• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Review Thread

Well said.

To add to that, popular sports games like Madden, NHL, NBA Live don’t have PC versions, so that is amplified for those diehard gamers.

Take your NFS, COD, and other high selling franchises for console only gamers and 4k gamers, XB1X will be the platform of choice once the price comes down. The future is much brighter than sony gaf members are working so hard to paint it as. They only see the world through their limited personal perspective and are projecting their bias onto the industry.

This is an amazing piece of kit extremely well designed and thought out, it’s going to do well once it falls into the right price point.
Sports games are gonna render at 4K Native on both (already do on Pro) so that's not a good example, tbh.

shpankey

not an idiot
4k is just one part of a myriad of things (4k textures, framerate, supersampling and antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, load times, sound, etc)

TitusTroy

You speak of the "average" console player willingness to pay and mention how the PS4 Pro is cheaper.

So you, yourself, is implying that the Pro is targeted more for the "average" player and not the hardcore

Damn, why does every single Xbox thread have to get invaded by Sony fanboys who perform mental gymnastics

all your implications regarding my post are wrong...I never said the 'average' console player is willing to pay...I said the exact opposite...console players on average are casual gamers that like the typical console cycle of releases...these mid-cycle revisions do not appeal to them because they don't want to spend extra $$...if they did then they would game on a decent PC

the PS4 Pro is cheaper then the One X which is going to play a big role in people's minds...yes the X is more powerful but do you really think the average console player knows which GPU is inside each console or which CPU they use?...hell no...that's the hardcore PC crowd...in the end console players care about getting a decent gaming machine at an affordable price...they don't care about bleeding edge graphics or hardware

shpankey

not an idiot
Completely disagree with the above. Every noncasual gamer ever knows which console is the most powerful. A hard lesson msft learned against ps4 w/ XBO when they lost their dominant position (360) in the US almost overnight.

While you’re quite right, that comes at a higher cost.

Not only that but PC’s are nowhere near as plug and play as a console. Yes Nvidia provide one click optimisation, and PC is nowhere near as complicated as some people make out, it’s certainly not as easy as some people make out either.

I’ve had (as I’m sure many pc gamers have) times where I’ll get random errors and I have to spend a little while messing with drivers, whether it be reverting to a previous driver for better performance, or editing ini files etc.
Definitely not denying that.
Some people forget that people that frequent forums like this, and have the knowledge many of us do are in a minority. There are people that struggle to work a cable box or DVR let alone self diagnose or start troubleshooting a pc.
True, that's a good point.
All of that aside while I prefer the performance I get on a PC, I personally end up spending more time looking at temps and frame rate counters than I do playing the game. I’m always trying to find a way to squeeze extra performance. I’ve also lost count of how many times in the past I’ve messed about with fan configurations, positive pressure, negative pressure, setting the top as exhaust, or intake, push pull, what are the best temps etc.

With a console I have no choice, I start the game and that’s it, and sometimes it’s nice to do that. I know in the evening after work if I want to play a game, on a console it’s just gonna run generally.
True, but it doesn't always have to be that way, man. I share your obsession, not gonna lie, but a little self-restraint goes a long way. And the vast majority of the time, a game on PC is going to run just fine too, without any need for optimization or tinkering. But you're right, console performance, while limited, is more predictable.
But I’d be lying if I said I didn’t die a bit inside when I play a game with crappy frame rate. I wish consoles didn’t focus on 4k, it’s far too soon in my opinion. I’ve noticed a few games having performance or quality mode, and I’d love that to become common place, as it gives people like myself a choice of frame rate over resolution.
Agreed. Hope this becomes standard on next gen consoles.
It’s easy to follow, he works on a PC all day and probably wants to sit on his couch and game on his bigscreen TV and sound system w/ friends on XBL and separate the work experience (sitting at a monitor all day) from his gaming experience. And I’m not even trying here.

He also in no way dismissed PC gaming, that I could see anyhow.
All possible with a PC though (except for XBL afaik).

watdaeff4

all your implications regarding my post are wrong...I never said the 'average' console player is willing to pay...I said the exact opposite...console players on average are casual gamers that like the typical console cycle of releases...these mid-cycle revisions do not appeal to them because they don't want to spend extra $$...if they did then they would game on a decent PC

the PS4 Pro is cheaper then the One X which is going to play a big role in people's minds...yes the X is more powerful but do you really think the average console player knows which GPU is inside each console or which CPU they use?...hell no...that's the hardcore PC crowd...in the end console players care about getting a decent gaming machine at an affordable price...they don't care about bleeding edge graphics or hardware

So then why do you keep bringing up the Pro in terms of the average console player?

You keep saying one thing then the other

You had an issue when another poster stated the X was targeted for the hardcore. Saying the Pro was too. But yet you keep bringing up how the Pro is more appealing to the average console player due to the price point.

You're not making a good argument except for "I like Sony and everyone else should too"

TitusTroy

So then why do you keep bringing up the Pro in terms of the average console player?

You keep saying one thing then the other

because the Pro is a console and it's competing against the One X...my point is that the Pro is cheaper and will appeal to more people regardless if the X is more powerful...apples to apples comparison...anyway I don't even think the Pro is selling like hot cakes compared to the PS4 original which again proves my point that console players know that Sony and MS are trying to rip them off with these mid-cycle revisions and they are not falling for it...Sony already won this generation and both companies need to learn from this and focus on 2020 when the true next-gen consoles come out

by then 4K will likely have a much larger consumer base as well...these Pro versions are almost a test run/prototype

watdaeff4

because the Pro is a console and it's competing against the One X...apples to apples comparison...anyway I don't even think the Pro is selling like hot cakes compared to the PS4 original which again proves my point that console players know that Sony and MS are trying to rip them off with these mid-cycle revisions and they are not falling for it...Sony already won this generation and both companies need to learn from this and focus on 2020 when the true next-gen consoles come out

by then 4K will likely have a much larger consumer base as well...these Pro versions are almost a test run/prototype

Please read my edit

shpankey

not an idiot
Fair enough. I wouldn't find it difficult to implement, but I recognize that may not apply to everyone.
Don’t get me wrong, I do and love both pc and console gaming, both have their place imo and sometimes I’m just in the mood for one or the other. But I totally get the work thing, sometimes I just want to plop on the couch and mess about on my ps4pro or xbo after a brutal work session on my pc all day.

Ps this is where Play Anywhere is REALLY nice, switching between them and having all my progress from the other automatically is truly a nice feature.

TitusTroy

Please read my edit

here I'll make it simple for you...my point is that the Pro is cheaper and will appeal to more people regardless if the X is more powerful...got it now?

the X is a great console but MS doesn't understand their consumer market...the X is too expensive as is...Sony made their version cheaper and it came out a year ahead of the One X...it's simple math and economics

AmyS

Wait, according to DigitalFoundry the X1X dashboard / UI is only going to be 1080p?

I thought Microsoft had been able to get the dashboard running in 4K while also reducing the 4 GB for the OS to 3 GB, allowing devs access to 9 GB for games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-microsoft-xbox-one-x-review

The one fly in the ointment here is that if you run Xbox One X on a 4K screen, you're still getting a 1080p dashboard, upscaled - just as it is on the S model. When we visited Microsoft at the end of March, the original plan was to reserve 1GB of RAM for the upgraded ultra HD dashboard, leaving 8GB total for developers. Microsoft tells us that game-makers said that they could use the extra memory, so plans for the 4K front-end were dropped.

watdaeff4

here I'll make it simple for you...my point is that the Pro is cheaper and will appeal to more people regardless if the X is more powerful...got it now?

I call it like I see it...the X is a great console but MS doesn't understand their consumers...the X is too expensive as is...Sony made their version cheaper and it came out a year ahead of the One X...it's simple math and economics

I'll make my point simple for you.

The point is that the X is more powerful than the Pro. With that comes extra expense. They designed it for the hardcore console gamer.

Sony cheapened out with a half-step to keep more appeal for the average gamer. Therefore it targeted not to the true hardcore.....got it now?

TitusTroy

I'll make my point simple for you.

The point is that the X is more powerful than the Pro. With that comes extra expense. They designed it for the hardcore console gamer.

Sony cheapened out with a half-step to keep more appeal for the average gamer. Therefore it targeted not to the true hardcore.....got it now?

lol...they went half way because they didn't need to deliver a major upgrade because their OG PS4 was pretty powerful by itself...Microsoft needed to deliver a major upgrade because the OG Xbox One was underpowered compared to the PS4...how many OG Xbox One games were outputting at less then 1080p?...it was embarrasing

TitusTroy

Seriously lol

No idea why TitusTroy is shilling Sony so hard right now. It's like all this positive Xbox news is making certain people go crazy or something.

you keep leaving out the part where I have constantly said that the X is more powerful then the Pro...but that alone is not going to make the X a success, which is my point

watdaeff4

lol...they went half way because they didn't need to deliver a major upgrade because their OG PS4 was pretty powerful by itself...Microsoft needed to deliver a major upgrade because the OG Xbox One was underpowered compared to the PS4...how many OG Xbox One games were outputting at less then 1080p?...it was embarrasing

Lol so now that you see how silly your previous "point" was, your next stage of the NeoGaf Sony fanboy Mental Gymnastic Olympics is to tear down the OG Xbox one.

LofrickingL

OCD Guy

If success is measured by outselling the PS4 then there’s absolutely nothing Microsoft can do at this point. Even if they were selling the X at half price they still wouldn’t catch up.

The reality is Microsoft have been better off this gen than last gen, despite the 360 being seen as more “successful” on forums. They weren’t making profits on the 360 and the RROD issues cost them crazy amounts of money.

shpankey

not an idiot
you keep leaving out the part where I have constantly said that the X is more powerful then the Pro...but that alone is not going to make the X a success, which is my point
Then why point out the ps4 having more power and XBO having games not at full 1080p? Something difficult (at best) to even see.

TitusTroy

Then why point out the ps4 having more power and XBO having games not at full 1080p? Something difficult (at best) to even see.

because I was responding to the poster that said the PS4 to Pro revision was not that major...I was explaining to him the reason why that was

shpankey

not an idiot
If success is measured by outselling the PS4 then there’s absolutely nothing Microsoft can do at this point. Even if they were selling the X at half price they still wouldn’t catch up.

The reality is Microsoft have been better off this gen than last gen, despite the 360 being seen as more “successful”. They weren’t making profits on the 360 and the RROD issues cost them crazy amounts of money.
True and good point. I agree this isn’t about winning (that’s over) but being competitive again and for the future of the brand. With the S and now the X, they are showing they are for real again and will be a force to be reckoned with. I believe in 1 to 2 years they will outsell the ps4 on multiplatform games in the US. A lofty goal for sure, but if they can gain back US dominance, they will have their place again and secure their future (nextgen in particular, barring any more idiotic mistakes). Losing the US was all about being underpowered (imo) from the PS4 which was catastrophic for their brand which revolved around that aspect on the 360.

watdaeff4

True and good point. I agree this isn’t about winning (that’s over) but being competitive again and for the future of the brand. With the S and now the X, they are showing they are for real again and will be a force to be reckoned with. I believe in 2 years they will outsell the ps4 on multiplatform games in the US. A lofty goal for sure, but if the can gain back US dominance, they will have their place. Losing the US was all about being underpowered (imo) from the PS4 which was catastrophic for their brand which revolved around that aspect on the 360.

Them losing the US was a perfect storm:

No Used Games was a big one
$100 more
Weaker console
Sony not screwing up like with the PS3 launch

shpankey

not an idiot
Them losing the US was a perfect storm:

No Used Games was a big one
$100 more
Weaker console
Sony not screwing up like with the PS3 launch
True, I didn’t mean to say it was only about power, but definitely a big one. but they are taking the right steps imo to fight for it back. I think they can, but we’ll see I suppose.

watdaeff4

True, I didn’t mean to say it was only about power, but definitely a big one. but they are taking the right steps imo to fight for it back. I think they can, but we’ll see I suppose.

Actually out of those four factors I mentioned, I think power is the least significant by far.

shpankey

not an idiot
Really? Interesting. I think it was the biggest by far, but that’s from my anecdotal evidence and personal opinion only. I don’t count gafs opinions here, as they are really a minority to average US gamers (madden, cod gamers w/ no pcs).

On second thought, cost was probably right there w/ it. Fair enough. But all I heard from avg gamers i ran into was “power this n power that” for a brand centered around being the most powerful is all I mean.

watdaeff4

Really? Interesting. I think it was the biggest by far, but that’s from my anecdotal evidence and personal opinion only. I don’t count gafs opinions here, as they are really a minority to average US gamers (madden, cod gamers w/ no pcs).

On second thought, cost was probably right there w/ it. Fair enough. But all I heard from avg gamers i ran into was “power this n power that” for a brand centered around being the most powerful is all I mean.

Just my take:

The no used games/always online/DRM set a negative tone right out of the gate. Turned a lot off, including myself.

Then let's be serious here, the PlayStation is a bigger brand than Xbox. The main reasons that the X360 outsold the PS3 in the US was coming out a year earlier AND being significantly cheaper. The PS3 launch was an utter mess coupled with X360 having some great games when it did finally launch.

Then at the full reveal you add in an extra $100 over the PS4 and that's all she wrote. XB1 was toast

Purest 78

Completely disagree with the above. Every noncasual gamer ever knows which console is the most powerful. A hard lesson msft learned against ps4 w/ XBO when they lost their dominant position (360) in the US almost overnight.

Ps4 was more powerful and $100 less than X1 that was a easy choice for casuals. Actually the most powerful console has never won a console generation.

rokkerkory

3b366212a6a22d1558079507d4cc38ff619470a5ce81a0e3d160f4bb78bd3763.gif

munroe

This looks like it's yet again turned into a whose is bigger competition and gone away from the actual reviews

MilkyJoe

And now the Pro is the embarrassment. Even Sony defending its lack of support on their base model.

I still can't decide about this and the reviews are making me think maybe not - at the current price.

I do have a 4K HDR TV but it's not OLED but a decent enough mid-range set (cost me about £700 last year).

It's 49" and I sit about six foot away.

I find how it upscales my S gives a very good image (for my requirements anyway) in terms of definition and HDR so not sure how much of a difference I'm going to see.

I use my S for UHD discs too but again am satisfied with what I see.

Not sure I'm going to get a "mind blown" difference by upgrading

Swass

Not sure I'm going to get a "mind blown" difference by upgrading

I think a lot of X buyers who upgrade are going to feel this way.. when you boot it up and it's the same dash, same games, same experience, same everything really. they are going to question their purchase especially if they don't have a 4K display. Paying double for a midgen refresh is a tough pill to swallow.

OCD Guy

I think a lot of X buyers who upgrade are going to feel this way.. when you boot it up and it's the same dash, same games, same experience, same everything really. they are going to question their purchase especially if they don't have a 4K display. Paying double for a midgen refresh is a tough pill to swallow.

Same for PS4 pro too isn’t it? Same U.I, same games, etc

If anything the X is going to be an even bigger difference in games. The original Xbox one is quite weak. There’s going to be a larger difference between X and One than there is PS4 and Pro.

Also anyone buying one of these refreshed consoles is surely well aware that it’s the same OS and games.

If disappointment is because they’re expecting a different UI and games that’s on them surely...

It’s funny because had MS made a different OS, exclusive X games etc then people would criticise them for fragmenting and shitting on Xbox one owners, and proclaiming how Sony is for the gamers and allows Pro owners to play the same games as PS4.

I think the real issue online, is some people have brand loyalty and want to shit on other companies regardless of what they do....

watdaeff4

Yet you got a PS4 Pro

😂 LoL

Same for PS4 pro too isn’t it? Same U.I, same games, etc

If anything the X is going to be an even bigger difference in games. The original Xbox one is quite weak. There’s going to be a larger difference between X and One than there is PS4 and Pro.

Also anyone buying one of these refreshed consoles is surely well aware that it’s the same OS and games.

If disappointment is because they’re expecting a different UI and games that’s on them surely...

It’s funny because had MS made a different OS, exclusive X games etc then people would criticise them for fragmenting and shitting on Xbox one owners, and proclaiming how Sony is for the gamers and allows Pro owners to play the same games as PS4.

I think the real issue online, is some people have brand loyalty and want to shit on other companies regardless of what they do....

Couldn't said better , and your very last written part, that is in a nutshell %98 SonyGAF in MS threads.

Yet you got a PS4 Pro

Good Lord you got em sooo good...LoLz

Swass

Yet you got a PS4 Pro

I did which is why I am speaking from experience though I sold my og PS4 for $250 before the Pro announce so it was only a $100 upgrade.. I also decided to get a Scorpio Edition when they came back available at Best Buy.. it doesn't change my opinion. And the Pro also wasn't double the price of the slim when it launched. My only reason for getting a X is I sold my 2TB S for $300 over the summer and have best buy rewards to cover the difference.. wouldn't do it if I was paying full price out of pocket.

gamz

I do which is why I am speaking from experience.. I also decided to get a Scorpio Edition when they came back available at Best Buy.. it doesn't change my opinion.

So you are warning potential buyers but not taking your own warnings? Okay...

Top Bottom