• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Review Thread

notacat

Hope it gets good developer support. it's too playstation dominated right now, and i like Microsoft competing with them still, though I don't feel they've done so hot this generation.

NullZ3r0

Banned
These reviews seem too high. You're paying $500 for a product that makes the games you already own look and play better.

This is a great thing, but not for $500. I'll see you next year at $100 cheaper with more compelling software...

Plus I'm dumping $2K into a gaming PC. My little one is a console gamer (a Minecraft player, really) so I'll have to get one eventually.

Easily worth the $500. It's like having a high end gaming PC in your living room for dirt cheap with less headache and better optimization of older games. I am loving my ex and this is coming from someone who was turned off from console gaming for the last couple years

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Nothing others haven’t said yet. Small, heavy for a console, really quiet. After plugging in calibrations for my KS8000, it really is impressive. I really recommend doing this and then putting that Insects demo in and letting it run. WOW! Can’t wait to play my first UHD Disc when it arrives.

badb0y

Console hardware is top notch, now they have to follow it up with good software. Microsoft already lost the current generation but they can build good momentum going into next generation and be competitive again.

Lort

Banned
These reviews seem too high. You're paying $500 for a product that makes the games you already own look and play better.

This is a great thing, but not for $500. I'll see you next year at $100 cheaper with more compelling software...

Plus I'm dumping $2K into a gaming PC. My little one is a console gamer (a Minecraft player, really) so I'll have to get one eventually.

Love it! $500 too much but $2000 is fine .. u know you could spend $1900 on your pc then u can afford $500 console lol..

Luschient

Anybody having controller freezing/unsyncing issues?

Happening quite a bit on the Home screen. Getting annoying af.

Edit: after reconnecting the controller it will let me move around for a few seconds then freeze again.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

And you know.... future games....

Lort

Banned
Got a question peeps do all hdmi ports on a 4k tv support 4k/60

Not always .. my tv only has 4k60 on two out of 4 ports the other two are 4k30. I had to enable hdmi 2 enhanced in the settings to get 4k 60 hdr.

Rains

Not always .. my tv only has 4k60 on two out of 4 ports the other two are 4k30. I had to enable hdmi 2 enhanced in the settings to get 4k 60 hdr.
how do i tell which ones are which i do not have that option on my tv samsung ueju6800

wolgoen

Not necessarily. Depends on the TV make / model. With mine, I have to enable 4K/HDR ‘enhancements’ manually on the HDMI inputs. Plus only HDMI 1 and 2 slots support this, 3 and 4 do not. It all depends on your TV.

Check your TVs manual and software updates.

arhra

[...]

I'm dumping $2K into a gaming PC.

I, uh, sincerely hope you can see the irony in your post here.

I can't even tell if these posts are real anymore. WTF is going on in GAF? Lol

wolgoen

A $2K PC side by side with a $500 X1X, the PC will out perform the console yes. However, the tech and 4K graphics fidelity from the $500 X is impressive. For couch gaming for the masses and not pixel perfect extreme detail on a gaming PC, the X will be very popular.

Plus it plays 4K Blu-ray too.

Naglafar

Isn't that the exact reason that people get $500 video cards?

EdgeXL

A couple of those reviewers seem salty. Nothing to play on the X? I am sitting here wondering where I am going to find time to play through my backlog plus the upcoming games I want to play.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
A couple of those reviewers seem salty. Nothing to play on the X? I am sitting here wondering where I am going to find time to play through my backlog plus the upcoming games I want to play.

I will never understand the nothing to play mentality I've been seeing over and over. Like...legit wtf.

btrboyev

Did Verge really complain that MS canceled Scalebound (jan 2017), Fable (may 2016) and Ion (which was NOT a MS game), forgetting State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves releasing next year? And why are they citing FF7 Remake (not in development), Death Stranding (preproduction) and TLOU p2 (still no gameplay in trailers) as part of the coming PS4 lineup?

Xbox 2017 was weak. Xbox 2018 looks weak right now (Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 are currently planned as first half), but we're still in november 2017 and MS is not new to revealing games just a few months before release (take the Forza Horizon franchise, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive). I hope, after sorting out the hardware, they'll do the same with the software. If they don't, then X1X will be my last Microsoft console.

Does that mean I could count Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4, Halo 5, Recore, Sunset Overdrive, Halo Wars 2 and such as new Xbox One exclusives?

The Final Fantasy 7 remake will also be coming to Xbox eventually...well if it comes out at all.

Engadget's review said if you want to play multiplats the PS4 Pro is clearly the better deal.

He also sounded like he didn't realize that Xbox essentially runs a super boost mode on all games because he made it sound like Sony's boost mode was a feature the Xbox was missing.

It's frankly an embarrassing review for such a large publication.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

Depends on the TV make/model/year, but the likely answer is yes. I think that there was a rare model here or there that only had one port designated for that, but you wouldn’t want to own that set from when 4K was first being introduced to market.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Engadget's review said if you want to play multiplats the PS4 Pro is clearly the better deal.

He also sounded like he didn't realize that Xbox essentially runs a super boost mode on all games because he made it sound like Sony's boost mode was a feature the Xbox was missing.

That review in particular stood out to me because it really seems like they compare the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro being the exact same thing as if they had the same power Etc.

Most of these Tech blogs are literally just booting up the games and say yeah they look nice but they're not actually doing comparisons between PS4 Pro and Xbox One besides price.

rokkerkory

Sounds really uninformed

shpankey

not an idiot
There are fanboy reviewers too, make no mistake. It kind of goes with this culure where forums galvanize all gamers, even professionals.

solis74

Quick questions for those that may know?, i have spent alot of time tweaking my lg c7 display settig to get them just right for my X, if i switch it to Game mode on the tv dose that just make it more responsive or will it reset my display changes also?

MilkyJoe

waynes-world-get-a-load-of-this-guy-cam-pointing-cut-and-suck-1369254775m1.gif

I honestly can't tell if people are stupid or just trolling, anymore.

Syriel

Not sure why some reviews are claiming that Amazon Video doesn't support HDR playback on the X. It does.

It's the Netflix app that doesn't properly switch HDR on and off.

BetterCallSauls

Neo Member
Anybody having controller freezing/unsyncing issues?

Happening quite a bit on the Home screen. Getting annoying af.

Edit: after reconnecting the controller it will let me move around for a few seconds then freeze again.

Mine had that same issue last night once, but after that I didn't see it again all session.

iJudged

Banned
A $2K PC side by side with a $500 X1X, the PC will out perform the console yes. However, the tech and 4K graphics fidelity from the $500 X is impressive. For couch gaming for the masses and not pixel perfect extreme detail on a gaming PC, the X will be very popular.

Plus it plays 4K Blu-ray too.
You're witnessing salt flaw in real time.

nemisis0

Depends on the TV make/model/year, but the likely answer is yes. I think that there was a rare model here or there that only had one port designated for that, but you wouldn’t want to own that set from when 4K was first being introduced to market.

I have one of those sets but it looks amazing with all content even hdr only annoying thing is I own an x and pro so switching HDMI for hdr and 4k30 or 4k60 is annoying

So you don’t own one yet you are saying it’s not worth it lol....

I own it and think the reviews should be higher. It makes everything better. I’m playing games I wouldn’t typically play just because it does such a good job of upping the ante. The X is amazing, i finally have a piece of tech that pushes my TV to its full potential and I love it. I own a 75’ Sony 940D and have only been able to watch a few 4K Blu-ray’s and Netflix so I am loving what the X does.

Bustanen

I own it and think the reviews should be higher. It makes everything better. I’m playing games I wouldn’t typically play just because it does such a good job of upping the ante. The X is amazing, i finally have a piece of tech that pushes my TV to its full potential and I love it. I own a 75’ Sony 940D and have only been able to watch a few 4K Blu-ray’s and Netflix so I am loving what the X does.
For full potential you'll need a system that outputs native 4K all the time aka a PC :)

Syriel

Microsoft really needs to get on Netflix to sort its HDR issue.

Totally agree.

I'm burning through my 10 hour BF2 trial because its pretty and wondering what to tackle next.

My friend bought his first console for a while so hoping to play something MP with him.

Norse

If you already own the games, it also means you own a xbone so the cost is 500 minus whatever you get for your old system. I paid 229$ after my trade credits so you have to take that into account. That's cheaper than buying a better graphics card for that PC you have.

Really odd reasoning in this post. One, for someone to build a PC from scratch that handily outperforms the X is going to run you a good deal more than $500. Second, your reasoning for people paying $500 for a product that makes your games run better would also apply to someone who forks over $450-$550 for a 1070/1080 level card in order to increase the fidelity of their PC games. I mean if you don't care about 4k UHD playback or OG/360 enhanced BC, fine, but to say that $500 is 'too much' for a machine that by various accounts does a spectacular job shining up older and current games on top of its other features is pretty silly.

BANGS

Banned
Seems like a decent piece of hardware for a fair price. Once it gets some exclusives I might consider investing...

un1que

Quick question.

Can you play 4K hdr media through the media player? Or is it only through the UHD Blu-ray drive?

Top Bottom