not separate to the XONE, it is part of the product which can be turned off if required by the user. It shouldn't be viewed as 2 separate items. The vision of the product is with kinect. As such, it is priced accordingly.

It is separate now since it's not mandatory anymore

mocoworm

It would be great news if they didnt bundle it with Kinect and were able to price the console accordingly.

If people can't afford to spend the retail price that is on the XONE then they should get a PS4.

Kinect is not separate to the XONE, it is part of the product which can be turned off if required by the user. It shouldn't be viewed as 2 separate items. The vision of the product is with kinect, especially to voice control the console and navigate UI. As such, it is priced accordingly.

Alx

Not forcing that huge ugly useless camera onto people is definitely A Good Thing.

But MS is just completely adrift. I'm sure if GAF tried hard enough it could convince MS to add cup holders to XB1.

Sure, it's all a reaction to GAF and not at all to the bad buzz about privacy issues and data leaks that has been running in the media...

But don't complain about the Kinect using its previous iteration, which was never properly integrated into the console's userbase, as a means to prop up your argument against Kinect 2. That is disingenuous.

i only own a 360
tried kinect on my friends console, never bought one
fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on ME.

kinect should not be bundled.
if removing kinect brings down the price good for them.

Bundy

Banned
Chû Totoro;76136995 said:

Exactly. I'm not interested either but I salute their efforts (it doesn't "spy" and "take resale rights"... anymore at least).
Yeah, I made my choice. I already posted that once, in a different thread.
My personal (!) view:
MS pissed my off to no end and they showed us what they think about the gaming business in general, what direction they want to go and what they're planning in the future.
They did some 180's now, but I'm sure in the future, they will be back on track with their first plan.
Why they did their 180's? Because they media began to kick their ass. Before that,
they couldn't give more of a crap about us gamers.

Just because they did some 180's, doesn't mean I forgot what they tried to do a few months ago.
I see absolutely NO reason, to prefer the XBone over the PS4. For like.... anyone.
The only reason could be "I'm a Halo/Forza fan" or "my buddy is an Xbox-only guy, so I have to buy a Xbox too, so I can play with him online".
As a former Xbox360 gamer I'm SO turned off by MS, that I can't understand why some people think "welp.... everything is ok now... I guess". (I'm excluding the *insertsystem* fanboys in general).
/rant

Top Bottom