• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Review Thread

TitusTroy

the One X needed to launch with a big time marquee title...sad that MS doesn't have many exclusives that people are really excited over anymore (at least compared to Sony)

Poona

It's disappointing to hear how MS has hyped up the 4K mantra so much with this and yet they won't even have a 4k dashboard there for launch, and instead we're stuck with the current blurry one the same that is on basic xbox one until who knows when.

Hopefully they can get it done soon as I know things like the ps4 pro has it and even apple TV.

MaulerX

It's disappointing to hear how MS has hyped up the 4K mantra so much with this and yet they won't even have a 4k dashboard there for launch, and instead we're stuck with the current blurry one the same that is on basic xbox one until who knows when.

Hopefully they can get it done soon as I know things like the ps4 pro has it and even apple TV.

Devs wanted the extra gig of RAM. They gave it to them. 9 gigs of super fast RAM for what matters most... Games.

If you want to stare at a 4K dashboard, by all means, get a Pro or an Apple TV.

WadeitOut

Yeah I'm totally bummed the squares I look at for a few seconds won't be as crisp as the squares I look at for a few seconds on my pro.

sinnergy

Who cares? Most of the time you play games, or are you staring at the dash 24/7, I rather have devs use the1 gig for games.

watdaeff4

Damn, your jimmies are rustled if you are having to resort to the dashboard comparison. Lofuckingl

mike4001_

Devs wanted the extra gig of RAM. They gave it to them. 9 gigs of super fast RAM for what matters most... Games.

If you want to stare at a 4K dashboard, by all means, get a Pro or an Apple TV.

The cool thing is: Previously devs hat 5 out of 8 GB of Ram

Now they have 9 out of 12 GB.

Thats an increase of 80%

Pathetic.
Having a 4k dash gives you nothing, it doesn't look blurry at all, the extra gig of RAM for developers is better used for games than a flippin dash.

I think the games problem really depends on the individual rather than being factual.

The majority of games even on the PS4 are third party, not exclusive games.

Infact if we just forgot about exclusive games altogether there would be no shortage of games to play.

For people like yourself that own a PC and PS4 then I can see that there's definitely less reason to consider the console. Although Phil Spencer said himself in the GameSpot interview that they're not expecting the X to sell large volumes, they know the console is niche, and he likened it to the Elite controller, something that won't be mainstream, but an option for those that want the best.

There's definitely a market for people who only game on console and want to play the best versions of games though....

A.) you’re absolutely right, there is a market for it, a nice market.

B.) I even said that I will definitely be buying one, just not this year

C.) the games problem is subjective but also almost universally agreed on that Sony has much better first party/exclusive games already released, and announced for the future, than MS currently

Neither the Pro or the X launched with a big game tailor made with the system in mind

It took months for Pro to get Nioh and Horizon, two games that really benefit from Pro support in ways everyone can agree on and see/feel regardless of display type

If X had launched with a number of games showing huge 4K texture upgrades (like Shadow of War does, that game looks better on X than it does on my mid-range PC) than I would be lined up at GameStop tomorrow at midnight.

Both consoles launched somewhat lacklusterly in terms of optimized game support. MS has handled X WAY better than Sony handles Pro tho, that’s for sure, and system wide enhancements for 1080p display owners is a huge plus for X that Pro doesn’t offer yet

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

If this is what is "stopping" you you were never going to have a X to begin with.

Hawk269

Blurry??? WTF are you talking about? It was never blurry, it outputs at 1080p and is very clean. The original PS4 outputted it UI at 1080p as well, was that blurry or is your console war allegiance that makes one 1080p UI blurry but not the other 1080p UI blurry?

If you think the Xbox One UI is blurry I would highly advise you seeking a doctor to have an examination performed on your eyes.

shpankey

not an idiot

haha, you have no clue what you're on about. have you even seen 1080p on a 4k screen? it's upscaled by your TV and still looks phenomenal. damn sure nothing remotely described as "blurry". lol. i highly doubt you are even real right now

Kacho

Damn, your jimmies are rustled if you are having to resort to the dashboard comparison. Lofuckingl

No kidding. 😂

My One X is preparing to ship now. Two more sleeps.

The Dark Souls performance increase on the One X tho. 😳

MilkyJoe

They gave a gig of ram back to games by not having a 4k dash. Priorities are non-existent during ze warz, I see.

Anyone here gonna make a One X OT?

Thelastword will.

T Ghost

My Project Scorpio order status at Best Buy changed from "pre-ordered" to "preparing". Still show "get it by 11/7". Looks like they will overnight it.
Anyone else pre-ordered from Best Buy?

The weird part for me about the Xbox one X is that I'm considering buying one just so I can have the majority of the 360 catalogue in upscaled glory. Hopefully over time it will cover all of the catalogue of games. Other than that I'd just pick up the handful of exclusives the console has had over the years.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
The weird part for me about the Xbox one X is that I'm considering buying one just so I can have the majority of the 360 catalogue in upscaled glory. Hopefully over time it will cover all of the catalogue of games. Other than that I'd just pick up the handful of exclusives the console has had over the years.

That's what pushed me over the line to get one.

timewyrm

Bc with 360 games and some og games, patches for some X1 titles, and boosts for (IIRC) all unpatched titles from day one. That's alot more than I remember getting for my pro on day one.

Laserdisk

Bc with 360 games and some og games, patches for some X1 titles, and boosts for (IIRC) all unpatched titles from day one. That's alot more than I remember getting for my pro on day one.
42 games day one.

Keeping in mind that some games are receiving PS4 Pro support via updates, while newer ones like Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare have the enhancements included on-disc, here’s the titles that will take advantage of PS4 Pro on November 10:
Battlefield 1
Battlezone
Bound
Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Driveclub VR
FIFA 17
Firewatch
Helldivers
Hitman
Hustle Kings
inFamous First Light
inFamous Second Son
Knack
Mafia III
Mantis Burn Racing
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
NBA 2K17
Paragon
PlayStation VR Worlds
Ratchet & Clank
Rez Infinite
RIGS Mechanized Combat League
Rise Of The Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration
Robinson: The Journey
Smite
Super Stardust Ultra
The Elders Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
The Last Of Us Remastered
The Last Of Us: Left Behind
The Playroom VR
Titanfall 2
Tumble
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Viking Squad
Wheels of Aurelia
World Of Tanks
XCOM 2

Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...games-support-on-day-one/#MpwOPSVGDMLV3Ezl.99

rokkerkory

Isn't every single xbox one game receiving some sort of enhancements on the X? Whether patched or not, system level enhancements are built in?

timewyrm

Isn't every single xbox one game receiving some sort of enhancements on the X? Whether patched or not, system level enhancements are built in?

All games will play better, even if not enhanced:

"As well as looking better, most Xbox One S games currently use a dynamic resolution scaling where the game scales its graphical output according to how much processing power is needed. Something might render at 900p when things are quiet, but pull it back down to 720p when lots of processor heavy things are going on - explosions, particle effects, enemy AI etc. The Xbox One X’s power means it won’t have to do that and will run dynamically scaled games at full throttle. So no drops in resolution or framerate. Even backwards compatible stuff will benefit."

http://www.gamesradar.com/8-ways-xbox-one-x-will-make-your-gaming-life-better/

Hawk269

Yup. The 16xAF is the big one and also locking thing if the game had variable resolution. If a game had variable resolution it will be locked into whatever the devs designated as the highest resolution, which most likely will be 1080p. This is for EVERY game, then there are the ones that get a special enhanced patch that does even more on a game by game basis.

rokkerkory

"As well as looking better, most Xbox One S games currently use a dynamic resolution scaling where the game scales its graphical output according to how much processing power is needed. Something might render at 900p when things are quiet, but pull it back down to 720p when lots of processor heavy things are going on - explosions, particle effects, enemy AI etc. The Xbox One X’s power means it won’t have to do that and will run dynamically scaled games at full throttle. So no drops in resolution or framerate. Even backwards compatible stuff will benefit."

Yup. The 16xAF is the big one and also locking thing if the game had variable resolution. If a game had variable resolution it will be locked into whatever the devs designated as the highest resolution, which most likely will be 1080p. This is for EVERY game, then there are the ones that get a special enhanced patch that does even more on a game by game basis.

Welp there you go. No 'boost' mode even needed.

EVERY one game will run better from day 1. Great stuff.

fazzk7

Neo Member
I don't have a external HDD for my xbox one right now but I want to be prepared for Tuesday.

I picked up a WD 4TB My Passport drive from BB today. Any opinions on this drive and if it will be fast and reliable for the X. I want to start transferring all the games and data so I can plug and play on Tuesday.

Thanks!

solis74

great!

My Project Scorpio order status at Best Buy changed from "pre-ordered" to "preparing". Still show "get it by 11/7". Looks like they will overnight it.

I did, i have store pick up for Nov 6th (tomorrow) at 11pm! :D

I thought that too until I clicked on Manage Order button (which was locked until Friday) and it said delivery by Thursday the 9th. I had to choose 1 day shipping for Tuesday the 7th.

the One X needed to launch with a big time marquee title...sad that MS doesn't have many exclusives that people are really excited over anymore (at least compared to Sony)

PUGB? Third Party exclusives? The Two Disney Exclusives? Enhanced recently released games like Forza 7? They'll be fine from the pre-order numbers I've seen.

RC0101

I don't have a external HDD for my xbox one right now but I want to be prepared for Tuesday.

I picked up a WD 4TB My Passport drive from BB today. Any opinions on this drive and if it will be fast and reliable for the X. I want to start transferring all the games and data so I can plug and play on Tuesday.

Thanks!
You are good to go. That drive will work just great

OCD Guy

Correct it's just a fast drive but it's not a sshd.

With the magic they worked, imagine if it was an ssd.

The difference in loading times is incredible to be fair. Guess that's what happens when things are optimised.

Putting an SSD in a PS4 didn't make as much difference on games like Witcher 3 etc

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
With the magic they worked, imagine if it was an ssd.

The difference in loading times is incredible to be fair.

Putting an SSD in a PS4 didn't make as much difference on games like Witcher 3 etc

I believe the difference is 5400rpm vs 7200rpm. Maybe I'm wrong.

pieface

Yeah the dash being 1080 is no problem for me. I'd rather the RAM be used for those sweet textures.

Getting hyped for this now.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Which again is great. I'm sure the standard hdd is 5400rpm in the PS4 and I doubt putting a 7200rpm would reduce loading by the same amount.

I believe you are correct. I think both og consoles shipped with only Sata II support which is why external drives on xbone were so much faster because USB 3.0 beats Sata II by quite a bit.

Maybe one x has Sata III support?

OCD Guy

I believe you are correct. I think both og consoles shipped with only Sata II support which is why external drives on xbone were so much faster because USB 3.0 beats Sata II by quite a bit.

Maybe one x has Sata III support?

Apparently Sata III 5400rpm CLICK ME

Anandtech also believe it's Sata III

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11992/the-xbox-one-x-review/3

For those hoping for all flash based storage in their console, those days are still a long way off. The amount of storage needed for games, especially those with 4K assets, is copious, to say the least, so for now we're stuck with spinning disks. Digital Foundry reports that the Xbox One X will have 50% more bandwidth to the hard drive, which likely means the latest model is finally SATA III, rather than SATA II, for the 2.5" HDD. Unlike the short lived Xbox One Elite, there doesn't appear to be any SSHD options at this time.

Top Bottom