• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Review Thread

OCD Guy

How does this matter unless there are games developed specifically for the X that won't run on the base Xbone?

We've seen evidence already that it'll benefit X enhanced games.

Developers will have more resources when doing patches on the X than they would on the Pro. The additonal ram is one of the reasons X updates for certain games are getting 4k textures.

A game doesn't need to be exclusive to make use of the additional power, the additional power and patches is the whole point of the more powerful refreshes. Not having exclusive PS4 Pro games hasn't stopped developers making use of the additional power has it? Infact the more powerful the refreshed consoles were the more chance of getting native 4k games instead of checkerboard and 1440p.

I'm personally looking forward to when most of the initial Xbox One X game updates are out and Digital Foundry start looking at all of the improvements in detail, later this week. Reviewing the console before the launch was a nice hors d'oeuvre but the game specific analysis videos that really show-off the console are what I'm most interested in.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
For anybody asking themselves why their updates for xbox one x enhanced games don't seem to be appearing when they quite clearly are available... I have a work around.

Its stupid, but works.

Remove the game. Just go ahead and remove it, all updates, the lot. Just keep your save file. Then... Reinstall.

It should pick up that you've installed a XBOX enhanced game and download all the correct patches.

This is the only way I got AC:Origins to update, sadly... but at least it works.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
For anybody asking themselves why their updates for xbox one x enhanced games don't seem to be appearing when they quite clearly are available... I have a work around.

Its stupid, but works.

Remove the game. Just go ahead and remove it, all updates, the lot. Just keep your save file. Then... Reinstall.

It should pick up that you've installed a XBOX enhanced game and download all the correct patches.

This is the only way I got AC:Origins to update, sadly... but at least it works.

My bandwidth cap says no lol.

Its stupid, but works.

I don't have an X but my games are updating with ridiculous massive patches, isn't this meant to be optional? I don't need 4k texture packs, I don't have a fucking X lol

arhra

All my enhanced games are showing up properly under the filter now after installing the latest alpha preview build.

If you have the latest patches your game are updated properly. It's just the filter that's not picking up some of the updates.

Sanctuary

Higher resolution textures and faster loading as well as other effects that are ram dependant.

I know what the ram can be used for, but it doesn't matter unless those assets are actually implemented. And if the system ends up only being 20% of the total Xbone sales (at best), how many developers do you really believe are going to add higher quality assets?

All you have to do is look no further than the PS4 Pro to see where all of that extra power is going to get you. So far it's been completely random and usually what ends up happening aside from the few games that take advantage of a higher resolution is a more stable frame rate, and that system has a lot more games on it. Developers aren't simply ignoring patching games for the Pro because of anything hardware related alone.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I know what the ram can be used for, but it doesn't matter unless those assets are actually implemented. And if the system ends up only being 20% of the total Xbone sales (at best), how many developers do you really believe are going to add higher quality assets?

All you have to do is look no further than the PS4 Pro to see where all of that extra power is going to get you. So far it's been completely random and usually what ends up happening aside from the few games that take advantage of a higher resolution is a more stable frame rate, and that system has a lot more games on it. Developers aren't simply ignoring patching games for the Pro because of anything hardware related alone.

You're making so many assumptions based on...I'm not sure what.

The PS4 pro is literally a completely different situation and philsophy than the Xbox one X.

Hawk269

How does this matter unless there are games developed specifically for the X that won't run on the base Xbone?

You clearly do not understand how games are made or how having 4k textures added in that takes up memory. A game does not have to be made specifically for the Xbox One X to use the 9gb of RAM. They can take a launch Xbox One game and add in 4k textures and eat up that 9gb of RAM with no problem.

The release of the Xbox One X is seriously causing some people to have breakdowns.

Hawk269

I think you are going to be surprised at what they are going to do. IMHO what they will begin to do is push for developers and with their own studios to make the game on the Xbox One X first and down port the game. I think that is why they invested in making the development platform on the Xbox One X so good that not only gives them the ability to take advantage of the "X" but it makes making/porting games down to the Xbox One/S easier.

I do believe we are gong to see even more 900p or games with variable resolutions on the Xbox One/S going forward as more devs move to the Xbox One X and make their games on it taking advantage of the features and then port them to other systems and sacrifice some texture resolution and overall resolution depending on what the down port unit is capable of.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You clearly do not understand how games are made or how having 4k textures added in that takes up memory. A game does not have to be made specifically for the Xbox One X to use the 9gb of RAM. They can take a launch Xbox One game and add in 4k textures and eat up that 9gb of RAM with no problem.

The release of the Xbox One X is seriously causing some people to have breakdowns.

I don't think people relaize that the textures already exist and that the API and one x was built and crafted to make every 900p and 1080p game run in 4k.

The pro wasnt built with the same philsophy at all.

Hawk269

I don't think people relaize that the textures already exist and that the API and one x was built and crafted to make every 900p and 1080p game run in 4k.

The pro wasnt built with the same philsophy at all.

Correct. The Pro was made to make games run at a higher resolution and not much else. The extra .5gb of RAM they gave it was primarily to have perhaps better textures on a main character or for certain scenes but by and large due to the amount of memory it has available to games (5.5gb) they really can't do much to raise texture resolution beyond the base console. With that said, the games on a base Ps4 and PRO still look really good and will continue to look good. But running games at times at 4k Native and using higher level of detail textures and/or 4k textures takes up a lot of RAM.

mad597

Banned

Xone enhanced games are using the extra ram for allowing High quality textures from the PC builds which could not happen without the Extra ram. A 4k dash is going to be practically un noticeable compared to high res textures in games. MS prioritized games with X1X and they made the right call.

joshwaan

What? Why would you do that lol!?

Sorry i meant, would the Xbox one X downscale the game from 4K if supported and display at 1080p. Would it no look better doing this? or just been displayed at 1080P with super sampling look better?

The Panasonic VT65 65" is a 1080P TV btw

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Sorry i meant, would the Xbox one X downscale the game from 4K if supported and display at 1080p. Would it no look better doing this? or just been displayed at 1080P with super sampling look better?

The Panasonic VT65 65" is a 1080P TV btw

I think you are asking would 4k assets being downsampled look better then just super sampling?

Aklamarth

Sanctuary said:

They mean for the XBX specific enhancements. In console development every extra RAM can make the developer life easier.

Bioshocker

I think they are in a great position. PS4 might find some use for a few exclusives, everything else is better on Xbox. PUBG in December will finish the job.

This is where I'm at too. I was expecting PS4 to be my primary allround console and Xbox One to be for exclusives only. It has turned out to be the opposite. I haven't used my PS4 for almost two months now. With the Elite controller and new sleek OS Xbox One is the console I choose for everything except PlayStation exclusives. And yes, those are significant enough to justify owning a PS4. No doubt.

Sanctuary

I think you are going to be surprised at what they are going to do. IMHO what they will begin to do is push for developers and with their own studios to make the game on the Xbox One X first and down port the game. I think that is why they invested in making the development platform on the Xbox One X so good that not only gives them the ability to take advantage of the "X" but it makes making/porting games down to the Xbox One/S easier.

I do believe we are gong to see even more 900p or games with variable resolutions on the Xbox One/S going forward as more devs move to the Xbox One X and make their games on it taking advantage of the features and then port them to other systems and sacrifice some texture resolution and overall resolution depending on what the down port unit is capable of.

We'll see I guess, but history has so far proven otherwise. Having more horsepower doesn't magically make a developer that had no interest, or wasn't agreeable to your original terms want to do a 180. Having the most powerful hardware is obviously not the most important factor, or else the majority of the multiplat games on PC anymore wouldn't be ports of the console versions. It would instead be the other way around like it always had been until 2006.

Also, when the total sales of the X are going to be a fraction of the total Xbones in the wild, developers really have no reason to spend even more money developing special features for a much smaller user base, especially when the cost of games in general has been a huge point of contention for a long while. This is actually probably the biggest negative to having iterative upgrades and not a new generation.

I'll happily eat crow, but I think a lot of you are being extremely naive in believing that this system will be the panacea Microsoft needed for the console wars and that their library is just going to spontaneously blow up. For those who really needed to have the best possible version of their games at any given point, they were already playing them on PC anyway. All that's left are exclusives.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
We'll see I guess, but history has so far proven otherwise. Having more horsepower doesn't magically make a developer that had no interest, or wasn't agreeable to your original terms want to do a 180. Having the most powerful hardware is obviously not the most important factor, or else the majority of the multiplat games on PC anymore wouldn't be ports of the console versions. It would instead be the other way around like it always had been until 2006.

Also, when the total sales of the X are going to be a fraction of the total Xbones in the wild, developers really have no reason to spend even more money developing special features for a much smaller user base, especially when the cost of games in general has been a huge point of contention for a long while.

I'll happily eat crow, but I think a lot of you are being extremely naive in believing that this system will be the panacea Microsoft needed for the console wars and that their library is just going to spontaneously blow up.

While you have good points you seem to be forgetting developers love pushing the envelope and want to see their creations look as best as possible. With the way the X is designed they can do that very easily.

The X will entice some developers. Is it going to suddenly spike the library to 2000 games. No, but it will definitely help.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
While you have good points you seem to be forgetting developers love pushing the envelope and want to see their creations look as best as possible. With the way the X is designed they can do that very easily.

The X will entice some developers. Is it going to suddenly spike the library to 2000 games. No, but it will definitely help.

MS smartest move was the additional RAM, using it as a ram disk to speed loading up requires essentially very little to no effort and higher resolution textures are already available for the PC edition so making space in memory for them is also quite easy (they will need more bandwidth for reads of course, but the device has plenty of RAM bandwidth too).

RootCause

I'm personally looking forward to when most of the initial Xbox One X game updates are out and Digital Foundry start looking at all of the improvements in detail, later this week. Reviewing the console before the launch was a nice hors d'oeuvre but the game specific analysis videos that really show-off the console are what I'm most interested in.
Can't wait either. Hope we get tons of comparisons tomorrow.

MilkyJoe

Texture quality, 4K assets... how does low, medium, high and ultra work on PC??

Are people thick or is this some last minute onslaught of self delusion?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If they could only make it run PlayStation games, they'd really have something.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'

Mine runs playstation games? You know, Wolf, Creed, COD?

Ohhh, you mean, if only it ran EXCLUSIVES... Yeah ok, enjoy your 5 exclusives that actually matter while everybody else enjoys, well, everything else ;)

MilkyJoe

If people cared they'd buy a Playstation.

The only game that was exclusive that made me want a playstation was Ace Comnbat 7

That exclusivity lasted about 15 seconds, so I'm £399 in pocket.

joshwaan

Picked my Scorpio edition up and got Assassins Creed Origins Deluxe and Wolfenstien 2 for $49 AUD each :)

Updating few games Shadow of War's got a new 9.3GB update :)

Breakage

So I just read that the One X has its own bootup animation. Perhaps it's a sign that iconic boot ups are making a comeback.

Top Bottom